Did Fire Emblem move in the wrong direction?

Game mechanics  

159 members have voted

1. 1. How important are game mechanics for you in a FE game?

• the most important factor
    • important, but not the decisive factor
    • not important, other factors can equalize it
    • not important at all
    • I don't care.
  2. 2. Which FE game has the best game mechanics?

Adding supports with sub-par execution does not automatically make the game objectively better, haha. I do enjoy a few of them (BelfxSirius, AvatarxArran for istance) but the majority just feel forced/uninspired.

FE12 is my favorite since I've played through it more than any other game in the series, on top of it having (IMO) the best variety in its difficulty settings to date, but I do think that's where things started going awry - at least in regards to the series' narrative elements. Most notable example of this trend being Kris, who is perhaps the absolute worst thing ever.

What little was in FE11's script contributed greatly to the characters, who certainly weren't as fleshed out in 1/3B1 (okay, they're not particularly fleshed out in FE11 either, but certainly more than in 1 ffs). Book 2 was already a vast improvement in the narrative department when compared to Book 1, but FE12 didn't really add much to that - in many cases, it was even detrimental. That's how I'd describe the difference between 11/12, at least.

Edited by Topazd

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Personally I think Radiant Dawn had the best mechanics. It just felt perfect for me. Problem is, the game was all over the place and there was never a solid point where you could chill out with 1 team for more than 6-7 chapters, besides the first part. I'd like to go back to a simplistic story with a whole new background, as Awakening felt the need to force itself as a distant Akaneia sequel. In regards to mechanics, I'd like to see the magic triangle back for sure. I'm not too concerned with the split class system for mages, but a magic split would be good, like in Path of Radiance. I also feel the need to have playable soldiers back, as well as split classes for the cavalier and armour soldiers.