VincentASM

I never realized that either. It's actually kind of saddening! I enjoyed PoR and RD more than any other game thus far and I've played every single game as they came out.

Everything from story to character design to backstory to gaming features. I enjoyed everything about the Tellius games and it surprises me to see that they were the worst selling. They were quality games (imo of course.)

Seems this topic got side tracked, a lot. Aren't we discussing a new game here and not what the past games did wrong? A detailed plot and story was missing in Awakening I think we can all agree on that to some extent. But this new game we know nearly nothing about the story yet. East vs West, Dancer damsel in distress. That's most of what we know right there in a few simple lines. Try not to go into a game with too many aspirations of a perfect game and you usually won't be disappointed.

Anyway, I never minded the introduction of Robin in Awakening, I rather liked it. And it doesn't surprise me that Awakening was "basic" (I say that with quotes because personally I disagree somewhat,) the developers are catering to a new crowd. A younger crowd that us Vets (lol) don't agree with at all generally. The kiddos want games a certain way. They want it easy, basic, and understandable. Which drives all of us bonkers. End of story, goodbye, the end. Any Questions? :)

Edited by TwinBlade

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Being based on a film alone didn't make the game sell. Being hyped up for being based on a film did. See? Advertising.

Awakening does have its merits, and they certainly contributed to its sales. They do not negate its flaws, even if the flaws aren't great enough to noticeably impact sales. Most people who are used to Nintendo fare and haven't played a FE before might not even notice them. They're still there.

No, the support conversations are character development. While that may be a good thing, it's a different thing from plot. And it's pretty clear that Validar took the Emblem by force, that's not a mark against Avatar's goodness.

Nobody's denying that Awakening has "political intrigue", its is just the worst of the series. It also happens to have poor execution: there's nothing inherently wrong about a story in which a previously aggressive nation is facing attacks from the nation it was oppressing, and it has a lot of potential. Awakening tried to tell that tale using black and white morality, with no development for the nations themselves and liberal glossing over of both Ylisse's flaws and even moreso Plegia's virtues. There's a line in a support about how there might be some nice Plegians? No, that stuff should be front and center and it's not.

OK, let's look at Arvis again. Ignoring all the stuff he did to help you in G1 (and it's implied that he legitimately wanted to let you live, but it would be too destructive to his plans), G2 spends many chapters angsting about what a jerk he is. Bad guy? Definitely. But when you actually encounter him, he's a miserable husk of a man who's been crushed by his own dream. At this point the game makes no judgement on him and simply presents him for the player to decide. Awakening? Everyone's evil through and through, cause or not.

FE5, there are plenty of jerks and plenty of nice guys in the mix- but they're not segregated along military lines. Leif has a good number of scumbags on his team, and there are several noble folks- or at least ones who are doing what they think is right- on the enemy side. The entire premise of the story is about Leif losing his naivety about this and coming to terms with this. And of course, you, the player, even get to spare enemies, should you so choose.

FE8, Lyon's personality changes dramatically depending on which route you play. Fomortiis is obviously involved, but the game makes it deliberately unclear how much is his doing and how much is actually Lyon, when they're lying, etc. Together with their personal attachment to the protagonists (Validar is Avatar's father? Never matters) they're the most dynamic villain in the series and are still excellent fuel for discussion. Awakening's villains have a single motive/excuse at best, but it's clear that they have no plans or intentions for the protagonists beyond defeating them.

Having a complex villain is not the same as having a hidden villain. While initially keeping a villain's vileness hidden is a tactic, it does not necessarily equate complexity and having it visible from the start does not equate simplicity.

Never meet the citizens? Have you ever played FE5 or 8? 5 is all about putting nobility and commoners together and asking them to understand one another. 8 primarily expresses the history of Grado through its inhabitants, showing why they remain loyal to their country (as opposed to just having a guy who says, "sorry folks, can't join you 'cause I've got me country" or something). FE has done this before.

If you want to keep arguing that Awakening has good world building, please answer my questions from the post at the top of this page.

This isn't necessarily true, depending on if you put them on a level playing field and only take japans numbers (the only country all games have been released), if my memory serves me right, awakening sold about 500,000 copies there, while the best selling is fe 3, mystery of the emblem with about 750,000 copies, and is the most critically acclaimed there, if my memory serves me right.

Edit: also Shadow Dragons numbers where better than that of what of either tellius game.

No it didn't... Mystery of the Emblem sold close to 1 million in Japan alone. Awakening sold close to 1.5 million worldwide.

And also, we get awful lie that Shadow Dragon destroyed the series.

Shadow Dragon sold more than Path of Radiance and Radiant Dawn. Those two games were near commercial failures. Shadow Dragon wouldn't exist if it weren't for the awful sales of the Tellius games requiring IS to cash in on nostalgia by creating two remakes.

Man, at least do some fact checking.

This guy clearly hasn't played the games if he can claim that we never meet any of the citizens of Archanea. Or claim that Awakening had any sort of political intrigue, more than Genealogy. -_-

Also, using vgchartz... Come on man, have some self respect. Shadow sold close to 300k in Japan alone according to sales data that was posted in one of the topics still on the front page in the SMTxFE sub forum. Even your previous vgchartz says Shadow Dragon outsold both Tellius games...

No, I don't think so. I'm done debating "purists" who defend the old games as perfection and constantly complain about Awakening in any way they can. It has the highest reviews and outsold every other game before it. By comparison the "perfect" games of old nearly killed the series for good including Shadow Dragon. In fact the series was nearly axed period, forget just localization. The producer said so himself:

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/strong-fire-emblem-awakening-sales-saved-the-series-cancellation/1100-6408782/

The Series almost ended despite the "amazing" quality of the old games. And please don't use a horrible excuse like marketing. It's common sense that having a bad product means that your marketing brand message won't last.

"The sales manager of Nintendo, Mr. Hatano, told us that this could be the last Fire Emblem. Due to this progressive descend on sales, they told us that if the sales of this episode stayed below 250,000 copies, we'd stop working on the saga."

I've made my point. Highest sales and highest reviews=best game

Just to be fair to Shadow, no one has played most the Japanese Fire Emblems outside of Japan. Really only people on these boards play the Japanese Fire Emblems, I have only played 6-13.

I played FE7, FE9, FE11, and Awakening. As for the Japanese games I played FE4 which was fantastic bc of the game mechanics with parents. I played FE12 which I enjoyed bc of the chance to make an avatar,the supports were interesting, and the story was pretty good.

Fire Emblem 7 was really good. Path of radiance had an interesting story and great cutscenes. FE11 was horrible though. I got bored of that game fast after about 5 levels.

Edited by Shadow Knight

lolwut? Dude, no. Just no. The term "best game" is entirely opinionated. People are allowed to dislike Awakening and prefer older FEs if they damn well want to. I think Awakening was pretty good, but I felt that the story and lack of varied chapter objectives and gameplay mechanics (pair-up is cool, but it removed light magic, the magic triangle, and all the new mechanics RD introduced like elevation and such) hurt it a lot, so to me, it doesn't surpass the Tellius series (although it nearly did).

Poor marketing is a perfectly valid reason for a game not selling well. It might not be the ONLY reason in some cases, but certainly one reason.

Edited by Anacybele

No, I don't think so. I'm done debating purists who defend the old games as perfection and constantly complain about Awakening in any way they can. It has the highest reviews and outsold every other game before it. By comparison the "perfect" games of old nearly killed the series for good including Shadow Dragon. In fact the series was nearly axed period, forget just localization. The producer said so himself:

That's very immature of you to say so. There are members here loving Awakening yet they don't ignore its flaws. You on the other hand act like an overfanatic fanboy and defend Awakening as if it's the pinnacle of perfection that revolutionizes every elements of the whole series.

I know that awakening doesn't deserve all the hate it's getting, but your childish attitude also rubs people the wrong way, Shadow Knight.

@ShadowKnight

Better reviews doesn't mean Awakening is the best Fire Emblem. You don't even have the same set of critics doing those reviews, but even if you did it would hardly mean much. And it's impossible to state something like that factually no matter the circumstances. It's like trying to say that Ocarina is the best Zelda because it has the highest review scores. Sure, a lot of people may agree, but it's still an opinion.

Also, Thracia has the highest score overall anyways, according to GameRanking.

Better sales is indicative of even less. The only reason Awakening sold the way it did is because it was actually advertised. It benefited from the acclaim, but Fire Emblem 7 was a highly regarded GBA title and didn't sell those kinds of numbers (and it probably had a better install base at first, too).

Besides the increased marketing compared to previous games and good word of mouth via reviews and such, Awakening also had wider appeal going for it. There is no denying it was made with the goal of attracting people other than just SRPG/JRPG fans, and it worked. All those reasons are why it's the best selling FE game, not because it somehow does everything better. That doesn't mean it's not a good game, because it is, but saying that it's undeniably superior in every way just because it's the most popular is silly. And just because some people dislike it doesn't mean they're hipsters or hate change.

No, I don't think so. I'm done debating "purists" who defend the old games as perfection and constantly complain about Awakening in any way they can. It has the highest reviews and outsold every other game before it. By comparison the "perfect" games of old nearly killed the series for good including Shadow Dragon. In fact the series was nearly axed period, forget just localization. The producer said so himself:

Defending the old games as perfection? Looking for any possible way to complain about Awakening? Did you even read what we were saying?

See right there under my avatar where it says, "Favorite FE: Awakening"? That's there for a reason. Awakening has a lot to offer. I like it as a whole. It also has flaws- just like any game- in places where past games stomp it into the ground. I care about those flaws and want them to be fixed. That's not to say that past games don't have places where Awakening stomps them (they do, and a lot more than Awakening does), or that I want those bad ideas of old back (I don't), but that I want the next game to take into account where this one was subpar and fix it. Judging by the looks of things, that's going to happen for some issues and not for others.

I think Awakening also benefited from having casual mode. FE never had such a mode before and I know some people were turned away from FE by its permadeath thing. Casual mode satisfies those people. I think if this new FE combines features of Awakening and features of past FEs that made them enjoyable to the veteran fans, we'll have a great game that appeals to pretty much all of us.

Ok, ok, I was gonna let you go, but this is too much.

Nobody ever brought in the word perfection. Perfection is a opinionated thing, which wasn't mentioned until you said it. Also, "constantly complain about Awakening"? Some of the people you talked to liked Awakening! Every game has its flaws, some more evident than others. Since you like pulling up reviews, go look up a more recent review of Awakening. I guarantee most of the early ones were written from new game hype. Only later did we get honest about its critique. I'm gonna stop that point there because I don't want to be too much of a broken record.

... Ok, so by your logic, Tetris is the best game ever made. And reviews are heavily based on opinions. The more marketing a game gets, the more buzz it gets. This leads to more reviews. Marketing is companies spending money to ensure their game sells well. Obv. if they do it right, the game will get high reviews. Especially if plot related flaws aren't something that people see at first glance...

Opinions have the right to be shared, but ignored entirely. I admit, I couldn't ignore this because it was stated as a fact. In the end though, we all want the same thing. Fire Emblem to be successful. That's all that really matters.

Edited by Sorin

I think Awakening also benefited from having casual mode.

i agree really hard with that statement. Like, it made the series more accessible. A lot of potential players were turned off by permadeath, so now that theres an option toggle that, they are all like "YO!"

Im positive the new game is gonna feature that, along with Loony+ Super Mega Death Mode. People love that shit.

I do think there is merit to pointing out Awakening is the best critically received internationally released game. Whenever you say something is the best game in a series, it's inherently an opinion, unless you set out some criteria first. Criteria like critical praise is often used to generate a community consensus. But its certainly not a stretch to say its the best game in the series on that criteria alone. That's how it work with every video game series. Sure, I could make an argument about why Super Mario Sunshine is the greatest Mario of all time, but what the critics said about it has value.

Also, Thracia has the highest score overall anyways, according to GameRanking.

The lack of reviews due to its Japan only release makes it hard to argue that. On Game Ranking it only has 1 review. Once you remove that, #1 is...

I do think that this entry in the series appears to be going a sort of Mass Effect route, if what we have speculated is true. Game heavily based on choice, avatar main character. If Jennifer Hale voice the female Kamui, then we will have three for three.

I do think that this entry in the series appears to be going a sort of Mass Effect route, if what we have speculated is true. Game heavily based on choice, avatar main character. If Jennifer Hale voice the female Kamui, then we will have three for three.

One of Robin's male voices sounded like Mark Meer (it wasn't him, though)

Well, as I said before, that'd be sweet. An Avatar that changes into a Goodi-tar or an Evil-tar (or a Neutral-tar... but not a Minotaur, sadly) over the course of the game would be cool; maybe the Avatar even does stuff in the plot that the player didn't dictate based on previous game choices (eg. A Goodi-tar would spare a boss at the end of a certain chapter and you get a character, an Evil-tar would rabidly mutilate said boss and you get... I dunno, a white gem because the lout had it) but that's getting a little ahead of ourselves. We aren't even quite sure if this isn't an Alternate Universe Retelling of FE7 (it is called Fire Emblem: If.......) because that dancer really really looks like Ninian.

...Just as long as there isn't a bogus Deus Ex Machina child at the end who says stuff like "Hello, Neo, I created the Matrix," "Ergo," and "We kill organic life because organic life would've been killed by similar beings anyway," then we shall be good.

(...Annnnnnnd I opened up another can o' worms. Why do I do that? Bad Doc! BAD Doc!!!) *Ahem*

Edited by Doctor Robert

I played FE7, FE9, FE11, and Awakening. As for the Japanese games I played FE4 which was fantastic bc of the game mechanics with parents. I played FE12 which I enjoyed bc of the chance to make an avatar,the supports were interesting, and the story was pretty good.

Fire Emblem 7 was really good. Path of radiance had an interesting story and great cutscenes. FE11 was horrible though. I got bored of that game fast after about 5 levels.

So you haven't even played all the games and you're accusing us of being haters out something? Wow.

Tell me, do you let sales and reviews decide your opinions on things? Ate not capable of making your own analysis through experience?

Has anyone brought up that Kamui "kind of" looks like Robin*? It's not another blue-haired swordsman, but I can see people drawing comparisons between the two.

*in as much as Marth, Sigurd/Celiph, Ike, and Chrom all look like each other anyway.

Holy shit I read through the debate and wanted to drive my head through a wall.

Ignorance.

Strawmanning.

Ad populum.

It's all here, along with a bag of chips.

I'd honestly rather we don't have an avatar. I'm the type of person that likes to see an original character develop. I want another Leif, Seliph, PoR Ike, or SD Marth. Robin and Kris were stagnant from start to finish. If they're gonna stress choice, I'd rather they do it like Denam from Tactics Ogre or Vincent from Catherine where the character develops around the choices of the player.

Holy shit I read through the debate and wanted to drive my head through a wall.

Ignorance.

Strawmanning.

Ad populum.

It's all here, along with a bag of chips.

I'd honestly rather we don't have an avatar. I'm the type of person that likes to see an original character develop. I want another Leif, Seliph, PoR Ike, or SD Marth. Robin and Kris were stagnant from start to finish. If they're gonna stress choice, I'd rather they do it like Denam from Tactics Ogre or Vincent from Catherine where the character develops around the choices of the player.

It was going somewhat nicely, then the thread completely derailed.

I actually liked Robin on paper, a character the player could customize the look of, yet had personality like any other character sounded like a fine compromise. It just was too neutral and too overwhelming of the other characters in practice since Awakening tried to do too much and never really got around to doing it all with significant depth outside a couple of factors.

This is what makes me interested in If, most of the groundwork was already done by Awakening from the engine to the sales. If can thus deliver a more focused experience with new ideas for the series that we want, much like the relationship between Majora's Mask and Ocarina of Time.

Kamui seems to be taking the same approach as Robin, I just hope they make him like the developing Lords/Heroes you mentioned and not make a fool out everyone else like Robin did. Also, did anyone notice how ridiculous Kamui's combat animations are? He/She is swinging around a giant sword like an amateur...

Ok, ok, I was gonna let you go, but this is too much.

Nobody ever brought in the word perfection. Perfection is a opinionated thing, which wasn't mentioned until you said it. Also, "constantly complain about Awakening"? Some of the people you talked to liked Awakening! Every game has its flaws, some more evident than others. Since you like pulling up reviews, go look up a more recent review of Awakening. I guarantee most of the early ones were written from new game hype. Only later did we get honest about its critique. I'm gonna stop that point there because I don't want to be too much of a broken record.

... Ok, so by your logic, Tetris is the best game ever made. And reviews are heavily based on opinions. The more marketing a game gets, the more buzz it gets. This leads to more reviews. Marketing is companies spending money to ensure their game sells well. Obv. if they do it right, the game will get high reviews. Especially if plot related flaws aren't something that people see at first glance...

Opinions have the right to be shared, but ignored entirely. I admit, I couldn't ignore this because it was stated as a fact. In the end though, we all want the same thing. Fire Emblem to be successful. That's all that really matters.

You're right. The perfection part is an exaggeration and I apologize for that. But having been on this forum for about 2 years I've never seen anyone point out any flaws on those games at all. Yet whenever I go on a thread I see complaining about every little thing in Awakening.

If it's not Robin than its the story. If it's not the story than it's the pair up system. If it's not the pair up system than its the Waifus. If its not the Waifu's than it's the "World building.

And I don't have a problem with sharing opinions, but if someone has a right to share their opinion on how "bad" Awakening is than I'm allowed to express my opinion to the opposite.

The only thing I said was a fact was that Awakening had the most sales and reviews which I provided evidence for.

Instead of actually debating me I had about three people in response simply call out my evidence(Without providing evidence to the contrary) or just plain insult me by asking me if I have any respect for myself or calling me a kid.

Some of them even spouted blatant lies by saying that games like Shadow Dragon sold a million copies in Japan. If that's the truth than why did the producer of Intelligent systems say the series would be canceled altogether

Now I'm a man, ppl get fed up and insult ppl on the internet that's fine. I could care less. But insults? Really guys? Very classy. If you don't want to debate than don't respond. If you want to debate than attack me with facts instead of hiding behind insults.

But let me just state the following:

I have nothing against anybody here. I was joking around with Jedi in another thread for example:We have different viewpoints that's fine. And I don't think Awakening is perfect.

But I think it is the best game bc factually it has the best sales figures and reviews.

So you haven't even played all of the games and you're accusing us of being haters out something? Wow.

Tell me, do you let sales and reviews decide your opinions on things? Ate not capable of making your own analysis through experience?

Are you not capable of typing proper english?

Please, I played several in the series. But consider the fact that the series was going to be cancelled period. Not just "No export for you" to borrow from tvtropes.com. But canceled.

No I don't let it decide my opinions. But both factors combined are pretty good measures. Many members have constantly repeated that sales and reviews rely a lot on marketing.

However take a look at a triple A title like Destiny:

It's sales are impressive and it was heavily marketed. But pay attention to its reviews:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destiny_%28video_game%29

Reception Aggregate scores Aggregator Score GameRankings (XONE) 78.55%[54]

(PS4) 76.83%[55]Metacritic (PS4) 76/100[56]

(XONE) 75/100[57] Review scores Publication Score Computer and Video Games 8/10[58]Eurogamer 8/10[59]Game Informer 8.75/10[61]GamesRadar 11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_half.svg.png[62]GameSpot 6/10[63]GameTrailers 8/10[64]Giant Bomb 11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png[65]IGN 7.8/10[66]Joystiq 11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png[68]Official Xbox Magazine 8/10[69]Polygon 6/10[70]Hardcore Gamer

4/5[67

They range from 8.75 to a 6 out of ten.

Aggregate scores Aggregator Score GameRankings (PS4) 81%[80]

(XONE) 78%[81]

(X360) 78%[82]

(PS3) 76%[83]

(PC) 76%[84]

(WIIU) 63%[85]Metacritic (PS4) 80/100[86]

(XONE) 78/100[87]

(PC) 77/100[88]

(WIIU) 61/100[89] Review scores Publication Score Computer and Video Games 9/10[90]Destructoid 8/10[91]Eurogamer 7/10[92]Game Informer 8.5/10[93]GameSpot 8/10[94]Giant Bomb 11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png[95]IGN 8.4/10[96]Joystiq 11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png[97]Polygon 8/10[100]VideoGamer.com 7/10[102]Metro

(PS4) 7/10[98]

(WIIU) 4/10 [99]

This table is for Watchdogs which also broke sales records. The scores range from 9-4 out of ten.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watch_Dogs

But now let's look at Awakening's reviews:

Reception Aggregate scores Aggregator Score GameRankings 92.52%[68]Metacritic 92/100[67] Review scores Publication Score Electronic Gaming Monthly 9/10[56]Famitsu 36/40[59]Game Informer 9/10[61]GameSpot 8.5/10[57]GameTrailers 85/100[62]IGN 9.6/10[58]Polygon 8.5/10[60]Destructoid 9/10[63]Joystiq 4.5/5[64] Nintendo Insider 95%[65]Eurogamer 10/10[66]

The score's range from 8.5-10 out of 10. The lowest score is an 8.5

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_Emblem_Awakening

I think we can all agree that Watch Dogs and Destiny had much higher marketing budgets than Fire Emblem Awakening. But unlike Destiny and Watchdogs Fire Emblem Awakening's reviews show CONSTISTENCY versus higher marketed games. You cannot cry Marketing with Fire Emblem Awakening. It's a niche title. Are you going to make the marketing argument that they spent more money marketing Fire Emblem than Destiny and Watchdogs? If marketing affects reviews like it has been posited here on this thread than how come Watch Dogs and Destiny don't have 10/10s across the board?

Edited by Shadow Knight

You're right. The perfection part is an exaggeration and I apologize for that. But having been on this forum for about 2 years I've never seen anyone point out any flaws on those games at all. Yet whenever I go on a thread I see complaining about every little thing in Awakening.

If it's not Robin than its the story. If it's not the story than it's the pair up system. If it's not the pair up system than its the Waifus. If its not the Waifu's than it's the "World building.

And I don't have a problem with sharing opinions, but if someone has a right to share their opinion on how "bad" Awakening is than I'm allowed to express my opinion to the opposite.

The only thing I said was a fact was that Awakening had the most sales and reviews which I provided evidence for.

Instead of actually debating me I had about three people in response simply call out my evidence(Without providing evidence to the contrary) or just plain insult me by asking me if I have any respect for myself or calling me a kid.

Some of them even spouted blatant lies by saying that games like Shadow Dragon sold a million copies in Japan. If that's the truth than why did the producer of Intelligent systems say the series would be canceled altogether

Now I'm a man, ppl get fed up and insult ppl on the internet that's fine. I could care less. But insults? Really guys? Very classy. If you don't want to debate than don't respond. If you want to debate than attack me with facts instead of hiding behind insults.

But let me just state the following:

I have nothing against anybody here. I was joking around with Jedi in another thread for example:We have different viewpoints that's fine. And I don't think Awakening is perfect.

But I think it is the best game bc factually it has the best sales figures and reviews.

Are you not capable of typing proper english?

Please, I played several in the series. But consider the fact that the series was going to be cancelled period. Not just "No export for you" to borrow from tvtropes.com. But canceled.

No I don't let it decide my opinions. But both factors combined are pretty good measures. Many members have constantly repeated that sales and reviews rely a lot on marketing.

However take a look at a triple A title like Destiny:

It's sales are impressive and it was heavily marketed. But pay attention to its reviews:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destiny_%28video_game%29

Reception Aggregate scores Aggregator Score GameRankings (XONE) 78.55%[54]

(PS4) 76.83%[55]Metacritic (PS4) 76/100[56]

(XONE) 75/100[57] Review scores Publication Score Computer and Video Games 8/10[58]Eurogamer 8/10[59]Game Informer 8.75/10[61]GamesRadar 11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_half.svg.png[62]GameSpot 6/10[63]GameTrailers 8/10[64]Giant Bomb 11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png[65]IGN 7.8/10[66]Joystiq 11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png[68]Official Xbox Magazine 8/10[69]Polygon 6/10[70]Hardcore Gamer

4/5[67

They range from 8.75 to a 6 out of ten.

Aggregate scores Aggregator Score GameRankings (PS4) 81%[80]

(XONE) 78%[81]

(X360) 78%[82]

(PS3) 76%[83]

(PC) 76%[84]

(WIIU) 63%[85]Metacritic (PS4) 80/100[86]

(XONE) 78/100[87]

(PC) 77/100[88]

(WIIU) 61/100[89] Review scores Publication Score Computer and Video Games 9/10[90]Destructoid 8/10[91]Eurogamer 7/10[92]Game Informer 8.5/10[93]GameSpot 8/10[94]Giant Bomb 11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png[95]IGN 8.4/10[96]Joystiq 11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_full.svg.png11px-Star_empty.svg.png[97]Polygon 8/10[100]VideoGamer.com 7/10[102]Metro

(PS4) 7/10[98]

(WIIU) 4/10 [99]

This table is for Watchdogs which also broke sales records. The scores range from 9-4 out of ten.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Watch_Dogs

But now let's look at Awakening's reviews:

Reception Aggregate scores Aggregator Score GameRankings 92.52%[68]Metacritic 92/100[67] Review scores Publication Score Electronic Gaming Monthly 9/10[56]Famitsu 36/40[59]Game Informer 9/10[61]GameSpot 8.5/10[57]GameTrailers 85/100[62]IGN 9.6/10[58]Polygon 8.5/10[60]Destructoid 9/10[63]Joystiq 4.5/5[64] Nintendo Insider 95%[65]Eurogamer 10/10[66]

The score's range from 8.5-10 out of 10. The lowest score is an 8.5

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_Emblem_Awakening

I think we can all agree that Watch Dogs and Destiny had much higher marketing budgets than Fire Emblem Awakening. But unlike Destiny and Watchdogs Fire Emblem Awakening's reviews show CONSTISTENCY versus higher marketed games. You cannot cry Marketing with Fire Emblem Awakening. It's a niche title. Are going to make the marketing argument that they spent more money marketing Fire Emblem than Destiny and Watchdogs?

Reviews are VERY subjective. Those scores show consistency from those who have not really played Fire Emblem and know its systems and balances, Background on the reviewers matters greatly. Awakening was the perfect game for these people who wanted an accessible game to enter the franchise. Hence the high review scores. The perspective of people here on the other hand are more experienced veterans of this franchise, who know the flaws of the game because they've spent years with the mechanics of previous titles. I suggest you take your thoughts to the Awakening Board, and leave this one be, this topic concerns the avatar in this game, not whether FE:A was a godlike game or not.

Reviews are VERY subjective. Those scores show consistency from those who have not really played Fire Emblem and know its systems and balances, Background on the reviewers matters greatly. Awakening was the perfect game for these people who wanted an accessible game to enter the franchise. Hence the high review scores. The perspective of people here on the other hand are more experienced veterans of this franchise, who know the flaws of the game because they've spent years with the mechanics of previous titles. I suggest you take your thoughts to the Awakening Board, and leave this one be, this topic concerns the avatar in this game, not whether FE:A was a godlike game or not.

Aggregate scores Aggregator Score GameRankings 88.83%[21]Metacritic 88%[22] Review scores Publication Score Electronic Gaming Monthly 8 out of 10[21]Eurogamer 9 out of 10[9]Game Informer 8.75 out of 10[21]GamePro 4.5 out of 5[23]GameSpot 8.9 out of 10[11]IGN 9.5 out of 10[24]Nintendo Power 4.6 of 5[21]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_Emblem_(video_game)

This is a table for Fire Emblem 7's reviews. They've been reviewing these games for years now. They know the system.

Aggregate scores Aggregator Score GameRankings 88.83%[21]Metacritic 88%[22] Review scores Publication Score Electronic Gaming Monthly 8 out of 10[21]Eurogamer 9 out of 10[9]Game Informer 8.75 out of 10[21]GamePro 4.5 out of 5[23]GameSpot 8.9 out of 10[11]IGN 9.5 out of 10[24]Nintendo Power 4.6 of 5[21]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_Emblem_(video_game)

This is a table for Fire Emblem 7's reviews. They've been reviewing these games for years now. They know the system.

But are they the same Reviewers?

Has anyone brought up that Kamui "kind of" looks like Robin*? It's not another blue-haired swordsman, but I can see people drawing comparisons between the two.

I actually was thinking the Dancer to be the Lord/Queen of the story based on her hair color, assuming developers are into the "only male can be lord." I think it would be nice to have a non male warrior leader once a while, make "Lord" worth protecting on the field and the gameplay bit more interesting.

I prefer there to be an avatar, someone that makes me feel as a part of the story and the army of the game, someone that can open up the every character of the game. The only problem with Kris and Robin I was not satisfy with was the Lords take all the credit in the end...

Also, did anyone notice how ridiculous Kamui's combat animations are? He/She is swinging around a giant sword like an amateur...

I've only played a few of FE series and I can't say that I have seen any character as profession weapon swinger... But is that not a signature move of mercaneries or Hero class?

I'm the type of person that likes to see an original character develop. I want another Leif, Seliph, PoR Ike, or SD Marth.

I'd like to point out that these two statements contradict each other. It makes no sense to say that you like original characters and immediately follow up by saying you want a rehash of several pre-existing characters, some of which weren't very original to begin with.

Robin and Kris were stagnant from start to finish.

I can't say much for Kris, but I would say that Robin has more originality going for him or her than characters like Leif or Seliph. Edited by Starman