Better Names for FE4?

Lord Raven

I don't know if Genealogy of the Holy War is a transliteration of some sort of Seisen No Keifu, but I think we can all agree that sounds kinda awkward and long. I think game titles should have more brevity? It just doesn't flow.

I feel like something like "Bloodlines" would work, but I dunno I always think of Castlevania when I hear that. Of course, dondon just suggested "Descent of Jihad" which is... an interesting take.

The only real sticking point for me is Genealogy.

Something like Chronicles of the Crusade captures the feel much more succinctly in my opinion, with bonus alliteration, although it loses a bit in the way of the subtle hint.

Edit: Maybe even Crusader Chronicles, if you want to get rid of the prepositional phrase.

2nd Edit: The more I think about it, the more I'm liking Crusader Chronicles, actually. I'm pretty surprised.

Edited by Balcerzak

Game of (Seizing) Thrones.

Crusader Chronicles is concise and punchy, definitely the name to go with if it or a remake was ever officially translated. (Edit: Unfortunately it's already in use.)

Though I think the long, awkward name fits FE4 much better. :]

Edited by Baldrick

i once saw it rendered by a russian resource site as "ancestral crusade", and i quite like that. not enough to particularly care about calling it anything other than "genealogy of the holy war", but nevertheless...

in essence

connotations matter bro :P

i once saw it rendered by a russian resource site as "ancestral crusade",

i am a fan of this, op, or something similarly punchy

connotations matter bro :P

Not disregarding its validity, just saying it doesn't only mean "holy war". It was originally defined as "spiritual struggle", but it has been taken to be a word more associated with religious war.

Anyway, I still think it could be used in a newer title of FE4, but I also like the name Genealogy of the Holy War.

Edited by DragonLord

Descent of Jihad isn't something anyone here made up, it's what it was called in an old issue of Nintendo Power.

And personally I wouldn't like to see it changed. I think Genealogy of Holy War is a great name. Makes it sound large in scale and perfectly characterizes what the game is about...Well I guess it doesn't indicate the presence of the political machinations but I don't think you could get a title that includes that along with the generational and holy themes. The only problem with Genealogy of Holy War in my mind is that I keep forgetting the second E in Genealogy but I have spell check to correct that. It's also the official translation as of Awakening but I guess that is subjective to change.

Edited by Jotari

It was originally defined as "spiritual struggle",

fortunately or unfortunately depending on your position, welcome to the evolution of language since this literally doesn't matter anymore; if your target audience is (say) americans, it might not be a good idea to use the word jihad in your product title because the only thing that really matters is how your target audience interprets it.

crusade is, as far as we americans are concerned, basically the same word but it doesn't carry most of the same negative connotations in american society.

I say call it

"Fire Emblem: The Main Character Dies Halfway Through"

No, call it

"Of Dragons and Men". George shoots Lennie- I mean, Arvis incinerates Sigurd.

[/sarcasm]

I don't speak or read Japanese, so I probably don't know what I'm talking about, but could "seisen" be translated as "crusader" as well as "crusade"? Because "Fire Emblem: Descent of Crusaders" or "Fire Emblem: Crusaders' Bloodlines" could be cool.

Edited by Rovan

I don't think it's awkard or long, it's both memorable and a perfect translation of the Japanese original. It's precise too, as it captures the main themes of the games far better than something like "Crusaders' Bloodlines" or "Crusaders' Chronicles" would.

It's important to note that the game is not as concerned about events (Chronology) as it is about the people involved in them (Genealogy). The focus is not on the Holy War, but on the people that were, are and will be shaped by it. It's about how Serlis is bound to follow the steps of his father, just like his father was bound to follow those of his forefathers. The historical aspect is a driver for the personal side, which I think is pretty integral to Fire Emblem as a series.

There are also some issues with Chronology or Crusaders since they are refer to different things in the context of the game (Judgral Chronology, Sigurd is not a crusader, etc.) and they sound awfully clichéd, IMHO.

honestly, my main issue with the title is the fact that "holy war" has negative connotations in the west due to the crusades and and jihads motivated for religious reasons. maybe something like "genealogy of conflict" or "genealogy of heroes" would work better?

Edited by sirmola