Why do some people love Roy so much?

Glaceon10

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A unit doesn't have to be good to be liked, Roy for example. I happen to like him because of his character and achievements in the story. Plus I ship him and Lilina so hard.

Edited by DragonLord

Let's not forget Roy's quite the ladies man supporting 6 female characters.

That kind of fanboy wish fulfilment thing would make me like him less, tbh.

Roy isn't the greatest statwise but I could see people liking him especially after playing FE7 getting to see Eliwood's kid in action is kinda cool.

Which is kind of funny, since Eliwood was supposed to be significant for being Roy's dad in a prequel, but now it looks like he's the more important character.
Edited by Radiant head

That kind of fanboy wish fulfilment thing would make me like him less, tbh.

Which is kind of funny, since Eliwood was supposed to be significant for being Roy's dad in a prequel, but now it looks like he's the more important character.

The first: Roy himself barely notices. Though FE6 was the first FE after Kaga left, it was still his view that the protag =/= the player. That was held until FE13, possibly 12.

The second: Roy was the one in SSB... complete with incomplete data in SSBB. In addition, FE7's ending was basically: "Dark star in Bern... BUT WAIT! HOPE IN LYCIA aka ROY"

The first: Roy himself barely notices. Though FE6 was the first FE after Kaga left, it was still his view that the protag =/= the player. That was held until FE13, possibly 12.

The second: Roy was the one in SSB... complete with incomplete data in SSBB. In addition, FE7's ending was basically: "Dark star in Bern... BUT WAIT! HOPE IN LYCIA aka ROY"

- Fair enough, though people are free to interpret the player/protag thing differently from however it may have been intended.

- Yeah, but he was dropped in favor of Ike for a reason. Roy was in Melee as a promotional character for FE6, and FE6 is kind of irrelevant compared to its prequel that actually made it overseas.

Edited by Radiant head

I am on my laptop and rest assured I have plenty of Roy buried on my Imgur.

JRXRxnq.png

uO4kOyr.png

...He got fed a lot of kills.

DvSQ9sA.png

Humorous effects Gringe's translation update had on the last one. I think it was the last one.

zfdijxP.png

I think I hacked the growths on this one to be based on FE4 gen 2 but meh.

- Yeah, but he was dropped in favor of Ike for a reason. Roy was in Melee as a promotional character for FE6, and FE6 is kind of irrelevant compared to its prequel that actually made it overseas.

Then what was Lucas doing in the game? He's completely irrelevant overseas, if Roy is.

Roy was dropped due to time constraints, not irrelevance. I wish they dropped Ike instead, but I'm biased on that issue

Edited by Glaceon Sage

do you, by any chance, live in another universe?

At this point, I believe that I am. Anything which I have seen is a pure illusion.

I do not even exist. I am now fading away. Bye.

Then what was Lucas doing in the game? He's completely irrelevant overseas, if Roy is.

Roy was dropped due to time constraints, not irrelevance. I wish they dropped Ike instead, but I'm biased on that issue

- Yeah and there's a reason Lucas didn't make the cut to the new game. Relevance isn't an absolute rule when it comes to making the cut. But it does affect the probability of a character making a cut for now and future installments of Smash.

- The problem with this logic is that even if that's true, virtually any character is at the risk of getting dropped because of time constraints. So there's a reason that Roy had a low priority compared to other characters who made it to the game.

Edited by Radiant head

- I know I'm setting myself up for ridicule, but I honestly I have no idea who Lucas is.

- The problem with this logic is that even if that's true, virtually any character is at the risk of getting dropped because of time constraints. So there's a reason that Roy had a low priority compared to other characters who made it to the game.

- Lucas is the protagonist of the Japan-only GBA game Mother 3. He was originally to replace Ness in Melee, but Earthbound/Mother 64 was cancelled (this game later became Mother 3). He and Ness both appeared in Brawl, though he was dropped in 4.

- Fair enough.

Not only that but Sakurai also wants characters who are differentiated and add something to the roster (aka less cloning more unique characters) so the inclusion of Ike brought in a heavy hard hitting sword user who happened to be in the most recent game at the time. I don't really think he's going away at this point, if nothing else how popular he is in smash.

Lucas is the third earthbound MC, also known as that blond psi boy.

and you have a point with the time constraints, ofcourse Roy was low on the list, he's an unpopular lord in FE and was a worse marth in smash, not too much love here.

Iirc Roy is very high on Japan's "put in SSB" lists.

He's unpopular in the west. Not so much there last I checked.

Yeah... isn't that the case that characters get dropped all the time due to time constraints especially when they had a stated desire to try to take out clone characters in Brawl? It would seem even more unlikely now for them to re-include Roy due to the lack of variation in his moveset currently from Marth's, and Lucina taking his place as Marth Clone.

I like Ike, and I like Roy... hell, I even like Marth... and I think they could viably create a distinct moveset for him if they tried... and for Lucina too. Just look at Project M and the Lucina mod for examples.

...but I don't know about Roy being unpopular? But maybe I'm just not knowledgable enough about the FE6 and Melee community...

Edited by TheErrantShepherd

...but I don't know about Roy being unpopular? But maybe I'm just not knowledgable enough about the FE6 and Melee community...

Most Roy hate comes from being utterly pitiful statwise.

He sucks statwise in both Melee and FE6.

Edited by Glaceon Sage

Honestly, even though I've never played FE6 and have no interest in it, I want to like Roy. I mean, the kid's got a cool-looking fiery sword and all. But some things make that hard, and his game not garnering my interest even if it were to be localized is one of them... Another thing is that he's a 15 year old kid lord that apparently makes some ridiculous achievements, an idea which I have never been fond of. It's extremely unrealistic and that's just not my cup of tea. Even just the kid lord idea is just no to me. And then some of his fans are annoying. Every time there was an Ike-related Smash post on Facebook or something, there'd be a bunch of posts that say "ROY'S OUR BOY" and nothing more.

Heck, Roy wielding a flaming sword would be enough to get me to play FE6 anyway... If he didn't have to wait until the LAST CHAPTER to get it (seriously, what was IS smoking when they thought this part of the game up?).

But... I still prefer Roy over Marth. I'll take even a kid lord over a girly-looking male one. Seriously.

In short, it's partly just tastes here. I can SORT of see why people would like Roy. I would like it if it was possible for Roy to return to Smash, but it's never going to happen. But I have my top favorite lord in Smash to make up for it, so I'm still happy. <3

Roy's got red hair. That means he's special, right?

I don't see any good point about Roy. Bad stats and overall uninteresting Lord (except on some small parts of the game, where he shines, like when he refuses to return to Elibe when Elphin warns him)

Another thing is that he's a 15 year old kid lord that apparently makes some ridiculous achievements, an idea which I have never been fond of. It's extremely unrealistic and that's just not my cup of tea.

Heck, Roy wielding a flaming sword would be enough to get me to play FE6 anyway... If he didn't have to wait until the LAST CHAPTER to get it (seriously, what was IS smoking when they thought this part of the game up?).

1. Roy is actually a pretty realistic character, for a fifteen year old leading an army.

Roy: No, I’m not making fun of you. You see, I have to always show people that I’m happy and confident because I’m the leader. But I often get depressed or become worried.

Roy: …I think they can be. I might sound naive, but I don’t consider a victory with casualties to be a true victory.

Allen: A true victory… Can there be a true victory in war?

Roy: I think there can be. That’s why I want to come up with a good plan.

Roy: Phew, I’ve finished outlining the troops’ positions…

Roy: When I go up front… It’s because I trust the others. I can’t be hiding in the back, fearing injury. I have to fight alongside the others.

Roy: No, it’s all right. I’m actually glad that you told me. I was more careful that time. Thank you.

Sofiya: ?…

Roy: If you hadn’t told me that, I probably wouldn’t have been as careful as I had. I could have been hurt badly. So thanks.

2. That's only if you fail to get the Gaidens. If you do get every Divine Weapon (and keep them intact), he has three more chapters to use it in. The problem is more the 20 use limit... but he steamrolls if that's removed, given it's easily the strongest weapon in FE6, sooooo...

Edit: How could I forget this? Roy/Wolt is one of my favorite supports in the game!

Roy: You see, I’m kind of angry at this person in the army. What he’s saying is true and makes sense, but…

Wolt: I see. What you understand intellectually and what you feel are two different things.

Roy: Right. My feelings don’t agree with what I understand. And then I start to get mad and I feel like telling him about it.

Wolt: Then do so! Keeping it inside of you is bad for your health. And besides, you are in a stressful position. No one would get angry if you spill it out once in a while.

Roy: You think so?

Wolt: Of course! If you want, I can go talk to the person. Even if the whole world turns against you, I will always be at your side.

Edited by Glaceon Sage

I like Roy just fine as a character. As a unit, hes butt and he knows it. Draggin his ass all over Elibe like a poodle with diarrhea. Man...poor Roy. Hes a pretty cool guy and tries so hard..

he tries so hard.

And hes made of paper.

Melee!Roy wasnt as good as Marth, but he had his niche.

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

Then I could say the same about FE9 Ike, by that logic. He's what, 16? 17? Not that much older.

He's 17 at the start of PoR, and 18 by the end. That's what I heard at least. It's realistic enough for medieval times. People joined the army at that age back then.

Edited by Anacybele