• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've never found Wrys particularly appealing as a character, and I don't understand why lots of people seem to love him so much.

I dunno about FE12, but in every other game he's just a bad unit who gets overshadowed in a span of two chapters. Whoopee.

To each their own, I suppose, but....I don't think I'll ever understand the popularity of this particular character.

People can become infamous for their meekness too.

The video game Spelunker is also a meme in Japan because the protagonist is pathetically weak.

Also I didn't make this but I still think its related to this thread:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HSuJE98_iw

Edited by Ike-Mike

People can become infamous for their meekness too.

That's true.

Vyland is also pretty popular in Japan as well, most likely because he resembles the "yaranaika guy".

The reason behind all this focus is on Wrys is that he in general, and his recruitment line in particular, are something of a meme in the Japanese fandom. So yeah, this is a case of a meme being acknowledged.

I'd imagine part of why he's a memetic character is because he's both the first healer and the first optional-to-recruit character in the entire Fire Emblem series. Although that's just from an outsider's perspective, so...

Also, characters don't have to be good in terms of gameplay to be liked, so that's also worth keeping in mind.

As for the bald head models, not only Wrys, but also Darros, Wendell, Boah, Dolph and Macellan use them, too.

• 2 weeks later...

Same reason Batta the Beast was kind of meme here I think, it's the first real character dialogue you get in the game making him more memorable.

I managed to get a Wrys level-up with an actual stat in FE1.

I swear I didn't hack.

It would be even more impressive if you did that with Bantu or Jagen :D

He has an HP growth that is better than both of them's!

Edited by The Dark Armorknight