So I was digging about, certainly not just a simple google search and found that the word Kamui relates to Ainu(native-native japanese) Gods/deities. While there are a few Kamui that could possible represent the one we see in fire emblem, we don't get to know much about him. Other than he is naive. However remembering the translation of his/her sword 'Night Blade God' this seems to be the intention of the naming.

Although I have a bit of a bizarre theory I want to tack onto this. So one of the Kamui that is listed on Wikipedia is called Nusakoro Kamui, the god of the dead and community. Now I believe in the video when we see Max(or Marx) take down that thing, it seems like a Risen to me, judging by the sound it makes (I hear a dying Risen at least). So if our prince is supposed to be Nusakoro (or something similar), perhaps he is bringing(most likely unintentionally) them to this world.

Granted this is all just conjecture and mad guessing, but it's just a possible thought.

Interesting theory. Not sure if the risen monster is summoned by Kamui, but I would like to think the name has a certain plot relevance (even if it's the stock name)

Isn't Kamui just another Rufure?

There's a great analysis/breakdown by a resident of this community somewhere which proves the existence of a customizable Avatar self-insert.

Kamui being an Avatar doesn't stop him from having plot relevance outside of his knowledge (like Robin unknowingly being Grima)

Is it safe to assume this game will have customizable protagonist in some form? If so, I felt Robin was FAR too neutral in terms of character. I would appreciate if Kamui had a more distinct personality. Though the emphasis on choice in this game eerily reminds me of Bioware...

My speculation is that "Kamui" will be a Lord that is customizable in the same way My Units were in previous FEs.

One thing, though, kinda struck me as odd regarding the name... it's distinctly Asian in nature, yet most of the scenes featuring Kamui appear to have been from the perspective of the "West" so far, including being woken up by English-style maids in a manner that would appear to be an opening cutscene. I wonder if this was done intentionally for plot reasons?