What should change from Awakening

Galenforcer

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That War Monk one is hilarious

Truly my sprite editing skills are unparalleled.

Though honestly speaking I'm quite happy with the griffon sprite I managed to cobble together.

Edited by Jotari

In my opinion, what should change is the attitude of hard fanboys towards the marriage system and the avatar inself, but anyway...

I'd like more support conversations to appear, some extra classes (and the taguel and dragons stay!!) and the feet, but they already made their appareance.

Well, and as we're getting an Asian feeling this game, i'd like a ninja/samurai class!

-Bring back the dismount feature. It actually made me think and plan ahead before rushing into chapters. I honestly feel it's a feature that should have returned a long time ago.

-Let us visit/wander around villages like in Gaiden.

-Don't go with the "Just this once... EVERYONE LIVES!!!" route. I couldn't stand how characters Gangrel and Emmeryn came back in the end.

-No more anime trope style characters please.

-For the love of god, give the Mu a smaller role.

-Remove Marriage system

-Actually make the magic look good. Don't make all spells just recolors of each other.

Here's what I would like:

1. Longer, larger, more involved maps.

Seriously, most missions I finished in 6 turns or less, or I didn't finish them at all and had to reload if I was on insane difficulty. I almost never used staves the entire game, because battles simply weren't long enough. Either we won outright, or someone died and I reset.

2. Rebalancing to accommodate removed weapon weight

Seriously, this is my biggest issue with the series right now. They removed weapon weight in 12, which, fine, that's the developer's choice, whatever, but they never rebalanced the classes to make up for that. Combined with the nerfing of Berserkers and Snipers in awakening, you end up with a lot of classes that are incredibly useless, with the biggest offender being Generals. To account for their complete loss of speed, something should be done to make the class a viable option again, like giving them much higher defense and/or strength.

3. Return of magic weapon triangle

Please, please, please. Put back in the three types of magic. That made it so much more interesting, and made Bishops actually usable classes for once.

Also, and this is just a personal note, but:

DO NOT EVER USE THE PHRASE "DEFY FATE" AGAIN!!!!!!!

My god, that got annoying. Seriously, NO ONE CARES!!!

Oh, and

4. No more class changes.

This is more of a personal issue, but I really dislike it. It totally removes a lot of the sense of identity the characters have when they can change into almost anything, especially children. For example, I paired Miriel and Lon'qu. My Loran never did any magic, he was a dragonrider/swordmaster.

I liked it better in 5/6 when you went into a map and were like, okay, I HAVE to use Sety (or whatever his official name is now) because that's the only way I'll be able to take out this guy, or I'd better make sure to bring a bunch of cavaliers for mobility, so I'll have to use so and so. In awakening, I could just shift my best characters to whatever class I needed, and it really bugged me.

BTW, I liked Jotari's class tree, and I agree with him about the taguel.

Edited by Red Fox of Fire

Awakening had a very solid engine but the changes most needed is that pair up needs to be nerfed as do some skills such as Sol, Galeforce and such.

Counter can stay how it is because it doesn't work for the player very well but is troll for enemies :P.

If there is an avatar they need to be THE main character so they aren't a spotlight stealing squad like Kris and Robin.

Plot stuff needs to be more solid obviously, we'll see how it goes.

4. No more class changes.

This is more of a personal issue, but I really dislike it. It totally removes a lot of the sense of identity the characters

You don't have to use it. It's there as an option if people want to try different things(one minor nitpick but I wish they kept the head sprite for all of the reclass options instead of having generics for some classes). Honestly, the same argument can go for the Dual system. Pair Up is very advantageous for the player but it's not like the game isn't unbeatable without it unless we're talking harder difficulties.

Edited by Magician Lugh

The only thing I ask, is a much better story than Awakening, no more of that awkward writing with manga cliche and stupid characters.
If they could also never talk about curses and hexes ever again, I would be happy.

Besides that ? Some difficulty, some balance, the only way I could have fun in FEA, was in hard mode. Not Normal, not Lunatic. Hard mode, even then, the fun quickly ran away.

Lunatic and Lunatic+ was just plain luck for me, that's not what I want to see in a Fire Emblem, I want to invest myself in the maps I play, without boned. Don't see what's awesome about Lunatic, besides being a pseudo-hard mode thingy.

More map objectives, I miss the "Must protect X" missions.

I wouldn't mind if they removed the world map system.

For me, Taguel, is a big, fat, osef.

Prepare to die edition.
Hot Dragon on Dancer Action.

Priam's haircut. But red !

Wouldn't mind the rescue system to come back, I miss it. But since the Pair up is already there, we're boned.

Fenrir and Forblaze animation.

Want the fog back, I want to thought 'Oh crap !' after a reckless move !

Normal mode to be normal. Easy mode to be easy. Hard mode to be hard. Lunatic to go away.

You don't have to use it. It's there as an option if people want to try different things(one minor nitpick but I wish they kept the head sprite for all of the reclass options instead of having generics for some classes). Honestly, the same argument can go for the Dual system. Pair Up is very advantageous for the player but it's not like the game isn't unbeatable without it unless we're talking harder difficulties.

I see your point, we don't have to use it, yeah. The problem is that you just don't show off three-four gameplay mechanics without expecting the player to use them, it's just poor design.

I don't dislike the Pair Up option though, I even wish the ennemy could use it !

I love classes choice, but I would prefer if they were more a la Sacred stone, choose between two at each Class change.

Edited by B.Leu

saying "you don't have to use it" is a very dangerous line.

technically speaking, i can beat awakening without recruiting any children, marrying any character, ignoring supports, not use pair up, never grind, and not using second seals on hard/classic or buying any of the DLC.

what makes 'WELL YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE IT" so dangerous is that this can lead to others thinking "alright i can beat this game without using 3/4ths of the entire game's mechanics, doesn't this mean its a poorly designed game?" "well if i don't have to use it then its a waste of space in the game that they could've used to make the actual gameplay much better so i would have to use more game mechanics"

someone tell me if i'm wrong, but typically when someone makes something, they intend for it to be used, otherwise, whats the point?

Edited by HF Makalov Fanboy Kai

technically speaking, i can beat awakening without recruiting any children, marrying any character, ignoring supports, not use pair up, never grind, and not using second seals on hard/classic or buying any of the DLC.

what makes 'WELL YOU DON'T HAVE TO USE IT" so dangerous is that this can lead to others thinking "alright i can beat this game without using 3/4ths of the entire game's mechanics, doesn't this mean its a poorly designed game?" "well if i don't have to use it then its a waste of space in the game that they could've used to make the actual gameplay much better so i would have to use more game mechanics"

someone tell me if i'm wrong, but typically when someone makes something, they intend for it to be used, otherwise, whats the point?

The thing is a player at your level and a player at the level they were targeting are going to use every single feature. The majority of the people who bought the game were not people on these boards and were for sure not like you. That doesn't mean you don't have the right to complain but the fact is most people had no problems with any of the systems you don't like.

If they are cut and new ones are brought in, great, I loved FE7-13 (Well 10 is questionable) but I think the game progressed where your demands are trying to regress the series. The game exists still, every demand shouldn't be removing stuff, we should be bringing back things and adding new things.

Couples actually acknowledged the fact that they are a couple, no more Cordelia married Avatar then immediately go "Chrom-senpai pls noticed me!" bullshit.

No more unrequited love bullshit.

Give the Avatar/kamui a proper wedding please, no more generic wedding cut-scene. I want to see how different characters react to the wedding and how the wife/husband react, in Awakening I'm not even sure if Chrom noticed that I married his daughter.

Couples status actually being referenced in the main story-line and not have them act like a stranger to each other, I married Lucina the turn after she is introduced and she went on acting like "Who this?" to me.

I'm pretty sure not all supports are done in a barrack, more diversity of background sceneries for supports please!

Full voice acting please!

Make the S rank support actually seem like a proposing a marriage and not like reading a damn poem please. Cut out these corny poetic crap!

No more credit ending such as "...All blablabla agree that Robin love [insert whatever husband/wife you have] the Most." for Avatar please, if others can have a more detailed ending so can Avatar.

No more asspull plot such as the Valm's invasion arc please!

More customization for Avatar!

DLC's characters not just having a new artwork but also a new model that actually look like the artwork please.

More characters included for fanservice DLC please, I was promised a bikini Lucina but never got it!

More waifus!

That is all for me.

Edited by Awakener_

Nostalgia isn't a very good reason for bringing back bad design, now it is? And both of those were: weight was either trivialised past early game (if based upon strength), or redundant with stats, because most units were either "slow but hard hitting and good constitution" or "quick, but low strength and con". as such, it just made slow units just as slow and hard hitting, and screwed over weaker units if they wanted to use better weaponry than the most basic and weaker tier. FE7 especially was ridiculous about that: All three of the Pegasii sisters had 4 or 5 in con, and only could use Slim Lances with AS loss.

And staves, well, were essentially a gear check: do you have a restore staff? Y/N. They admittingly could be fun when once in a blue moon you got your hands on one of those, but they were more of an annoying feature altogether.

I'm sorry but weight was/is a good balancing mechanic. With the right values it just makes weapon usage far more worth considering.

Also it stops Brave weapons being extremely silly/broken.

And the concept of Peg Knights being able to use Steel Lances with zero penalty is pretty silly. Once again, weight adds interesting decisions in weapon usage when done right. A slim weapon might be 10x2 on a squishy unit. But Steel would be 17x1 on them. And a tankier unit a slim would be 2x2 but a steel would be 9x1. Point is, is that it just makes weapons really diverse.

Remove weight and that Steel weapon is now doing 9x2 or 17x2 which completely invalidates the slim.

When enemies are sucky it doesn't matter of course. In something like FE7 past a certain point most units could double with any weapon. Balance speed/con though and you just flat makes things more interesting. There's absolutely nothing bad about the system when done right.

Also, some weapons like Nosferatu feel really silly without weight. You'd have to gut the weapon harshly without the system. Or just make it really inaccessible or make the units who can use it bad etc...

Edited by DLuna

I'm sorry but weight was/is a good balancing mechanic. With the right values it just makes weapon usage far more worth considering.

Also it stops Brave weapons being extremely silly/broken.

And the concept of Peg Knights being able to use Steel Lances with zero penalty is pretty silly. Once again, weight adds interesting decisions in weapon usage when done right. A slim weapon might be 10x2 on a squishy unit. But Steel would be 17x1 on them. And a tankier unit a slim would be 2x2 but a steel would be 9x1. Point is, is that it just makes weapons really diverse.

Remove weight and that Steel weapon is now doing 9x2 or 17x2 which completely invalidates the slim.

When enemies are sucky it doesn't matter of course. In something like FE7 past a certain point most units could double with any weapon. Balance speed/con though and you just flat makes things more interesting. There's absolutely nothing bad about the system when done right.

Weight isn't even explained well in the FE games. Honestly, I hardly noticed weight was a thing outside of rescue in any of the Fire Emblem titles and I've beat every Fire Emblem since 7 about three times (Minus 10 and 12). I'm a massive fan but I play at a casual level of awareness. I personally love having stronger weapons on units and carrying betters weapons is just more about mastering the weapons. If weight comes back i doubt it will bug me but I don't think it being removed hurt the game.

Supports should be more limited in the game. I suggested this in another thread, but your actions in the game should dictate which people you can pair up with. So if you choose to save a village, an S support should be available to the pegasus knight is from that village. Or, if you choose to recruit a boss rather than kill the, your support with that boss's former underling should be made available. It would also be cool if the later supports acknowledged events in the game.

I would also like some type of magic triangle back, just so there is purpose in the various types of magic.

Bring back soldiers and monks.

The trend toward open ending gaming suggests otherwise. Giving players more choice is favored rather than limiting options. Just because I can use a sword but choose to use an axe doesnt not make the sword option less revelant.

That's also an example of your skill level. If you beat the game without using pair up, that means you are better at tactics than others. Some people can't beat it on hard with classic on. Which is why there are varying difficultly levels.

In terms of game design, the engine's space can vary differently than the actually gameplay. The engine being the core mechanics while gameplay is the game's levels and placement of units. Generally speaking, the engine does not take the space from gameplay. Sure, they could have spent more time on developing gameplay if they didnt have that feature, but the engine doesnt really take place of the gameplay.

I see your point, we don't have to use it, yeah. The problem is that you just don't show off three-four gameplay mechanics without expecting the player to use them, it's just poor design.

I don't dislike the Pair Up option though, I even wish the ennemy could use it !

I love classes choice, but I would prefer if they were more a la Sacred stone, choose between two at each Class change.

First, I just want to say I know nothing about game design so I can't comment on that.

However, I have wished that enemy units can also Pair Up but I think we'll have to go deeper than that. Enemy units being able to Pair Up can actually be very frustrating in two ways:

1. In early game where we are simply outnumbered and aren't very strong ourselves, it will be very hard to get through the chapter without losing someone if the enemies hit hard and are hard to kill.

2. They could make enemies weaker overall but then that takes away the challenge for the players even with Paired Up enemies.

If they make it so that enemies can also Pair Up, they'll most likely have to change the Dual System.

As for class changing, I'm ok with the way FE13 handled it but I think it won't bother me too much even if they do change it.

I don't think there is a clear solution to the problem. Yes, Awakening Pair Up is very uber and not using all of a game's mechanics is a waste of space but I'm standing by what I said. They're there as resources. People can use them if they want to and not if they don't. In the case where Pair Up or other mechanics is/are not available to the enemies, it calls for balancing and that takes a lot of work. But in the end, you can't please everyone as someone will get the short end of the stick. I think it's good to have options but whether or not they'll be used is up to the player.

I know I don't have to do it, and I know that this is all on me, but the simple possibility of endless grinding means that I'll end up doing it anyway, basically ruining the second half of the game or so for myself difficulty-wise. I did the same in FE8 - not that there was much to ruin difficulty-wise, but still Again, I know that's my own fault, but that for that very selfish reason alone I kind of like there to be no extreme / endless grinding opportunity :p.

As for weight, I liked it a lot myself, but I'm a sucker for more stats. Really, the more stats the merrier, just give me an entire page in the character status screen filled with stats.

Edited by Nackar

Weight isn't even explained well in the FE games. Honestly, I hardly noticed weight was a thing outside of rescue in any of the Fire Emblem titles and I've beat every Fire Emblem since 7 about three times (Minus 10 and 12). I'm a massive fan but I play at a casual level of awareness. I personally love having stronger weapons on units and carrying betters weapons is just more about mastering the weapons. If weight comes back i doubt it will bug me but I don't think it being removed hurt the game.

By your viewpoint though game balance =/= more fun. The point is that it objectively improved game balance. "Hurting the game" is subjective as to whether you take balance seriously. Awakening wasn't all that balanced but it's your opinion as to whether that actually mattered at all. I feel it does. And you don't gain anything from removing the system anyway aside from making certain weapons overshadow others even more.

Edited by DLuna

By your viewpoint though game balance =/= more fun. The point is that it objectively improved game balance. "Hurting the game" is subjective as to whether you take balance seriously. Awakening wasn't all that balanced but it's your opinion as to whether that actually mattered at all. I feel it does. And you don't gain anything from removing the system anyway aside from making certain weapons overshadow others even more.

To me that makes sense, I play JRPGs so I always outclass a weapon, every weapon gets useless in a matter of a chapter in the game for the new weapon. I don't think that makes the game unbalanced, It never hurt the game. I never felt OP for having the better weapon because everyone's weapons felt like they should be improving.

* Avatar is the main character. No more spotlight stealing from main lords since he/she would be the lord :)

* Maniac Mode

* Classic Mode = no grinding until postgame.

* No buyable Nosferatu or Rescue.

* Galeforce is now the Sniper Level 15 skill and only works once or twice per map. Unusable as anything but Sniper.

* Skirmishes dont block shops anymore in the map.

* Normal+, Hard+, Maniac+ in addition to Lunatic+. And limit Luna+ density early on.

* Avatar is the main character. No more spotlight stealing from main lords since he/she would be the lord :)

I think that's gonna happen. The Lord looking person has been shown with at least 3 different hair colors

* Maniac Mode

Would it be harder than Lunatic+?

* No buyable Nosferatu or Rescue.

I think they should still be able to found in Chests in a level grind, kinda like with the Valni tower in FE8

* Classic Mode = no grinding until postgame.

Or make it not have a world map at all, like almost all other FE games

* Galeforce is now the Sniper Level 15 skill and only works once or twice per map. Unusable as anything but Sniper.

YOU SMUG MADMAN

How about the only once or twice per map thing only. Per entire map across all characters.

* Skirmishes dont block shops anymore in the map.

ALL OF MY YES

* Normal+, Hard+, Maniac+ in addition to Lunatic+

I want every advantages I can get to beat Lunatic Plus, but that doesn't included nerfing Galeforce and make it exclusive to the most useless class of FE.

People don't seem to talk about those pre battle narrations being removed from Awakening but I for one missed them and hope they return(preferably with awesome narrator voice).

Imagine a narration with a map of Valm that shows the different countries and a bit about them like other FE games.

If FEif is going to be focused on this war between these two sides, a visual of the campaign like FE10 would be cool.

Edited by SecondWorld