Biweekly Battle Sprite Showdown, ~'Cause we're Artists! Don't need no Reasons~ (9/9: suggestions?) ideas and discussion thread.

ErrantDShepherd

Battle Sprite Compy poll  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Battle Sprites? (please make sure to add exclamation points)

• YES! They are fun... and stuff!
    • NO! (why am I even in this thread?)
    • MAYBE!? I dunno... if they look good, I guess.
    • Purple Monkey Dishwasher...
    • Definitely Maybe?
    • STILL NO! (Seriously, why are you even in this thread?)
    • ...SPOOOOOOOOON!
    • Other. (Please elaborate in post)
  2. 2. What Topic/Themes would you like to see? (choose as many as you like)

• Avatar Adventures! Sprite your avatar.
    • Man/Woman in the Mirror! Sprite Yourself! (proof optional)
    • The Monster Mash! Sprite a Monster!
    • The Great Gender Swap! Sprite a pre-existing character/class as the opposite gender!
    • Baby Blues... Make a child/offspring of two pre-existing characters! (Can be same gender, can be different species, BonewalkerxLyn for the win?)
    • The Reclassifieds... sprite a pre-existing character in a new class.
    • Shades of the Past! Sprite a pre-GBA Fire Emblem character/class/creature...(Includes DS designs, FE 1/2/3/4/5/11/12)
    • Shades of Tellius! Sprite a GC/Wii era Fire Emblem character/class/creature. (FE 9/10, PoR/RD)
    • Shade of the Future! Sprite a 3DS era character/class/creature. (FE 13/14, Awakening/FEif)
    • Heroes reimagined! Sprite a GBA era character/class/creature in a new way/design. (FE 6/7/8)
    • Crossover Chaos! Sprite a pre-existing video game character in Fire Emblem style.
    • Movie Madness! Sprite based on a Movie.
    • Book Club! Sprite based on a Book.
    • The OC... sprite an original character!
    • Other. (Please elaborate in thread)
    • The Animated Challenge... Every few contests, an animation based week.
    • FRANKENSTEIN... Make the best sprite you can incorporating multiple bases.
    • Pimp My Mount! Make the best/coolest/craziest mount you can sprite/design.
    • Welcome to the Jungle! Animal spriting competition, no humans allowed.
    • Modern Day Mayhem! Sprite a pre-existing FE character or class in more modern day equivalent/design. Either Military or Civilian accepted.
  3. 3. What Format for Voting? (choose one)

• 1 single vote... Screw Divisions/Categories!
    • Best Custom, Splice/Edit, Overall. 1 vote each.
    • Best Custom, Splice/Edit: 1 vote each. Best Overall: multiple votes.
    • Best Custom, Splice/Edit, Overall. All multi-votes. Tiebreaker, single vote if needed.
    • Best Custom, Splice/Edit:1 vote each. Third Category: "Pick which ones you like!" multi-vote. Best Overall=most votes total.
    • Best in theme: single vote. Pick which ones you like: multi-vote.
    • 3 votes... 1st place choice, 2nd place choice, 3rd place choice. Votes weighted.
    • I really don't care about the voting format.
    • Other. (Please elaborate in thread)

Lol, yeah. Never ran a competition before so I'm kinda liking getting as much advice/ideas as possible.

I could make it right away/simpler but also trying to find the time ATM to sit down and right it up properly.

As for dates, my thought was about 2 weeks-week and a half depending on how quick people work/how much time some people want. Don't think battle sprites need any thing more than 2 weeks.

Wondering if some people want to help out with designing up some banners/trophies for the winners? I'd appreciate/love any and all offers of help, but if need be I can whip something up myself there.

I like those suggestions too for themes/topics, I can add them to the poll if you like? My ideas there were using suggestions people have posted so far along with some themes I would enjoy spriting! :D

Will have the actual topic up today hopefully as I have some spare time before work.

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Theme suggestion!

Spriter's Best Friend: Sprite your pet or a friend's/relative's pet if you have none.

I'd have both that and the OC one covered if I used Samba ^_^ I actually have a cat laguz OC named after a cat of mine. But I'd make something new....probably the big oafish black lab Tyson.

Edited by Dragoncat

One thought on winners incentive is the winner of each division gets to choose part of the next competition. Like if its set up with separate splice/custom divisions then whoever garners more votes can choose the basic theme, while the other winner provides a twist or description/adjective.

example. Custom Winner garners more votes than splice winner. Custom chooses Mercenaries or some Noun or type as a theme.

Splice winner gets to add a descriptor, adds Young, or Flying.

...so next competition will be Flying Mercenaries or Young Mercenaries.

Or it could be a random decision which winner gets to pick what.

...custom winner could add a challenge for custom sprites, splice winner could offer 1 sprite the next contest must use in their splice.

...or we could do like the splice comp, top winner gets first splice sprite choice, second winner gets next, two runners up select other two.

Must use parts from 3 of 4 for splice whereas unnecessary for custom, but may use for inspiration.

1 entry allowed for each division, but you can only win one division, if you garner highest vote in both, next highest will be chosen for second winner.

...something like that maybe.

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

I think that's an iffy spot since most of the topic ideas don't really share something that can be broken down (unless you want to lock into a certain structure/choose only one topic for the whole series), and you're otherwise starting to get overly complicated with trying to divvy up the incentive.

Mapping doesn't seem to have a problem with the winner-take-all approach, imo go with the simplest option to begin with. Again, if you try that and see a problem with it, you can always switch it up / add rules to mandate a structure or category (to make it easier to create a participant incentive).

True, custom doesn't figure into map making as much as battle spriting though.

So I do think hosting both custom and splice comps would be good.. but maybe you are right that they should be two split competitions...

Keep in mind that you're fragmenting your participant base when you decide to create multiple competitions, too.

I don't think there's much freedom to be had for battle-sprite splicing so having it as a category is excessive imo, and if I were worried about everyone going the FC route forever I'd just mandate a certain base sprite be used somehow and revolve the game around that (not really suggesting this, see it going stale after a while).

A simple idea would be having 3 catogories:

Splices

Custom

Overall

This way people who do splices/customs can get a fair comparision to the other entries.

The last will explains itself and will decide the winner.

Also instead of 1st,2nd and 3rd place,it could be best overall/splices/customs.

...well, the contest is up. Hope we have some fun. ;)

Lemme know if anything needs clarifying or simplifying. Didn't have a clear winner in themes at the time of posting so went with a topic/theme I hope will be accessible and enjoyable for many people.

...so, we hyped!? I AM HYPED!

LET'S GET READY... FOR THE BIWEEKLY BATTLE SPRITE SHOWDOWN!!!! >:D

I look forward to seeing what we all come up with. :D

Yeah animations are a time consumer... But would be fun to have some animation comps... Maybe something like every so often the battle sprite comp has to be animation based? ...like every five comps, the fifth will be animation based.

...or something?

Anyways, since the first comp did not use one of the topics here I will use the topic with most votes for theme if either the winner has no idea for theme, or for my first win... If I can win. ;)

...future winners are of course able to use some of these suggestions for their own theme as well. We'll just try to not have any repeats for a while.

Hope the double post is alright as it is new info I want peoe to see...

First off once again, thanks Levy for that suggestion. I like the vote idea you came up with.

Vote will be split into three sections...

1) Best Splice/Edit

2) Best Full Custom

3) Best overall sprite

Runner ups will come from the next highest vote in each category excluding winners.

...decision was to limit entry to only one... But if enough people want to enter in both categories that could be allowed.

But only one of full custom/splice can be won. Whereas Besty overall winner can overlap, so you can win Best Custom/Splice as well for that Showdown week.

Edit: ...also, go check out Merc's entry. Freaking Awesome! This Showdown... Just got kicked up a notch! >:D

I dunno how many full custom battle spriters, or splice battle spriters we have within the community... Or portrait or map makers either.

But I think a competition like this is a great opportunity for anyone to develop those skills... and maybe we can challenge some individuals to become those Full Custom spriters. :D

...BTW, I hope you're in bud. Would love to see what you come up with. ;)

Apologies for a double post, just want to clarify something, as I have a question about for people entering...

...hey so I've been seeing the entries submitted for the contest so far, I think based on the entries I have observed the stipulation that splicers/editors must use the initial base sprite seems confusing.

Is that true? Should we drop that idea? Does it make it harder for the splicers/editors to sprite, or have people been using parts of the Lyn provided and I just haven't noticed?

BBSS-1_zpsbmq17u3x-1.png

I think you're terrible at clarification, and that everything you've "clarified" thus far is more confusing than it is enlightening. The entire contest setup is more convoluted than it really ought to be.

IMO, just give people a theme to work with, then see what additional shit you want to add to it later. Don't make it a huge fucking deal right off the bat.

lol, alright.

I think you're right though. Made things far too wordy.

EDIT: Splice requirement dropped. Now optional to use the base provided unless the week is specifically about Splicing.

I think forcing us to use a base is a horrible idea, there isn't as much space as in a mug and it's a pretty big constraint. No one likes working with a bunch of constraints, and that combined with the theme is a bit much.

Kk, revising original contest post using the KISS principle.

...see? Feedback is great! :P

Edit:

...so also been thinking based on what I have seen with the entries so far that we aren't needing to have as long an entry period as with the Mug Splice competition.

Thinking about it that makes sense if we are typically doing only single poses. Although this is the first week after a bit of hype, so the volume/speed of entries may vary quite a bit, especially at busy times of the school year and such.

Current deadline/time limit is two weeks or so. Should we set it to a week-week and half?

...would keep it more biweekly that we'd have a new showdown up I suppose. Thoughts?

I think a good way to treat rules is to not mandate them until it becomes obvious that they're necessary. Same with structure: give enough that everyone's in on the same thing, but not so much that it feels like a chore or something that has to be studied before getting into. Gonna try to give 2c on your whole rule list.

Hey all,

Welcome to the first ever,(that I am aware of) Serenes Forest Biweekly Battle Sprite Showdown!

Many thanks to all who offered ideas, and suggestions! So much great feedback, much thanks goes to Lenh, Ghast, and Levy for suggestions on format for rules and competition, and to all who offered advice or ideas... with that out of the way, lets get down to it!

-----

THEME/TOPIC: Match Game, Make a battle sprite that matches the artwork or mug of an existing Fire Emblem character. can be any of entries from the series(ex. FE13, FE BS satellite, etc.)

SPLICE/POSE/REFERENCES:
-A skeleton pose for Full Custom spriters to use if they so choose,
-a Base Sprite the Splice/Edit spriters MUST use some part of
-and a reference/mug to illustrate or be used for the concept or theme.
Imo all this stuff you reiterate later on. I think you'd be better off just saying this is an example entry (like below), and getting rid of the skeleton part.

BBSS-1_zpsbmq17u3x-1.png
Lyn is one of the few Fire Emblem GBA sprites to have a mug and sprite, and even character art that actually match pretty well... so, lets make some more, shall we?

Image-Lyndis_zpswsg67dh6-1.jpg add a hyperlink to the OA instead of filling up the page

------

As this is our first Biweekly Battle Sprite Showdown competition, let me lay out some ground rules.
[spoiler=Rules]
RULES:
> only 1 entry per contestant, either in the Full Custom division or in the Splice/Heavy Edit division.
> You may revise your entry until the deadline, but must keep your entry within the same original edited post. unnecessary imo, just collect entries at the end of the deadline and let people run the risk of pushing the deadline on their own.
> No voting for your own entry! This violates the spirit of competition, any votes for one's own entry will be not counted. I think this rule is kind of silly but it seems to be a legacy thing.
> Hosts may enter contests not necessary, unless you switch to judged comp and host is also judge
> Entries should strive to adhere to the recommended color limit of 16 colors.(15 colors+ 1 background color) This is more of a guideline, but try not to enter a Rainbow worth of colors with your entry. You are not restricted to only colors from the base GBA sprites.
> Battle Sprites must attempt to be in the GBA Fire Emblem battle sprite style, unless that week's contest has a specifically different style/focus. If incentive is voter-based, votes do a good job of regulating this aspect.
> Entries must be made for the contest. (ie. No posting previous/old works) As this too violates the spirit of competition. The purpose of these contests is to encourage development of the spriting community, and reusing old stuff doesn't help anyone grow/develop. Going into detail seems unnecessary. These are rules, not persuasive statements.
> This should go without saying... but entries must be the submitters own work, using works/splices/customs from other artists and claiming them as your own work is not only dishonest but is considered Sprite Theft and will not be tolerated. Covered under forum rules, community does a good job of catching it
> Anyone caught violating a contest rule will be first given a warning and asked to either edit or submit a new entry. Serious and/or multiple or repeated violations will result in at least a temporary ban from the contest. You're hosting, but imo it's not worth saying how you're thinking of punishing people before any problems actually arise.

SPLICE/HEAVY EDIT DIVISION NOTES
> Entries must be Spliced or Edited battle sprites. Explained by title. If you keep it, a good idea is to explain what a Splice/Heavy edit actually is.
> Contestants must be able to show work if splice/edited nature of the sprite is under question. More broad, more likely to be followed/respected.
> Contestants MUST use some portion of the initial Splice Base Sprite provided within their splice/edit. The amount used is up to their own discretion. I think you might run into a huuuuge problem where people will end up just continuously using the head or fringes of the shadows from the 'initial splice base sprite' and nothing else. I think you ought to allow people the free will to splice from the vanilla battle sprites they want to use (so remove this rule altogether and let theme mandate the rule if it wants to).
> Splice Contestants may use the reference, skeleton pose, and other splice bases provided for this week's contest, but are not required to use them. Again, let theme mandate the rule, not the general rules.

FULL CUSTOM DIVISION NOTES
> Entries must be Full Custom. Explained by title.
> No edits of previous customs or base sprites allowed.(Or just enter it in the Splice/Heavy Edit division instead... this is allowable if it is a new sprite made for the contest... works not made for the contest will still be not within the spirit of competition) Covered by 'must be new work' in general rules.
> Contestants must be able to show work if full custom nature of the sprite is under question. What??? Imo this feels like a 'you have to be able to prove you made this', which is covered by forum rules and any Inquisition that forms when someone's sprite comes into question.
> Full Custom Contestants may use the reference or skeleton pose provided for that weeks contest in their entry, but are not required to use them. "You can either follow this rule, or not. You don't really have to. I'm just writing notes."

[spoiler=Winners]

WINNERS: I really don't get this section, it seems overly complicated and not really rewarding, but was gonna wait a round to see how your idea panned out.
> Voting will be split into three categories, Best Overall Sprite, Best Full Custom, and Best Splice/Edit.
> The winner of Best Full Custom, or Best Splice/Edit may also be the winner of Best Overall Sprite.
> Winner of the Best Overall Sprite gets to choose the next theme/topic of the following contest.
> Winner of the Full Custom Division gets to provide a skeleton pose, and reference for the next contest.
> Winner of the Splice Division gets to provide the base sprite that must be spliced for the next contest.

A PM conversation thread (like the one I use for the splice contest) has a max of 5 participants (including the host). You might keep this all one-on-one but idk, being in early on the next round is kind of a fun incentive on its own.
> Runners-up will be the three contestants with the next highest votes following the winners.
> The runner-ups of the three categories will get to provide their choice of either one base sprite each for use in the splicing contest, a reference or a skeleton pose, all of which are for optional use for participants in the next contest.
> Winners and Runner's up must provide their choices within 3-5 days of the host's private messaging.

> Best Overall Winner has choice to select their own theme or use a theme suggested within the Battle Sprite Comp Feedback thread. Redundant, said before in WINNERS section.
> They may also choose to defer theme/topic to the host if unable to come up with one. Doesn't need to be said.
> Host will provide the next theme/topic if no reply is made within the 3-5 days. Combine this with the 'must provide their choices' note.

The Winners of each category of the contest will also receive a custom banner and trophy sprite which they can display in their signatures for bragging rights. A thread will be kept updated chronicling past events and winners for the community.

Any questions or concerns can be PMed to me, the current host! ...or uh, just in the thread too is cool but lets try and keep it focused more on entries and such.

Deadline: Sunday, February 8th, 2015... 11:59pm PST (ie... about 2 weeks)

Hope you all enjoy and have some fun! Lets get spriting! :D

PS: I have currently left out animations as a category. We may do another of the Competition weeks focused on animations but as for now they are just bonus. Might garner you some extra votes if people think it looks cool.

If we have enough interest for animations, we may include that as a division/category of future showdowns, or have showdowns focused on animations.

...any other suggestions or ideas on the format/rules/deadline will be taken into account. My apologies if this is too wordy... we'll work on that. ;)

I prefer the idea of bi-weekly, just to give enough time to take a break from it one weekend and work on it the other, or two weeks to really dig into it at a relaxed pace, personally.

Oh... You are awesome. Thank you very very much Lenh! That kind of detailed advice/help on how I am over thinking/complicating things or not being clear is invaluable.

I think I have a tendency to over-explain. Especially as this is my first time running any sort of competition like this. Sometimes every idea, even the really nonsensical if you step back and look from the outside, seem all good. :\

I have been trimming the original post and hope to have a simpler version up ASAP when I can access the laptop again. These thoughts and suggestions will hugely help! :D

...I am glad that people still seem to be interested in/enjoying and participating in the contest despite my not quite knowing what the hell I am doing as a host. XD
...please keep giving suggestions, and pointing out things that are confusing or unclear, or any other screw ups I am making! I have a fairly thick skin, so its all good, help me make things better! I really love these contests and want to see the Biweekly Battle Sprite Showdown as a great competition we can all look forward to!

Best way to learn can be from fixing your own screwups sometimes. ;)

-----

EDIT:

Competition Original Post has been edited and updated. Here is a copy of the updated post/rules.

Hey all,

Welcome to the first ever,(that I am aware of) Serenes Forest Biweekly Battle Sprite Showdown!

----
Many thanks to all who offered ideas, and suggestions! So much great feedback, and much thanks goes to Lenh, Ghast, and Levy for suggestions on format for rules and competition, and to all who offered advice or ideas... Special kudos to Lenh for going over each part of the original post!

With that out of the way, lets get down to it!
-----

THEME/TOPIC: Match Game, Make a battle sprite that matches the artwork or mug of an existing Fire Emblem character. can be any of entries from the series(ex. FE13, FE BS satellite, etc.)

ENTRIES:
An example of what to post.

[Name of character] Lyn [Entry Division] Splice/Edit
BBSS-1_zps2x2ufzqo.png

-Base used for Splicers/Editors(non-Optional), Skeleton or early form for Custom Sprite(Optional)
-Your Entry
-Reference/mug to illustrate or be used for the concept or theme.

-Post reference/art used in spoilers below

[spoiler=Original Art/Reference]

Image-Lyndis_zpswsg67dh6-1.jpg

Lyn is one of the few Fire Emblem GBA sprites to have a mug and sprite, and even character art that actually match pretty well... so, lets make some more, shall we?

------

As this is our first Biweekly Battle Sprite Showdown competition, let me lay out some ground rules.
[spoiler=Rules]
RULES:
1) only 1 entry per contestant, either in the Full Custom division or in the Splice/Heavy Edit division.
2) No voting for your own entry!
3) Entries should be limited to 16 colors.(15 colors+ 1 background color) This is more of a guideline, but good to follow for style and challenge reasons. Colors may be custom or using GBA sprite palletes.
4) No posting previous/old works.

SPLICE/HEAVY EDIT DIVISION NOTES
> Contestants must be able to show work if splice/edited nature of the sprite is under question.

FULL CUSTOM DIVISION NOTES

> Again, Skeleton/early version is not required to be posted, but recommended. (This is more for newer battle spriters to learn from/reference)

[spoiler=Voting and Winners]

VOTING:
Voting will be split into three categories,

-Best Full Custom

-Best Splice/Edit.

-Best Overall Battle Sprite

>Voting will run for 3 days

WINNERS:
Winner of Best Overall Sprite may also be the winner of Best Full Custom, or Best Splice/Edit category.

> Winner of the Best Overall Sprite gets to choose the next theme/topic of the following contest.
> Winner of the Full Custom Division gets to provide a skeleton pose.
> Winner of the Splice Division gets to provide a base sprite to splice for the next contest.

> Winner with the highest votes total gets to provide a reference/original art.

Runners-up will be the three contestants with the next highest votes following the winners.

> The Runners-up of the three categories will get to provide their choice of either one base sprite each for splicing, a reference, or a skeleton pose.

> Winners and Runners-up must provide their choices within 3 days of the host's private messaging. Host will provide the next theme/topic if no reply in 3 days.

The Winners of each category of the contest will also receive a custom banner and trophy sprite which they can display in their signatures for bragging rights. A thread will be kept updated chronicling past events and winners for the community.

----

Any further questions or concerns can be PMed to the current host!(That's me Errant, currently) ...or posted either in the feedback thread or within this thread itself.

Deadline: Sunday, February 8th, 2015... 11:59pm PST (ie... about 2 weeks)

Hope you all enjoy and have some fun! Lets get spriting! :D

PS: I have currently left out animations as a category. We may do another of the Competition weeks focused on animations but as for now they are just bonus. Might garner you some extra votes if people think it looks cool.
If we have enough interest for animations, we may include that as a division/category of future showdowns, or have showdowns focused on animations.

...any other suggestions or ideas on the format/rules/deadline will be taken into account. My apologies if this is still too wordy... we'll work on that. ;)

...I hope after some coaching from Lenh, I don't completely suck at clarifying. ;P

Updated example too...Hopefully clearer. (ironically the boxes were just something I did for no real reason, didn't even mean to suggest people had to use the boxes... then everybody just went with it. Very organic the way that worked. XD)

BBSS-1_zps2x2ufzqo.png

-----

DOUBLE EDIT:

...so, been thinking of ways to make the winner choices seem more valuable. Currently doesn't seem like much incentive. But what if we gave some incentive, like using the base/skeleton/reference provided by the winners gets you a bonus vote? +1 vote for each area followed... Meaning you could at best get +2 votes added to your final tally for either Custom or Splice/Edit entries.

Issue I can see with that is it could limit people, rather than allowing them to be fully creative. But then, I suppose with the runner up choices as well there could be more variety? Also a question of weighting... Runner up choices likely should not be worth as much bonus votes as the Winner choices...

Perhaps they could be worth +0.5 of a vote, meaning the best you could get would be to combine two for +1 full vote?

...I dunno, dumb idea? Too complicated?(yet again?) The idea to me personally seems a little broken at the moment... But would love to hear some other thoughts or suggestions on this. :D

BTW this would not be implemented this round, but potentially in the next round.

Bonus vote sounds biased as fuck. Don't do that shit. We've done just fine with "winner picks next X" in all the other competitions.

As we've already reiterated: there's no need to make things unnecessarily complicated. You're trying too hard to make a huge fucking deal out of a little contest.

Nah, more just trying to think of ways to make it interesting/give something interesting to the winners' choices. As with the splice comp, if you win people have to use your mug choice. But right now, only Best overall winner choice of topic/theme really matters. :/

Guess that does give more incentive for people to try and win best overall though.

But you're right that it could go horribly wrong/get abused or something. Probably doesn't need to be done/make things fair.

I get that you've done many many contests before and probably have a better idea of what works and what doesn't. But can we chill on the "making it a bigger deal than it has to be" stuff?

That's not what I am trying to do. I am just trying to get people involved, especially people who might not usually do these, and help them enjoy the contest... K?

If I screw something up, call me on it. If its too damned complicated, tell me... But clearly not everything about this competition has been complete crap/bad ideas... So could I get a little leeway there as a new host?

But hey, anyways, that's what feedback and discussion is for! That's why I talk so damn much, post probably way too many ideas. Failing... then Fixing things, making things better... Isn't that what we're all trying to do here?

Working to grow? Develop our art and the community? ...and enjoy the discussion?

...I've said my piece, thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming. ;)

It's just a bad idea, since like Aeo said it's too absurdly biased. It's not like people need even more incentives to participate, since there's already a good turnout including people that don't normally participate in the other spriting competitions.

And you want her to call you on bad ideas, but not? Doesn't seem to make much sense, tbh. And I don't think anyone said all of your ideas are bad in the first place?

I think you might need to chillax a bit. I get that you're trying to make this competition successful and popular and junk, but it's not like this competition needs all the bells and whistles to draw in people.

Edited by Kon

Nah, more just trying to think of ways to make it interesting/give something interesting to the winners' choices. As with the splice comp, if you win people have to use your mug choice. But right now, only Best overall winner choice of topic/theme really matters. :/

Guess that does give more incentive for people to try and win best overall though.

But you're right that it could go horribly wrong/get abused or something. Probably doesn't need to be done/make things fair.

The topic/theme is really all that needs to matter, honestly? If you're looking to "develop [the] art and the community," that's really all that's necessary. Yes, you will have repeat entrants, and yes, you may not even get entries at all sometimes, but you know what has stayed constant about the existing competitions? The fact that we, as artists and people, can do things by ourselves without untoward outside incentives.

Obviously, winning feels good, but it really isn't everything, especially if you've tried your fucking hardest and put in your best effort to take up the challenge you've been given. Winning is only secondary to taking on a challenge. The key point here is that challenge. By adding in bonus votes creates an immediate bias in the equilibrium, because everyone starts off at an equal zero once the polls go up. Yes, some people are better or more experienced and thus may have more technically-advanced entries, but at the same time, how do you think they got there? Magically? No, these people have been doing this shit for a long time. They're experienced for a reason.

However, by the same token, even if more advanced spriters' entries are assumed to be "better" does not necessarily mean that they will always win. Yes, they will tend to win more frequently, but really, voting can go in any direction.

I get that you've done many many contests before and probably have a better idea of what works and what doesn't. But can we chill on the "making it a bigger deal than it has to be" stuff?

That's not what I am trying to do. I am just trying to get people involved, especially people who might not usually do these, and help them enjoy the contest... K?

If I screw something up, call me on it. If its too damned complicated, tell me... But clearly not everything about this competition has been complete crap/bad ideas... So could I get a little leeway there as a new host?

You ask for feedback, but in the same statement, entirely contradict yourself? I'm not even sure how to respond to this section because it's just so contradictory. You just told me to calm the fuck down because you're making this contest needlessly complicated, and then you turn right the fuck around and say "if I mess up or make it too complicated, lmk" - what the fuck do you think I'm doing. I am - and I have been - telling you what is wrong. It is precisely because a number of us have been in the contest scene for awhile that we know what to expect, and it is why we have been telling you these things. Clearly, you are hearing, but you're not listening.

If it has to be repeated, then obviously there is a problem that has been addressed that is not being taken care of.

>But clearly not everything about this competition has been complete crap/bad ideas...

Have I said at any point that everything was a bad idea? No. Keep your hyberbole to yourself. I shot down one idea, the rest of it was a critique on how you handle the way the contest operates - and the discussion.

But hey, anyways, that's what feedback and discussion is for! That's why I talk so damn much, post probably way too many ideas. Failing... then Fixing things, making things better... Isn't that what we're all trying to do here?

Working to grow? Develop our art and the community? ...and enjoy the discussion?

...I've said my piece, thanks for the feedback. Keep it coming. ;)

You keep asking for feedback, but you get upset when someone says something twice or immediately shoots an idea down. Hmm.

Honestly, I think you're underestimating the community, and it almost feels a little condescending, in a lot of ways.

This contest isn't some radically new idea you're trying to establish here. I'm fairly certain we've had battle sprite contests in the past. They'd merely fallen to the wayside due to a lack of participation. Please realize that this is a casual contest. For fun. If anyone here needs to calm the fuck down, mate - it's you.

Let the community drive itself. We're not a bunch of shiftless layabouts that need to be ordered around all the time. Give us a theme, and then let us do the rest ourselves. You want development? This is how development happens - through the individual artist.

-----

@Kon - Stop being a fucking ninja, Kon. <3

Edited by Etain