I'm Looking For A Reliable, Non-Scam Asian Clothing Website

Shauni

Prom is coming up soon and as I have an interest in traditional asian fashion, I'd would like to wear a qipao from China. I've browsed various online retailers for one and while I've found many that I like, I can't seem to find them on any sites that aren't extremely shady. I've browsed various scam reporting websites but the vast majority of them with positive reviews are coming from accounts with only 1 review.

Has anyone on here ordered from an asian retail site with good results and if so, can you please direct me to it?

You have good taste. ^^

I can't help, but you should be very careful with importing stuff from China. The only time I've dealt with a Chinese retailer was when I bought some 3DS accessories from Play-Asia, which is located in Hong Kong, but Play-Asia has a decent reputation and their customer support is top notch.

Since you speak of "prom", I assume you're from the US. Doesn't your town have a shop that specializes in this stuff?

As a Chinese person I use Taobao, it's kinda like Chinese amazon, and they do ship to the US (just recently!)

The only problem is that I don't believe they have English navigation, I guess you can try applying google translate or something

If you live anywhere near New York City or San Fran I suggest just going to Flushing or Chinatown and get one straight up because you really want your qipaos to fit well, badly fitted qipaos don't look good

Since you speak of "prom", I assume you're from the US. Doesn't your town have a shop that specializes in this stuff?

Unfortunately not.

As a Chinese person I use Taobao, it's kinda like Chinese amazon, and they do ship to the US (just recently!)

The only problem is that I don't believe they have English navigation, I guess you can try applying google translate or something

If you live anywhere near New York City or San Fran I suggest just going to Flushing or Chinatown and get one straight up because you really want your qipaos to fit well, badly fitted qipaos don't look good

I do live in New York State (upstate though, so NYC is a few hours away) so I may be able to arrange a trip or two down to the city. If not, I'll try using Taobao. Thanks!

Wait, does taobao ship internationally? I haven't heard anything about it, and I'm pretty sure I'd notice something like this. Just how recent is it?

I do live in New York State (upstate though, so NYC is a few hours away) so I may be able to arrange a trip or two down to the city. If not, I'll try using Taobao. Thanks!

If you want to use Taobao, you'll have to use a shopping service since you can only buy from it if you have a chinese bank account. (A shopping service is a compagny or a person who you tell what you want to buy, they buy it for you and ship it to you for a fee, usually ~10% of the price). I can personally recommend taobaospree, but I've also heard good things about YouBuy.

If you consider using taobaospree, feel free to PM me any questions you have since ordering from them can be complicated of you dont know what do to :)

Feel free to ignore what I said if Thor is right and taobao has begun shipping internationally

Wait, does taobao ship internationally? I haven't heard anything about it, and I'm pretty sure I'd notice something like this. Just how recent is it?

A month ago at the earliest. I remember it was a thing after winter break started, so can't be that long.

A month ago at the earliest. I remember it was a thing after winter break started, so can't be that long.

Ah, that's really nice. Do you know if it's all shops or just some of them? And if it's to Europe, too, or just the US?

Ah, that's really nice. Do you know if it's all shops or just some of them? And if it's to Europe, too, or just the US?

All the ones I checked out had the overseas option so it's likely that at least a majority has overseas options.

As for country I'm not really sure because all out-of-china shipping is listed as the blanket term "overseas" and I haven't really looked into ordering overseas myself since my aunt's coming over in july so if I order anything it's going straight to my house in China and she'll bring it over so I save on shipping.

Edit: logged on to Taobao and it seems that they do have options for USA, Europe, Taiwan, or Other from a selection when they're asking where you are, but while you check shipping on the product pages it's still blanketly listed under overseas.

Edited by Thor Odinson

• 7 years later...