When will we next hear about Fire Emblem: if? What type of information will we hear?

Irony

When and What will we hear information about FIre Emblem:if  

87 members have voted

1. 1. When do you think we will next hear information about Fire Emblem: if

• Next week
    • Next Month
    • Before E3
    • At E3
    • After E3
    • Other (place in comments)
  2. 2. What type of information will we hear?

• Character information.
    • Plot information.
    • Class information
    • Mechanics information.
    • Voice Actor information.
    • Other (voice in comments)
  3. 3. How will Nintendo reveal information to us?

• Nintendo Direct
    • E3 Presentation
    • Interview
    • A Website of some sort
    • Other (voice in comments)

So, let's speculate on when Nintendo and Intelligent Systems will tell us more about Fire Emblem:if.

Personally, I think that we will next hear before E3 in a Nintendo direct. I think that we will hear information about:

Characters- We will be introduced to other characters that appear in the game, and we will find out more about the characters shown in the Nintendo direct trailer.

Story- The name of the world(s) where the story is set. Maybe we will be shown more plot important characters and cutscenes that reveal more of the plot.

Music- We might get to listen to more of the Game's music. :)

So, what do you guys think?

(PS- I made this topic as I have seen that everyone was speculating on if's content and I decided that I wanted to speculate in a different way...)

Edited by GoldenEmblem7

Considering that the game is coming out in Japan in the Summer, by the time E3 rolls around there should have been plenty of information released. I personally support the theory that we'll get a special Fire Emblem Direct sometime around the 25th anniversary of FE1's release (mid to late April) where they'll talk about the new game and maybe even SMTXFE.

All I want to know is the unnamed dancer's name.

A Fire Emblem direct would be fitting for that occasion, considering how it can't be really considered a niche series anymore.

A Fire Emble Direct is something I hadn't thought of, but it's unlikely. Any game-focused Direct typically shows about a month-month and a half before release, and they are typically viewed internationally, unless the game was Japan-exclusive. I only see a Direct for this game at the 25th anniversary under two conditions.

a. The game is close to release in Japan (late May at the latest)

b. The international release is not that far behind (end of June at the latest)

If it was that close to it's release, they wouldn't have any qualms on releasing a lot on info on the game. But if it's not infact that close to release, a Fire Emblem Direct would need other things to fill some time. If they decided to finally show SMT x FE, at most what we are going to get is a trailer, and maybe Iwata or the director giving some info on the game. Still not a lot of info. To make it Fire Emblem exclusive, they would need at least one more thing to make it worthwhile, like maybe a Fire Emblem 3D/HD compilation of the Tellius games. It would probably be easy for Monster Games (the people behind the DKC:R and Xenoblade ports on 3DS) to port the games if it was necessary.

Still something like that is still unlikely though I wouldn't mind being wrong. I think what is more likely to happen is a general Nintendo Direct around that time, Iwata will mention that it's the 25th anniversary of Fire Emblem, and go on to give us more information on Fire Emblem if, and maybe narrow down a release window for the game (and a release date for Japan).

I'm sure we will hear something about it within the next two months, and hopefully by next month. I think we will definitely hear more about new mechanics. I doubt we will hear about new characters, except maybe a little introduction to 1 or 2 important ones, like the dancer or Max. Probably nothing about the plot, since it's still too early in my opinion.

To make it Fire Emblem exclusive, they would need at least one more thing to make it worthwhile, like maybe a Fire Emblem 3D/HD compilation of the Tellius games. It would probably be easy for Monster Games (the people behind the DKC:R and Xenoblade ports on 3DS) to port the games if it was necessary.

Why Tellius specifically? FE9 was one of the worst sellers in the series, with 156,000 units in Japan, it's only potential contention off the top of my head being FE5 (whose figures I can't find, but given that it was released so long after the SNES gave way to the N64, I wouldn't doubt it). There's also the fact that both games are overseas, meaning that I would imagine 2-6 would have a tad more priority.

FE10 still feels new and it's being reprinted for god knows whatever reason, so I'm not seeing a remake anytime soon.

I think we will hear something around the E3 timeframe. The game is being released in Japan in the summer and E3 is around that timeframe so most if not all the game will be done by then. That way Nintendo could reveal pretty much anything they want about the game.

It would be cool to see something like a "Fire Emblem Direct" I was thinking of that since the latest Nintendo Direct and I still think it should happen. They did it with Mario Kart 8, they did it with Smash 4, so it's not outside the realm of possibilities to see an FE Direct. Except that it's not as popular as those games so they may not bother, but who knows?

Edited by Rxmonste

Why Tellius specifically? FE9 was one of the worst sellers in the series

Um, Ike is still in Smash? This year also marks the 10th anniversary of PoR? And FE is getting better marketing and has more fans than it did back then? Also, PoR was released at the end of the GC's lifespan. I wouldn't have expected it to sell well either given that and the series that it was a part of.

I hope for an FE Direct that talks about this game, SMT x FE, and a possible Tellius bundle for download too. These games need to become more accessible for new fans of the series who likely want to play them.

Edited by Anacybele

Um, Ike is still in Smash? This year also marks the 10th anniversary of PoR? And FE is getting better marketing and has more fans than it did back then? Also, PoR was released at the end of the GC's lifespan. I wouldn't have expected it to sell well either given that and the series that it was a part of.

From a business perspective, only two of those really would the money flow(AKA the reason for the game). And then you can't forget that most new fans only interaction with Ike is either Smash or being a rather insignificant part of DLC for Awakening. Those games are preeeetty different from Awakening. Still, I won't knock the possibility. Keep our minds open, right?

Yeah, I say the next Direct. Though, didn't Awakening have like 3 trailers each showcasing something different?

Thing is, I've heard many people say that they want to play Ike's games, but are having trouble getting them. Making them downloadable on the eShop would solve that problem.

And honestly, I don't see how Tellius is too different from Awakening for Awakening fans to enjoy. It's still Fire Emblem, just with a few more game mechanics and a lack of pair-up, marriage system, and Avatars.

Also, Tellius is getting soundtrack CDs. Apparently Nintendo has SOME faith in these two games.

Edited by Anacybele

I think we'll get a Japanese teaser site either before the end of this month or in February. Will just be basic details, and eventually get another update or two before Japan's release.

Don't think we'll get launch info abroad until e3. They'll probably show off a bunch of bundles and stuff, then.

I hope for an FE Direct that talks about this game, SMT x FE, and a possible Tellius bundle for download too. These games need to become more accessible for new fans of the series who likely want to play them.

These are more or less the reasons I see for there being a rerelease for the Tellius games. In some way or another, every other game in the franchise is readily available on modern systems.

FE1 (Japan only)- 3DS, Wii U

FE2 (Japan only)- 3DS, Wii U

FE3 (Japan only)- Wii U

FE4 (Japan only)- Wii U

FE5 (Japan only)- Wii U

FE6 (Japan only)- Wii U

FE7- Wii U

FE8- 3DS (Ambassadors only), Wii U (Japan and Europe right now, NA later)

FE9- N/A

FE10- Wii U (playable through Wii Menu)

FE11- 3DS (DS game)

FE12 (Japan only)- 3DS (DS game)

FE13- 3DS

See the pattern? Right now, Path of Radiance is the only game that has no way of being played on current gen systems. And since there is no sign of a Gamecube Virtual Console, the best option is to port the game over to either 3DS or Wii U. And since Radiant Dawn is a sequel, it only makes sense to bring it as well.

These are more or less the reasons I see for there being a rerelease for the Tellius games. In some way or another, every other game in the franchise is readily available on modern systems.

FE1 (Japan only)- 3DS, Wii U

FE2 (Japan only)- 3DS, Wii U

FE3 (Japan only)- Wii U

FE4 (Japan only)- Wii U

FE5 (Japan only)- Wii U

FE6 (Japan only)- Wii U

FE7- Wii U

FE8- 3DS (Ambassadors only), Wii U (Japan and Europe right now, NA later)

FE9- N/A

FE10- Wii U (playable through Wii Menu)

FE11- 3DS (DS game)

FE12 (Japan only)- 3DS (DS game)

FE13- 3DS

See the pattern? Right now, Path of Radiance is the only game that has no way of being played on current gen systems. And since there is no sign of a Gamecube Virtual Console, the best option is to port the game over to either 3DS or Wii U. And since Radiant Dawn is a sequel, it only makes sense to bring it as well.

Half the series is still Japan only. That does not include the Tellius games.

Radiant Dawn is getting reprinted. That alone discredits a remake in my eyes.

I don't see a 20 years of FE2 remake, a 15 years of FE4 remake, or a 10 years of FE6 remake, etc.

Yeah, I'm biased, but I'd say giving the unlocalized games a chance at localization seems more likely over a rerelease of FE9.

Edited by Glaceon Sage

I don't see a 20 years of FE2 remake, a 15 years of FE4 remake, or a 10 years of FE6 remake, etc.

Yeah, I'm biased, but I'd say giving the unlocalized games a chance at localization seems more likely over a rerelease of FE9.

FE didn't have the attention then that it does now. Doing those remakes at the time would've been too risky. IS has a safer position to work in now. Also, FE7's 10th anniversary was also the Year of Luigi, and that would have overshadowed it completely.

Besides, IS already remade FE1 and FE3, so that's a LOT of remakes to do without pumping out a brand new game or two as well.

Also, I don't think only Tellius should get another chance anyway. This is a good opportunity to re-market the remaining FEs that never made it overseas too! New Mystery of the Emblem, FE2, FE4, FE5, and FE6.

Edited by Anacybele

Half the series is still Japan only. That does not include the Tellius games.

Radiant Dawn is getting reprinted. That alone discredits a remake in my eyes.

IS would need to be convinced of the viability of remaking those past games, first. A port would take considerably less effort, and it wouldn't necessarily need to be made by IS (like Monster Games like I mentioned earlier).

Also, even though Radiant Dawn received a reprint, it's still only playable on the Wii or Wii U. The Wii U's install base is pretty small right now, so there aren't going to be a lot of people to play it. A PoR remake right now, if they were to port it, would likely show up on the 3DS, and it would make sense to have Radiant Dawn join it, so that everyone that plays PoR can also play RD.

A combined port for the two games would also be easier, since they could streamline the models for most characters (characters like Boyd and Mia's tier 2 models in PoR are drastically different from their RD tier models).

FE2 would need a massive overhaul before they could remake, because the way the game is now is very bare bones. They would need to make the story at least somewhat interesting, and readjust the gameplay to work with the model of the other games.

FE4, while popular, has a much darker storyline compared to other Fire Emblem games. They would need to figure out how to rework the storyline in a way that could be accepted by the international audience. Plus, the maps are incredibly long. True, you can save at practically any time you want, but looking at it, I'm see it being remade for the 3DS if it was. This would mean IS would use the Awakening engine for the game. And right now, I don't think the engine is set to hold the massive maps that FE4 is known for. So they would also need to readjust every individual chapter, and split it into multiple chapters, adding on more work.

FE6 is really the only area I can agree with you on. But it exists on the Wii U Virtual Console in Japan. IS might not feel any serious urgency to remake the game (this logic could also apply to FE2 and FE4, as well). Plus, Roy hasn't had any real relevance since Melee, so that lowers the chances further. They might see a need for a remake next gen, but not now.

Edited by Shadow Stalker X

What type of information will we hear?

How about "release window" information?

Plus, Roy hasn't had any real relevance since Melee, so that lowers the chances further. They might see a need for a remake next gen, but not now.

Fire Emblem lacked any relevance in Western markets before Melee released. Know what gave it relevance? Releasing Melee. Know what made it relevant? Nintendo released it. Know what would make Roy relevant? You tell me.

Edited by Kysafen

Also, even though Radiant Dawn received a reprint, it's still only playable on the Wii or Wii U. The Wii U's install base is pretty small right now, so there aren't going to be a lot of people to play it. A PoR remake right now, if they were to port it, would likely show up on the 3DS, and it would make sense to have Radiant Dawn join it, so that everyone that plays PoR can also play RD.

I hope not, I want Tellius to be brought to the Wii U. The Wii U will pick up more sales in time with Zelda Wii U and such on the way. Mario Kart 8 and Smash has started helping it do so, and it will only continue to sell more and more over time.

FE didn't have the attention then that it does now. Doing those remakes at the time would've been too risky. IS has a safer position to work in now. Also, FE7's 10th anniversary was also the Year of Luigi, and that would have overshadowed it completely.

Besides, IS already remade FE1 and FE3, so that's a LOT of remakes to do without pumping out a brand new game or two as well.

Also, I don't think only Tellius should get another chance anyway. This is a good opportunity to re-market the remaining FEs that never made it overseas too! New Mystery of the Emblem, FE2, FE4, FE5, and FE6.

Fair enough.

IS would need to be convinced of the viability of remaking those past games, first. A port would take considerably less effort, and it wouldn't necessarily need to be made by IS (like Monster Games like I mentioned earlier).

A combined port for the two games would also be easier, since they could streamline the models for most characters (characters like Boyd and Mia's tier 2 models in PoR are drastically different from their RD tier models).

FE2 would need a massive overhaul before they could remake, because the way the game is now is very bare bones. They would need to make the story at least somewhat interesting, and readjust the gameplay to work with the model of the other games.

FE4, while popular, has a much darker storyline compared to other Fire Emblem games. They would need to figure out how to rework the storyline in a way that could be accepted by the international audience. Plus, the maps are incredibly long. True, you can save at practically any time you want, but looking at it, I'm see it being remade for the 3DS if it was. This would mean IS would use the Awakening engine for the game. And right now, I don't think the engine is set to hold the massive maps that FE4 is known for. So they would also need to readjust every individual chapter, and split it into multiple chapters, adding on more work.

FE6 is really the only area I can agree with you on. But it exists on the Wii U Virtual Console in Japan. IS might not feel any serious urgency to remake the game (this logic could also apply to FE2 and FE4, as well). Plus, Roy hasn't had any real relevance since Melee, so that lowers the chances further. They might see a need for a remake next gen, but not now.

> Keeping FE9's models.

Heh.

FE2 needs a remake because of its datedness. Its UI is awful, even on Virtual Console, it isn't accessible to people who are used to Combat Forecast, shown movement range, etc. I'd keep FE2's unique mechanics, like cast from HP and the World Map, but give it a "pretty-ing" so to speak. It's also worth noting its plot is a LOT like FE10 part 4. So idk how much IS cares about that.

FE4 is something I kinda want to bring FE to Wii U... slim chance, but eh.

FE6, I feel, kinda wants the remake partially because of SSB. To my knowledge, Roy and Lucas are at present the only "Japan Only" playable characters in the series. It's also worth noting way back when we got the SMT x FE trailer, Roy and Lilina were there, but the FE2/4/5 casts... weren't. So I would give the game a bit more credit.

Fire Emblem lacked any relevance in Western markets before Melee released. Know what gave it relevance? Releasing Melee. Know what made it relevant? Nintendo released it. Know what would make Roy relevant? You tell me.

The only reason Roy even existed in Melee was to act as an advertisement for Sword of Seals. I remember hearing that in the time period leading up to Melee's release, Nintendo had intended to cut Marth and Roy from the Western release, and they only remained in due to fan outcry. As far as I can see, this led Nintendo to see the potential of releasing Fire Emblem games in the West.

Sword of Seals was an incredibly difficult game, with a bare-bones tutorial that wouldn't have helped Westerners to much learn the game, so they made FE7. Then IS was tasked with FE8 and 9.

Right now, I believe IS has basically forgotten the impact Roy had on the Western audiance due to Melee. I think if Sakurai put Roy into one of the Smash games, either as DLC or a part of the main roster, they might see the need to remake FE6.

I hope not, I want Tellius to be brought to the Wii U. The Wii U will pick up more sales in time with Zelda Wii U and such on the way. Mario Kart 8 and Smash has started helping it do so, and it will only continue to sell more and more over time.

I never denied the possibility of a PoR/RD remake showing up on Wii U (and I would buy it in a heartbeat if it happened), but I'm just being realistic. While the Wii U is gaining hardware sales due to those games, there no chance it'll catch up to the 3DS, so that's where a remake is more likely to go.

Edited by Shadow Stalker X

I never denied the possibility of a PoR/RD remake showing up on Wii U (and I would buy it in a heartbeat if it happened), but I'm just being realistic. While the Wii U is gaining hardware sales due to those games, there no chance it'll catch up to the 3DS, so that's where a remake is more likely to go.

You're right, the 3DS IS still more successful than the Wii U and probably always will be. But we're already getting one FE-related title on the Wii U in the form of SMT x FE, so I think there's an equal chance of PoR/RD re-releases for either one.