Gaming backlog--where do I start, and how do you deal with it?

DodgeDusk

I got a couple of games bought but not completed, and I think it's about time I started lowering my gaming backlog. I know gaming should be a leisure and not an obligation, but I like to get most out of whatever I buy

Anyways, the list is:

• Dragon's Dogma
  • Fallout New Vegas (just the DLC; I've finished the main game many times)
  • Far Cry 3
  • Ni no Kuni
  • Bayonetta 1+2
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity
  • Mario and Luigi: Dream Team Bros
  • Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
  • The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons and Ages
  • Devil Survivor Overclocked

I think that's it. So, any recommendations? I should mention these ended up being in my backlog either out of lack of interest whilst playing, or started playing something else, and eventually lost the motivation to go back to them

Also, I'm wondering how you guys deal with something like this. Do you force yourself, not bother with them, or wait until you actually want to play them?

Edited by DodgeDusk

I've heard Dream Team is a really good game, same thing with Overclocked. Though I recommend playing a game that is almost complete.

As for dealing with it, I usually stop playing it, until I feel free to play it again. Mainly because of boredom, and then being able to pick it up, or just being able to want to continue that game.

Gates to Infinity is pretty bad compared to the other Mystery Dungeon games...I woudln't recommend it.

Anyway, I just play whatever I feel like at the time. Sometimes I never finish some games, because I completely forget about them. xD

Bayonetta 1 and 2 are really fun and don't take too much time and I really like Devil Survivor Overcloked. OoA and Oos are OK but the dancing parts are at least for me very hard and where I stopped playing them.

I kind of have a backlog myself at the moment. I got sidetracked playing a lot of FE:A last summer/autumn as fell quite a bit behind as a result. This isn't the first time it's happened, nor the last. Sometimes I force myself to play certain games, but I tend to find that such a mindset diminishes my enjoyment, so I've learned to just play games as I feel like it. The other games that I have will still be there when I want them.

As far as your specific list goes, I haven't played most of them, but the LoZ Oracle games are amazing and not particularly time consuming either.

I would say play one until you get bored, then come back to it later after playing another game. No need to burn yourself out.

Edit: Far Cry 3 was pretty good. I'd do that one

Edited by Sorin

Considering majority of the games you listed are all RPGs, those will take a really long time. I recommend blitzing Bayonetta as fast as possible considering that's the shortest in terms of game length out of the ones you listed.

I've got a different take on this - what was the game you beat the most recently? Find a game that contrasts that and play it.

For instance I beat FF13-2, then something like Red Dead Redemption, then Tales of Graces f, then Drakengard 3 (this is actually a work in progress because fuck fuck fuck the final boss), then The Simpsons game, and now I am working through Tales of Hearts R. It's kept every game fresh to me because I'm not playing the same genre 5 times in a row.

Edited by Lord Raven

Lord Raven has good advice. Although, I sometimes find it fun to overdose in one genre. The only game I've played in your list is Dream Team. It's fun, but it has some pacing issues.

My personal backlog strategy is as follows:
1. Completely ignore backlog and play whatever shiny new game you just bought. (If you find Nights: Journey of Dreams for $2 at GameStop, BUY IT.)
2. Get bored eventually. Perhaps during the annual Summer Game Drought. You'll need some free time for this.
3. Find all your games that aren't completed, and stack em' up. (Stacking doesn't work with digital titles.)
4. Marvel at your stack, at how many games you really have left to play.
5. Using some algorithm, shuffle your stack randomly. Or not.
6. Clear the stack, one game at a time. Don't start the next until you're finished with the first.
7. Enjoy your games. If you don't, they probably weren't great to begin with.

Edited by Zera

Thanks for all the advice, guys

I've got a different take on this - what was the game you beat the most recently? Find a game that contrasts that and play it.

Honestly, I can't remember what it was. I've almost finished Persona Q, though, so the opposite to that would probably be either Far Cry 3 or the Bayonetta games. I'll finish that, and try to move onto one of those games.

My personal backlog strategy is as follows:

1. Completely ignore backlog and play whatever shiny new game you just bought. (If you find Nights: Journey of Dreams for $2 at GameStop, BUY IT.)

2. Get bored eventually. Perhaps during the annual Summer Game Drought. You'll need some free time for this.

3. Find all your games that aren't completed, and stack em' up. (Stacking doesn't work with digital titles.)

4. Marvel at your stack, at how many games you really have left to play.

5. Using some algorithm, shuffle your stack randomly. Or not.

6. Clear the stack, one game at a time. Don't start the next until you're finished with the first.

7. Enjoy your games. If you don't, they probably weren't great to begin with.

This was amusing to read. Thanks

Yeah I've been collecting recently so I of course have games I haven't touched. As far as recommendations for clearing the backlog. Don't start with RPG's as they take alot of times and you will get addicted. Action games are always a good start (Bayonetta 1 and 2 are phenomenal titles) since they don't take long to complete on easy difficulties and you can always revist them later. Alternatively, what Zera stated is actually a good way of doing it provided you have physical copies.

I recommend clearing Bayonetta 1 and 2, the games are pretty enjoyable and straight forward, it is fast to clear too and has nice replay value.

I tend to not have so much gaming backlog or to-clear games, I don't like having games in stock without being cleared but funnily, my brother bought a bunch of titles (3D World, Mario/Luigi Bros. U, Zombie U, MH3U) and I have like no intention on clearing them because it was mostly compulsory purchases, although I might clear 3D World, but that is really unlikely since I'm completing Bayonetta 1 and 2 and haven't started Smash U, so rip 3D World.