Is Fire Emblem the premier SRPG franchise?

Box

52 members have voted

1. 1. Is Fire Emblem the Best SRPG series?

• Yep, Fire Emblem is the best
    • Yep, TearRing/Berwick Saga is the best
    • No [other game] is better
    • I don't know

I don't play a whole bunch of other SRPG games, but I hear from other people that they're a bunch of grindy casual crap. What do you guys think? Is Fire Emblem the best? Or are we the casuals?

And before you say TearRing/Berwick Saga, I'm counting those as FE games because that's not the comparison I'm trying to understand.

i'd say Civ is techically better then FE in terms of how simple it is but at the same time, complexed and it provides alot more ways to play.

Which Civ do you play? I used to play a lot of Civ 4 and I got up to Monarch on it. Civ 5 like messes with my head. I can't figure out any strategy except founding like 3 cities and then doing nothing the rest of the game. Everything else goes horribly.

Then again, Civ's kind of more of a plain strategy game than an SRPG in my view.

I don't think Civ counts cause it's not really an RPG, more of just a turn-based strategy/simulator with some very minor RPG elements that is but one component of a whole bunch of mechanics.

So yeah, I like Fire Emblem, I've become so attached to it, its familiar gameplay and its archetypes, plus it's probably the longest running franchise with the most installments. I've heard FFTactics and XCOM are really good too though.

Edited by Knight

There's a shitton of srpgs that fall under the opposite of casual.

Xcom, Rebelstar, SRW, possibly Civ, Endless Legend, and the like aren't casual

FFT, Pokemon Conquest, Shining Force, and the like fall under the same catagory as FE imo. Fun, but not easy.

and if you're referring to FB games, don't bother. 99.99999999% of them are shit.

There's not even really any comparable SRPGs that have even seen recent releases. For example the Final Fantasy Tactics series hasn't seen a release since 2007.

I think Fire Emblem would stand a good chance regardless but most other SRPGs are dead except Disgaea.

As far as leaning towards strategy as much as, if not more than the RPG aspect, yes.

Awakening has definitely shifted that balance though towards RPG more, so idk. But as a whole, the series consistently has the most credible gameplay in regards to SRPG. At the least, the baseline mechanics are extremely solid, with the only limits being how the games are designed/balanced.

Disgaea's the only other active game these days but I'd consider it more a grid-based sandbox grinder... thing.. than a SRPG. It surely is one of a kind. =p Even La Pucelle, the most minimalistic of that series, is/was sandbox-y.

I see things like FFT and Tactics Ogre being mentioned in these kinds of discussions but I don't see how they compare. I could definitely consider them stronger RPGs but they have fairly standard gameplay.

I voted yes. Its the best in the genre but there's not much competing with it you've got Ogre Tactics and Final Fantasy Tactics Advanced. Other than that I don't know of any others. Civ is an awesome series but I wouldn't consider it an RPG. Its more of a historical fiction strategy simulator.

As far as series go, I'd say FE wins by a long shot. I do enjoy some games (the Devil Survivor games, Valkyria Chronicles, etc.) to a greater extent than many FE games, but when the overall series is concerned, my sentiment stays the same.