Biweekly Battle Sprite Showdown, ~'Cause we're Artists! Don't need no Reasons~ (9/9: suggestions?) ideas and discussion thread.

ErrantDShepherd

Battle Sprite Compy poll  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Battle Sprites? (please make sure to add exclamation points)

• YES! They are fun... and stuff!
    • NO! (why am I even in this thread?)
    • MAYBE!? I dunno... if they look good, I guess.
    • Purple Monkey Dishwasher...
    • Definitely Maybe?
    • STILL NO! (Seriously, why are you even in this thread?)
    • ...SPOOOOOOOOON!
    • Other. (Please elaborate in post)
  2. 2. What Topic/Themes would you like to see? (choose as many as you like)

• Avatar Adventures! Sprite your avatar.
    • Man/Woman in the Mirror! Sprite Yourself! (proof optional)
    • The Monster Mash! Sprite a Monster!
    • The Great Gender Swap! Sprite a pre-existing character/class as the opposite gender!
    • Baby Blues... Make a child/offspring of two pre-existing characters! (Can be same gender, can be different species, BonewalkerxLyn for the win?)
    • The Reclassifieds... sprite a pre-existing character in a new class.
    • Shades of the Past! Sprite a pre-GBA Fire Emblem character/class/creature...(Includes DS designs, FE 1/2/3/4/5/11/12)
    • Shades of Tellius! Sprite a GC/Wii era Fire Emblem character/class/creature. (FE 9/10, PoR/RD)
    • Shade of the Future! Sprite a 3DS era character/class/creature. (FE 13/14, Awakening/FEif)
    • Heroes reimagined! Sprite a GBA era character/class/creature in a new way/design. (FE 6/7/8)
    • Crossover Chaos! Sprite a pre-existing video game character in Fire Emblem style.
    • Movie Madness! Sprite based on a Movie.
    • Book Club! Sprite based on a Book.
    • The OC... sprite an original character!
    • Other. (Please elaborate in thread)
    • The Animated Challenge... Every few contests, an animation based week.
    • FRANKENSTEIN... Make the best sprite you can incorporating multiple bases.
    • Pimp My Mount! Make the best/coolest/craziest mount you can sprite/design.
    • Welcome to the Jungle! Animal spriting competition, no humans allowed.
    • Modern Day Mayhem! Sprite a pre-existing FE character or class in more modern day equivalent/design. Either Military or Civilian accepted.
  3. 3. What Format for Voting? (choose one)

• 1 single vote... Screw Divisions/Categories!
    • Best Custom, Splice/Edit, Overall. 1 vote each.
    • Best Custom, Splice/Edit: 1 vote each. Best Overall: multiple votes.
    • Best Custom, Splice/Edit, Overall. All multi-votes. Tiebreaker, single vote if needed.
    • Best Custom, Splice/Edit:1 vote each. Third Category: "Pick which ones you like!" multi-vote. Best Overall=most votes total.
    • Best in theme: single vote. Pick which ones you like: multi-vote.
    • 3 votes... 1st place choice, 2nd place choice, 3rd place choice. Votes weighted.
    • I really don't care about the voting format.
    • Other. (Please elaborate in thread)

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, worked out that way it would seem.

Just a heads up, Sunday 11:59pm PST is the deadline for round 2... Still got the whole weekend to make a great entry!

...thinking if this week doesn't get many more entries might just go ahead with a best overall vote, over the full-custom and splice/edit split.

----

EDIT: Below this post is a bunch of posts/argument from the entry thread we got shifted over here to not distract from the entries.

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

Yeah, the dragon. Not the rest of it. The rest of it is brand new, full custom. So this doesn't count as old work.

Edited by Anacybele

The dragon does. It was previously made and absolutely no previous work can be accepted. The rest of your entry is fine, just the dragon needs to be taken out.

This is part of the rules, and isn't up for debate.

The entry wouldn't be eligible if the dragon was taken out, because then there would be no creature in it.

The rules don't say anything about entries not being allowed to have some new and some old work in them. This isn't your contest, so it's not your say whether or not my entry can be in it. So leave it alone, please.

I actually made that dragon a long time ago, I just recolored it to make it my new Blue Dragon class and fixed the shading.

4) No posting previous/old works.

It's not an old work.

that moment when reading comprehension

That moment when you skip everything else I've said.

YOU DID NOT START THIS CONTEST, THEREFORE YOU CANNOT TELL ME MY ENTRY IS INVALID.

Edited by Anacybele

I may not have started the contest, but I can read perfectly fine

The rules say no posting old works

The dragon is an old work

The dragon isn't allowed

And no amount of ALL CAPS is going to change the rules

Edited by Kon

You're really arguing semantics?

The rules don't say anything about entries not being allowed to have some new and some old work in them.

No old work. That means nothing, zip nada. Every art contest has this rule. It doesn't say "No old work, well maybe a little" or "A small amount of old work", it says No old work.

There's only one person to blame for this, and that's you. If you had just posted it nobody would have cared, but then you explicitly stated it was old work. You're the only one to blame here.

Edited by Klokinator

The dragon is also coupled with a brand new work and is an alteration of an old work. It's not like I took the original sprite and slapped it in here. Nothing says that what I did isn't allowed, so it's allowed. End of story.

In fact, instead of arguing with me like immature kids, why don't you wait for ErrantShepherd to confirm that my entry is valid?

You and Kon were the ones that protested my entry. I never did anything to provoke drama or arguments. You two have no one to blame but yourselves. The reason I mentioned the dragon being an alteration of an old work was in case someone here has seen or sees my original dragon sprites and mistakenly points out that I only reused an old work.

Edited by Anacybele

I'm not arguing

I'm stating the rules

No old work means no old work

Slapping some new shading on it doesn't make it new

And I'm not sure how I'm being an immature child when you're the one yelling at us

In all caps

New shading, new coloring, and some other minor touch ups.

Yeah, it says "no old work" not "no new sprites with previously made parts."

And I used caps but no exclamation point. Therefore, I was not yelling, but only using emphasis.

Edited by Anacybele

edited the dragon.

This is why everyone is saying it is "old work". You have made an addition to old work. The work, existed previously, which is what the rule states. No old work, means you must create the entire thing from scratch. It can not be an edit on something already existing, touch up or otherwise.

This is not confusing.

I sincerely hope ErrantShepherd comes in here and agrees with us, because if you put the same effort and stubbornness you put into arguing, into spriting, you probably could've made a better, from scratch entry.

Edited by I have opinions

"I'm right because despite the hundreds of contests we've had and the hundreds if not thousands of entries and the well-accepted notion of 'make everything new from the ground up for each contest' I'm too silly to realize the floodgates this opens for lowering the competition bar" -Ana

Let's see. Oh hey, Nih can just repost and recolor her Petrine from last contest, maybe draw another small sprite beside it. New works that we've never seen before, and it has a creature so it's like, totally legit and stuff! Or maybe next contest, Yeti can go grab that dragon he sprited for FE7x and plop it in here, never mind that the whole point of the contests is to make NEW works for everyone to see! But hey, leave it to Ana to declare herself immune to long standing unspoken rules and traditions. It's what happens when you're born a special snowflake.

#Analogic

Edited by Klokinator

I sincerely hope ErrantShepherd comes in here and agrees with us, because if you put the same effort and stubbornness you put into arguing, into spriting, you probably could've made a better, from scratch entry.

Sorry, but I couldn't. I didn't have anything else to make. And good luck. If ErrantShepherd is smart and fair, he'll allow my entry.

Also, wow. You guys just hit a whole new level of immaturity by resorting to bullying me. And people have called me immature.

Edited by Anacybele

Sorry, but I couldn't. I didn't have anything else to make. And good luck. If ErrantShepherd is smart and fair, he'll allow my entry.

Also, wow. You guys just hit a whole new level of immaturity by resorting to bullying me. And people have called me immature.

5uM-not-sure-if-parody-or-genuine-victim