What should change from Awakening

Galenforcer

I want every advantages I can get to beat Lunatic Plus, but that doesn't included nerfing Galeforce and make it exclusive to the most useless class of FE.

I believe the intention is that making it exclusive to said class will help to actually make them useful.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People don't seem to talk about those pre battle narrations being removed from Awakening but I for one missed them and hope they return(preferably with awesome narrator voice).

Imagine a narration with a map of Valm that shows the different countries and a bit about them like other FE games.

If FEif is going to be focused on this war between these two sides, a visual of the campaign like FE10 would be cool.

Yeah, I actively missed the map narration in Awakening. I would like that back.

People don't seem to talk about those pre battle narrations being removed from Awakening but I for one missed them and hope they return(preferably with awesome narrator voice).

Imagine a narration with a map of Valm that shows the different countries and a bit about them like other FE games.

If FEif is going to be focused on this war between these two sides, a visual of the campaign like FE10 would be cool.

I actually forgot FE13 left it out.

Wow. Now you mentioned it, I miss it quite a bit.

I'd like the pre-battle narrations back, too. Now that you mention it.

Also, like many people here, I'd either want the Avatar made the Lord of the game or have their role in the story reduced to that of the FE7 Tactician. No more spotlight-stealing secondary protagonist.

And bringing back the magic triangle would be great.

And more victory conditions besides "Kill the Boss" or "Kill Everyone".

And replace the fake difficulty of Lunatic+ with real difficulty (i.e. don't just randomly give all the enemies a bunch of really broken skills).

I think reducing it to the level of FE7's Tactician would be a bit much. That's a little too far in the opposite direction. The Avatar needs some presence beyond reminding us they exist every six chapters and nothing else. Actually coming to think of it the Avatar's presence would probably be best if it was on the level of Lyn. FE7 is still very much Eliwood or Hector's story despite starting off with Lyn. If she was a customizable character then nothing would really change. We just need our avatar hanging around talking to the lord(s) but not actively doing much beyond helping out in battle. Maybe even with the prestory story too.

Edited by Jotari

Off the top of my head...

• Pair Up bonuses should be nerfed, and the command made available only between units with an A-rank support.
  • Command-based skills like Steal returning (which I considered a series staple after the GBA/GCN era).
  • Rescue should return. Capture as well (mostly because I'd like to see them take a second stab at that idea).
  • Never write a plot involving children from the future again. No more WaifuEmblem!
  • Bring back weapon weight and constitution.
  • More hybrid magic/melee classes, take advantage of having both stats.
  • Light/Dark magic as individual weapon types, bring back the Magic Trinity and the Anima Trinity.
  • Limit/remove reclass items. Emphasizing grinding so heavily was a terrible gameplay decision.
  • More mission variety; FE13 was pretty much 75% rout, 25% defeat boss.
  • Whatever happened to fog of war, again? Weather effects?
  • Reaver weapons? Where art thou these days?
  • Status effects like Poison/Sleep/Berserk/Silence ought to return as well.
  • Nerf OP skills (Galeforce should just grant canto after a kill, not another full turn).
  • Make level-up skills based the character instead of the class (or remove them outright).
Edited by Arch

Most of what have been said, really, albeit with some parts that I don't disagree.

Generally, I'd like to see a mix between FE10 and FE13, but there're also parts I don't like about both.

• ​Maniac. Hard is too easy and Lunatic is too hard for first-time players. And what's wrong with FE12's Normal-Hard-Maniac-Lunatic levels, anyway?
  • Weapon types, yeah. Make it more diversed, and split the magic types.
  • Most say they want Wt and Con back, but I don't agree. This just contributes to imbalance; berserkers can lift heavy weapons AND have great strength? Rather, I'd like to see adjustment based on just the weapon accuracy.
  • Keep the numbers small. What's wrong with capping stats at 30? This would also help reducing the gap between the players and the enemies, and between trained and new units.
  • Make the story less generic. This is one of the parts that I don't like about FE13. And definitely no time travel. I never liked that, since it basically removes all drama and makes everything harder to comprehend.
  • Make S weapons return, and remove S supports.
  • Canto and Shove, please.

One thing I hope they don't change is having unlimited supports in a run (Aside from S supports if they exist in this game). It can be extremely disheartening to look at my completion of supports in the gameboy advance games and see them at 40-60% done after all the playthoughs I've done. Just let me support with whoever I want, I want to read all the damn dialogue.

• Make S weapons return, and remove S supports.

What's wrong with S supports? Future children and marriages aside, it's effectively an A support that allows infinite B supports. The former system did a good job of discouraging any supports by limiting it to just five.

To me that makes sense, I play JRPGs so I always outclass a weapon, every weapon gets useless in a matter of a chapter in the game for the new weapon. I don't think that makes the game unbalanced, It never hurt the game. I never felt OP for having the better weapon because everyone's weapons felt like they should be improving.

I agree. Weapons should be outclassed as the game goes on. It does feel good to be able to defeat an enemy equipped with a higher rank weapon/tome with a lower level weapon/tome though.

Non broken pair-up with drawbacks. Lots more customization, facial hair, skin colour and accessories please, if the Avatar exists. FE10 Skill System, I honestly hate grinding through classes to get simple things like pass, collecting items is more fun. More objectives with actual variety.

I would like them to give us the option of turning the reclass system off. I understand it has benefits and all but it takes away from the experience of watching your characters grow, and it takes away the opportunity to try out new characters since your character can be another class and farm skills (galeforce..)

Adding the soldier class to a hand held game would also make me a happy man, since I was expecting to see it in awakening, the spiritual sucessor of fe9+10, closest thing I got was donnel...

Other than that little things lower stat caps and ad a third class that might be fun

I have some things that I want to see in this game. But I thought some of them I wanted to see if they appear in the game like:

• Bringing back Seize
  • Bringing back the Narration
  • Bringing back returning skills like Canto, Shove, Smite, Steal, and Reinforce
  • Bringing back Third-tier
  • Bringing back Bishop, Rogue, Monks, Brigands, and Halberdier
  • Bringing back Light Magic and Knives
  • Put more SpotPass and DLC legacy characters that didn't appear in Awakening
  • Bringing back Base Conversations
  • Put Binding Blade and more Legacy weapons that didn't appear in Awakening
  • Put Jake and/or more recurring characters from the past games
  • Add more descents from were related to the other characters from the past games in the story similar like Priam
  • Bringing back S rank for weapons
  • Bringing back Fog War
Edited by Ichigo Kurosaki

I would like them to give us the option of turning the reclass system off. I understand it has benefits and all but it takes away from the experience of watching your characters grow, and it takes away the opportunity to try out new characters since your character can be another class and farm skills (galeforce..)

Adding the soldier class to a hand held game would also make me a happy man, since I was expecting to see it in awakening, the spiritual sucessor of fe9+10, closest thing I got was donnel...

Other than that little things lower stat caps and ad a third class that might be fun

Why do you view Awakening as the spiritual successor of Tellius? It doesn't have canto, multiple cavalry class divided by weapon type or three tier classes. The skill system is also vastly different. I think it's closer to a successor of Sacred Stones given the return of world map, skirmishes, infinite exp potential, class based skills and most importantly, branching classes. With an obvious pull from Holy War with the generation system. Really of all the games the Tellius ones are the last two I would think it as a successor of. I guess they both have 3D battle scenes but that's just advancement of technology, nothing really do do with gameplay or design.

Edited by Jotari

While I would like to see more chapter clear conditions to the level it was in the past games I think a single chapter clear condition can be kept around if there are plenty of secondary objectives to keep you going or an interesting map layout.

An example that comes to mind is Victory or Death in FE7. This chapter has you seize. A very typical clear condition. However, there is a ton of stuff going on in this chapter. You effectively have three fronts you could approach upon. One is through a narrow pass in the north with field. The east path is through the mountains and field while the center is through plenty of forts and forests. Along the way you can claim some villages before laying siege to a boss which is surrounded by ballista, bolting, and forest to slow you down long with two narrow entrances to the area for most foot units. These to me is a very interesting map to play upon.

Several FE13 maps did not take this feature and instead had a large map without much reason to traverse most of the terrain. Most of the endgame chapters were like this. The final grima chapter is huge, but there is very little reason to even play on most of that space. The chapter preceding it with Aversa has two paths. Unfortunately, I see no reason to really go down one path or another. The terrain did not seem very selective and felt more like it was randomly placed. The other Aversa chapter with the strong enemies was more interesting. There was a chapter near Tiki's paralogue where it is literally one huge map of forest. While an interesting idea there was literally no reason to trudge around say the north or south side. You were sort of forced to in order to reach rout requirements. Maybe if there were some ballista or long range magic it would make each turn feel like a new ordeal to overcome. Say I got past the first round of enemies and now have to face teh ballista and siege magic users around the boss. Nope. Same idea the whole way down. Kill everything you run across.

Apart from a few maps most of the chapters were not very fun to play on. There is only so much of "Point this unit this way and kill everything and repeat until chapter is over with" before I get sick of it.

The changes I want to see is more secondary and tertiary goals throughout a map. Make it feel like me getting to turn 4-5 because I got past these particular enemy arrangements as a meaningful step.

Edited by Vorena

No more overly childish characters

Oh God yes - Nowi-like characters make me want to punch a wall. In fact, why not have a huge, ugly, and butch man be a manakete once, if we have to have them in the game? Spice things up!

In all seriousness, I know these characters have their fans (like every type does), so I'm fine with there being one or two, but I don't want too many.

No more second seals. I want units to feel unique, not be able to do pretty much whatever with enough grinding. I'd really prefer if there was no grinding at all actually.

Seeing that pair up is back, I think it needs to be fixed in some way but I'm not really sure how. What I really dislike about it is how it turns half of your units into accessories that you just equip on to another unit to buff them and make them a super-unit. I think the best way to remedy this would be to remove the "equipment" like aspect of it. Have the enemy be able to choose which of your units it wants to attack, so putting your cleric or archer on a melee unit will not make them invulnerable. Essentially pair up will just become the ability to have multiple units occupy the same space and give a bonus.

More variety in map objectives would be great. Since it seems they're going with a theme of choice, it seems possible there will be a risk vs. reward dynamic. Maybe you can only recruit one out of two characters on the map, or have a choice between attacking or defending.

Return of magic triangle. With that reveal of the bows advantage and disadvantage, it seems like they're willing to reintroduce some of the complexity that they took out for Awakening.

Finally, if children return (and who are we kidding they will return, players loved the kids and marriage), I'd like to have the kids integrated into the standard gameplay better. I was really frustrated that I had to go out of my way to grind some of the kids you receive later to use them normally in the campaign. Make them an appropriate level for the place where they're obtained. Even better would be employing a time skip where the first generation is removed entirely.

Edited by Vitezen