Hold on, are wyverns actually dragons?

Captain Karnage

Hello every one, I'm getting confused in the lore of the series regarding wyverns. Now from my knowledge of the series aren't dragons trying to take over the world or are extinct in certain sagas. Then how can these wyverns exist, they have almost all of the qualities of dragons but still exist while their brethren are gone.

Also are they related to the manakete and dragon laguz

personally i believe all of the games take place on the same planet (which is probably my source of confusion)

(btw I'm new to the forums so forgive any of my mistakes)

It's not exactly accurate to say that dragons are trying to take over the world or extinct. It's more like they were once the dominant species before their race went into decline.

I don't know if there was any official confirmation of a relationship between wyverns and other dragons like manaketes and laguz, but I would imagine they may be related in the same way the various species of canines are related. And as for how they can exist while the other dragons have died out... well, why wouldn't they? Modern cattle continue to exist long after their ancestor, the aurochs, went extinct.

Edited by Starman

I've often wondered about this relathionship as well. In PoR, Ashnard uses some sort of drug to make a dragon laguz (Ena's mate) stay transformed and used him as a mount. So I guess its not infeasable for them to be one in the same? Then again wyverns seem to be just that without any indication that they are transformed from human's/manaketes/laguz.

I'm not so sure the flying dragons of Archanea are the same thing as wyverns. Flying dragons breath fire, and, in New Mystery at least, look noticeably different. It's also worth noting that Medon, the country most closely associated with wyverns, is located quite a ways away from the home of flying dragons.

Edited by Starman

Oh, yeah, they do look different in New Mystery.

Why does the translation call them wyverns? .-.

The narration in chapter 3 of FE12 says Iote tamed the wyverns idk (Maybe it means... other wyverns...?)

and in dialogue these tamed wyvern mounts are still explicitly referred to as "wyverns" in the Japanese version, spelled the same way as the wild wyverns of Mystery of the Emblem.

I don't know anymore ;-;

Edited by L95

If you are talking about the difference in the FE games, I'm not sure.

In normal pop culture, though, wyverns usually only have two legs and two wings, while dragons have four legs and two wings. Wyverns may also have hands/claws on their wings that they use to walk around on. Dragons may have some breath attack, but wyverns generally do not.

when wild wyverns debuted in fe3, their sprites looked identical to those of the tamed ones used by dracoknights; compare this to this. i'd chalk the significantly different appearances in fe12 up to the developers just forgetting, rather than an attempt to retcon the "actual dragon wyverns became dracoknight mounts" thing. it helps that the ds dracoknight sprites, and thus the mount they use, were designed in fe11, well before the wild wyverns has theirs done for fe12, so it makes a fair amount of sense that this sort of thing would slip through the cracks

Wait, I thought it was just the international localisations that called them Wyvern? In fact, the last few games before Awakening did call them Dragon Knights. So Wyverns aren't actually a thing when it comes to the relationship between sentient dragons and dragons used as mounts.

Edited by BrightBow

Wait, I thought it was just the international localisations that called them Wyvern? In fact, the last few games before Awakening did call them Dragon Knights. So Wyverns aren't actually a thing when it comes to the relationship between sentient dragons and dragons used as mounts.

nope, definitely not. both the wild wyverns and the mounts have, from the beginning, been consistently referred to in japanese as "飛竜", which literally means "flying dragon" but is often used as a word for the european concept of wyverns. in the case of wyvern mounts, this is acknowledged very clearly both in dialogue (for example, vaida's supports in fe7 or cormag's in fe8) and in help descriptions. regardless of what the classes themselves are called or the physical differences, the japanese games do make it clear that the mounts are, in fact, wyverns

in fe6 and 7 it was simple because wyverns were the ones people could mount like horses, and dragons were the ones that were big scary final bosses with ?? health

then in fe8 they added an actual wyvern...which is kinda confusing but at least now the only dragons other than the mounts were the people who turn into dragons, and the dragon zombies which had like no plot relevance.

Wyverns, at least in my headcanon, do have a breath ability. They spit acid. Not technically a "breath" but still. Also, they're two legged. Many FE games depict them as having arms, which I used to prefer, but now I prefer them without.

They could be related to dragons kinda like humans and apes. Instead of becoming manaketes, they were domesticated. At least outside of Tellius, the dragons there had human forms from the beginning. And Rajaion was victim to the same drug invented by Izuka, the feral potion, which he tried to use on Muarim in RD. He was that way so long that when the herons tried to save him with the galdr of rebirth, it worked for a second, but then he died. Don't ask me how Ashnard managed to get a mindless killing machine to be his mount...

Wyverns, at least in my headcanon, do have a breath ability. They spit acid. Not technically a "breath" but still. Also, they're two legged. Many FE games depict them as having arms, which I used to prefer, but now I prefer them without.

They could be related to dragons kinda like humans and apes. Instead of becoming manaketes, they were domesticated. At least outside of Tellius, the dragons there had human forms from the beginning. And Rajaion was victim to the same drug invented by Izuka, the feral potion, which he tried to use on Muarim in RD. He was that way so long that when the herons tried to save him with the galdr of rebirth, it worked for a second, but then he died. Don't ask me how Ashnard managed to get a mindless killing machine to be his mount...

Well they breath fire in Fire Emblem. Or at least so it seems

http://youtu.be/qkh6HMcNDc0?t=11m44s

Wyvern riders are weak vs wyrmslayer (and divine weapons). FE12!wyverns have the same breath as fire dragons and are weak vs wyrmslayer. The DSFE Version of Wyvern Lord (though no wyrmslayer weakness) has the name dracoknight, where the draco implies that the mount is a dragon

TLDR: Wyverns are dragons