Pokkén Tournament DX - Decidueye didn't see that coming

DodgeDusk

As a whole, the Grass I wanted was Lilligant but whatever, I like Sceptile too.

It's a fighting game, so I expect more Fighting types than other types. And I don't care that Infernape is Fire/Fighting, personally. And besides, if the developers are okay with two Hoenn starters, two Fire/Fighting Pokemon shouldn't be a big deal. I do think there should be diverse typings as well as each generation represented, so I would pick Lopunny before Infernape.

How are two completely different Hoenn starters the same as two Fire/Fighting types?

It's obvious they tried to prevent too much type overlap in this game. Having more Fighting types just because it's a fighting game makes no sense. It'd be like barring Rose from Street Fighter because she doesn't really hit people with fists. Type diversity is what the game needs by this point.

I also think advocating for characters because they're from a specific generation is not good. We have primarily Gen I, III, and IV Pokemon, but nowhere does it state that that's a bad thing. Most Gen V and VI especially Pokemon would probably be poor choices.

Greninja is probably not happening, but he'd be completely different from Suicune so I'd still love to play as Greninja. Ash-Greninja would probably be the specific character considering this game's love for alternate forms

but anyone who dislikes shadow mewtwo obviously never played Colo and XD because they were the best and it's great to see some deserved recognition.

• Replies 444
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's still another 8 slots left on the select screen so don't worry about skewness right now.

I'm going to throw out a few predictions for a wish list:

- Ledian. Totally left field choice like Pikachu Libre. Reps Bugs, Flying and Gen 2. Might seem a bit out of place but it learns a lot of physical moves, not to mention one of its abilities is Iron Fist. I could alternatively see Scizor in this spot instead, but I'm very biased towards Ledian.

- Swampert. Not having Swampert with the other two Hoenn starters would be weird as hell, so I can easily see it happening.

- Lopunny. Another biased choice here, but I think it would fit. Reps Normal types as well. Would obviously be this games Chun Li.

- Garchomp. Just feels way too obvious given how popular it is and the fighting style basically writes itself. Also brings two new types.

- Excadrill. I'm picturing a long range zoner here, which is really ironic considering Excadrill's stats. A lot of the Gen 5 candidates are already NPCs in the game so that limits what the options are.

- Zoroark. A bit concerned on it being a bit similar to Weavile, but I think it'd work. Seeing how they incorporate Illusion, if they do, would be interesting.

- Sylveon. Fairy type and Gen 6 rep with a fighting style similar to Suicune. Also brings in the Eevee family and is the only one I could see working (maybe Glaceon but it's more of a stretch)

- Greninja. Lots of Gen 6 Pokes are already NPCs and Gen 6 doesn't have many choices to begin with. Froggy here feels like the most obvious choice with Pika Libre slamming into Hawlucha's chances.
Disclaimer: I'm 100% certain that Bandai doesn't care about repping all of the Gens or types, and especially doesn't care about balancing them equally.

There's still another 8 slots left on the select screen so don't worry about skewness right now.

I'm going to throw out a few predictions for a wish list:

- Ledian. Totally left field choice like Pikachu Libre. Reps Bugs, Flying and Gen 2. Might seem a bit out of place but it learns a lot of physical moves, not to mention one of its abilities is Iron Fist. I could alternatively see Scizor in this spot instead, but I'm very biased towards Ledian.

- Swampert. Not having Swampert with the other two Hoenn starters would be weird as hell, so I can easily see it happening.

- Lopunny. Another biased choice here, but I think it would fit. Reps Normal types as well. Would obviously be this games Chun Li.

- Garchomp. Just feels way too obvious given how popular it is and the fighting style basically writes itself. Also brings two new types.

- Excadrill. I'm picturing a long range zoner here, which is really ironic considering Excadrill's stats. A lot of the Gen 5 candidates are already NPCs in the game so that limits what the options are.

- Zoroark. A bit concerned on it being a bit similar to Weavile, but I think it'd work. Seeing how they incorporate Illusion, if they do, would be interesting.

- Sylveon. Fairy type and Gen 6 rep with a fighting style similar to Suicune. Also brings in the Eevee family and is the only one I could see working (maybe Glaceon but it's more of a stretch)

- Greninja. Lots of Gen 6 Pokes are already NPCs and Gen 6 doesn't have many choices to begin with. Froggy here feels like the most obvious choice with Pika Libre slamming into Hawlucha's chances.
Disclaimer: I'm 100% certain that Bandai doesn't care about repping all of the Gens or types, and especially doesn't care about balancing them equally.

Out of those I see Lopunny, Garchomp, Greninja and Zoroark being the most likely, in my humble opinion.

Ledian over Scizor? I highly doubt that. The rest of that list looks fine to me though.

Hawlucha should've been in over Pika Libre, imo. We don't need two Pikachu on such a small roster.

I really don't have a problem with Pikachu Libre because it's only a clone in terms of model. Every attack and animation is different, so it's not like a Smash clone situation at all.

My Wishlist

Gen 1

Alakazam - This will be an entirely ranged fighter. Uses telekinesis for almost all of it's attacks. Mega Evolves and uses Telekinesis and Psyshock for it's super move.

Snorlax - A beefy tank character. It's super will involve it growing to a ridiculous size and using Body Slam.

Gen 2

Scizor - Bullet Punch. It's super move is a Mega Evolved Fury Cutter.

Gen 3

Breloom - A disruption based fighter. It super move is Spore + Focus Punch.

Milotic - Slithers around and acts graceful. Uses it's tail fan for Whirlpool as it's super.

Deoxys - Basically makes itself.

Gen 4

Garchomp - A close range bruiser. Mega Evolves and uses Dig + Sand Tomb + Dragon Pulse for it's super.

Lopunny - Chun Li Kick Chick

Gen 5

Bisharp - Summons Pawniard minions for most of it's attacks.

Genesect

Gen 6

Chesnaught

Greninja

Tyrantrum - I just really like the idea as playing as a goddamn T-Rex in a fighting game.

Diancie

I really don't have a problem with Pikachu Libre because it's only a clone in terms of model. Every attack and animation is different, so it's not like a Smash clone situation at all.

Doesn't matter to me, it's still another Pikachu and not a different Pokemon all together. I was upset about Dark Pit and Dr. Mario in Smash all the same. Still kind of am, even though I like Dark Pit as a character.

Some Pokken news from serebii:

Pokkén Tournament

Following its reveal during the Nintendo Direct last month in Japan, the first details and image of the Wii U Pokkén Tournament bundle have been revealed. The bundle will sell for 36,800¥ and come with a 32GB Black Wii U Premium Set, a digital downloaded version of Pokkén Tournament, a Shadow Mewtwo amiibo card and a special pamphlet of the Battle Pokémon Action List, a leaflet which showcases all the moves of the Pokémon.

It is also revealed that a special controller is to be released for Pokkén Tournament. It is a wired controller that matches the control of the arcade game and will cost 3,480¥. It'll also release on March 18th 2016. The game is also compatible with the Wii U Pro Controller and the Classic Controller Pro

wiiubundleth.jpg

controllerth.jpg

More controllers dear lord.

Also,

Togekiss, Rotom, Dragonite and Victini confirmed as assist pokemon, and deconfirmed as playable.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/proxy/baFm1SXT6H6NuQC8vWZ8jwd7wvzVjVS0c8VuU3FAyEyP_duD6FzQ_mjXXmuG1yNGGch6Dawf9uDuIYoS6_CkjwtUEvIKkdfP_MIda9BCTva56a2sRY8gbn6z1LHyYAQDKak5UBmlvYJw8NSQZkwg=w654-h225-nc

Edited by Water Mage

Now if only they would remove pikachu libre. Why do they have two pikachu's a single pikachu was already a mistake in my opinion but he's just shoehorned in because he's supposed to be the mascot so whatever. But why put in pikachu Libre instead of hawlucha. To sum up my opinion Pikachu sucks

Some Pokken Event

Pokkén Tournament - Sceptile Event

A new event is to run for Pokkén Tournament machines from December 18th 2015 - December 27th 2015 and then from December 28th to January 11th. This event is a join Christmas and New Year event and provides a variety of bonuses. First, if you manage to get Sceptile up to Level 15 before January 11th., you will get given some clothing for your avatar. In addition to that, if you use a BANA Passport by December 27th you will receive Farfetch'd and Electrode as Support Pokémon and unlock a special Christmas avatar bonus. This ranges from a Christmas hat to Party hats as well as various Christmas player titles. Finally, a special Santa Claus set of costumes will be available when you log in over Christmas week.

sceptileevent.jpg

Source: serebii.net

• 3 weeks later...

So since Player 1 has to use the gamepad, no choice, this instantly makes the game tourney nonviable unless its online as the Pads can interfere with other Wii U's/pads at venues.

Crying shame.

Don't put the cart before the horse just yet.

People have been able to make Competitive Splatoon tournaments work (like that one in Japan with an obscene amount of prize money), and that's a game with no competitive co-op (providing you ignore the shitty co-op mode that no one touches). They needed one console per player and they made it work.

If this community is dedicated enough, they'll figure out how to make it happen.

I don't see Pokken having a large player base to begin with, the main reason they are putting it on the Wii U so soon is that it bombed in the actual arcades. Despite the efforts of some making tournaments

They were originally going to wait awhile.

Edited by Jedi

At the same time though, places hosting Smash 4 tournaments will already have enough Wii Us then. It's not like they'll need more for Pokken then, even if you need one console per player then.

CYKhrtVU0AAqwoB.png

A character will be unveiled on the 15th of this month. The clue this time is that the Pokémon's Japanese name includes the "ラ" character, which is "ra/la"

No list this time. I remember reading somewhere that Hitmontop was rumoured to be in this game. Its Japanese name has "ラ" in its name, so I'm guessing it's going to be Hitmontop

Hitmontop would be hype.

I don't want traditional fighters like Hitmonlee or Hitmonchan because I feel like other Pokemon like Breloom or Mienshao could fill that void if need be. Hitmontop is completely it's own identity. No other Pokemon is a master of Capoira like Hitmontop.

Honestly, with Blaziken, Machamp, Lucario, and the supposed Hitmontop, I feel that the only Fighting-type that would truly be interesting would be Heracross. I could see them playing with moves like Pin Missile and other Skill Link enhanced moves.

Over Hitmonchan? That's once again lame, imo. There won't ever be a Pokemon I'll use in this game other than Suicune. -_-

I know I said I would use Sceptile, but it wasn't going to be a main. So I still don't have enough reason to buy this. Too many awful Pokemon choices, imo.

Over Hitmonchan? That's once again lame, imo. There won't ever be a Pokemon I'll use in this game other than Suicune. -_-

I know I said I would use Sceptile, but it wasn't going to be a main. So I still don't have enough reason to buy this. Too many awful Pokemon choices, imo.

I'm really not getting your meaning that the roster was bad with awful choices.

Did you want this game to be solely Fighting types? Not even Tekken itself has entirely fist/foot fighters.

I'd argue that other than Pikachu Libre (which I like but will concede that Hawlucha is probably better) the roster is completely perfect.

You have:

Pikachu, a beloved mascot.

Mewtwo, Lucario, and Charizard, three of the most beloved Pokemon of all time.

Gengar, the first Ghost and the fan chosen character.

Gardevoir and Sceptile, Pokemon from ORAS who have tons of fans. Both normal fans and ...other fans.

Suicune, the cover legend of Crystal and one of the most popular legends.

Machamp, Weavile, and now Hitmontop, all Pokemon who fit the setting perfectly.

and then Pikachu Libre, who I believe was popular in Korea?

Lack of anything Gen V or VI aside, this roster is pretty great. I think that Delphox would have been cool if not for Charizard and Blaziken taking any Fire niche. Maybe Barbaracle? And for Gen V, fingers crossed for Hydreigon or Haxorus.

Edited by Miss Kira