About Greil's death...

Did anyone see it coming, or were you completely shocked? And did it get any emotion out of you? Not necessarily shedding actual tears, feeling sad counts.

I remember finding out it would happen beforehand because I'm good at finding spoilers whether I want to or not...and I think I got a little choked up. Because let's face it: the sad music is there for a reason. That and poor Ike dragging him back to the fort...telling him to save his strength, and then poof, he's gone. I can't imagine watching a parent die like that, would suck big time.

Maybe I'm just a bawlbaby/softie...but meh. Just curious how everyone else reacted.

I had already read about it so I wasn't exactly shocked, but still the animated scene is so brutal and sad when you watch it.

On a slight tangent, I don't really understand Black Knight at all. The guy who kills Greil in PoR is so evil and sadistic about it, but then in RD they try to pass him off as some tragic/pseudo-honorable character.

Didn't really shock me. I didn't spoil myself but I saw it coming.

It was too early in the game for me to really get attached to him. The worst I reacted was probably just a :[ face.

I had already read about it so I wasn't exactly shocked, but still the animated scene is so brutal and sad when you watch it.

On a slight tangent, I don't really understand Black Knight at all. The guy who kills Greil in PoR is so evil and sadistic about it, but then in RD they try to pass him off as some tragic/pseudo-honorable character.

First statement: This.

Second statement: Well in PoR he's an enemy entirely, in RD he's on the same side as the player for a bit. Might have something to do with it...

I saw something like it coming, simply because most FE games consist of the lord's parent or parent-figure dying at some point in the game. I knew it wouldn't last.

This is true. Actually, it's a cliche in a lot of stories/games.

Edited by Dragoncat

It shocked me, because PoR was my first game, so I didn't know about the trend of the lord's parents dying. I teared up too, because I felt bad for Ike who I'd already taking a great liking to. :(

Even if it is a trend, it was done more...idk what word I'm looking for, than in previous FEs. For example, in Sacred Stones when Erika and Ephriam's dad dies, there's no buildup or anything. Just "your father didn't survive the attack on Renais, sorry." We never see him interacting with them the way Greil did with Ike. There's no reason anyone would be sad. Now if the story started before the initial attack, it might be different... Lyn's parents are gone before anything else happens in Blazing Sword. Eliwood's dad dies but I didn't get that far because I didn't have my own copy and had to borrow one from a friend.

Being in 3d might be part of the reason, but the main part is just what I said.

Seeing Greil die like that was almost on the same level as watching Mufasa die. I mean here he is this hero of untold strength a thing of legend and he is suddenly bested rather quickly by an all powerful person. The build up is what made it sad seeing Ike interact with him throughout the story and him mentor and teach him and being a genuinely great parent. The music and the flashback to Ike training as a kid with him did not help at all. That being said I think they kinda alluded to it heavily in the chapter before so it wasn't too suprising (also I had played Radiant Dawn before hand but thats besides the point) but it still was sad.

It was too early in the game for me to really get attached to him.

Same. I was neutral about Greil and didn't like Ike, so that scene did nothing for me. Mist and Titania reacting to Greil's death, though, made me a bit sad. Their reaction was just well written and resonated with me.

I wasn't shocked, and I definitely didn't have any sort of emotional reaction. Even ignoring Fire Emblem's tendency to kill of its heroes' parents, it's usually a good indication that something is going to happen when an important character like Greil is constantly acting off-screen instead of participating in battle with the player-controlled characters.

I'm not a very emotional person to begin with, so it's extremely hard for me to be saddened by something I know isn't real.

Seeing Greil die like that was almost on the same level as watching Mufasa die.

YES! I'm not the only one who compares this to Lion King!

I'm tempted to draw a fanart about that...Ike as Simba, Greil as Mufasa, BK as Scar...

But people will probably think I'm crazy.

Path of radiance being my first fire emblem i didnt see it coming. However i also skipped cutscenes so yeah i didnt know it happened for a while XD

Why on earth would you ever want to skip cutscenes on your first playthrough? You're missing like a lot of the story that way.

Some people don't like the story in Fire Emblem. It's like that. Why do you think FEA's plot is what it is ? Which is very sad when you think about it. But, it's their game, they can do whatever they want with it.

Personally ? At the time I was surprised, but nothing more, I'm not the kind of guy who cry for a videogame character, even though I was just a kid back then. And I feel kind of dumb, I mean duh, it was obvious they weren't going to keep Greil, he's not the hero and he was way too powerful.

For me, It's not so much that it was surprising, it's that they just did it right.

Greil had an impact, he had a past, a subtle backstory, with relationships with other characters, there was a build up.

And dat drama that come just after it, and dat battle ! I actualy felt vulnerable, trapped by all the ennemies ! Which is again kind of dumb since it was obvious that you couldn't lose, but the difficulty of the level and the 'Survive X turns', gave me that impression, it was the first PoR chapter where I had to retry. A lot.

Though to be fair, Greil was a bit too much of a stoic, but who cares ?

I was tempted to do some trolling about FEA along the way

Seriously it's not like with Emmeryn where the only thing they did is to put a repetitive sad music.

Oh wait.

Edited by B.Leu