Anyone else disappointed they decided to use the Awakening engine?

darkkfan

Yeah, Ike was always the best looking Hero, in more ways than one, imo. <3

Although, if more Heroes got capes and headbands, they might look a bit too much like him...

I see your logic but I'd at least want the main characters to have the option of a headband. It's just too badass

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It saves a lot of time and effort to re-use the same engine. I mean, of course their going to tweak it a bit here and there and IMO the Awakening engine is a good base for any future 3ds FE games.

Edited by Monado Boy

From the designe'rs perspective, it is best to re-use the same engine, because it's already there, you just need to change things and test them with whatever they might want to try as a new thing, it just wouldn't be possible to change or build a completely new one; now, the good part of this is, they can work on editing the actual 3D models, textures, and make them look even better and add their feets perhaps lol In the end, it's a work that has already been made and spares them time that hopefully will be used on improving on other areas of the game.

And I agree with those saying that the Hero class needs to be updated in their looks and design XD though not sure how haha

I wanted my HD Fire Emblem. I didn't get it.

To do that they'd need to release it on the Wii U which is a risky move for IS provided the lower install base and higher development costs. I'd rather them continue to get some notoriety and keep putting themselves on the map so that they can someday do that confidently.

Remember, IS did expand they could very well have a Wii U Fire Emblem in the works. If they do it likely won't be mentioned until after the release of SMT X Fire Emblem (Since I assume that will be after If's release). The 3ds is where the core fan base is, it's where most RPG fans really are these days so it makes sense to keep the series mostly on the primary place where people want to play it. Graphics don't matter in FE at all to me, I would love if they just keep using sprites. What they threw in works and if it means they saved time and are able to make an even better game since they don't need to use dev time to work on a new engine then awesome.

I think it depends on how well Xenoblade Chronicles X sells here. If it sold well, that would indicate there were enough Western WIi U owners that would be interested in JRPGs now for it to be feasible. Same thing goes for the East.

Hopefully the character models will include feet this time. That's my only real complaint about FE13's engine.

Well, that and the Heroes' shields. I liked the way they looked in the GBA and DS games much better. I'm also partial to Raven's and Linus' coats, and I'd like to see more Heroes wearing something like that.

Edited by Paper Jam

I really like Awakening's engine and I expected them to reuse it, so I don't mind. I don't generally dislike the class designs, either. It looks like they've tweaked and updated some things, and if the GBA trio is anything to go by I don't think they'll really be that limited if they want some major changes. Sacred Stones is a lot different than Binding Blade after all. So I'm optimistic about it.

It only makes sense to use Awakening's engine. It saves development costs, and they already have a huge fanbase that loves Awakening too. I don't mind at all, I look forward to any additions they make to the engine. Plus, feet.

Edited by DragonLord

If this game utilizes the Awakening engine and made levels half as good as Thracia 776 did with Genealogy's engine, then consider me satisfied dumbfounded because it's hard to imagine Nintendo being able to design levels that can be considered above sub-par what with Awakening's very existence satisfied all the same.

If anything, I'm disappointed that since it'll be the Awakening engine, the some of the characters will have the same exact outfit as its same class when the second seal thing is used.

But then I realized that it's because of the online mode, perhaps. I kind of wish they did some sort of recolor for each character, or something, though. Maybe it'd take long, but still...

If anything, I'm disappointed that since it'll be the Awakening engine, the some of the characters will have the same exact outfit as its same class when the second seal thing is used.

But then I realized that it's because of the online mode, perhaps. I kind of wish they did some sort of recolor for each character, or something, though. Maybe it'd take long, but still...

That isn't an engine issue, it's the dev team didn't make those assets issue.

Disappointed? Yes. I didn't like Awakening's engine, the maps, unit sprites, etc. At least the characters I've seen so far look good or passable. I'm not disappointed about reusing a recent game's engine because of how many resources it saves (time, cost, development, etc.) but yeah I'm not a fan of awakening's layout.

I'm not disappointed that they used the same engine, as long as that translates to more content. There have been good and bad examples of reusing engines:

Persona 4 used the same engine as its predecessor and it was amazing.

Kotor 2 reused 1's engine, and it was a disaster.

It all depends on the game.

FE12 was based on FE11 and it's far, far more amazing. Similarly, FE7 and FE8 introduced class skills that FE6 lacked.

I do hope that FE14 will beat FE13, at least in some aspects. At least we do know that it's graphically superior.

I agree with nocturnal. FE 12 made huge improvements on FE 11, largely because it felt like the developers were more comfortable with the engine. Reusing an engine generally gives developers more room to experiment, although if they reuse to much, it can be a huge problem.

Overall, I think that reusing the engine will be good, because I believe they'll be able to do more graphically that they couldn't previously, specifically in terms of cut away backgrounds. In awakening, they had a large number of backgrounds that only got used in one or two levels, and then a bunch that got used in 15 or 16 different levels. I'd like to see more detailed backgrounds, and more variety within the same basic locations.

That isn't an engine issue, it's the dev team didn't make those assets issue.

For me its kind of indicative of how they are going to focus the game. I know it doesn't definitively mean they won't improve anything, but it seems like it means the chance of getting customized models/classes is lower and the chance of getting pair up (which is pretty much confirmed at this point), and second seal reclassing for example are higher. I know those are their own arguments (and they each have their own threads right now), but i just think people like myself who were looking for a lot of things done differently will be disappointed that their probably won't be as many changes as there would have been if they had used an entirely different engine.

By customized models for reclasses, you mean each character would get a custom for every class in their set, yes?

If they made a new engine there would be even less of a chance of that happening, as they would then be putting more time/resources towards building an engine. Especially since Awakening already supports custom models by class, it's just not used for anything other than base classes, aside from a handful of characters that got texture recolors.

Edited by L95