Will there be avatars and waifus in this game? Avatar and waifu discussion. Waifus, the second coming.

Misses Elise-chan!

Waifus  

251 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the return of waifus in this game?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. What about another self insert avatar?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sometimes "waifu wars" are easy to avoid, and in cases like those it's probably easy to just not get involved in them.

And then other times, you get people who are so devoted to their 2-D waifu that they will actually threaten or wish harm on people over it (a guy who's been dubbed "Wank Hill" basically told Rey that he wished actual harm would come to Rey because he killed Lucina in his waifu execution video). This is a little less amusing and often speaks of greater psychological issues, methinks.

And then you have cases where things like "waifu bias" start going outside of FE and get into other places. This is not the right thread to argue this and I think both you and I are clear on our opinions regarding it, but Lucina's promotion from alt to an actual playable character has some people still screaming, and I think that there are people who act like Lucina is either unique or that she SHOULD have been unique while at the same time slamming Chrom for being "boring". That part sounds like waifu bias and is no longer limited to the FE fan base.

And then you have people who just go around bashing every other character who has a possible, meaningful romantic relationship with their "waifu" and just go around shoving it in people's faces in otherwise civil conversations. Sometimes, these people overlap with the first example I noted and it's kind of hard to avoid people who will actively seek you out to spread their hatred.

I really really hate the features but I don't think they're going anywhere.

Tbh they're just bad fanfic fuel. Those fics pop up so much more because of them and I don't like it.

I like Wolt, but I don't want the game to have a mechanic to marry him >.>

Waifu arguments are really dumb, but you have all kinds of garbage in all kinds of communities. It's impossible to avoid it whether you cut features or not, so I don't think it's worth removing this feature, especially considering it's been in several games.

I'll be fine with them as long as they tone down support bonuses a little. I felt that S support especially was like pitting an armored tank against horses.

Edited by Star and Moon

I feel like I should more accurately describe why I'm taking the stance I'm taking. The marriage system, an avatar system, and even "waifus" aren't inherently bad and they aren't bad on their own. People making things their waifus has always been around and always will be around. FE7's tactician system was okay, and from what I heard FE4's marriage system was great. But the problem is the synergy that these things have within the game itself, which is where FE13 may have gone awry.

The avatar is not a problem in itself. However, they are written in a manner that makes them look like a Mary Sue at worst. There is a problem when everyone loves them so much that they are willing to not destroy Grima for good at risk having him come back some time in the future just so the avatar can live. You'd think that the future children, having come from a hellhole in which Grima took over the world, would have some opposition to that. But nope. They become too loved, too "center of the universe", and it hurts the story.

Marriage is fine, especially if it's a plot point. But it wasn't very well done in Awakening. All the non-Lucina children being optional hurt their impact to the story and make them feel like they don't even need to be there. Compare this to FE4's children, where you got them or their substitutes in one way or another and they were all there at the very least. The story proper never goes into how the children feel at having escaped their original timeline, how they feel meeting their parents again and how strong their feelings of displacement in a new timeline are. You get stuff like this in their supports, yes, but it doesn't leave as much of a lasting impact when it is rarely brought up in the main story itself. We don't get a sense of urgency that we should from these children coming into the past to stop this apocalyptic future. I think that because we don't have this sense, the marriage and the children system ends up feeling more like fan service than a plot point.

Also, I don't think fan service in itself is bad. But I do think that fan service should NOT affect the quality of the plot, and I think in the case of Awakening it DID affect the plot. The Spotpass characters should've stayed dead. Bringing them back not only lessens the impact of their deaths but make the protagonists look incompetent. The moral struggles that lords go through, what is right for the people they protect and what they personally want, is nonexistent in Awakening. Chrom cares more about the people who are closest to him rather than what he should do as a ruler. Emmeryn is the type of ruler who would've been called out in every other FE game for being naive or weak (see Eirika and FE10 Elincia). But this game ignores all of their flaws and expects us to see them as heroes who've done nothing wrong. Or at least that's the message I'm getting from Awakening.

The reason I'm not in favor of an avatar and a marriage system is because the current track record says that IS didn't do a good job on it and it actually affected the quality of the story. Negatively. If FE14 does a better job at both while telling an amazing story then I really have no complaints. But for now, I am not optimistic.

I am all for Avatars but as for Waifus I am meh...

I found the system dumb in Awakening and while I would not be offended by its return I hope they either have no kids or kids are via a second part like in Genealogy(I think I spelled that right).

But even if there is no Waifus there will be shippings regardless.

I wouldn't mind a new avatar, but I'm hoping for dialogue options as My Unit from Awakening already had a set personality.

As long as they're important to the plot, waifus aren't so bad. After all, marrying your favourite character is actually quite nice! :D

..but if it's too much effort to write individual supports for every character, then limited supports are fine as long as they focus on a better plot imo. If so, there's always fanfiction to fulfill your desires.

meh....

i liked both....but then the optimization can be hell....but that's all part of a strat. game.

A lot of vets don't like change, but lets be honest fire emblem was about to be canceled and this game brought it back.... so as much as vets may not like it, you just have to accept that it is a game made for everyone and not just the hardcore fans.

with all of this being said i support both of the options... its a nice spin on things... and maybe they should allow more freedom with "robin". ex: letting us choose dialogue.

Sure, if the "Waifus" have a trace of depth.

But wait, "Waifus" only exist to eventually become yours at the end without any risk of rejection! There's no way we could have anyone with any amount of psychological and emotional depth approaching the level of an actual human being! Never mind, fuck "waifus," then.

After all, why bother taking the risk of talking to and possibly being rejected by real women/men when we have CODE?

And if we're talking about unit pairing for a second generation, then also "no." The writers at Intelligent Systems need to re-prove they can write good characters and plots for a single generation (let alone a second) after the charlie foxtrot that was Awakening's writing.

As long as there's more depth. If all I have to do is fight some barbarian in front of a girl to get her to become my waifu, then it's a little weird. It's like choosing a pet and then doing stuff but even worse.

Maybe there could be a chance of rejection? Like if they have a personality thing for the Avatar(which I do want) and a personality for the waifu(or husbando) there could be a meter thing that showed how likely you would get along, like old Hubba. Then if they weren't too good, you might get rejected and the Support would be locked at A.

Otherwise known as, the ​friend zone.

Keep marriage, but nerf it a little. No children units should be in this game. How about having units teach other units skills instead of inheriting them.

For example Stahl can teach two or one skills to a select few characters after getting an A level support with them. Lonqu could teach Astra to Lissa or Chrom can give Pavise to Donnel. Tought skills cannot be tought to other units, special skills are character locked, basic skills can be tought to other units. 2 for less useful basic skills like Outdoor fighter and Strength +2 or 1 for more useful skills like Astra or Aegis.

I'm fine with an avatar as long as they have more personality than Robin and aren't obsessed with strategy; I also want the kids to come back, though preferably not via time travel, maybe in a second generation/timeskip like FE4

Edited by Lord_Seliph

I think if the children come back, maybe have them as a second generation like ^ said. Or maybe have a them as NPC's or something. I did like the children in FEA and I would love to see how they'd act in-game if they were younger.

No to the Avatar for the reasons Sunwoo stated on page 9.

I technically voted no for the waifus, but I really wish there was an "I don't care" option. I don't give a fuck about waifus or husbandos or what have you, and I don't give a fuck if other people have them or want to have them. I'm not going to pretend that I don't get invested in fictional characters, so it's not like I don't see where people are coming from with this.

Basically, I'd only be bothered by a marriage system similar to Awakening's if an avatar came back, but I'd only be moderately bothered.

Yes, No.

I Want To See Waifus Again Because I Like Support Conversations.

But I DONT Want An Avatar Because All It Did Really Was Add Plot Twists And All Of That Stuff, Also In Awakening, The Avatar Said Through Every Playthrough THE SAME THING.

Yes, No.

I Want To See Waifus Again Because I Like Support Conversations.

But I DONT Want An Avatar Because All It Did Really Was Add Plot Twists And All Of That Stuff, Also In Awakening, The Avatar Said Through Every Playthrough THE SAME THING.

Eh. I'm willing to give the Avatar another chance. I don't think judging it just buy Awakening is fair. Who knows, after collaborating for the presumable dead SMT X FE crossover, IS might've learned a thing or two about MC's from Atlus.

R.I.P. SMT X FE