Hey guys! As many of you know, a very important mechanic in FE5 and FE3 Book 2 is the ability to actively influence the growth rates of units by having them carry crusader scrolls (or star shards in FE3's case). If exploited, this mechanic can turn units with moderate or even bad growth rates to actually useful units. However, whenever I find myself playing either FE5 or FE3, I tend to forget the exact base growths of most of my units and/or the exact bonuses granted by items (especially some that influence multiple stat growths), therefore having to look them up. This is more evident in FE5's case where the inventory has 7 available slots, therefore allowing for more complex combinations of scrolls. Furthermore, the way that crusader scrolls function may not be immediately obvious to those new to the game.

So this gave me the idea of building a tool that would automate these computations and would also allow any user to keep track of these computations easily, without having to lookup or even remember anything. It's nothing too fancy really, just some html, css and a bit of javascript coding that gets the job done. Please allow me to demonstrate.

Let's pick Marty (the man whom Dagda loved) as our test subject:

meRk7PS.png

Upon selection, the calculator displays an output that consists of three parts:

• the character's modified growths,
  • the character's chances to cap each stat and
  • his average stats (many thanks to Sara. for suggesting this addition).

Modified Growths:

The first part details the unit's modified growth rates under the specified set of crusader scrolls. Of course, if you select no scrolls, what you'll see is simply the unit's base growths.

Zst47Ta.png

Regarding the displayed data, the unit's starting class is also shown along with his growth rates, in case someone wants to compare between units of the same class. Now, as it becomes instantly obvious, his Str, Skl and Spd are downright horrible and should be tampered if we want him to have a fighting chance. Let's load his inventory with a bunch of scrolls:

7HvzYji.png

Whenever a new scroll is added or removed, the output table changes appropriately to reflect his current growth rates. In order to be able to instantly tell which growths have been modified and in what way, growth rates that have been increased are colored green, while growth rates that have been decreased are colored red. Additionally, you are able to view the bonus modifiers granted by each individual scroll by simply having your mouse cursor hover above it. That way, there's no need to remember the exact bonuses granted by each scroll when planning your strategy. If the user wishes to view a summary of the exact bonuses on any particular stat, he can again hover his mouse over the corresponding cell of the output table.

2PKtrHU.png

Finally, if a growth rate becomes negative due to the effect of crusader scrolls, the calculator treats it as zero (please see: http://old.serenesforest.net/general/growth.html for details). This is shown below for Marty's Mag when he's equipped with the Noba scroll.

Wn87FWR.png

Chances to Cap:

The second part of the output details the character's likelihood to cap each of his respective stats. This is similar to the "Chance to Cap" data listed in the Path of Radiance section of serenesforest (see: http://serenesforest.net/path-of-radiance/characters/chance-to-cap/). Furthermore, as far as I'm aware, no such data are currently listed for Thracia 776, so this calculator might as well provide you with a fast way for computing those.

1bSiabS.png

What's more, these chances will automatically change as you change the equipped scrolls.

yTe5mcj.png

Notice that since we're capable of instantly tracking how the "chances to cap" change for each stat, it is somewhat easier to determine which combination will benefit your units most (based on what scrolls you possess and what you aim to do).

Average stats:

The last part of the output consists of a series of tables containing estimates for the character's average stats, for a specified set of crusader scrolls. Of course, the very first row contains the selected character's base stats.

Qv6dqXa.png

Stats that have reached their respective caps, will be distinguished by flashing like this:

ElKhQQ5.gif

Similarly to the previous tables, the average stats tables are also updated everytime you either select a different character or change scrolls in the inventory. For a different set of scrolls, Marty's predicted average stats become:

DiYzhGB.png

Promotion gains can also be viewed instantly by hovering your mouse above a cell containing a stat name for each promotion (starting class is excluded). The next image shows this for Marty's Str when promoting to a Warrior.

GdrWEfR.png

Of course, if the inventory doesn't contain any scrolls, the average stats displayed will be identical to the ones found here:

http://serenesforest.net/thracia-776/characters/average-stats/

Here's an example of this using Evayle:

3hMVlX7.png

gs4FrOQ.png

What do you guys think? Would it be of any interest/use to the community? Any suggestions are welcome.

The application can be downloaded from GitHub:

https://github.com/Sharpshooter23/FE5-Growth-Rate-Calculator

Feel free to play around with it or to read through its source code.

Edited by Sharpshooter23

It looks good!

Any thoughts in building a projected stats-by-growth chart? Something with the intent of seeing the average stats by a certain level based on the currently equipped scrolls, I mean

It looks good!

Any thoughts in building a projected stats-by-growth chart? Something with the intent of seeing the average stats by a certain level based on the currently equipped scrolls, I mean

Hello Sara. and thanks for your feedback.

If my understanding is correct, you mean like an extension of the charts found here:

http://serenesforest.net/thracia-776/characters/average-stats/

except a user would be able to select a character and a combination of equiped scrolls from a form similar to the one in the above images. Correct?

If so, then I suppose a minor tweak to the formula featured in the above link from:

level x rate to level x (rate + bonuses)

for each stat would do the trick (some extra data regarding the characters would also need to be stored). That said, it shouldn't be too hard to implement, or even to incorporate in the current build.

Edited by Sharpshooter23

Thanks guys! Alright, then let me try adding charts for average stats as you suggested and we'll see how it goes. I'll update the thread when I've got something new to show. In the meantime, feel free to let me know of any thoughts or suggestions on this project.

Edited by Sharpshooter23

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys! Sorry for the delay. I've been a bit busy lately, so I didn't have as much free time to work on the project. Besides that, I wanted to rethink certain parts of the application (eg: underlying data structures) to handle all character cases (yes, I'm looking at you Lara) and also try out a few more things to make it look less plain. So, briefly what's new:

• Average stat tables for the modified growths have now been added.
  • Promotion gains can also be viewed.
  • Character and scroll names are now displayed sorted for convenience.
  • Lookups should now be faster.
  • A few visual changes to make the interface look a bit better.

For more details, I've edited the first post with images reflecting the updated version of the calculator and added a few more examples showcasing the average stat tables. The code on GitHub has also been updated. I'm also thinking of making a similar calculator for FE3.

Edited by Sharpshooter23

• 1 month later...

Hey there guys! I've made a couple of updates to the application.

• The calculator will now additionally display how likely each stat will cap. I got the idea for this from here: http://serenesforest.../chance-to-cap/ and thought it would be nice to add this in as well. Indeed, this along with the average stat tables could prove useful when planning your units eg: because you want to know if it's worth investing a stat booster on him/her or if you can afford forfeiting a certain amount of stat X's growth in favor of stat Y's growth and still turning your unit into a complete monster.
  • Also fixed a few issues that arose from floating point arithmetic.
Edited by Sharpshooter23

Been playing around with this, and it's awesome. If you're still interested in fiddling with this the only things I can think of to improve are make it so the slots won't allow the same scroll to be selected twice instead and making the info message pop up a little more quickly. I'm not especially familiar with html, so I don't know if those would be easily implemented, and I imagine they aren't since you didn't already.

But yeah, it's just fricking awesome. Thanks for your hard work.

Edited by bottlegnomes

Been playing around with this, and it's awesome. If you're still interested in fiddling with this the only things I can think of to improve are make it so the slots won't allow the same scroll to be selected twice instead and making the info message pop up a little more quickly. I'm not especially familiar with html, so I don't know if those would be easily implemented, and I imagine they aren't since you didn't already.

But yeah, it's just fricking awesome. Thanks for your hard work.

Thanks again for your feedback bottlegnomes. You do bring up some pretty good points for improvement. Indeed, modifying the code so that scroll availability changes according to what you've already selected has been on my mind for a while, so I might as well do it with the next version. Now, I'm not entirely sure if I can do something about the speed in which tooltips pop up since I recall reading that it's dependent on the browser you're using. There may still be a way to fix this though (eg: if I implement a custom tooltip component), so I'll further look into it. Another downside I've been thinking of fixing is to give you - the user - the ability to input your selected unit's current level and stats and to display averages and chances to cap accordingly (defaults would be the starting level and base stats), which hopefully makes things a bit more flexible (obviously, one can't expect to have the same scroll configuration bound to a specific unit until he reaches level 20 promoted; I for one, trade them around quite a lot to benefit other units as well).

My pleasure. Thank you checking. :)