• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because Awakening was highly successful and they don't want to alienate their newly found audience by removing a popular feature?

I wouldn't have minded it one way or the other if it was here or if it was gone. I'm fine with pair-up, but if they wanted it to be exclusive Awakening's gimmick I'd have been fine with that too.

That image doesn’t suggest Pair Up necessarily. The Dual system is mostly fine, though activation rates get very high toward the end or if you grind (and still it’s fine, No Pair Up runs are fun and use the Dual system).

And Pair Up can be balanced elegantly, if it becomes more a choice whether to do so or not. One way is to emphasize player phase more, requiring more player characters and actions instead of combining them into superunits.

Edited by XeKr

I'm fine with Dual Strike and Pair Up, but I wish to see the enemies do the same, at least in situations like StreetPass.

I don't have high hope about the game's balance (and I guess FE13 without DLC is the closest thing to balance we'll have), but unless it makes certain unit types particularly hard to use *ahem FE10*, I wouldn't mind.

Pair up was kinda overpowered but I was thinking, maybe as a way to balance the game, they could also allow enemies to pair up too? I don't know, just throwing that out there.

It only took thousands of years for one tactician to realize, "guys, we could fight WITH our friends".

The series was forever changed.

Ike: I fight for my friends but I didn't think I could fight WITH them :D

Just noticed the Pair Up icon appear for a brief second, when Hinoka the Pegasus Knight is moving past Rinka. At least I think it's the icon; somebody with fast fingers (and a better memory) may wish to double check.

Just noticed the Pair Up icon appear for a brief second, when Hinoka the Pegasus Knight is moving past Rinka. At least I think it's the icon; somebody with fast fingers (and a better memory) may wish to double check.

It is. Looks like it's back.

uh, because it was a highly praised and popular feature that not only helped immensely in battle in various ways, it also contributed to the Supports system. No need to reove something that good.

It only took thousands of years for one tactician to realize, "guys, we could fight WITH our friends".

The series was forever changed.

Gee imagine that wonder why it took so long.

Pair up was kinda overpowered but I was thinking, maybe as a way to balance the game, they could also allow enemies to pair up too? I don't know, just throwing that out there.

I was thinking this also. Could make the game considerably more difficult on higher difficulties. Could you imagine something like a Grima with dual guard and right god? good god

Ike: I fight for my friends but I didn't think I could fight WITH them :D

Damn straight. Ike is a one man army he don't need to fight with them. He does the fighting FOR them.

Edited by TacoMan42

I think that would make things a bit too unpredictable, leaving the strategy element suffering. Not to mention it would be really tedious to calculate various possibilities of damage output. Single attack, double or paired double with bonuses.

If it comes back I want it to be balanced. Come on... my strategies always get messed up from either the backup killing the enemy or the backup not doing anything. They must do something about it :/

I have been thinking the option of cancelling an attack would be interesting addition, even before these problems arised. But t may on the other hand make certain situations too easy.

If it comes back I want it to be balanced. Come on... my strategies always get messed up from either the backup killing the enemy or the backup not doing anything. They must do something about it :/

Okay, if you don't want a dual strike to proc... unequip the partner. You really shouldn't be banking on dual strikes unless you have an S support couple.

Anyway, I don't mind pair up being back as long as it's tuned as well as it was in Awakening wrt Lunatic mode.

the only people who complain about pair up are the people who take fire emblem too seriously and actually care about the quality of the game mechanics. you can identify these people because they post on fire emblem forums.

the world chess federation should take a hint. revising the rules to accommodate pair up and waifus would instantly skyrocket the game in popularity. garry kasparov might thumb his nose at mass appeal, but fuck that, i want to S support my yandere bishop with my lone wolf rook. or whatever they're supposed to be called.

I didn't really have an issue with pair up. In fact, I rather liked it as it gave characters boosted stats, which could cover some of their weakest stats depending on who they were paired with. However, what I do wish they would do to balance it is, depending on the class type, increase some stats while reducing others, but not on a large scale (reducing stats only by a small amount would prevent the units from being completely gimped). This could open up a new layer of strategy where you would have to cope with some restrictions while not having to worry about being too slow, doing next to nothing, or barely having any endurance to survive attacks. It should also be said that if a stat is pretty low, well, it shouldn't be allowed to go lower than zero. Here's an example of the whole thing: You have a Mage unit with these stats (at level 3) (note: these are only example stats, not exactly stats that would fit for an actual mage): HP: 22 Str: 1 Mag: 8 Skl: 7 Spd: 8 Lck: 5 Def: 0 Res: 9. Obviously, it'd take about two axes or three lances until then unit's death. However, you also have a knight unit with these stats (level 3): HP: 27 Str: 10 Mag: 0 Skl: 6 Spd: 3 Lck: 6 Def: 12 Res: 4. The Knight will be able to take almost all of the hits, but you want to wait to build up the knight's level and focus on grinding the mage. Well, pair up could maybe give 5 or 6 extra defense (hopefully enough to take some heat), but at the cost of 2 or 3 speed, meaning that while the mage would lose any chance of doubling, he could take some extra hits and give the healer a chance to level up at the same time while the enemy is being whittled. Like I said, it's only an example, but one that I think explains my point.

I think pair up in and off itself would be a good mechanic if it had been implemented better so that it became a tactical choice, instead of being the best option all the time.

This is just an idea of mine, but I would start by cutting some of the stat boosts pair up gives. It would still boost stats, but not to the big extend it did before.

Secondly I would change the dual guard mechanic a little. The unit that guards actually takes damage. Of course this also means they won't guard if they themselves would die because of that.

Thirdly brave weapons would lose their function to double when the support unit is wielding them during an attack.

And finally don't let units attack enemies they otherwise could't. If an archer would attack a character a supporting unit with one range can't activate a doal attack. This way I believe 1-2 range weapons would have more of a place on a supporting units since they tend to be quite weak in the recent games.

I think pair up in and off itself would be a good mechanic if it had been implemented better so that it became a tactical choice, instead of being the best option all the time.

This is just an idea of mine, but I would start by cutting some of the stat boosts pair up gives. It would still boost stats, but not to the big extend it did before.

Secondly I would change the dual guard mechanic a little. The unit that guards actually takes damage. Of course this also means they won't guard if they themselves would die because of that.

Thirdly brave weapons would lose their function to double when the support unit is wielding them during an attack.

And finally don't let units attack enemies they otherwise could't. If an archer would attack a character a supporting unit with one range can't activate a doal attack. This way I believe 1-2 range weapons would have more of a place on a supporting units since they tend to be quite weak in the recent games.

While I agree that Dual Guard and Pair Up need some serious tweaking, this would be counter productive IMO: I'm sticking my cleric with the knight so she can avoid being hit, not so that she can martyr herself with her 2 def to protect him from a "NO DAMAGE!" or be picked off by an archer. Making so that DG isn't complete innoculation from an attack however, is a good idea.

I'm no fan of the pair up mechanic either. It seems rather awkward seeing a healer jump in front of an armor knight to protect him from an enemy blow, when said blow would OHKO the healer with ease. I think FE10 did a better job here with its Guard skill. Also being able to ignore walls and simply walk up to enemies to attack them was also pretty ridiculous. I mean come on, PoR and RD even had line of sight for some types of wall hubs. My hope is that it will be more balanced this time around.

Edited by Sharpshooter23