what I want: no children because I can't imagine a way to include them in a way that is different from both FE4 and FE13

what will happen: considering the title there's a good chance the future and therefore children are involved, but provably not by time travelling

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's pretty safe to say that children will be back. This game really seems to be Awakening with a new coat of paint. They're trying to include everything about Awakening that people liked while making some subtle tweaks to improve it further. I couldn't see them removing a hugely popular feature just because that wouldn't be original.

I honestly don't think children will return. I think that will be kept to Awakening. If they do come back, though...just make the romance better, even if just a little.

I'd rather kids just be DLC if they had to be included. Give them a whole Future Past type deal with them as the playable characters. The chances of well written romances when they are mass produced to make children characters are low...

If they make something like a time gap a la FE4, I'd be fine with children. Otherwise, no. They were pretty cool in Awakening, but they would also break the game(MU!Nah of Chrom!Cynthia are exemples of this). A lack of children would also mean more original characters different than the ones we get at the start of the game.

I'd rather they ditch the idea of having children, unless they do the FE4 two generations approach. That being said, I'm hoping Awakening didn't make children a staple in the series. The explanation was already awful, time travel? Really? It only ruins the story even more.

Edited by DragonLord

eh, I can't see kids coming back right after Awakening brought the concept back. If they did, they'd probably have to find some other way to do it because the time travel aspect was fine, but you can't repeat the same overall plot twice.

I'd like the children mechanic to come back it was one of my favorite parts of Awakening. I'm going to be the black sheep of the fandom here and say that I actually liked the time travel stuff in Awakening (then again anything with space time continum, black holes, time paradoxes, and alternate universes I get giddy about). That being said for the sake of keeping things fresh I would prefer it if they did a reasonable time skip say 15-16 years so that the kids could age and be feasibly old enough to fight but not so old that the parents (i.e MU) are using walking sticks as swords. Plus I feel time travel was kinda Awakening's "thing" per se.

Edited by TacoMan42

I wasn't a big fan of them in awakening so it'd be a no for me.

The problem I had is that I'd either end up doing a pairing that I don't really like in order to get the best child out of it or that I do the pairing I want,but end up with a child where I always think "it would have been better if i paired her with someone else"

Nah, not really. I ended up marrying someone else besides Gerome in my first play through because I was impatient, even though I knew about Gerome before getting the game. And then I regretted my choice for the whole play through.
And it felt kind of wrong marrying the son of the father who is apparently canon for Cherche. Even though I married Cherche to Lon'qu in the playthrough I married Gerome.

Jokes aside, they could make a good addition, but then it would just be about which father would be the best stat-wise all over again. And getting something like galeforce for all the mothers who have the pegasus class. And some poor guy like Gerome getting no galeforce :'(.

Its technically time travel albeit more justified since its a separate world, thus grandfather paradox isn't in place. Its actually one of the few instances where time travel makes sense and how events in the story can progress as they do. Hard to say it, but for Awakening's shallow story, it does establish a more legitimate reason for how lucina can change the future of the world without erasing her existence. Time Travel is not one of Awakening's faults.

I don't want children back, just 1 generation supports and the effort that would have gone into children goes to having Base conversations.

I'm totally cool with children as long as they have a justified existence without the bizarreness of Awakening's writing. Also, the abilities system would have to be changed somehow so that the kids aren't so OP.

• 2 weeks later...

Time travel is love! I wouldn't mind that stupidity as long as children return, because they were my second favorite feature (the first being marriage) on FE:A. The parallel storylines is also a cool idea.

And not as in Genealogy where everyone was... that.

Yes, if plot-related. Perhaps change it so the inherited "skills" are not so overwhelmingly powerful, and please make the support conversations less terribly written...

Ditto to the fact that "time traveling" in Awakening was never properly explained and didn't make much sense plot-wise.

Edited by paradiselost999

I liked the children characters in Awakening, and they were my favorite ones to use, but I really with they'd just have more relevance to the plot. As for this game, if they do return I'd hope that they become more significant and also maybe not time travel included. Maybe just skip 15 years or so after a story arc finishes? Maybe make an post-game story where they're more relevant (that isn't DLC)? I mean time travel was cool but it was a little confusing and repetitive.

I really adored the children so I wouldn't mind too much if it returned. I actually do like time-travel because I'm lame like that, but I guess it would be neat if they came up with something else for children.

I really adored the children so I wouldn't mind too much if it returned. I actually do like time-travel because I'm lame like that, but I guess it would be neat if they came up with something else for children.

Maybe like a proper timeskip.. (coughgeneologycough).

I didn't mind the time travel in Awakening too much though, reminded me of my favorite Arc in DBZ lol.

I think it would be cool if they did this the other way around. What if we start with the kids, and depending on their stats and who they support with, they will have different parents later on. And instead of marrying at S support, the kids find out that they are siblings. With each combination making a different combination of parents. And afterwards there could be x chapters to find their parents. Would be less cheesy than quick marriage, even though this does sound a lot like Star Wars.

I would prefer time-travel to skipping, like, twenty years in the future. The old characters would either need new sprites or to be taken out of the game entirely, and I can't have that. Though I did like the wholesome family activities of me, Chrom, and our two children Morgan Lucina, murderkilling the heck out of zombies...I would prefer if S-rank supports returned only for tactical and bonus purposes, as opposed to breeding my units.

So no children.

• 3 weeks later...

Eh, honestly I wouldn't really mind time travel coming back. It might be a little repetitive, not to mention kind of odd to have time travel for the first time in two consecutive games, but some way to have kids without everyone else flat-out dying would be cool. The parallel narratives thing sounds nice, but it's probably not happening.