Neutral Stages

Loki Laufeyson

Contrary to popular belief, i do not have a problem with competitive Smash playing.

What are the most neutral stages (without going Omegas) for both versions? I know we got Battlefield and Smashville's back in the Wii U, but what else? I have heard it said that Final Destination isnt as neutral as it seems. (im unclear as to why tho)

Yeah, FD is NOT neutral. It gives a big advantage to characters with projectiles. I find it to be a really boring stage anyway.

I'd say Town and City is neutral. I see nothing ban-worthy about it. Luigi's Mansion and the FE stages are fairly neutral as well, imo, because they all gradually change from completely flat to full of platforms and vice versa. And they don't have any hazards.

Edited by Anacybele

Smashville and Battlefield are quite clearly the most neutral imo.

Luigi's Mansion and the FE stages are fairly neutral as well, imo, because they all gradually change from completely flat to full of platforms and vice versa.

Not Coliseum, seeing as there are no cliffs whatsoever. While I agree with them being legal, I don't see Castle Siege or Arena Ferox as among the most neutral, either, due to the changes that happen.

Final Destination

Battlefield

Smashville

Town & City

Duck Hunt

Lylat Cruise

Are the most neutral stages so far. In terms of the Wii U.

Yeah, FD is NOT neutral. It gives a big advantage to characters with projectiles. I find it to be a really boring stage anyway.

I'd say Town and City is neutral. I see nothing ban-worthy about it. Luigi's Mansion and the FE stages are fairly neutral as well, imo, because they all gradually change from completely flat to full of platforms and vice versa. And they don't have any hazards.

Luigi's Mansion has problems where the pillars block attacks/projectiles and you can tech out of a knockback because of the ceiling.

Arena Ferox has the same issue with the platforms and the amount of statues that blocks your projectiles and knockbacks. Colliseum is not played because of the walk offs.

Edited by kingddd

Not Coliseum, seeing as there are no cliffs whatsoever. While I agree with them being legal, I don't see Castle Siege or Arena Ferox as among the most neutral, either, due to the changes that happen.

I never said they were among the most neutral... Just that they're fairly neutral, imo.

Duck Hunt

Ngl, i didnt realize there was a stage. Omg. That sounds gr9.

I never said they were among the most neutral... Just that they're fairly neutral, imo.

Hardly. Things rising and falling like that...If Castle Siege didnt do the mode shift like that, id agree, but that last phase, man...that last phase....D: Arena Ferox has like platforms and conveyors and junk too. If it werent for the falling lights, id say Boxing Ring would be a good contender. A bit huge tho.

3ds: FD/Omega, Battlefield, Yoshi's. Everything else has a weird significant (yoshi's platform doesn't count) stage thing that can mess stuff up.

Wii U: FD/Omega, Battlefield, Smashville, maybe Lylat Cruise but I'd have this as a counterpick because it 4 stages makes stage striking weird. I guess town and city could work but Lylat Cruise being not entirely neutral imo might make it a total of 4 neutral stages again.

There are a bunch of stages in the Wii U version that are close imo, but imo seem a bit too extreme in how they reward certain playstyles to be a neutral. Then again, I've only played the Wii U version 3 times so I haven't even played on all of the stages.

that's why people do stage striking in tournaments. btw walk-offs are a big no-no. I do think Castle Siege is a good counterpick.

Edited by Comet

Pilotwings and Skyworld are at least viable as counterpicks, if not starters. Castle Siege is generally considered comp-viable as well. Nobody's mentioned Halberd, either.

Pilotwings and Skyworld are at least viable as counterpicks, if not starters. Castle Siege is generally considered comp-viable as well. Nobody's mentioned Halberd, either.

Halberd has bombs and lasers.

Those stage hazards are barely a problem. It's like a Whispy Woods blowing on Dreamland kind of thing.

yeah, this is how it is 99.99% of the time

At least Whispy can't kill you. I've seen matches end because of that claw.

@1:45

Ok, but really, how often do you see that happen? I'll go ahead and answer that for you: almost never.

Pilotwings

In competitive play, Pilotwings is banned due to being too campy. Certain small characters can hide in little nooks in the plane that make them hard to approach. Jigglypuff and Pikachu for example have a huge advantage on that stage.

Smashville is the "most neutral" stage according to most pro Smashers, as the single platform makes things more difficult to camp and helps with approaches, but it moves so they don't always have the advantage. Next would probably be Battlefield. Yoshi's Island and Town & City are not too bad though. Regular FD is usually replaced by omega Palutena's Temple because it resembles the FD platform more than some other omega configurations with an extremely neutral BG that lessens distractions. Castle Siege, Lylat Cruise, Delfino Plaza, Wuhu Island, Skyloft, and Pokemon Stadium 2 are usually tourney legal counterpick stages, but swing the battle more heavily in favour of one character over another.

There's a lot of debate over omega stages. They're usually played as a counterpick but it turns out stages with grass actually change the ground physics noticeably and some omega form variations do feature partial or full grass coverage. It's not *exactly* like playing FD all the time so I think there will eventually even be a list of acceptable omega forms though an FD stage ban will ban every omega. Possibly. I don't think this will be entirely figured out until a few more major tournaments pass by.