Naive to expect JPN Version to have dual language?

HeartTranquil

As in they're asking if importing the JP version and it will have English text. No, not likely, at least in my opinion. This isn't pokemon.

Awakening JP did not have English... voices or text. English Awakening even had a voice option for each gender of MU cut.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Not likely. I think FEA had both languages (at least the english version) but given that its being released for Japan first that likely means that the localization will not be done before then and will take place afterwards (hence the later worldwide release).

I don't think Nintendo does this kind of thing with most of their games, especially not with something not as mainstream as Mario, Zelda, Pokemon.

Not likely. I think FEA had both languages (at least the english version) but given that its being released for Japan first that likely means that the localization will not be done before then and will take place afterwards (hence the later worldwide release).

I think the OP means text as well, not just voices.

I don't think Nintendo does this kind of thing with most of their games, especially not with something not as mainstream as Mario, Zelda, Pokemon.

Depends. Days of Ruin shipped with several languages on it and locked the user out of choosing them (even a full Japanese script was in the game, and the game didn't even get released in Japan until years later as a download title). Smash Bros. 3DS also has English localization included in the Japanese version, and Dragon Quest IV DS had an in-progress localization left on the Japanese version that you could hack or use a cheatcode to enable.

It depends on when localization is approved.

Tell that to Bravely Default. JP version had both English and Japanese text and voices on JP release. Yet wasn't.

If it was the Japanese doing the translation then I could understand why the developers wouldn't use their English translation overseas.

If it was the Japanese doing the translation then I could understand why the developers wouldn't use their English translation overseas.

Dude, it was the same script. Word for word.

The cast's professional English voice acting for overseas was done.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I could only see this happening if the game somehow got a worldwide simultaneous release. And even then, it's very possible they wouldn't bother.

I dunno. Nintendo has been pushing for simultaneous or relatively quick release after an announcement, in all region where possible. A lot more than previous Nintendo generations, at least. In-house and outsource localization has been happening earlier in development. 8-4, who handled the US localization of Awakening, has apparently been working on a new game that they cannot discuss.

• 4 weeks later...

Tell that to Bravely Default. JP version had both English and Japanese text and voices on JP release. Yet wasn't.

Actually not really.

Bravely Default has two JP versions. The original version had no English.

When they decided to localize it they made a bunch of improvements to the game like new difficulty options the ability to speed up battle graphical updates new scenarios etc, they released this improved version in Japan and it included the new localized text and voice options. But it came out within a month of the international release.

I hope a Japanese-voice option comes back for FE14. 8U I hated a lot of the Awakening English voices, so if something similar happens to FE14's cast, I wouldn't want to be stuck with horrible dubs.

And this isn't a "weeb GLORIOUS NIPPON" thing. When I say I hate the English voices, I mean I dislike how different they are from the Japanese one. Like Japanese Olivia compared to English Olivia, the biggest example, where the former is very cute, but the later is out-of-character and louder. Or Japanese Inigo compared to English Inigo, where the former is soft-spoken yet funny, but the latter is terribly deep and ugh. Dubs need to match the voice of the character they're dubbing. Like English Chrom or English Gaius, both seem to match their Japanese counterpart in terms of voice, at least to my ears. Their dubs are good.

If FE14 can have good AND matching dubs for all their characters, I wouldn't mind. But no way do I want to be stuck with another English Inigo. (I am terrible at explaining how I feel...)

Since it is proven that 3DS games can be hacked now, perhaps some of the more ambitious ROM hackers can put together an English fan translation of the game, similar what was done with the Pokemon games (pre-Gen. 6)? In the case that FE14(15) gets released in Japan first, of course.

In all seriousness, it is rather naive to think, let alone expect, that the original JP game to have multiple voice options.