What should change from Awakening

Galenforcer

BRING BACK OLDER STAVES

Seriously, older staves boil down to more than just status staves: before Awakening we had Warp, Thief/Unlock, Torch, Again, etc. Staves can do more than heal, raise Resistance or pull in units. And on that note, Rescue is not an entry-level ability. It was rare and had a high rank in previous games for good reason. If you want a lower-level version then how about a Return staff? Moves units to their location at the start of the turn, possibly with a lower range cap; perfect for bringing units to safety without breaking maps in two. The Mag/2 range formula could stand to be retooled as well: it was fine before, but with higher caps and easy bonuses...

Activation skills could also use a nerf, especially if units are going to have multiple skills. Either limit their activation to one per round of combat, or switch to a manual activation system. Vengeance should be a passive skill too, returning half the damage taken when counterattacking instead of turning units into Danger Mario. Wrath could use similar treatment.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a list of what I think should change from Awakening. Probably a stretch expecting this much, but I'm sure some of this might get in.

Weapons:

• Have weight return so that CON can actually be used for something, and give CON the FE5 treatment (implementing it as a stat with low growths). That way, different characters won't be stuck with the same CON throughout the entire game and miss out on using higher-tiered weapons.
  • Brave Weapons need to be limited like no tomorrow if there's going to be an open-world map. Give the weapons a large weight and low use like in previous games.
  • Reintroduce Light Magic along with the Magic Triangle.
  • Bring back Status Staves such as Berserk and Sleep along with older staves as well.
  • Overall, new types of weapons like the Bronze Rod that was in the trailer.

Skills:

• For the love of Mary, Mother of God, have Galeforce either nerfed or removed.
  • Dual Strike should also be nerfed by having its damage reduced
  • Pair-Up is a nice mechanic, but very flawed. This can be rectified by having enemies Pair-Up as well, and the stat gains reduced while paired up.

Story:

• Give us a good plot.
  • Implement more variety when it comes to missions, such as Escape or Gaiden missions. I'd prefer Gaiden missions not to be on the map as it interrupts the flow of the game, but it's not a huge deal for me.
  • Have characters with better personality.
  • The Avatar should take a smaller role like in FE12, or have him be the main character (Lord, pretty much).
  • Choices that actually matter, along with split routes and alternate endings.
  • Remove the fucking marriage system.

Classes:

• Reintroduce the Monk, Bishop, and the Ballistician class.
  • Introduce more diverse classes in general.
  • Bring back Lock-picking and Stealing for thieves.

General:

• Better map design; bring back houses and traps similar to FE6's traps
  • Bring back the Torch and the Fog of War
  • Seriously limit the amount of money you can get on the World Map, along with the number of Merchants. Have money come from selling items, weapons.
  • Better attack animations for classes (small priority)
Edited by Rokklaggio

My own suggestions to improve If from Awakening

Gameplay

*Pair Up/Dual System: I do not know if Pair Up is back, but at least the Dual system is. The Dual system is fine on its own and adds a certain level of strategy if you keep units close by rather than spreading them out encouraging tight gameplay. Pair up either needs to be removed or reworked so they aren't too overpowered and easily abusable. Or, give bonuses for isolating units.

*Weather: I missed having fog wars. I want to see that come back on some maps to spice things up along with other stuff like Sandstorms or Snow. Heck, imagine having Hail on some maps…I've been playing too much Pokémon, I'm sorry. Although these also existed in Advanced Wars.

*More diverse map objectives: While routing and kill the commander was fun, I'd rather have map objectives be more diverse. Add survival maps, point capturing, or defending specific characters. Add these for map skirmishes if that returns as well.

Units

*Classes: No real change here. Just more unique classes. War Cleric/Monks were awesome. I like to see more quirky classes. I think there might have been Soldiers in the trailer or perhaps they were Knights. Either way, love to see these guys come back from Tellius.

**Thieves: Thieves in particular need to have Steal again and Make Lockpicking back to being an item or make it a command like Dance. Honestly, Locktouch was such an useless skill after a certain point except for Infinite Regalia.

*Special Skill: if they're gonna do reclassing again where they can reclass into two other classes, add one skill to them that they cannot learn from their reclasses or make skill scrolls like in the Telius Saga. In that same vein, don't make the scrolls easily accessible either, just limit them to one scroll in total in the game.

*Skill Rework: Some skills need a bit of rework, but for the most part, I'd like to see all the skills return. Of course a few new skills are nice too.

*Weapons: Moar weapons of course. Some need nerfing like Brave weapons and what not. Light Tomes need to come back and the Magic Triangle should be back in both of its forms.

Misc

*Multiplayer: Yes, we all know this wasn't in Awakening because of the infinite chance of Dual Guards, but assuming that does not come back then add this mode. I'd love to challenge my friend's army to see who is the better tactician. If Pair Up IS back then just disable it, simple.

*Einherjars: These were cool, but they were just additional "Avatars" with the old FE artworks slapped on their faces. I hope they do not return, but DLC may be another story. If they add DLC characters of old FE lords or add Amiibo compatibility with Marth, Ike, Robin, and Lucina then I hope they get unique models and what not. The DLC Maps, especially the second wave, were really fun so I hope DLC does come in some form.

*Bonus stuff for having Awakening: It would be cool if there was additional stuff in the game that you can access if you have Awakening. They could do it like FE6 to FE7. I know this isn't a change or anything, but it would be a cool extra in the game.

But I do hope they keep the quirky cast of Awakening. It made me happy to see other characters not be stoic units almost 100% of the time. Though I wish it was more subtle sometimes.

Edited by Naui

Here's a list of what I think should change from Awakening. Probably a stretch expecting this much, but I'm sure some of this might get in.

Weapons:

• Have weight return so that CON can actually be used for something, and give CON the FE5 treatment (implementing it as a stat with low growths). That way, different characters won't be stuck with the same CON throughout the entire game and miss out on using higher-tiered weapons.
  • Brave Weapons need to be limited like no tomorrow if there's going to be an open-world map. Give the weapons a large weight and low use like in previous games.
  • Reintroduce Light Magic along with the Magic Triangle.
  • Bring back Status Staves such as Berserk and Sleep along with older staves as well.
  • Overall, new types of weapons like the Bronze Rod that was in the trailer.

Skills:

• For the love of Mary, Mother of God, have Galeforce either nerfed or removed.
  • Dual Strike should also be nerfed by having its damage reduced
  • Pair-Up is a nice mechanic, but very flawed. This can be rectified by having enemies Pair-Up as well, and the stat gains reduced while paired up.

Story:

• Give us a good plot.
  • Implement more variety when it comes to missions, such as Escape or Gaiden missions. I'd prefer Gaiden missions not to be on the map as it interrupts the flow of the game, but it's not a huge deal for me.
  • Have characters with better personality.
  • The Avatar should take a smaller role like in FE12, or have him be the main character (Lord, pretty much).
  • Choices that actually matter, along with split routes and alternate endings.
  • Remove the fucking marriage system.

Classes:

• Reintroduce the Monk, Bishop, and the Ballistician class.
  • Introduce more diverse classes in general.
  • Bring back Lock-picking and Stealing for thieves.

General:

• Better map design; bring back houses and traps similar to FE6's traps
  • Bring back the Torch and the Fog of War
  • Seriously limit the amount of money you can get on the World Map, along with the number of Merchants. Have money come from selling items, weapons.
  • Better attack animations for classes (small priority)

Adding on to this, I kinda want more intense spell animations. The ones in Awakening seemed "meh" compared to GBA and FE10. Book of Naga was the only animation that really stood out to me (It was also the only Light Tome in the game, though I'm not sure it was even considered light magic in that game).

Adding on to this, I kinda want more intense spell animations. The ones in Awakening seemed "meh" compared to GBA and FE10. Book of Naga was the only animation that really stood out to me (It was also the only Light Tome in the game, though I'm not sure it was even considered light magic in that game).

I find it pretty amusing that Book of Naga is a recolored Grima's Truth.

My list of what should be changed, ordered in nice bullet points split up by category

PLOT

• Should just be made less cliche over all
  • Should feel less like a restated TVTropes article

SKILLS

• Galeforce and Armsthrift should be nerfed or removed entirely. The 100% chance of Armsthrift activating with 50+ Luck is hilariously broken, and Galeforce is just flat out insane
  • Replace Locktouch with Lockpick items

WEAPONS

• Re-add Light Magic and have there be more than 6 Dark Magic spells that are only usable by 2 classes in the entire game
  • Nerf the Brave Weapons. They are ridiculously OP because 1 Might less then Silver Weapons? Really IS?
  • Make Rescue require a higher Weapon Level to use. It did not feel right endlessly spamming Rescue staves to level up stave XP
  • Re-add weight, PLEASE!

CLASSES

• Re-add third tiers, Monks, Bishops, Brigands, and Ballisticians
  • Make some of the class designs less eye cancerous (Like the Knight line and Fem!Wyvern Riders)
  • Make Archers at least decent

GAMEPLAY

• Re-add rain and Fog of War
  • Have more variety in missions (Like seize, escape, defend, ETC.)
  • Have better designed, less linear missions
  • Have breakable walls and more chests and doors

OTHER

• Make the Einherjar units not recustomized avatars
  • Make Second Seals not be everywhere
  • Make Master Seals not be everywhere
  • Make the Lord NOT promote with a Master Seal
  • Alter the Streetpass thing to be better

Edited by The Dark Armorknight

I find it pretty amusing that Book of Naga is a recolored Grima's Truth.

That too. Both are pretty much the same thing but Grima's Truth is only seen for about 1-2 Chapters.

I would like to see the Co-op mode that was utter crap removed.

I'd also like to see DLC removed or at least fixed. You had a limit on how many characters you paid for you could have if you wanted to keep spot pass and street pass characters. It was also too pricey for how very, very short it was.

- Galeforce and Rescue staff nerfed (but not removed entirely).

- The Avatar (if it has one) cannot support everyone and cannot reclass into every non-special class.

- More balanced Dual/Pair-up system. And if possible, the enemies can use those too, but on higher difficulty.

- If the highest difficulty is the same as Awakening Lunatic+, I hope they have fixed skills instead of random.

DLC probably won't be removed and/or limited since that's how IS makes extra money in the first place.

Edited by Ryo

- Galeforce and Rescue staff nerfed (but not removed entirely).

- The Avatar (if it has one) cannot support everyone and cannot reclass into every non-special class.

- More balanced Dual/Pair-up system. And if possible, the enemies can use those too, but on higher difficulty.

- If the highest difficulty is the same as Awakening Lunatic+, I hope they have fixed skills instead of random.

DLC probably won't be removed and/or limited since that's how IS makes extra money in the first place.

Return staff should return to having limited availability like in the past games. You only got one B-ranked Return in a single playthrough and you had to make great careful use of it whereas in Awakening you could just buy one for low money and use it on everybody.

If the Avatar is actually the Lord, I'd think it'd be interesting to see the "army leader" interact with every one of his "troops".

I suggested the same "Eneny used Pair Up" thing on another thread.

Another change I would like to see is flashier spell animations

Adding on to this, I kinda want more intense spell animations.

plz.

I think it'd be cool to bring back special base conversations like in PoR along with Awakening's barracks chats. Have a few special ones that require certain actions to unlock and/or trigger different events.

I want lots of things, but what stands out to me most gameplay wise is a workable multiplayer, and light magic. Gimme light magic back IS! Oh, and the Trinity of Magic of course!

I also kinda want Griffon Riders to return as their own separate flying class so we can have three different flying mount classes with some statistical and weapon differences. Speaking of which, it'd also be nice if we could get some land mount classes other than just on horse back.....wolves or something would be cool too....

I also kinda want Griffon Riders to return as their own separate flying class so we can have three different flying mount classes with some statistical and weapon differences.

Oh yes, this needs to happen. I got super excited when I first saw Griffon Riders but then I realized they were only a promoted class. ;___; It would definitely be cool to have another flying class! My wish for male pegasus knights will never die though, despite the impossibilities.

I hope there's a post game feature, like FE8s. The ruins were pretty fun and it's way better than FE13's. I'm also hoping for a return of various mission objectives (maybe they are intertwined with the choices you make?) and Fog of War. After reading this thread, I feel rather nostalgic now...

Oh, this may be a really small nitpick, but if reclassing returns I'd like everyone to retain their color palette even when changed class. (Everything else I'd like different has already been stated)

Edited by Monado Boy

Better feet

Mostly what I want has been said.

1. Thieves being able to steal and gain experience from doing Thief things

2. Adding a personal skill that's not obtainable through the unit's reclass options.

3. Fix the voice bug

What I could do without is the removal of the S supports in terms of text. I liked the paired endings in the older games. I suggest keeping Awakening's support system where it's possible to obtain A's with all of the supportable characters and only one S support but just have something like "X & Y has reached S support!" appear and that's it. It's less writing for the writer anyway. I'm fine with the way Awakening handled inheritance assuming that there will be children.

I could get really nitpicky if I wanted to... but if I were to pick one main thing I'd like to see changed/improved, it would be maps/chapter objectives. Routing and Defeating Commanders is pretty simplistic for every map, after all. And it we are more defensive and other unique sorts of objectives, that in and of itself would help to balance out things like Galeforce and Pair Up.

If I were to pick a second thing to change/improve, it would be to bring back 3rd tier classes again, just because those were so cool. >_>

I could get really nitpicky if I wanted to... but if I were to pick one main thing I'd like to see changed/improved, it would be maps/chapter objectives. Routing and Defeating Commanders is pretty simplistic for every map, after all. And it we are more defensive and other unique sorts of objectives, that in and of itself would help to balance out things like Galeforce and Pair Up.

If I were to pick a second thing to change/improve, it would be to bring back 3rd tier classes again, just because those were so cool. >_>

Definitely agree with the first point, along with the waifus the overall quality of the maps (which were mainly open fields) and the objectives (which weren't creative at all) were both below par. Hopefully they will fix these issues.

Third tiers are definitely cool, but they only worked because Radiant Dawn is a long game, or your units would remain at 20/20 for a big chunk of the game. Adding that the game didn't have any reclassing, Awakening units are way beyond Radiant Dawn units in terms of caps+infinite reclassing. If the new game keeps the same concept as Awakening then it will just be too much, haha :Roy:

If the game is a decent length (and Awakening was over 50 chapters, after all, if you got all the children and count the Paralogues, and not even including the DLC maps), I could see 3rd tiers added, perhaps as an alternative to heavy use of reclassing. I don't think it's unfeasible, though things like stat gains and caps would likely have to be tweaked.

I'd really like to see pairings nerfed a little. I pretty much solo'd apotheosis by pairing Avatar and Flavia up. Avatar ahd Aversa's night and flavia had a brave axe. The 4 attacks from flavia every round ignoring pavise is kinda silly.

I also kind awnat magic triangle back, feels wierd not having that anymore, makes me question why even bother with some of the magic.

Would of course like to see more classes, charecters etc.

Huge fan of the waifuism but im also weaboo trash so my opinion on that is kinda skewed.

Would really like to see Robin make a chameo somehow, maybe using the amiibo? Idk, would liek to see amiibo interaction. Summon some charecters from other games would be legit. Imagine Samus or soemthing :D

Would like to see personal choices make a bigger impact on the story as well, maybe make a couple charecters one or the other choices (kinda like Harken/Karel). Or even compeletly varied endings, kinda like growlanser wayfarer of time. You could become the villain and take overt the world in that game lol.

:O definitly want soldier/halberdier back. nephenee was boss

/end rant(?)

Edited by Arcled

Nerf the skill system. Having five of any skill was a bit too much. It made some skills useless and others really overpowered. Maybe the skills like galeforce and counter could stay if we reverted to a more Tellius skill system where each skill is worth so much. Either have a few decent skills or one or two great ones or a mix of them

Shall I be honest?

Almost everything!

I don't want to repeat myself anymore (mentioned in several threads already), but I will say it in a short way again:

My wishes:

• light magic => magic weapon triangle
  • staves like sleep, silence and berserk and maybe some new staves
  • ballistas
  • weapon weight (however it has to be fixed for mages)
  • anima long range tomes
  • steal command for thieves
  • much more mission types (defend, escape, rout mission in XX turns)
  • bringing third tier class back instead of endless reclassing
Edited by The Taninator

Oh yes, this needs to happen. I got super excited when I first saw Griffon Riders but then I realized they were only a promoted class. ;___; It would definitely be cool to have another flying class! My wish for male pegasus knights will never die though, despite the impossibilities.

I would love if they just cut gendered classes all together. I want a female barbarian and a male Pegasus Knight.