In the Market for a New Laptop

Sentacotus

So I'm currently looking at Laptops down the road (by down the road I mean the end of this year) to replace my school issued one (which I love) which I got back in 2011. It functions great and all and I've taken great care of it but I realize it will be aging and I'll need to get a new one.

Its a Dell Latitude E6420 with Windows 7 64-bit

Current Specs are:

Intel Core (2 Cores) i5-2520M @2.50 GHz

8.00 GB of RAM (just upgraded this recently to beef it up)

Nvidia NVS 4200M (512MB Dedicated Memory) (2282MB Total)

Direct X10

232GB Hard Drive (I own a 1TB Backup as well)

Suprisingly I've been able to run Starcraft II and Skyrim smoothly. Civilization games run great. I remember that Dell used to have the option to customize builds but they don't do that anymore disappointinly so. I'm not too big into gaming on PC but I do want something better than what I currently have so something with an i7 and at least 8GB RAM. A SSD would be nice too and space isn't an issue since I've got my whole TB HDD still practically empty.

I plan to primarily use it for coding, video editing, internet, and various other productivity uses.

Is there a particular brand I should look at? Dell, Hp, Alienware? Etc...

Edited by TacoMan42

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a Clevo P150EM that's a few years old but was quite a good value when I got it. You may want to check them out too, but do your research because there are quite a few ways to save cash when ordering if you find something you like.

I've got a Clevo P150EM that's a few years old but was quite a good value when I got it. You may want to check them out too, but do your research because there are quite a few ways to save cash when ordering if you find something you like.

Yeah that's what I'm finding out thanks to Klok. I'm going to be looking as Asuses at the end of the year I'll probably get a used one off Ebay thats like 2 years old. Plus I'll still have the one I'm currently using as a backup and for general working and computing.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're going for a slightly older Asus, I can personally vouch for the G73SW. It's pretty solid, looks very nice and the base price was very low even when it was new so you should be able to pick one up for quite cheap.

I don't really know much about specifics of windows laptop models but I can vouch for Asus as a brand. My dad's laptop is 6 years old now and still runs well, and I have a desktop made by them.

Edited by Thor Odinson

If you're going for a slightly older Asus, I can personally vouch for the G73SW. It's pretty solid, looks very nice and the base price was very low even when it was new so you should be able to pick one up for quite cheap.

Definitely looks like a winner to me. Up to 16GB of RAM and a dedicated graphics card would be nice for a change. Right now they're going for about $580 used so I can only imagine how they'll be at the end of the year. I wouldn't think they would be obsolete by then and if they are I could just look at the ones Klok suggested earlier which will be cheaper as well.

I had a friend buy the Asus G75 and he got it a couple days ago. It came with 16 GB's RAM, expandable to 32. Pretty awesome.

This is the one he bought: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gaming-Laptop-ASUS-256gb-SSD-G75VW-Quad-i7-3610QM-16GB-RAM-nVIDIA-GTX660-2GB-/321667141927?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item4ae4db1127#viTabs_0

Edited by Klokinator

My alienware lasted me like...5 or 6 years and it's still kicking. I love it to death. Cost 1000 some bucks but so worth it.

It's a good brand for gaming and video editing. Everything my old Dell Inspiron couldnt do, it can. I fried the poor thing trying to get it to run games and stuff like that. RIP Cherry Red Dell Inspiron...

Sooo I guess you can get an asus like people have suggested, but alienwares have glowy keyboards that you can pick the color of the lights and that's awesome. In the end it will depend on what you think is a better deal. I don't know how much an asus that can do what an alienware does costs.

My alienware lasted me like...5 or 6 years and it's still kicking. I love it to death. Cost 1000 some bucks but so worth it.

It's a good brand for gaming and video editing. Everything my old Dell Inspiron couldnt do, it can. I fried the poor thing trying to get it to run games and stuff like that. RIP Cherry Red Dell Inspiron...

Sooo I guess you can get an asus like people have suggested, but alienwares have glowy keyboards that you can pick the color of the lights and that's awesome. In the end it will depend on what you think is a better deal. I don't know how much an asus that can do what an alienware does costs.

Most laptops have keyboards that you can unscrew and get a backlit one to put in thats what I did with my current one.

Anyone have experience with Think Pads? Thinking of buying one for work/uni, just simple word formatting and whatnot. I'm not very good with hardware specifications so I'll just say im willing to spend around $300

$300 isn't going to go very far toward anything but a really old one, I'm afraid (unless you settle for a lower grade ideaPad). But I've got an x220 (~$500 used plus more for custom upgrades) and previously had a T42, both of which have served me excellently.

$300 isn't going to go very far toward anything but a really old one, I'm afraid (unless you settle for a lower grade ideaPad). But I've got an x220 (~$500 used plus more for custom upgrades) and previously had a T42, both of which have served me excellently.

Yeah I don't think i'd mind an old one, as I said it'll just be for a few text documents I'd like to edit on the go. Cheers anyway.

I did end up finding a few buyers guides for ThinkPads, if anybody is interested, most useful was this one

Just remember that very few things will require 32 GB of RAM. 16 is more than enough for many things, so don't go paying extra needlessly.

Yeah at max I'd start out with 16GB and expand later down the line which is nice to have the option to upgrade later on.