Sleep

Psych

YMGYuNv.png

Therin leads you to the Royal Research Academy, the premier school of all things arcane and obscure. It is here where the best and brightest minds of the kingdom gather to blah blah blah. You start tuning Therin out on his tour, but continue following him inside nonetheless.

boUK4hr.png

The main vestibule seems busy with students and teachers alike, and Therin asks to take a quick moment to check his old bed in the dormitory to the right, before continuing on.

LtFkkfF.png

You wait near the entrance while Therin heads over to his bed. He pulls out a book and quickly skims through it.

ZUcoT4T.png

It appears Therin has learned the Growth spell. This should allow him to grow vines and brambles to attack enemies. It should also allow him to summon vines to scale walls and cliffs in a more utilitarian use.

IlzIBoH.png

Therin leads you deeper into the academy. He mentions his tutor Professor Hoel can usually be found in the Grand Library. He seems nervous about meeting him, but insists his discovery is very important. You ask him what's up the stairs, but he doesn't give you a straight answer. "That's the Restricted section. Only Elder professors are allowed up there, and only the Head Professor is allowed on the level above that.

OWbq7aK.png

Inside the library you find Professor Hoel, though it seems empty for a Grand Library. "Ah Therin, I was expecting your return. I presume you're here about your research." Hoel says, noticing the two of you enter.

"Ah, I...uh, yes."

"I do believe you were instructed not to continue that line of research, and you went against Academy orders, did you not?" Hoel's tone is not a pleasant one, though he does not appear upset for some reason.

You wonder what he's talking about. "What does he mean Therin?"

"You see, my experiment....was actually forbidden. All my research, all that time....I was doing it in secret." He solemnly tells you.

"That's right. But I knew you would succeed. I knew you did as a matter of fact. Come, it's time I reveal something to you." Hoel says, exiting the library with the two of you in tow.

dcvVTVH.png

Hoel leads you two up the stairs into the Restricted section, and continues up to the top floor. 8 torches of different colors are arranged in the room and Hoel stands in the center before he addresses you. "You see my boy, what you've discovered, was due to me."

"What do you mean Professor? I did magic! Our school is devoted to research and theory, and all we do is study magical artifacts. No one knows the slightest bit of practice!" Therin exclaims, not understanding.

"That is what we say. But it is not the truth. You see, there are still those who were alive before magic disappeared."

Hoel's sentence is cut off by the sound of some explosion. An ominous voice fills your head, deafening even your own thoughts. "Hoel, I knew you were too bold to act against me directly. But I suppose I will be the one to make the first move."

1oYVpY7.png

The room fills with a blue light beneath Hoel. It appears as if he is almost dissolving, as though he was flowing sand. Before he disappears, he looks straight into Therin's eyes. "Find the Witch!"

A blinding flash fills the room, and when you regain vision it is just the two of you in the room.

KSxwnLh.png

"Fire!" You hear a scream. "Fire! There's a fire!" The girl behind you shouts at you to leave the school, and Therin grabs your arm and leads you down the stairs, but you think you see tears in your eyes.

The pink flame has gone out.

3druBNh.png

You run downstairs, the room filled with flame and heat. Therin doesn't say anything, but you can see his emotions in his eyes. "All the research here, gone." He whispers, not thinking you hear him, but you do.

hnj5hsl.png

Outside, the Academy has gone up in flames. You're still in shock over all that's happened. "Soldiers?!" Therin yells, snapping you out of it. "And that's the Queen! What's she doing here?"

"So you're the troublemaker. Or should I be thanking you. It doesn't matter. Guards, get them!" She commands, point at you. The guards advance. With the school in flames, there isn't anywhere to run, till you hear a shout from the sky. "Grab on, unless you two have somewhere better to be!" The witch grabs the two of you onto her broom, lifting you out of here and flying back towards the woods.

azBMYUO.png

"Magnus wake up." You hear Therin above you, and are gently nudged awake by him. It seems that you fell asleep after the events at the Academy. You wake up in some sort of shack that feels a bit cramped with 4 people in it. The girl from earlier is here too.

"Is he up? We really must get going." The woman near the door booms. Her entire being seems to fill the room with a sense of dread, as if something just isn't right.

tMvPx73.png

"Okay granny, I think he's up." The girl says, as you hop out of bed.

"Very good, then I shall begin." She starts. "Hello Magnus, I am Elaine, the Witch of the Woods. My granddaughter here is just my apprentice at the moment. Your friend has been filling me in on what happened to you, and it seems I will need to explain the situation. I think I'll start from the beginning."

f6ct0a1.png

"Long ago, magic still existed in the world. Mages were treasured and applauded for their achievements. But magic was used for more than academia. Mages worked side by side with soldiers. Powerful mages could wipe out whole armies with the wave of their hand. In time, wars were fought over mages and their power. Storms raged and fires devastated battlefields. Eventually, people realized they didn't need mages in order to use the power magic held."

HwW8jBE.png

"Weapons were built to use magic. But these weapons drained the natural magic of the earth. Crops failed, soil turned barren, and the sky grew darker. These weapons were draining life from the planet, and we knew it must be stopped, before magic destroyed us all. My allies and I were some of the strongest mages in the world, and so we took it upon ourselves to fix this travesty."

ELKTwOK.pngIhJbCdd.pnguBRr4ly.pngnycn1bO.png

"Nimue, Siren of the Sea.....Clarissant, the Forgemistress.....Nantres, King of the Skies.....Tryamon, Faerie of the Sands"

rodj1l0.pngwlhLgih.pngC8tChWH.pngfwV9e1p.png

"Hoel, the Stormcaller.....Isolde, the Hoarfrost Regent.....Brandelis, Lord of the Swamp.....and I, Elaine, the Witch of the Woods."

"It was the eight of us who took this burden upon ourselves. We sealed magic away thousands of years ago. In fact, we eight are the only true mages left alive. Our magic is what has kept us alive for so long. We stand watching, making sure no one dare attempt to to relive the destruction magic had wrought."

Yjdhb4v.png

"But the Queen has other intentions. You see, she is not what she appears. In the days before we sealed magic away, she was there, as our enemy. She has powers much like ours, but Avalon is not human. She is....something different. I believe that she seeks to bring magic back to the world, for her own intentions this time. We had thought she had disappeared as we had not felt her presence in some time, but it appears she had come back some years ago in disguise, when the King was remarried. Much like us, she can change her appearance, so be wary. I am sure she has cast some spell in order to hold control over her knights and the King."

8AdrWnx.png

"I'm afraid you three will have to stop her. While magic may be sealed, we eight are able to enchant trinkets and objects of the like. When someone else posses a trinket, they are given the ability to use magic. It is how my granddaughter is so capable at her age. But I need you three to seek out my companions. I am not sure how, but I fear Avalon has discovered our secret. Hoel oversaw the Flames of Knowledge. These flames are kept forever burning by our lifeforce. While we do not die from aging, if one of us was to die, the flame would extinguish and weaken our seal on magic, and I fear that is Avalon's goal. Her powers are unlike those we have seen. They appear almost celestial, and seem to warp the fabric of time.

"While your adventure may be exciting it is not without risk. My spell on these woods should keep me hidden from Avalon, but I sense another who has one of our trinkets. You must speak to the princess before you leave to see the sages."

Elaine looks at her granddaughter. "Now dear, you must go with these two. I knew something like this would come, and I've prepared you the best I can." She turns to the two boys. "Do you two have any questions before I send you out?"

Edited by Psych