World Map or No?

Azz

154 members have voted

1. 1. World Map or No?

• Yes definately!
    • No,that would suck!
    • I couldn't care less,just give me a good game.

Not sure honestly...I was originally going to say go 7's route, but I think almi23 brought up a good point. Of course it depends on how they decide to do supports, but if they go with Awakening's engine it'll probably be similar to that anyway. Additionally, I like the idea of the whole "enemy detachments" thing.

I do feel, though, that 13 went a bit too "free" with the map. If they're going to have a map, I'd much rather have it be similar to 8's design, but that probably won't happen.

Gotta vote for "No" here. I would say Fire Emblem is at it's best when things only move forward in a linear campaign. It gives the whole experience a sense of adventure that just isn't there when the worst possible consequence of bad decisions is that one has to waste time farming from an infinite supply of money and exp. I do kinda miss visitable towns, though.

I don't care all that much, but if the map returns, only 8's version, please. While you could walk between levels normaly, when the story called for haste (like that Jehanna chapter), you couldn't dwaddle about and do ten side quests. It hurt Awakening's story immensely that you could do some grinding or stuff before trying to rescue Emmeryn.

Here to break the mold. What IF. What if... You follow the typical FE game that we all know and love with no world map, BUT (and that's a big but folks, I think we all like big buts. *cough*) once you've finished the main story, you get access to a world map? I like this idea, and it would satisfy both sides.

I'm sure we all love revisiting locations that we hold dear, and that's why I always loved the world map. You get to revisit maps you really loved to play on the first time around. Without having to start the game over completely. Obviously this would require a lot of extra bonus maps and gaidens to make it worthwhile to gain access to the world map. Thoughts?

Here to break the mold. What IF. What if... You follow the typical FE game that we all know and love with no world map, BUT (and that's a big but folks, I think we all like big buts. *cough*) once you've finished the main story, you get access to a world map? I like this idea, and it would satisfy both sides.

I'm sure we all love revisiting locations that we hold dear, and that's why I always loved the world map. You get to revisit maps you really loved to play on the first time around. Without having to start the game over completely. Obviously this would require a lot of extra bonus maps and gaidens to make it worthwhile to gain access to the world map. Thoughts?

I hadn't considered this idea before, but I like it.

At first my reaction was "Hell yeahz give me a map!" But then after thinking about it for a second, I realize that a lot of my favorite FEs don't have world maps. Holy War and Radiance are some of my most favorite games of all time and they don't have world maps. Because of this, I don't think it is necesarily needed. Just make the game awesome please!

That being said, if they do decide to add the map then they need to up the ante I feel. In a series like FE filled with warefare and such, I feel that it would be cool if the bad guys placed armies out to get you on the map. And if you went out to battle you could take them out, but other armies could go out and take out other bases of yours. So you'd have to be careful or something. It's a bit hard to explain, but I guess what it comes down to is why not make it more like a classic PC war strategy game when it comes to the map like Civilization or something? Not sure how they could do this realistically because of the permadeath, although it would be interesting if they added elements from those kinds of games nontheless.

If the game really does have significant choices and a branching storyline then I think that the map should geographically illustrate the history of your choices and overall journey.

Maybe in a "save game+" the map can trace over the path(s) of the alternate choice(s)? *shrug*

I have many mixed opinions on the world map, on the one hand, being able to go on a skirmish with your troops on past battlefields is fun, on the other hand skirmishing can be game breaking. I'll say no unless they add a really cool mechanic or something to expand upon it. (I once had the idea of a sort of castle defence mode, where skirmish enemies appear on the map and get closer to a castle of the heroes, if the enemies reach therewhile you ignore them and only do story chapters then you have to restart the game, might be a little unforgiving)

Yes.

I really like the World Map, especially Sacred Stones' map. I know it breaks up the "Urgent Mission" aspect of the game because you'd spend time dinking around at shops and Paralouges, but those are the two best reasons for one. I remember not being ready for Merlinus' Paralouge in Blazing Sword and losing Bartre, Dorcas, and Matthew to the boss. It sucked. Also, I remember back when Constitution was a thing breaking a shrimpy-but-good unit's light weapon (cough Florina cough) and having to buy them a heavy Iron or Steel weapon at the next Armory, if there was one. Oh, and the drought of Vulneraries was terrible.

• 2 weeks later...

I think they should add a world map that opens and closes routes depending on how you've progressed through the game. Like after choosing to go with the east side all levels located where western soldiers are get closed off, also if the next mission requires urgency just skip the whole world map all together and go right to the next level. Like the ghost ship chapter in Sacred Stones (i think). Also add shops into levels and on the world map you can only shop where there actually are shops.

Edited by zerosabers

I was going to say that I wanted a worldmap, but then I realized I just want a way to get the items my units need between chapters. Really I couldn't care less if I didn't have to travel to a specific village to shop, I just want the ability to use gold to restock my characters between chapters.

I was going to say that I wanted a worldmap, but then I realized I just want a way to get the items my units need between chapters. Really I couldn't care less if I didn't have to travel to a specific village to shop, I just want the ability to use gold to restock my characters between chapters.

Well, if it's just about that, Radiant Dawn already had a shop that was always available and offered everything there was to get. PoR was similar but it's weapon shop changed it's stock in every chapter.

If there is a World Map, I hope it will at least work differently. Running all around the entire world map and search ...every...single...shop... for weapons and items quickly became tiresome. Especially if there was a random encounter in the way. At least in Sacred Stones, you could get rid of them without a lengthy and tedious fight.

Edited by BrightBow

Well, if it's just about that, Radiant Dawn already had a shop that was always available and offered everything there was to get. PoR was similar but it's weapon shop changed it's stock in every chapter.

Really? I keep seeing good or interesting things about Radiant Dawn. When I get more money I should probably see if I can get a copy. (I want to play more Fire Emblem games anyway, but this one has reached the top of my list of Fire Emblems to buy.)

While not always neccesary (such as in the case of Elibe or Tellius having very distinct regions that you visit) I found having a world map made it a lot easier to understand the layout of the world. I was playing Shadow Dragon and they kept throwing names of this country or that without a clear indication of where everything was or why I should care, so when I was clicking through the intermission briefings I was thinking "Yeah yeah yeah, just point me in the direction of who I need to kill next." I wasn't invested in that world at all.

As for the issues of grinding random battles or the locations of shops on the map, I say make the random encounters few in number and only have shops on maps where shops existed.

I'd love the World Map to return, but it does need tweaking. D: If you're going to have an emotional and heart-breaking scene, go to the next chapter immediately. That would make things perfect.

Personally the world map is one of the features that I think boosted awakenings fan base it does come with drawbacks however

I'd love the World Map to return, but it does need tweaking. D: If you're going to have an emotional and heart-breaking scene, go to the next chapter immediately. That would make things perfect.

yeah perhaps certian chapter arcs could be locked into each other without a return to the world map they could even implement the multi stage map senario just have them go from one level to the next until the "arc" is finished the world map then could be a resting point alowing you to rearm and resuply your army.

I answered the poll as indifferent, but I think a world map in 14 could be bad. A copy of the 13 map could just create another game that pushes you to overgrind and hunt second seals, etc. I like the IDEA of a world map, but it just seems hard to execute without sacrifices. Surprise me, IS. Please.

Personally, I don't think the games benefits that much from the open world map. Having it linears makes it easier to pace the story and difficulty properly. I also preferred it when sidequests were rewards for doing a mission well.