hardest bosses?

Xator Nova

I was talking to a friend of mine about who the hardest bosses in the series might be, in order to make a Top 10 list or something.

Here are some nominees we thought up.

- Medeus (FE12 H4)

- Hardin (FE12 H4)

- Gomer (FE11 H5)

- Reynard (FE11 H5)

- Canis (FE5)

- Reinhardt (FE5)

- Henning (FE6 HM)

though maybe we need more ideas?

anyways, what do you think? who are the hardest bosses you've faced?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't find Hardin and Medeus really hard, you'll always have enough units that can take them down because the awesome growths let you 99% safely reach the stats for the kills (even if you must crit). They are only tough stat-wise tbh. Leygance (FE6 C8) is an asshole, barely gets hurt, but that's not the worst: he hardly gets hit either. As for the FE11 Gomer vs Gazzak vs Reynard/Hyman thing, getting Reynard down in 1 turn is easy with a savepoint, unless the player sacks Barst / Ogma (lol). Hit rates are really bad against Gazzak and attacking him from melee range is dangerous. he can be an easy grinding victim though. Gomer is less grinding fodder, but he is easier to take down because savepoints are there. I personally consider Gazzak worse than Gomer, who is worse than Hyman/Reynard because I dislike wasting tons of turns because of dodgy bosses (unless I play FE6, then idc about that). Windam on FE6 (C16x) is a bitch with his Berserk staff, but he can be trivialized by having Percival or Miledy solo the boss area on EP after they got hit by Berserk, so he isn't really hard.

For me, it's Leygance, Henning, Gomer, Gazzak, and I got ninja'd.

Edited by Gradivus.

Hardin isn´ that threatening, as your team WILL have capped stats and making use of the Star Orb. You can easily rig a crit or a miss, thanks to the chapter save. Medeus is more or less the same.

Regarding Henning (and Leygance): Wouldn´t we assume a promoted Rutger?

Monke is terrible. 85 Avo and only 28+ AS units double him. He can even ORKO because of his brave weapons and has an elixier. And this in not including the reinforcements that appear around his surroundings.

Edited by Aircalipoor

Hardin isn´ that threatening, as your team WILL have capped stats and making use of the Star Orb. You can easily rig a crit or a miss, thanks to the chapter save. Medeus is more or less the same.

Regarding Henning: Wouldn´t we assume a promoted Rutger?

Monke is terrible. 85 Avo and only 28+ AS units double him. He can even ORKO because of his brave weapons and has an elixier. And this in not including the reinforcements that appear around his surroundings.

Isn't Henning still hard even with a promoted Rutger and like impossible without him?

Isn't Henning still hard even with a promoted Rutger and like impossible without him?

13 Str. Rutger deals 2x 7(8) damage. A 2HKO if we assume crits. 20 Skl 5 Lck Rutger should have something like...60 Hit and 65 Crit? Shouldn´t take too long.

I admit that he is tough if you don´t have a unit that can double him.

i think we're being inconsistent in our judgment here. hardin is difficult precisely because you need to rig crits with a maxed out zerker and/or sniper or horseman that you may or may not have. henning is an asshole but he's really not that hard given that you have a rutger with some str and skl procs.

our appraisal of boss difficulty has to be more than just "well here's exactly one way to make this boss easy so obviously this boss isn't hard." aircalipoor claims that henning isn't that hard but monke is when you can just throw rutger at monke with the same effect.

monke is also weighed down 4 AS by his weapons, so 24 or 25 AS doubles him.

May I throw FE2 Rudolph into the mix? All his stats except HP and res are higher than any other boss in the game, including the final boss, he has an angel ring which gives him 40 luck and heals him and he has 9 mov as a gold knight which he will use - he's a boss that moves. He starts on a pink tile (equivalent to a fort) which can only be reached by one unit with a bow - you can't cheese him with long-range because his 40 luck means plenty of attacks miss and the pink tile heals him. The only way I know to fight him is to clear the rest of the map, lure him and trap him with 4 units he won't ORKO (a tall order, as he has the speed and strength of any enemy in the game) and pelt him with magic. The guy's scary, if nothing else

monke is also weighed down 4 AS by his weapons, so 24 or 25 AS doubles him.

My bad. This makes my case invalid, as many units can reach that value to double Monke. 28 AS on ther other hand is only possible on some crazy high leveled Swordmaster/Nomad Trooper/Falco Knight and I wasn´t assuming this.

Relying on a crit in the DS Fire Emblems isn´t so bad in my books, as you have those save points. 0 Luck really encourages you to crit them. You can even 2HKO Hardin with say, a Paladin and a Sage, no need for an optimized Bersercer/Horseman.

The Fire Dragon is hard if you do not use magic. Your only practical option in that case is using Armads.

This and I would even throw in beating the Black Knight from PoR within the turn limit. Other notable ones are Grima on Luna/Luna+ (those skills though) and Ashera can be a bitch with that Judgment skill that OHKO's anything.

The Black Knight is possible in the turn limit. (I did it, and I am the least advanced player here.) It just took Aether, and a lot of stat boosters, considering that Ike is also used for battling Ashnard.

Grima on every difficulty gets screwed over by Pair-Ups, forged Brave Weapons, and two strong swords that deal effective damage on him (bonus: the two people who can use those swords also get Dual Strike+).

I'm going to throw Tirado in there, only because Great Shield is approximately bullshit at that stage of the game.

Tirado's still slow and I've got Ephraim's awesome spear (and Seth) to maul him with. He's more a battle of attrition than actually difficult. But the "relative to the part of the game he shows up in" part is understandable.

The Chapter 3 boss in Shadow Dragon. I was playing on Normal difficulty, and he still could double the vast maority of my PC's. Worst of all, he has a Hand Axe equipped, meaning that I can't put Wrys behind a sword user without exposing him to being killed.

Edited by NinjaMonkey

For a "normal" Playthrough, just for the first time I would definitly rank Julius/Julia and Ashera as some of the hardest bosses. Fe 4 in general is imo pretty hard on your very first runthrough and it only gets more ridiculous later on. And Ashera is really pretty strong with her barrier and the spawning wisps as well as her attacks.

If stuff like hard mode and above gets included, yes, I can see stuff like Awakening Chapter 1 boss getting pretty high.

Grima on every difficulty gets screwed over by Pair-Ups, forged Brave Weapons, and two strong swords that deal effective damage on him (bonus: the two people who can use those swords also get Dual Strike+).

You gotta admit, though - the Falchions aren't exactly the most accurate things on the planet, which gets especially relevant on Lunatic, given that he has 110 evade (Chrom maxed out only gets 50%-ish hit rates against him, and Lucina is barely any better off, pulling in 60-ish percent hit, to put it in perspective).

I'm going to throw Tirado in there, only because Great Shield is approximately bullshit at that stage of the game.

Plus if you're doing a classic run on Luna/Luna+ that level sucks if you're trying to keep everyone alive. Even with pair up some dickish wyvern rider will come in with counter or some crap like that. The reinforcement on the same turn dosen't help either. Then again maybe I just suck I didn't even attempt Luna+ after Lunatic.

Edited by TacoMan42

No mention of Hard Mode Gel? As if Sacae bosses didn't have enough avoid already. Gel also can't be doubled on Hard Mode without Brave Weapons due to his 27 speed. Of course, like all bosses in FE6, Gel isn't as bad if you're willing to rig hits and/or crits.

You gotta admit, though - the Falchions aren't exactly the most accurate things on the planet, which gets especially relevant on Lunatic, given that he has 110 evade (Chrom maxed out only gets 50%-ish hit rates against him, and Lucina is barely any better off, pulling in 60-ish percent hit, to put it in perspective).

Assuming you stayed in Great Lord, Chrom is more than capable of pulling at least 60% (hint: TONICS). Why does this matter? Because at 60% displayed (that's 68.4% true), the odds of missing all four times is 1.26%. Lucina's odds will be higher, because all of Lucina's mothers, barring a -Skl/-Lck avatar, will give her bonuses to her Skill and Luck caps. All of this is before factoring in stuff like All +2 (raises hit rate by 4%) and rallies.

In other words, not that hard.

Plus if you're doing a classic run on Luna/Luna+ that level sucks if you're trying to keep everyone alive. Even with pair up some dickish wyvern rider will come in with counter or some crap like that. The reinforcement on the same turn dosen't help either. Then again maybe I just suck I didn't even attempt Luna+ after Lunatic.

The answer to that is to one-turn Grima - with eight super-effective attacks, it's doable.

(note: can't speak for L+, but I imagine it's something similar)

Assuming you stayed in Great Lord, Chrom is more than capable of pulling at least 60% (hint: TONICS). Why does this matter? Because at 60% displayed (that's 68.4% true), the odds of missing all four times is 1.26%. Lucina's odds will be higher, because all of Lucina's mothers, barring a -Skl/-Lck avatar, will give her bonuses to her Skill and Luck caps. All of this is before factoring in stuff like All +2 (raises hit rate by 4%) and rallies.

In other words, not that hard.

The answer to that is to one-turn Grima - with eight super-effective attacks, it's doable.

(note: can't speak for L+, but I imagine it's something similar)

I was ignoring the more realistic scenario that neither one's maxed out (and unless you're grinding, which is infeasible without DLC, I wouldn't expect them to be maxed out)... And I was also assuming them being in the back, else they'd just get blunted by Pavise. I did factor in the part where Lucina would have better odds (though my calcs used Sumia, as she gives Lucina the most skill [well, other than a +Skill avatar, but why would you do THAT on Lunatic???]). Either way, you're forced to hope that they land several hits with non-trivial miss chances.

Edited by Levant Caprice