Anyone else disappointed they decided to use the Awakening engine?

darkkfan

Let me begin by saying I am very excited for this game. The whole West vs. East thing looks very cool and as a long time fan of the series a new fire emblem game will never be a bad thing.

That being said, I'm a bit disappointed that the game looks so much like amakening in terms of gameplay and classes. For instance, the cavalier style looks pretty similar to awakening.

Was anyone else hoping for either a new Wii U title or a remake on Wii U? I realize the 3ds is the more successful machine I just figured IS/Nintendo had an oppurtunity to both attempt to revitalize the Wii U while appealing to hardcore fans of the series with something either completely new or something that resembles the early games in terms of gameplay. As interesting as this game looks, I think it would look even better on the Wii U or at least on a different engine/style than awakening.

However, I realize that when it comes down to it, Awakening made a lot of money and from a business perspective it would be foolish to change a formula that makes money. I know there isn't much info out and its possible many characters are placeholders but at least for me this pretty much confirms the next fire emblem will go in the direction of Awakening instead of Radiant Dawn or any of the earlier games (which were my personal favorites).

I was just kind of wishing the next FE wouldn't just be Awakening 2.0 in terms of gameplay mechanics, although as I've said I like that they've switched up classes. I was just hoping there would be more of a return to the series' roots (or alternatively something with brand new gameplay).

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reusing the same engine on the same console minimizes effort and ensures that everyone who bought and liked Awakening has the chance to play the new game. If they had to rebuild it from scratch we would definitely not be seeing this title in 2015.

I would have liked to see it on the Wii U, but honestly it would have been a terrible choice financially in my opinion.

I know smash bros wii u helped boost the sales of the system. But Fire Emblem is still a rather unknown series and the number of people who own a 3ds over Wii U is probably a very big gap, so I don't think I would be smart right now.

Although I don't really mind that they are using the Awakening engine, as all the models and maps look much nicer and prettier than Awakening ever did. (Plus feet!!)

Reusing the same engine on the same console minimizes effort and ensures that everyone who bought and liked Awakening has the chance to play the new game. If they had to rebuild it from scratch we would definitely not be seeing this title in 2015.

^^^

Edited by Sophie

Fire Emblem is growing more popular and more known, but the sales of the Wii U still need to pick up a bit more. Smash helped with that, and hopefully future Mario, Zelda, and Pokemon titles will too. So I think next time we should get a Wii U Fire Emblem.

I'd love for it to use an updated RD engine. ^^

While I would love a Wii U FE, you have to consider every other FE game has recycled assets, so it's nothing new and unexpected.

FE2 used FE1's engine

BSFE used FE3's engine

FE5 used FE4's engine

FE7 and 8 used FE6's engine

FE10 used FE9's engine

FE12 used FE11's engine

Also, as mentioned, from a developer's standpoint, reusing assets saves a LOT of money.

It's pretty common for FE games on the same system to reuse the engine of the previous game on the same system, so I'm not exactly surprised that this game looks to be doing the same. I guess I'm a little dissapointed, but honestly I can't say it was likely to be any other way. :/

Edit: Vincent, you ninja! *shakes fist*

Edited by shinpichu

This franchise isn't ready to go back to consoles. Not after nearly dying off. I'm very happy they used awakening's engine and some of its assets, they can tweak things much easier and focus on new systems and refine their work much like with Majora's mask and Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon. The game already looks nicer (especially the backgrounds) than Awakening as it isn't a early 3ds game.

No, it's perfectly fine for the game since it was developed with the 3DS in mind. Plus SMT x FE is on the Wii U anyway with Atlus working alongside them. You'll get your shiny FE eventually. Besides, FE's never really been impacted THAT much by hardware due to the nature of the series' mechanics. And considering how good Intelligent Systems is at bypassing hardware issues (heck, they design ALL of Nintendo development tools) I doubt this is going to be a retread. Especially with all people have seen from dissecting the trailer over and over

I don't mind this as much but I would prefer an improvement in the graphics or a change in the system. Hopefully they added some new animations.

One improvement imo would be instead of just hitting an opponent once, when two units attack they clash swords/axes/spears a couple times and then depending on the stats and etc. after fighting for a bit the opponent with superior stats would attack. Than after another clash the opposing side would counter attack and then the battle ends. Both sides still take damage depending on stats and etc. but it looks cooler and feels more like a clash between two warriors

It'd make it look more realistic imo and to be honest I got bored of the combat animations of Awakening after my 3rd play through.

I was expecting this though. Intelligent Systems doesn't often change the game play system.

While I'd love a Wii U FE, the series is just more suited to handheld play. It doesn't have the kind of graphical or engine requirements that some home console games do.

As for using the Awakening engine, it's there and ready and re-using some existing assets lets them focus more on other things, so I see no reason to be disappointed with it.

I don't mind reusing engine. I only hope the game is fundamentally better. Awakening was very generic, uninspired, crap map design and narrative, and overall very underwhelming. It felt like a game from another developer.

I really hope things improve, not stay in the same mudhole.

I actually really liked Awakening's visuals and engine, it's just many of the amour designs that disappointed me, but this game looks like it's improving. If the engine allows for, or can be modified to have, more types of objectives, then no, I'm not disappointed.

Using the same engine for graphics gives them the chance to expand upon/improve in other areas, including adding details that Awakening didn't have (feet).

I'd rather have them focus on gameplay and story then throw out a perfectly fine engine after only one game.

Typically, the series will utilize the same engine for two games, three as far as the GameBoy Advance titles are concerned. It's not surprising that they're using the same engine for the second game on the 3DS.

What is surprising is that the characters have feet. I assume Intelligent Systems learned how best to optimize their game on the 3DS to allow feet and the transitions from map to battle in real time. Probably runs at a higher framerate than Awakening too.

What is surprising is that the characters have feet. I assume Intelligent Systems learned how best to optimize their game on the 3DS to allow feet and the transitions from map to battle in real time. Probably runs at a higher framerate than Awakening too.

Oh god I hope so. 3D on, battles could stutter as low as 15-20fps. In the rainy map, a flying unit turned the game into a slideshow.

I think the engine is fine as it is as long as they change a few of the bad character designs i.e the knights/general and maybe tweak the hero class looking more like it did before with a normal shield (or none at all).

I'd love it if the Hero class took on a Rangerish look like Ike. At least add a cape to it.

Honestly when the game is done, I doubt it'll be as similar to Awakening as it appears. A little bit, yes, but not so much that you can't tell them apart. Most things are, as you said, probably just placeholders and will be changed over time. As for the Wii U thing, I don't think going in that direction would have been a good idea, since the series on handhelds is just fine. Along with that, putting it on the 3DS isn't as risky financially, since the Wii U hasn't been doing so great.

Yeah, Ike was always the best looking Hero, in more ways than one, imo. <3

Although, if more Heroes got capes and headbands, they might look a bit too much like him...

Yeah I would say forsake the headbands and now that I think of it get rid of the little ring around the neck. Capes are fine just make them different colors. Get rid of the armshield and either have a classic shield (FE7) or don't have one at all. Plate armor can stay or go.