What should change from Awakening

Galenforcer

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly galeforce should be nerfed to all hell or removed entirely because without an inheritance system it's limited to far too few characters for it to be fair to have it be as powerful as it is in Awakening.

Second Seals need to be kept, if only for the reason that they completely destroy paranoia about units being permanently rng-screwed without making no grind runs easy or anything.

The nature of the game indicates that DLC and a world map has a high chance of staying, and I think that's a good thing.

If they keep the "open world" format though, what definitely needs to go are Brave Weapons. They're just too majorly game-breaking in the FE:A style context, especially when they're infinitely purchasable.

I already get the impression that the plot will be relatively less scatterbrained, which is understandable given they aren't working with the pressure of potential cancellation. Hopefully the characters will be a little less one-dimensional.

Gameplay-wise, better balance with Pair Up and grinding, more varied map objectives, GBA stuff like weather/ballista/stealing. I would like a different skill system, maybe something like Radiant Dawn. If they have a world map then hopefully gaiden chapters will be worked in better instead of popping up randomly like in Awakening and interrupting the story. Sacred Stones sometimes limited your movement on the world map if the story necessitated it.

I kinda hope they fix the exp formula and maybe add in the option to turn off dual strikes/guards. The exp formula was more broken than pair up in my opinion, and while pair up and second seals were optional in use, dual strikes and guards weren't, so it would be neat if those features could be turned off to make the game more flexible in the types of challenge runs you could do.

Edited by Blademaster!

Make the maps more vaired with indoor maps, narrow points, weak points in the walls etc. This will make it more suitable for different mission types like defense/escape etc.

The other thing I might change is limit second seal use. Oh and please change the design of the knights. For all of us.

-Limiting Pair Up. Maybe by ensuring that the unit in front only get bonuses where the unit in the back has better stats. It'd be more of a "covering each other's weakness" kind of a deal instead of the fusion it is now.

-Nerf Dual Guard, so it only reduce damage by an amount equal to the supporting unit's defence. Same for Dual Strikes.

-Straightening the plot out. It wasn't as bad as some claims (especially considering the rest of the serie) but it was a bit too quick and confusing on some points.

-Better map design.

-Bring back the interesting objectives like defense and escape.

-Don't bring back weight, status staves and a few other annoying bullcraps that should stay gone.

Edited by Iceclaw

Better designed maps, more objectives, maybe a mode without the World Map or something like that. I want more options for paired endings, too, more recruitable characters, with various recruitment requirements. Maybe one with a hard requirement like Xavier. And some classes that got shafted could come back, such as Bishop, with Status staves and non Dark Siege tomes.

If they keep the "open world" format though, what definitely needs to go are Brave Weapons. They're just too majorly game-breaking in the FE:A style context, especially when they're infinitely purchasable.

I doubt they would get rid of them because Brave Weapons have been in the series for a LONG time.I say just stick them in chests and un-purchasable like the other games.

-Don't bring back weight, status staves and a few other annoying bullcraps that should stay gone.

But I liked those things.Added difficulty.Plus,they're freaking nostalgic to me and I want them back.

What about magic weapon triangle? I found that I actually kinda missed it and ended up just giving all my magic users thunder and dark type tomes.

I want the magic triangle back.Kinda made fighting with tomes in FE13 boring to me.And make more powerful tomes like Thoron less available.

I don't think anything from Awakening needs to change or leave. At the core, Awakening has a ton of content that is a really solid foundation. This game looks to be heavily borrowing from Awakening (similar to how all of the GBA games piggybacked their interfaces) and so I think I'm correct in saying that Awakening is going to be the foundation for this game. I think FEif (calling it just "if" looks weird in sentences right now) is going to expand off of what Awakening did, so we may see things like light magic, bishops, ballistas, more objectives, etc.

Biggest hope for me is a difficulty between Awakening's Hard and Lunatic.

I really want Rescue to come back! Pair Up just didn't help when one of my units was almost dead.

I'd say I want both to come back into the game, but I don't know if they'd work together. There's just something about Pair Up / Rescue that makes me feel like it wouldn't belong for both to be there. Still, I hope both end up being in the game.

I honestly hated weapon weight. I just never understood how it worked! True, it became challenging, and I do love challenges. But at some points, it just became frustrating for me when I'd die out of the blue, simply because I wasn't prepared with my Steel Lance, expecting a Knight to come, but I'm ruined instead by a Mercenary.

I loved the traversable world map, so I think that should stay.

What SHOULD change from Awakening is the split decision thing. I loved in FE8 that you're choice actually changed the rest of the game. Pick Eirika's route, and you get a whole different set of chapters. Gameplay / story actually changed based on your decision. Unlike Awakening, where both ended up in the same path.

Skills, all that fancy stuff, I just hope they come up with new ones. 5 skills was great, in comparison to Tellius games "capacity". Galeforce was nice, but I just can't find a way to "limit" or "nerf" it. Only 5 Galeforce per turn? ...maybe.

I don't think anything from Awakening needs to change or leave. At the core, Awakening has a ton of content that is a really solid foundation. This game looks to be heavily borrowing from Awakening (similar to how all of the GBA games piggybacked their interfaces) and so I think I'm correct in saying that Awakening is going to be the foundation for this game. I think FEif (calling it just "if" looks weird in sentences right now) is going to expand off of what Awakening did, so we may see things like light magic, bishops, ballistas, more objectives, etc.

Biggest hope for me is a difficulty between Awakening's Hard and Lunatic.

I agree for the most part I loved Awakening I just want a few of the mechanics of the series to return (not take away) now that the series is in a good position. Things like varied mission objectives and magic weapon triangle. But yeah I loved Awakening for how much content they packed into that game with the DLC and all, different pairing/supports.

I'd really like seeing both the characters and the enemies having lower stats. 50% spd growth being just mediocre in awakening was kind of lame, for example, so I'd really want them to go back to FE7 level growths, or at least FE9.

I don't really see that happening, sadly.

A better higher difficulty. Lunatic was fun, but too easily breakable. On the other hand, the fake difficulty made it too hard if you didn't break it or at least use few characters.

More objectives. Seizing is the best!!

Nerf Pair Up, since it's still there. I'd rather it wasn't, but I can just not use it (just like I did on most of my awakening playthrough), so It's not really a big deal.

Edited by Nobody

i think there's a certain beauty in the way the mechanics for stats works in fe5, and so i would gladly welcome a harkening back to it. but, with a special twist: i am a huge fan of 3 tiers, so perhaps fe14 could be as long as fe10, and the maximum stats can be in the 25-35 range (i'm leaning towards 30). but, i wouldn't mind if it stayed the way it is currently with just adding an extra tier either.

my biggest complaint, the story, is probably going be changing for the better, so that's good.

it's not going to happen, based on the footage, but flashier animations.

a new knight --> general class model.

as others have said, increased objective variety and a more impressive overall map design.

But I liked those things.Added difficulty.Plus,they're freaking nostalgic to me and I want them back.

Nostalgia isn't a very good reason for bringing back bad design, now it is? And both of those were: weight was either trivialised past early game (if based upon strength), or redundant with stats, because most units were either "slow but hard hitting and good constitution" or "quick, but low strength and con". as such, it just made slow units just as slow and hard hitting, and screwed over weaker units if they wanted to use better weaponry than the most basic and weaker tier. FE7 especially was ridiculous about that: All three of the Pegasii sisters had 4 or 5 in con, and only could use Slim Lances with AS loss.

And staves, well, were essentially a gear check: do you have a restore staff? Y/N. They admittingly could be fun when once in a blue moon you got your hands on one of those, but they were more of an annoying feature altogether.

Objectively speaking....nah, can't think of anything that would really need fixing. I mean, yeah, they can always add bells and whistles like weather effects, more complex maps, more skills, new classes, etc, etc, but I can't think of anything that was outright unneeded or annoying.

Everything

Nah, but I wasn't a fan of the story, the WayTooTropy Characters, the map diversity, the big emphasis on grinding, the fanservice, the supports, pretty much all of it.

I really want Rescue to come back! Pair Up just didn't help when one of my units was almost dead.

I'd say I want both to come back into the game, but I don't know if they'd work together. There's just something about Pair Up / Rescue that makes me feel like it wouldn't belong for both to be there. Still, I hope both end up being in the game.

This is actually one thing that annoys me when people bring up pair-up and compare it to rescue, when they have completely different purposes and the only thing that is remotely similar is that you have one less unit and how they are executed through the menu.

As you say, when you pair-up, the character who does it goes behind the character and gives it a stat boost + permanent access to dual strike and dual guard.

Rescue on the other hand is supposed to be used as a last resort, like you got critted or you missed and you have to get the character out of there.

The difference is, your not supposed to have someone rescued at all timed since it's a last resort to save someone, while if you pair-up, it's entirely possible you want to stay paired-up the entire map for the benefits.

And if you think about saving a near death character who screwed up their attack, is used and you have to get him/her out of there, and go with another character and pair-up with him/her.

This is not a rant strictly for you so, sorry if I come off as an ass. I'm just tired when people compare rescue to pair-up, when they have completely different purposes.

This is actually one thing that annoys me when people bring up pair-up and compare it to rescue, when they have completely different purposes and the only thing that is remotely similar is that you have one less unit and how they are executed through the menu.

As you say, when you pair-up, the character who does it goes behind the character and gives it a stat boost + permanent access to dual strike and dual guard.

Rescue on the other hand is supposed to be used as a last resort, like you got critted or you missed and you have to get the character out of there.

The difference is, your not supposed to have someone rescued at all timed since it's a last resort to save someone, while if you pair-up, it's entirely possible you want to stay paired-up the entire map for the benefits.

And if you think about saving a near death character who screwed up their attack, is used and you have to get him/her out of there, and go with another character and pair-up with him/her.

This is not a rant strictly for you so, sorry if I come off as an ass. I'm just tired when people compare rescue to pair-up, when they have completely different purposes.

Well, what I'm talking about is how Rescue and Pair Up can be used to save someone. I understand that they're not the same.

I'm talking for myself, not the general crowd. I use Pair Up like it's Rescue. And that is why I compare the two like that. Since Rescue was not in Awakening, I used Pair Up as my very own "Rescue".

Edited by Carter

I agree about the return of ability to rescue, no avatar (or one with far less focus), return to non-marriage support style of past games (if there's no 2nd-gen, anyway), and definitely more objectives. The "survive x amount of turns" type ones in particular would make me happy to see again. Weakening pair-up seems like a must, honestly. And money was just WAY too easy to obtain in Awakening, I never felt like I had to conserve at all.

More expressive character portraits than Awakening is my hope as far as cosmetic changes go, like if they could have a more fluid shift from one emotion to the other. And more face variety in the character designs, since Awakening had a lot of same-y faces on a lot of characters, or maybe it was just more noticeable there than in past games, idk.

Edited by FinalArcadia

I think this is a good chance for the team to do some balancing work. I did't mind awakening, but it was the first game on the 3ds with a lot of new stuff, so its logical wasn't as polished as it could have been.

I would like it if the pair up system was a little more balanced. Don't automatically make pair up the perfect solution 100% of the time. I would like to see it as a trade off. Better stats, but not enough to completely steamroll things so it will be a choice between more units or units with better stats.

Better map design, although I did't think Awakening was as bad as is often claimed.

Better story, but I think that will be fine if they keep focussing on one or two things this time.

And lastly I hope they do something about brave weapons. Previous games had either con, availabilty or both holding them back to be too game breaking, but Awakening lacked that and made brave weapons easy to get. The pair up system also made the brave weapons being too good worse then it already was.

Edited by Sasori