VincentASM

My opinion on Robin stealing Chrom's spotlight is this: Robin is important, but Chrom is pushed as the lord. He has the class, and he's forced on every map, in addition to both giving you a game over. There are some people who are putting Chrom as the least important character of him, Lucina, and Robin in Awakening. … A relatively significant amount. In that case, I say Chrom did not get enough spotlight.

The king in a war is often the least important person to the actual war but if he dies you lose. Chrom is the leader, he is a warrior, he needs to join in. His role isn't the lead but a lead. He is there to become friends with Robin, he can't die because if he died he can't die at the point Robin kills him that starts all the bad shit. Forcing you to use him gives you an in game reason to care about Chrom. You care about him because you need him to live to win and you have to bring him.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just want the option to not create an avatar.

After all, if this game is supposed to be about choices, then this is as basic as it gets.

Real easy just click the default for everything, Mystery of the Fire Emblem could have used that feature since it was an edit but the story was written to have Robin in it. This new game was likely written to have Kamui in it. Robin's a character, you just put your skin and "choices" around her. Kamui seems to be the lord so picking default will be great for fans that hate avatars for doing nothing offensive what so ever other then changing things since change is bad.

...You know, it actually is kinda neat that FE7 lets you do that, now that I think of it.

The tactician in FE7 was irrelevant to the main story, and the option not to make one didn't even exist in Lyn mode. With Awakening (and, presumably, If), the Avatar is essential to the plot.

The king in a war is often the least important person to the actual war but if he dies you lose. Chrom is the leader, he is a warrior, he needs to join in. His role isn't the lead but a lead. He is there to become friends with Robin, he can't die because if he died he can't die at the point Robin kills him that starts all the bad shit. Forcing you to use him gives you an in game reason to care about Chrom. You care about him because you need him to live to win and you have to bring him.

So, uh. Tell that to all the other lords in FE. Regardless of how true your statement is regarding FE, Chrom just does feel like he's in the spotlight in the same way as Marth, Roy, Eliwood, Sigurd, Hector, Ephraim, Eirika, or Ike. And I do think that is a problem.

Edited by Sunwoo

I'm quite happy if the avatar system is back. I like having my tactition actually be a person the characters speak to. That may be nostalgia though since my first FE was blazing sword and I liked that Lyn would talk to me like I was a character in it, and I see the avatar system as just the natural extension of that.

Kamui seems to be sporting more western esque armor. Being regarded as the prince, why is he away from his home? We know we play as the Easterners. Does this mean he defects to the the party we play and the western empire wages war to get him back?

Maybe it's a case of "My mom/dad got posessed/suddenly went crazy/died and left the country to my evil sister/brother and now they're attacking the other countries, I will team up with the other countries to stop my insert family member here."

Edited by Eveangaline

Maybe it's a case of "My mom/dad got posessed/suddenly went crazy/died and left the country to my evil sister/brother and now they're attacking the other countries, I will team up with the other countries to stop my insert family member here."

Perhaps, but Marcus mentions that his father might be evil? Potential Relation?

Edited by Neoleo21

I thought of Awakening as a sort of head-canon game. Robin was bland so that the player can fill in his/her head-canon about various things (like how Robin deals with kids and stuff). Sure, it's lazy writing but wasn't Awakening supposed to be the last hurrah? (Thankfully not, but...) It makes sense that IS would make a game that was mostly an excuse for the fans to live out Gary-Stu-Mary-Sue fantasies as a "ending the series with a bang" thing.

Obviously that's not the case and here I am all giggly because there's a new Fire Emblem on the horizon (I need to get a life... maybe... nah)...

So I'll be hoping for an avatar that's not a Mary-Sue-Gary-Stu and instead the protagonist or lord. Though reclassing hasn't been confirmed (and it'd be welcome if they didn't have that; sure it's cool, but is it balanced?), if it is, I'd like to see Avatar being able to reclass to a few classes (hopefully of your choice), not all of them.

As for big player decisions, I hope that means your choices can end your game with either a Goodi-tar or an Evil-tar (ala Mass Effect or Fable). Morality of the Avatar would open up a whole new dynamic and add to replayablity...

Edited by Doctor Robert

So, uh. Tell that to all the other lords in FE. Regardless of how true your statement is regarding FE, Chrom just does feel like he's in the spotlight in the same way as Marth, Roy, Eliwood, Sigurd, Hector, Ephraim, Eirika, or Ike. And I do think that is a problem.

Chrom got way more attention then I saw Hector got. I think a lot of peoples problem with awakening has to be that it isn't other Fire Emblem games. Since that seems to be your problem. "Why didn't it do the things like the things my games that were made for me." You came in with expectations and let your self be let down, I was so freaking happy to see the story wasn't revolved around Chrom I would have been a lot less happy if it was.

Mystery was negatively effected because Marth Existed, Marth was already a fan favorite, it was a remake the forced the MU in. Awakening never said it was a story about Chrom. You start the game with Robin, the 2nd chapter you meet Lucina.

Chrom got way more attention then I saw Hector got. I think a lot of peoples problem with awakening has to be that it isn't other Fire Emblem games. Since that seems to be your problem. "Why didn't it do the things like the things my games that were made for me." You came in with expectations and let your self be let down, I was so freaking happy to see the story wasn't revolved around Chrom I would have been a lot less happy if it was.

Mystery was negatively effected because Marth Existed, Marth was already a fan favorite, it was a remake the forced the MU in. Awakening never said it was a story about Chrom. You start the game with Robin, the 2nd chapter you meet Lucina.

Mystery was negatively affected because the avatar existed, what are you on about.

I don't mind the idea of the avatar having the focus in Awakening, but everyone in the entire game shouldn't act like incompetent fools without his "brilliant" strategies. Just because a character is a self-insert doesn't excuse unrealistic behaviour in a story. Also Awakening had shit world-building compared to pretty much any other FE than the Famicom ones. I just want to say that I actually really like some aspects of Awakening's story, but using the word "it's just different" shouldn't excuse what Awakening fails that other games succeed in.

Do NOT make any presumptions about what my mindset. It is extremely rude and makes you come off as terrible. Second, Hector got his own game mode once you finished Eliwood's mode, and had some chapters exclusive to him. I'd hardly say Hector was starved for attention in his game.

My "real" problem with Awakening is that I feel that it portrays a simplified view of the world it is supposed to take place in. Ylisse and Emmeryn are "good" and aside from that one little "smear" that was Chrom's father the warmongering exalt they were also good. Plegia and Validar are "bad" and we don't know why the Grimleal worship Grima or anything about the two countries' histories. If this were an earlier game, I'd be more forgiving. But considering we had Elibe and Magvel and Tellius, which had better world building, Ylisse stands out. It doesn't encourage me to form an opinion about the villains' motives, to either feel sympathy or say "it doesn't excuse what they did". It's just saying, "Plegia is evil and you must love Emmeryn lolololol", a rather simplistic view.

If you disagree that Awakening was "Chrom's story", that's fine. I personally feel that Chrom was overshadowed and didn't get enough attention, and if Chrom is a "king who is the least person in the war", this is no different from previous FE lords aside from Ike who never was nobility and those lords still got their attention. What I only speak is my personal opinion. Do not present your own as fact, because it is not.

You think you know our issues? That's really cute and saying Chrom got more screentime then Hector is hilariously laughable. That's like saying Wendy is the best unit in fe6.

Also Mystery was negatively effected because of the avatar stealing Marth and Jeigans lines and development. Although not near as offensive. New Mystery at least had everyone chat with Marth or the avatar like Ike did in Por

Mystery was negatively affected because the avatar existed, what are you on about.

I don't mind the idea of the avatar having the focus in Awakening, but everyone in the entire game shouldn't act like incompetent fools without his "brilliant" strategies. Just because a character is a self-insert doesn't excuse unrealistic behaviour in a story. Also Awakening had shit world-building compared to pretty much any other FE than the Famicom ones. I just want to say that I actually really like some aspects of Awakening's story, but using the word "it's just different" shouldn't excuse what Awakening fails that other games succeed in.

As it is the best selling and highest rated Fire Emblem game ever, I fail to see the incompetency of characters compared to the Avatar and the shit world building.

Virion defeats the Avatar at a strategy game of chess, Frederick and Lon'qu defeat the avatar in sparring contests. Lissa constantly pranks the Avatar. Hell the Avatar is pretty much the bad guy who only manages to resist bc of his friends. And by the way his strategies don't always work. Just ask poor Emmeryn.

As for the world building you fight across deserts, on trees, in fields, over water, in castles, and on the back of a freakin DRAGON. How many previous games have allowed you to fight on the back of a FREAKIN DRAGON. That's not Shit world building at all. In the previous games the worlds were okay at best. But every game was just a rehash of the last one except for Genealogy's parent mechanics and FE12. But even FE12 was just FE11 with an avatar.

Awakening's success eclipses every other Fire Emblem game before it. Impressive considering how Shadow Dragon almost destroyed Fire Emblem forever:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_Emblem_Awakening

Edited by Shadow Knight

I'm sorry but Tellius was the worst selling. Not Shadow Dragon, do your research before you try to argue points kid.

Nothing against you personally Jedi.

I never said Shadow Dragon was the worst. But consider the fact that FE12 never got a localization after the poor selling of Shadow Dragon. Shadow dragon sold 250,000 units in the U.S. Awakening cleared a million.

Shadow Dragon:http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/15/fire-emblem-awakening-posts-180k-first-month-sales-63k-download/

Awakening:http://www.vgchartz.com/game/70704/fire-emblem-awakening/USA/

Don't make baseless accusations you can't back up kid.

High sale numbers and review scores don't necessarily mean the game is flawless or the best.

The fact that Robin is pranked, lose in some sparring session and chess games (and he only loses the games because he uses the 'sacrifice as few units as you can' strategy, which Virion admit is the better strategy on the battlefield) or couldn't predict the appearance of undead archers do not counter the fact that for most of the main story, the avatar's strategies are the things that save the day and most characters in the story let's you know it.

And world building doesn't mean the variety of environment in a game, but more the lore, cultures, political struggles and history of the world the character lives in. Awakening is awfully vague on that regard making mention of some events or just throwing in new elements without really explaining them. Why does Grima wants to annihilate the humans? Why does the Grimleal worship a doomsday dragon? If you compare to Tellius, we know at the end of Radiant Dawn where the Dark God comes from and why someone would want to summon it. We know about the multiple political interest that drive the different parties to war. There are multiple important historical events that are mentioned and still hold importance to the events of the game. The two main races, Beorc and Laguz are both really defined and their interactions brings a lot of life to the world of the game, especially with the Branded adding another layer of depth.

I like Awakening, but there's plenty of flaws in that game and handwaving them by just saying 'it sold the most in the entire franchise' is oversimplifying the matter.

Also, Shadow Dragon didn't almost kill the franchise. It's the steady decline in sales over the years.

Nothing against you personally Jedi.

I never said Shadow Dragon was the worst. But consider the fact that FE12 never got a localization after the poor selling of Shadow Dragon. Shadow dragon sold 250,000 units in the U.S. Awakening cleared a million.

Shadow Dragon:http://www.joystiq.com/2013/03/15/fire-emblem-awakening-posts-180k-first-month-sales-63k-download/

Awakening:http://www.vgchartz.com/game/70704/fire-emblem-awakening/USA/

Don't make baseless accusations you can't back up kid.

Reviews which mean absolutely nothing, and your words were "Shadow Dragon" nearly killed the franchise. It wasn't the singular bad sales, Tellius while grand started the decline, which only Awakening was able to break due to its marketing and appeal to a more broad audience.

Yes Awakening did well, beyond expectations but this doesn't mean its one of the the most absolute flawed Fe's in the franchise.

High sale numbers and review scores don't necessarily mean the game is flawless or the best.

The fact that Robin is pranked, lose in some sparring session and chess games (and he only loses the games because he uses the 'sacrifice as few units as you can' strategy, which Virion admit is the better strategy on the battlefield) or couldn't predict the appearance of undead archers do not counter the fact that for most of the main story, the avatar's strategies are the things that save the day and most characters in the story let's you know it.

And world building doesn't mean the variety of environment in a game, but more the lore, cultures, political struggles and history of the world the character lives in. Awakening is awfully vague on that regard making mention of some events or just throwing in new elements without really explaining them. Why does Grima wants to annihilate the humans? Why does the Grimleal worship a doomsday dragon? If you compare to Tellius, we know at the end of Radiant Dawn where the Dark God comes from and why someone would want to summon it. We know about the multiple political interest that drive the different parties to war. There are multiple important historical events that are mentioned and still hold importance to the events of the game. The two main races, Beorc and Laguz are both really defined and their interactions brings a lot of life to the world of the game, especially with the Branded adding another layer of depth.

I like Awakening, but there's plenty of flaws in that game and handwaving them by just saying 'it sold the most in the entire franchise' is oversimplifying the matter.

Also, Shadow Dragon didn't almost kill the franchise. It's the steady decline in sales over the years.

Your opinion's your own and mine is no more correct than anyone elses

Why did Grima kill humans

It's explained in Mystery of the Emblem that Dragons attacked and terrorized humans but Naga took pity on humans and gave them the fire emblem along with Falchion which was shaped from Naga's fang. But even the previous emblem games never explained why dragons attack humans. Medeus and Grima both tried to take over the entire continent. It's pretty easy to figure that they want power.

Why does the Grimleal worship a doomsday dragon?

Why do ppl worship satan? Grima=power. Naga is worshipped bc he had the power to save humanity. Grima is worshipped bc he had the power to destroy it.

But the game specifically gives two reasons. 1. Revenge for Chrom's father's war crimes and Gangrel states that alot of members converted to escape his despotic rule

http://fireemblem.wikia.com/wiki/Grimleal " Some joined out of revenge due to the previous war between Plegia and Ylisse that almost left both countries in complete ruins which stemmed from their clashing religions. Others, according to Gangrel found solace in the Grimleal to escape his despotic rule."

We know about the multiple political interest that drive the different parties to war. There are multiple important historical events that are mentioned and still hold importance to the events of the game

1st war: Gangrel wants revenge for War crimes committed against him by Emmeryn's father. Regna Ferox joins Chrom thanks to a political maneuver beforehand where Chrom assisted the Khan of East Ferox. Chrom wins

2nd war: Walhart turns his conquering sights on Ylisse, Regna ferox, and Plegia. Ferox asks for help from Chrom citing their previous alliance in the first war. Plegia agrees to help for some unknown reason sending ships and funds. Walhart is defeated.

3rd war: Plegia betrays Ylisse for past war crimes and religious conflict stemming from the battle of Grima and Naga. The truth of the avatar comes out which explains the symbols on his clothing and the back of his hand details that have been around since the beginning of the game. Chrom wins again.

Historical events: Every war between Plegia and Ylisse. Religious differences between Plegia and Ylisse. Ancient conflicts between Grima and Naga.

Political interest: Regna Ferox and Ylissean alliance Thanks to Chrom's efforts. An assassination attempt on Emmeryn thwarted. Validar's move to only support the 2nd war by sending boats and wealth while withholding troops. Walhart's tactician's attempt to usurp his master. Plegia's betrayal of Ylisse leading to the third war.

But it didn't even reach the sales mark that Awakening was given. Shadow Dragon was a reboot of the original which recieved a full localization even playing up the fact that Marth was popular overseas thanks to Smash Bros.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/strong-fire-emblem-awakening-sales-saved-the-series-cancellation/1100-6408782/

But consider this. If previous games' "world building", characters, and stories were so much better than the rest. How come sales went down at all? I'll admit that Sales isn't always 100% in terms of deciding quality. But when a product triples its sales compared to another, it's just simply a better product.

Reviews which mean absolutely nothing, and your words were "Shadow Dragon" nearly killed the franchise. It wasn't the singular bad sales, Tellius while grand started the decline, which only Awakening was able to break due to its marketing and appeal to a more broad audience.

Yes Awakening did well, beyond expectations but this doesn't mean its one of the the most absolute flawed Fe's in the franchise.

Those weren't reviews Jedi, those were sales figures.

Hard cold facts.

And let's talk about the Tellius series. Shadow dragon sold less total copies than Radiant Dawn:

http://www.vgchartz.com/game/12971/fire-emblem-radiant-dawn/

Radiant Dawn sold .48 million= 480,000 units compared to Shadow Dragon's 250,000. There's a reason FE12 never made it to the U.S.

Sure Awakening isn't perfect but it has both the highest reviews and tripled the sales of every fire emblem game. It has both the reviews and the sales.

Edited by Shadow Knight

Real easy just click the default for everything, Mystery of the Fire Emblem could have used that feature since it was an edit but the story was written to have Robin in it. This new game was likely written to have Kamui in it. Robin's a character, you just put your skin and "choices" around her. Kamui seems to be the lord so picking default will be great for fans that hate avatars for doing nothing offensive what so ever other then changing things since change is bad.

I'll just quote myself as a response:

Change doesn't make things better or worse by default, just one thing: different, not all change is for the better but neither for the worse. And not everything that is popular is good "argumentum ad populum",

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Argumentum_ad_populum

That being said, I can't say that I'll love or hate the game, cause I now virtually nothing about it, yeah I dislike certain designs they have shown, but because it's supposedly not a sequel to a previous game, it at least won't irritate me the same way awakening did (retconing lore from the games it's supposed to be a sequel to).

While "by the people who made awakening", isn't a good thing for me (underlined for personal opinion), since I didn't really like awakening, but I will give them the benefit of doubt, after all, I don't go into a game wanting to hate it.

I don't think it's been mentioned but I think one thing that helped Awakening's numbers was the amount of advertising that went into it. Between the gaming press loving it and for about two weeks leading up to Awakening's release, most sites I went on who normally promoted Nintendo products had Awakening adverts errywhere. I started playing Fire Emblem shortly before Sacred Stones came out and I don't recall EVER seeing that amount of pushing by Nintendo for a FE game.
Declining numbers had to do with Awakening potentially being the last Fire Emblem, though. IIRC, Tellius games got a resounding "Meh" from the Japanese fanbase and then Shadow Dragon sold poorly stateside due to being a very strict graphical upgrade to its original game, therefore removing several key features that western FE fans had become accustomed to over the years, like supports and the rescue command.

It seems to be the general theory floating around since he's referred as 'Lord Kamui' by the maid and as a prince by the soldier.

Kamui can be translated as ''god'' or ''divine spirit'' and can be used for both male and female deities.

"God" or "Divine Spirit," eh? I have headcanon going on that Kamui is going to be a meaningful name if s/he's the self insert, since it could be looked at as we, the players, are a god of sorts and whether our units live or die is by our whims.