TheMoniker plays Death or Glory

TheMoniker

zoTCJEe.png

Hello everyone, and welcome to...

eNhtNPB.png

THE LACK OF A CUSTOM TITLE SCREEN!

Uh, wait, I mean...

DEATH OR GLORY!

Death or Glory is an FE7 hack by NYZ Gamer. It's story and gameplay are all custom, using plenty of custom animations and mugs. The story revolves around a generic soldier named Ragnar, who aims to make a difference in a large war. It contains 15 levels(13 chapters + the prologue and a gaiden), which is actually the same as the second-to-most-recent patch, which I played. The newest patch just makes massive changes to the gameplay and dialogue of the existing chapters. I honestly have to say that it needed it. Before, the gameplay and story could be described as "mediocre". But has it really improved? Is it a better hack now? We will find out!

The thread for the hack(and the patch) can be found here.

Also, I have a few notes I'd like to make:

1: I'll be doing the same prelude/gameplay/conclusion thing I did for Road to Ruin, at least after the first few chapters.

2: I wasn't able to get a growths sheet, so no character growths. Sorry :C

3: This hack is way better than Corrupt Theocracy, so you and I both will have to switch out of criticism mode.

2SFZivU.png

NEXT TIME, WE ACTUALLY START!

Edited by TheMoniker

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been playing this hack in my free time, and I have to say, it's pretty good. During the some of the dialogue portions it feels like it goes on for a bit too long sometimes. However, when it comes to the actual meat of the story, it's pretty satisfying. I've only gotten to chapter 5, but I can tell that this will be an enjoyable experience.

I hope this hack is actually at least mediocre, unlike Corrupted Theocracy

Trust me, it's way better than that mess. I'll still be criticizing it's problems, of course, but there's way less of them than there are in Corrupt Theocracy.

I've been playing this hack in my free time, and I have to say, it's pretty good. During the some of the dialogue portions it feels like it goes on for a bit too long sometimes. However, when it comes to the actual meat of the story, it's pretty satisfying. I've only gotten to chapter 5, but I can tell that this will be an enjoyable experience.

Yeah, the dialogue does go on a bit sometimes, but when you get into the meat of the story it's good.

Hello everyone. Time to dive into...

Death or Glory: Episode 1: Prologue: The Worst Tactics Ever

uVwXw6c.png

So, first, the prologue thing...

F9o0IYg.png

And then, suddenly...disembodied narrator voice!

???: They say it grows from the heart of men, and will forever bind them to a self-destructive nature. It is war that will burn as all.

RSZiJys.png

???: unparalleled military strength, they were nigh unstoppable. Kingdom after kingdom were razed to the ground and left ravaged. But, come the day Silvatica marched into Azalian territory, they were met with the first opposition to so much as halt their advance. The Azalians were a force to be reckoned with.

So, basically, some evil nation stormed around and started conquering people. But then, one nation didn't fall in ten seconds. Please, please tell me we get to play as Silvatica...

???: While small and not renowned for it’s own military might, the country of Azalia protects its borders with well trained and loyal soldiers.

2ZkXGko.pngyO7e6wD.png

???: He, along with his loyal soldiers, are no royal guard, nor are they nobles, princes, kings, or queens: they are soldiers. Soldiers who fight day in and day out for a country they love. But war cares not for rank or devotion. War cares only for the lives it can take.

And with that, we're thrown into the actual story!

Honestly, I think this scene would be much improved by having a map or something appear in the background. In fact, the whole of the hack would be improved if there was a map screen, because as it is now a lot of stuff doesn't make sense.

spE5seK.png

And we now see WOAH. That's a pretty great portrait! ...Not the green guy, the other one! I hope/wish he was the main lord...

Awesome black armor guy: At ease, soldier.

CSfCdy4.png

Green derp: They’re mounting an assault from all angles! The gates can’t hold out much longer.

ABAG: Dammit… Soldier, join the rear guard and tell them to bolster the defense. Send a runner to every unit we have, we’re going to need them.

Green derp: At once, sir!

Uh oh. Looks like Silvatica is attacking the main castle! The nation can't last long. They're probably already losing.

dkMR8HJ.pngOxugWYQ.png

And there's our main character! He has a pretty nice portrait too, although he really should get a helmet.

ABAG: Your platoon will hold the front gate. Do you have the numbers?

Ragnar: We are men of Azalia, general. No matter the opposition we will always succeed.

ABAG: Ragnar… You needn’t worry with bravado around me.

meiexoL.png

Only 10 or 20? Against the alleged might of Silvatica, it'll be tough, but my brilliant tactics can of course do it.

Ragnar: I do not know how long we will hold them.

ABAG: Hold them as long as you can. The Dragoons and I must see to the king.

Ragnar: Of course, General. We will hold out for as long as it takes.

Fg3Bquc.pngUCYd6n0.png

And then we move to the battle screen. Our boss for this chapter is this guy. He looks kinda...odd. Of course, that's a very nice portrait for a random earlygame boss.

Not a splice surprisingly: At once. Show them no quarter. I want the king’s head by sundown.

0ldMrhQ.png73ApfzK.png2MAHhQ2.pngIpIGErC.png

And so we see the standard green and redBLUE cavalier combo.

Ragnar: We… can’t expect reinforcements. This burden is on our shoulders and our shoulders alone.

Tero: Forgive me, Lieutenant, but do we have a chance of surviving this?

99BCqNI.png

Tero is entirely correct. See these two? They're the ONLY people Ragnar has with him. Earlygame or no, Azalia sent THREE PEOPLE to defend the FRONT GATE OF THE CASTLE. What? Isn't that where the enemy's attack would be strongest? Does Azalia's entire military consist of like, seven people?

Vidar: We haven’t a choice now, Tero. We retreat, we die. We stand and fight, and we might have a chance of surviving.

Tero: A chance? I can’t go out there knowing I probably won’t be coming back. Gods, Vidar, how can you be so calm about this?

Ragnar: Gather yourself, Tero. Vidar’s right. We don’t have a choice anymore.

Tero: We have a choice, Liuetenant. We can retreat. We can just walk away.

I declare him to be the worst soldier ever.

Ragnar: Dammit, Tero! Get a hold of yourself. Why is it that you joined this platoon in the first place? To run away at the first given chance?

Tero: …

Ragnar: Answer me! Why did you join? Why did you sign your life to Azalia? (that sentence was a text skip)

Tero: I joined to protect my family, sir! To protect them from anything that might happen.

Ragnar: And what is it you’re doing right now? Running away while these bastards knock down your front door? Where will they go next, Tero? No one will be safe from them. Even less so if we run today.

OhKlFIB.png

Tero: I lost sight of what’s really important.

Ragnar: Let it go. We’re all scared. You’d have to be be mad not to be.

35jnmiO.png

Yes, please! We're all eager to get to the fighting, but all this CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT keeps getting in the way!

Vidar: All this complaining and second-guessing is wearing on my last nerve.

Wm92rKu.png

Vidar: This is what I live for, sir. I will not lie down and let those dogs walk about my corpse.

Ragnar: Yes. Truer words have never been spoken. You know your orders men. We’re not to let a single Silvatican through.

No, this isn't a defense mission. The enemies gave no interest in "getting through".

Tero: Sir!

Vidar: Sir!

END DIALOGUE

i1xKXzg.png

So, we're finally into the first chapter! I can forgive lots of text because this is the beginning, but a LOT of the text scenes are roughly the same length as that one later on. I'm serious, it took me about a half-hour to transcribe the end of chapter 1. It kinda approaches Sacred Dawn DX levels, although it's still nowhere near as bad. It's not necessarily the game's fault, as the dialogue never truly feels bloated, it's just a heavy focus on story.

Anyways, let's get to the gameplay! I'm sure you're eager enough without me throwing paragraphs at you to further slow you down!

RkUBObB.png

Getting things set up. We're going with green windows this time.

rbFuCJM.png6L5J1d3.png3cRzCuh.png

If you didn't notice, Ragnar is a standard soldier. That's right, soldier lord! Kinda unorthodox, I must admit. Regardless, his stats seem pretty good.

7GaThFG.png

The Homyrius is your standard anti-everything lord weapon, but with 35 uses instead of 45. It's extremely helpful throughout the whole game, so you'll want to try to keep it around.

Also, the potions are vulneraries. They don't heal 15 HP, but an extra use is appreciated.

CI7U4s2.png94hTmvv.pngRZOvThk.png

QPwMr9l.pngjRbrkkN.pngpBw9gPt.png

Tero and Vidar are our lance/sword cavaliers, with according gear and specializations. You might want to give Tero's javelin to someone else, though.

9m0HPJp.pngnULKrKM.pngAu45fd3.png

The generics aren't notable. And that weird sprite is the new fighter sprite. It looks like an armored journeyman. I'm not sure how I feel about it yet...

icYFOJt.pngpbCsm52.pngDOGkttK.png

Gavri is down here, and his stats are only barely better than ours. A shot or two from the Homyrius will drop him quickly.

PLBz2BB.png

So, there aren't that many enemies around, but we barely have any units to counter them with.

HNIEAXI.pngWsDQ0EC.png

We'll start by having the cavs lure out people and use the weapon triangle.

KqkJpQw.pngMc0az5r.png

Vidar is slow, but tanky. This chapter would actually be way harder without his good DEF.

ulN8VWs.png

Tero is delicate, so...you better hope he can dodge!

upefgRm.png

Oh great. The two cavaliers next to the boss are coming.

x1vg5oB.pngor0M6pL.png

I kill/damage as much as I can, but...

WgLBIfI.png

Tero still ends up on the verge of death. And the cavaliers are here now.

V4PMYf8.png

Oh come ON!

PoriTTV.png

KILL HIM INSTEAD

jitc2Nf.png

Vidar and Ragnar back up to make... a makeshift Tero-shield!

Kg2TjI3.png

Vidar dutifully tanks everyone.

9RRG2Ji.png

Now we have to guard him...but the good news is, we survived the initial wave!

5NraE0H.png

And our very first level is...okay. I mean, this is probably a good stat to get...

QnbliRU.png

You better believe it!

Red derp: They are quite skilled, sir. It would appear they will be capable of holding the gate

UuNimvb.png

Dun dun dun?

ZrqhhFR.png

Red derp: Sir? You can’t mean to-

TPDT7rE.png

Red derp: …At once.

KCDfE4q.pngv92Kduj.png

So, it appears the boss has decided to be proactive! I guess we'll see how this plays out.

NIZRFpz.png

Aside from the boss, all that's left without the first wave is bait-and-switch.

XpG0S9b.png

Uh...okay! I'm...I'm sure this is alright!

dZOmRRF.png

We continue our strategy, this time luring out the fighter...

Z8oxOXO.png

Um...boss? It's been two turns? Are you gonna charge at us?

6WKPNUW.png

One rounding oh man.

KY6vu6u.png

Okay, I've been forgiving because I know I'm coming from Corrupt Theocracy, where all levels are amazing, but...this is ridiculous! Could one of you at least gain strength?

BuB1r0x.pngPudO3tM.png

ALL ACCORDING TO PLAN

Yeah, the boss moves, but only if you get in his range, it seems.

GI6ZphW.pngiJk9RJl.pngEpZ3veI.pngXyDUUrj.pngTNvQBcZ.pngdoN6Gvq.png

I probably shouldn't have taken so many pictures, but I kept expecting it to end!

YbJdzez.png

Ragnar weakens him greatly...

3pvBVAi.png

And Vidar takes the kill!

4JJB8g5.png

Gavri: I was… I wanted glory. I w-want my glory!

Too late now, derp!

fmHf4I6.png

And this guy is still here.

fWMCANQ.png

Vidar finishes the 8/10ths of a level he got from the boss, and actually gains strength!

iW8z6dA.png

So, it's IMPLIED there's more soldiers offscreen, but we never really see them.

Tero: Why? They outnumber us fifty to one.

Vidar: Cowards! Damn cowards the lot of them!

C6jMtPz.png

TYPO! TYPO! TYPO!

TY. PO.

Vidar: Hah! It’s exactly that. We’ve sent ‘em running with their tails tucked firmly between their legs.

Ragnar: …

Nuya8BN.png

Is it PROPHETIC dust? Can you make out images in it?

Ragnar: The east wall’s fallen, they’re flooding inside.

Tero: How the hell did they take down the whole castle wall?

Vidar: I’d say a ram. A damn BIG one.

Uh...that's some ram...

Ragnar: Dammit… We can’t leave the main gate unprotected.

Vidar: Forget the gate! I say we take the fight to ‘em!

Tero: Are you stupid, Vidar? They mean to slaughter everyone in their way!

Ragnar: No, Vidar’s right. We have to reinforce the eastern wall. They can’t stand against the main army for long.

And that's the story of the castle that left its main entrance entirely undefended for a reason that didn't involve a trap.

Tero: We best close the gates, then. Hopefully they can hold out.

Wait, what? WHY WEREN'T THEY CLOSED IN THE FIRST PLACE?

Ragnar: More to the point: Hopefully this isn’t a Silvatican ploy.

m3cZMUa.png

Wait, they're losing?

HgVUCDf.png

Oh, no wonder. Awesome guy is here.

ABAD: Perhaps we should give you rolling pins, hmm?

Red derp #2: Ugh… Dammit… Agh.

oUHVhqV.png

And suddenly, he's defected to our side!

Green derp 2#: The enemy is in full retreat, shall we pursue?

ABAD: No. We tend to our wounded and rebuild what was lost. Tell the men they have the general’s thanks. Without their bravery… we’ve of lost more than I care to think about.

Green derp 2#: Of course, General.

h8Qt1ud.png

You're too late, buddy!

Ragnar: They’ll reach the King over my dead body!

ABAD: …Ragnar, I think you’ll be hard pressed to find an enemy.

Ragnar: General! The enemy-

ABAD: Is gone, Ragnar. At ease.

Ragnar: What of the king? Is he safe?

ABAD: Worry not, King Erec is safe and under watch…

kcnqdHv.png

ABAD: Impressive.

Ragnar: It was a small force, General. Merely a distraction while the ram was set up.

ABAD: Hah! Don’t undercut yourself, Ragnar. You led those men to victory, and into the face of an even larger force. Quite commendable.

Ragnar: Thank you, General.

ABAD: Enough with the formalities. You have earned my respect, you needn’t worry. But tell me, did you truly think my Dragoon unit unable to hold the Silvatican forces?

65YUAdo.png

Note the smirk.

ABAD: Hah! And the stoic Ragnar makes a joke. Why, this is certainly a joyous day.

Xp7ggyP.png

Green derp #5: I come bearing word from His Majesty.

ABAD: Speak, runner.

Green derp 5#: He wishes for an audience with Lieutenant Ragnar immediately.

ABAD: Thank you, messenger.

So, the king wants to talk to us?

CEr84EF.png

ABAD: Best not to keep him waiting, Ragnar.

Ragnar: Of course, with your leave.

Bx9xJ3H.png8GMWVkh.png

Oh, hey. There's the king dude. He looks pretty nice, honestly.

Erec: See him in.

766HVDM.png

Erec: Ah, Lieutenant. Please, you need not be so formal. We’re all tired from today’s events. You, I’d imagine, even more so.

Ragnar: Think nothing of it, Your Majesty. It’s my duty.

Erec: No need to hide behind modesty, Ragnar. You’ve performed admirably today… Dare I ask your consul on a few matters?

Ragnar: If I can be of service, King Erec.

Erec: Thank you, Ragnar. Now, as I’m sure you’ve heard, Silvatica gave no warning before the assault. There was no provocation on our part either. So… why do you suppose it happened?

Ragnar: …A ploy for dominance perhaps?

Erec: Good, but not quite.

Did he call us here to give us a pop quiz?

Kidding, I know it's just how the exposition is shoehorned in.

Erec: Every kingdom knows the vastness of Silvatican military. They need not flaunt it like this.

Ragnar: Perhaps they seek our land? Our resources?

Erec: A reasonable assumption, Ragnar. But no. The truth, as I see it, is that Silvatica did not seek a single thing when they invaded our territory.

Ragnar: Your Majesty, surely they couldn’t of bene seeking death and chaos? Men don’t go wage war for nothing.

Erec: Ah, but times are changing, Ragnar. And why can they not have a reason? That is the question. Death and chaos is all they’ve peddled since they began their campaign.

Ragnar: What could King Iiro be thinking…

Erec: As of now; I have my own suspicions regarding the state of king Iiro. But, let us worry about our own doorstep for the moment. What Silvatica did went beyond the simple skirmish… This will surely become war.

Wait...

Wait...

This is...the START of the war for Azalia?

Okay, let me explain something.

Unless the castle was placed literally right next to the edge of a kingdom's territory(and it's not, it's placed in the middle, usually!), then the castle isn't the FIRST thing that gets attacked. It's the LAST thing. Usually, conquering an entire nation requires the conquering of several forts and towns, and marching across the territory of your enemy, at which point your enemy's army will engage you in several small skirmishes. When they actually make it to the castle, the enemy nation has probably already lost, or is very close to losing and can't win without UBER TACTICS(it's been done in history).

And yet, here, not only is the main castle and capital of the entire kingdom attacked FIRST(considering that it contains the king-without the king there, it could be assumed to be a fort near the borders, but nope, the king's definitely there), but apparently it came as a complete surprise, and Azalia is still in a position to fight back.

See, this is why I think the hack needs a map screen. It could either explain this a little(even if the castle being right next to an enemy's border contains about the same amount of logic) or make the nonsensicality of it all even more obvious.

Ragnar: But how are we supposed to defend against such a force?

Fs4lKzB.png

This hack plays a bit like a medieval war movie. I mean, if that wasn't obvious already.

Erec: Repairs have to be made and fortifications established. There is to be war, Ragnar, and war isn’t decided in a day.

It is if they attack the castle and kill the king on the first day, which very nearly happened, apparently.

Ragnar: Of course.

Erec: But you, Ragnar, you need to head for Zerenus and meet with Urien. They are our closest ally, and if we are to have a hope of victory, we’ll need their help.

Ragnar: Your Majesty, while it is an honor, I cannot leave Azalia in good conscious.

Erec: You needn’t worry, Ragnar. You’ll be appointed official envoy and have access to all rights therein.

ieM5EuJ.png

YES! GIVE!

Erec: You’ll not have access to any large force. Nor will you have access to the Dragoon unit. As of now, Azalia needs every able bodied soldier it can get.

Ragnar: What of my platoon, my King?

Erec: Most will stay behind. What we can spare is the two you led into battle this morning. It makes my heart heavy to see you off with only two soldiers—

Wait...Ragnar had a full platoon with more troops before this? And they were just sort of...not there... in the battle we just fought? What?

Ragnar: No. Don’t hold yourself responsible. I’d go by myself if I knew those two wouldn’t cause trouble without me.

Erec: Hah! Yes, you’ve raised some fine soldiers there, Ragnar. You’ll make a brilliant general one day.

Ragnar: Thank you, King Erec.

Erec: Now, it is a heavy burden which you bear, and I cannot guarantee your safety. But, I wish you luck, Lieutenant. The fate of Azalia is in your hands.

Ragnar: I’ll make preparations to leave at sunrise. I will not fail you, Your Majesty. And I will not fail Azalia.

g4Yxt0R.png

OH MAN was that a long dialogue sequence! And there's gonna be ANOTHER long one come next chapter! Ah, man...this hack has so much text...

VPx5a99.png

The good news is, we get this rather inadequate amount of gold. Better than nothing, but we won't get an opportunity to spend it for like 4 chapters.

NDHmVMb.png

NEXT TIME: A semi-clever but rather annoying gimmick!

I must warn you, that update is/was massively long.

Pffft those levels. I had to experiment a little to get something decent (not great mind you). If those levels keep up it might as well be a 0% growths playthrough.

My God those levels...I remember my Ragnar hitting like a truck, but couldn't really dodge or take a hit orz, while Vidar was just plain awesome, like a Knight but with Cavalier movement.

Anyways, glad to see you're playing this! I have a real soft spot for this hack, it's just so much fun to play~

Too bad Guntram's badass helm makes him so fuckin' short D;

I can't unsee it!

The characters stand out and the banter's pretty good, so this should be a fun read even if the levels don't co-operate.

I just finished transcribing the beginning of chapter 3 and the Word Document I'm using to store all this stuff is 20 pages long, AFTER I deleted the prologue dialogue. The dialogue for this prelude amounts to 4 pages! Do you have any idea how long it takes to type all that? Someone please shoot me now.

Pffft those levels. I had to experiment a little to get something decent (not great mind you). If those levels keep up it might as well be a 0% growths playthrough.

Honestly, is a 0% growths playthrough actually possible? Like, has it been done before with the new patch? Because the levels don't get better. Not for a long while.

Too bad Guntram's badass helm makes him so fuckin' short D;

And could I ask why Ragnar needs a helmet? To hammer in the whole Soldier-Lord thing?

Yeah, that's it. Although his portrait looks fine as-is.

The CHAPTER 1 PRELUDE:

zU3sRa2.png

So, are you all ready?

9g0wbyn.png

Unfocused red man: You put on a marvelous struggle. ‘Tis a shame you lost like all the others.

Zerenus leader(?): Go to hell, Silvatican bastard.

So, yeah. Zerenus has already had its capital conquered, even though for some reason many of its forts are still standing. Please refer to my past comment about attacking the castle first, because that's how it worked here.

Honestly, if Zerenus got conquered THAT EASILY, I'm not sure I want them as allies...

URM: Hah! You truly are a tough old codger, aren’t you? Keep barking, I’m sure it’ll spare your life.

Zerenus leader(?): Why? Just tell me why you started this senseless war with my people?

URM: Hmm? Why? Hah! That’s for the higher ups to worry about, King Urien. I’m just a simple middle man who likes what he does. And what I do, is kill people.

Urien: …Hah. You know, it’s men like you who I’ve sent to the gallows. In fact, it’s men like you who I blew down on my way to be king. Simple-minded-monkey-men.

URM: Best watch your tongue, least I cut it out.

Urien: Will you now? Hmph. I’d be astounded if you can wipe your rear end without being ordered.

Why? Why are you insulting the guy?

u1wKBSN.png

Much as I hate to say it, evil dude is right.

URM: You’ve lost.

Urien: Yes, what you say is true… Yet, if you think we will lay down and let you walk about our dying bodies, I’m afraid you’re very wrong.

Didn't they already do that?

URM: Oh, heaven forbid! I wouldn’t have it any other way. You see, I’ve hardly had my fill of fun. I would love to see you and your worms struggle.

Urien: Bastard! I’ll slit your throat myself.

With what? Your bare hands?

0jFTgXj.png

Red derp #7: The lookouts report of a group marching towards us. They bear the Azalian mark.

Annnnd that would be us. Too late. Us being too late will become a theme, although we will occasionally arrive JUST IN TIME!

X6b09PH.png

URM: Looks as if there’s still some fun to be had.

Urien: …

URM: And you know what will be more fun? Sending some of your meek little citizens out there.

Enter this chapter's gimmick!

Urien: If you touch them, I will hunt you to the ends of this world.

lthBrfD.png

Once again, yeah.

URM: Not now, and not in the very distant future.

Urien: …Nothing will save you.

URM: Hah, keep barking. I’m almost positive they’ll look dashing in our armor.

FUAFKvN.png49cwfyJ.png

URM: And I want it on the civilians big enough to walk with the weight.

Red derp 11#: Sir!

URM: And if they struggle snap the necks of their families.

EEEVVIIILLLL!

0BukMp1.pnguayNgUR.png

Tons of people go everywhere.

MJ7S71N.pngTGcQBZ1.png

Red derp 20#: Listen up, you cur! You’re to get into this gear and fight out there.

Civiman: B-but I don’t know how to wield a weapon.

Red derp 20#: What does it matter? You can learn. Don’t make me say it again! Get out there now or the boy dies!

Civiman: N-no! Leave him out of this!

Red derp 20#: Hurry it up!

ox9dMex.pngUMcr9Va.pngHq6HuJc.png

6nL4OaQ.png

Some soldiers come out of the forts.I'll explain more about this when the chapter starts, although you can probably guess...

qeVfJOz.pngXo1CTBh.png

Ragnar: Speak freely, Tero. The need for formalities is dwindling.

Tero: Yes. We’re nearing the river crossing. We’ll be within sight of the keep once we cross.

Ragnar: Good. I believe we’ve made brilliant time. If we continue at this rate, we should make the keep within the hour.

Tero: If all goes well, perhaps. I’ve a feeling trouble is awaiting us.

*Red soldiers surround the group*

Dude: I have a feeling trouble is awaiting us...

Failed a spot check much?

Vidar: Hah! And should I be surprised with you, Tero? Ever the cautious warrior.

iqRjPdi.png

Tero: And what does that make you? Some fearless soldier who laughs in the face of death? Or just an idiot who’ll lose his life twenty years earlier than most?

Vidar: It makes me more than you. Where will you be when Silvatica holds your family? Hmm? Running to the damn hills. But me, I will be fighting for what I believe in.

Tero: Dammit, Vidar! I’m not some coward. Stop telling me that being cautious is some flaw.

Vidar: Oh, my friend. You are so much more than cautious.

Banter banter banter!

8234sqF.pngTL1G4A4.png

THANK you!

Tero: …

Vidar: …

tooEIiN.png

Ragnar: …Seems like Tero can see into the future.

Or 5 feet in front of his face.

Vidar: Orders, sir?

Ragnar: We’ll hold. They’re coming towards us. best we wait to see what’s going on.

jATpDE0.png

And then the green cleric just sort of walks through all the enemies.

HV4Fibu.png

Downcast cleric lady: Would you stop me, soldier? Do you owe allegiance to Silvatica?

Ragnar: Not on my life, ma’am. We’re Azalian spldiers.

DCL: Azalia? Thank the Gods.

Ragnar: What’s wrong? Why were you running?

yevg9hO.png

She just sort of text skips through some stuff and it stops here. Not sure if it's intentional.

Ragnar: What? What of the king?

DCL: …I do not know. All I heard was his voice. Oh! We must hurry and ride for help.

Ragnar: My lady, you needn’t worry. My men and I will drive them out.

9av68RE.png

Ragnar: Hah, but we’re a good handful. We’ll clear this rabble out.

The BEST handful!

DCL: But surely-

Vs3ljP9.png4e0jkPG.png

I wonder if these cutscenes change when these two are dead? I don't think they're game over characters...

AmCDmFP.png

Rinoa: …Berta? Is that you, Berta?

Berta: Oh, Sister Rinoa! They took him! They took my George!

Ragnar: Calm yourself, ma’am. Tell us what happened.

Berta: Some Silvatican soldiers barged in and took him. They said he’d have to fight. Daryl was taken to, and so was Martha’s husband Roderick.

Ragnar: It would appear Silvatica is arming themselves for an enemy force.

N8pSN8O.png

Berta: Please, sir, you can’t hurt my husband. I beg of you, don’t hurt him.

Ragnar: We’ve no intention of harming the villagers. You needn’t worry.

Berta: No, you don’t understand. They’ve dressed them all in red armor. You won’t be able to tell them apart!

Indeed. I'll talk about this soon enough, don't worry.

Vidar: Calm yourself, lady. Untrained soldiers are noticeable. Most of the time it’s by the wet

YFaLgdp.png

No idea what he means by this. The civilian generics don't have any special sprites/animations.

Berta: But-

SOMHZvb.pngUjHEIOI.png

Okay, that's slightly better advice.

Berta: Please don’t hurt them.

eVjierN.png

Ragnar: Seems to be a mature side about you two after all.

bwAsw6g.png

Rinoa: No. I’m not some precious flower. I can help.

Ragnar: Hmm? But you are not armed, and we haven’t any extra weapons.

Rinoa: I’m a lady of the faith, good soldier. I can heal wounds in a heartbeat.

Considering the numbers we're fighting against, we need healing, so this is good!

Ragnar: Be that as it may, I can’t guarantee your protection. It’s for the best if you stay back.

Rinoa: It’s a shame, but I’ll have to disagree. Their numbers are great, sir, and you’ll need me to heal the inevitable wounds.

Ragnar: …How is it that Zerenus fell with women as strong willed as yourself amongst their number? I want you to stay out of the enemies sight at all times, we’ll come to you if we need healing.

Rinoa: Gladly, sir.

Ragnar: Please, call me Ragnar.

END DIALOGUE

1ZyvmZG.png

And we finally finally FINALLY actually get to play the game!

tvMyA0n.png8vG3tVK.pngb7J0LyE.png

First, Rinoa. She's a renamed cleric, with a buffed heal stave(those 10 extra uses are VERY helpful, although I honestly would prefer to actually have a shop come up soon...), and pathetic MAG, as all earlygame clerics are. Still, we need those heals.

lZ2USPb.png

Okay, so. Let's talk about the chapter's gimmick. See all the soldiers around? They're civilians. If you kill them, you'll get lectured at the end of the chapter, but if you save them, you get a reward.

PwGuLT8.png

They all have incredibly weak stats, but...this is earlygame, so it's not NOTICEABLY weak. If you aren't paying attention to the dialogue, it's easy to just assume they're normal and murder them all. Most of them don't move, but they have javelins, are placed in position that are VERY annoying, and are MORE than willing to attack their own allies.

Seriously, I would like this chapter way better if there was some way to actually stop the civilians. Maybe talk to them once the enemies around them are cleared out, tell them its okay, they can go?

ga5Uhpa.pngZXuETRg.png

Compounding the problem is that there are some normal soldiers who AREN'T civilians around, and the only noticeable stat difference is HP! If you just assume that all soldiers are civilians, well, I hope you're okay with this guy following you around the whole chapter while you desperately try not to murder him!

EGz3eGR.png

Also, why do these guys who just picked up a lance have a C rank? Ragnar is a fully trained soldier and he has a D rank!

nrH4LGa.png5Q3R24J.png

Slivick is the boss, and he's another cavalier. Again, he'll be easily beaten with the Homyrius.

NEXT TIME: The most annoying civilians ever

Death or Glory: Episode 2: Chapter 1: Annoyances and Murder

QB00G0G.png

We start by killing the non-civilian soldier next to us.

j6eMl1U.png

Rinoa has a really gray palette. Including on her staff.

213XVoE.png

Ragnar tanks out the initial wave of enemies, but pain is had.

ZW4JSr8.pngYVPslvw.png

Oh what? That guy moves? Guess he wasn't a civilian!

Anyways, he's the last non-civilian soldier, so every soldier left is one we can't kill.

0NHdugO.png

ACCURATE ENEMIES YOU SAY

f6VzGG0.png

End of the second turn. We're moving forward, but quite slowly.

twa9pfo.png69RuxDf.png

Berta: then a man walks in and takes my husband away from me… Please, bring my husband back unharmed. I don’t know what I’ll do without him…

QqVP6ZH.png

And with that, the cavaliers are upon us now, and it's going to be difficult to hurt them without being in range of the civilian's javelin...

5Krgatf.png

So we pull back. Make them come to us.

iI2BIU6.png

Ragnar DESTROYS the whole lower half of this fool.

yaPuiHT.png

G-gasp...a good level!

UNCWiHt.png

Tero(or Vidar, I forget) grabs our cleric and hides up there, we can't have her getting hit!

0BquBcT.png

I don't do this engagement, but I'd like to say how easy it can be to kill these guys, yet not so easy you KNOW you aren't supposed to kill that enemy. It's kinda misleading.

What happens if you attack one?

ge4cL6C.png

Okay, I caught the screenshot at a derpy time, but the animation is totally unchanged. No "never leaves their side" lances or anything like that.

Qf2WTiJ.png

I savestate back, and Tero gets ANOTHER level with no useful stats.

sNaAyPO.png

Yeah, that civilian-soldier just happens to cover the range of the house. You need to use a cavalier to canto out of there.

See, another reason I don't like this gimmick is because most of the time it isn't really dangerous. It's just ANNOYING.

htoH3FA.png

Et tu, Rinoa?

dxbLS0Y.pngQkwyMV8.png

Old dude: Three! I don’t know about you, but that seems impossible. I mean, how can they be in three places at once, and still be here? I wouldn’t believe it. I’m not going to anyway.

48GSXi4.png

I guess it's useful exposition... Note that they actually assimilate the military/civilians of each kingdom they conquer, and we'll see the effects of this later.

GkJWfFX.png

Vidar, being awesome, gets another level with useful stats.

cEiLSWE.png

So annoying...

DWogpMd.png

I have Ragnar kill one just for fun. Nothing happens, but in the old patch, you'd get a game over if you killed so much as one of these guys. Yeah, it's annoying.

eAlRzK6.pngSCKi4BW.png

We just have to keep dealing with it...moving past that first soldier without getting hurt is nearly impossible...

mnoo7Ld.png

Apparently, some more cavs came from the forts when I wasn't looking. Use camera scroll, please!

njU3B4b.pngSbdeGmO.png

We get to fighting them, and Rinoa gets a level with magic, if nothing else useful!

SRkzBwM.png

So, now we have to figure out how to move up. The only one nearby is the guy on the fort, so we shouldn't have too much trouble.

s0xcqVa.png

Oh, what? They have short spears? That's the tier 2 throwing spear! They shouldn't be around yet! Much less on civilian soldiers!

JCPbHHu.png

Also, I haven't done a good job of showing the new icons. So here's one.

iJBIfyL.png

This guy has an iron lance, and is out of the way. We should be f-

ftugtO2.pngmUvYiNt.png

OH CRAP HE MOVES

Before I can even react, Ragnar's killed the guy and gotten a level.

Okay, so. First, you make this annoying civilian gimmick. You clearly establish at the beginning that the civilians don't MOVE, they just throw javelins at you, and as long as you don't get too close you're good.

Then, suddenly, the civilian soldiers DO start moving, with no real indication! If I haven't been blatantly abusing savestates, I could have had to reset the whole chapter to that BS!

TlbvkiO.png

Okay, so. Doing things differently this time. Like visiting this house.

K9MOCke.png

Red lady: I’m begging you; please find him before he’s hurt. He can’t fight; he can barely lift a weapon. If he does get hurt, please, give him this. I’m so worried…

9glZYgD.png

This is the only house with an actual reward, which is kind of annoying seeing how hard they are to get to.

QxF4sES.png

There's one more house, and it's the hardest of all because it's in range of both of these moving soldiers.

wWaELZv.pngiKy4UXR.png

Boy from earlier: I thought you were my dad… …

CClQ16X.pngKKp5dFv.png

Yes Tero, I agree, this gimmick COULD be executed better!

CSDCK0a.png

Okay, last non-civilian enemy...

yPAcemE.png

Well...he glossed over the two stats he really needed...but okay!

DIu27wt.png

Ragnar/Rinoa literally CAN'T move past the range of this guy(remember, the moving guy covers the way forward), so you NEED a cavalier to ferry them through if you want to avoid PAIN.

UnFW2g3.png

Okay, okay, maybe I was exaggerating with the bad levels.

998TC2s.png

Alright, everyone's through. Now we just have to kill the boss.

1rsZ7F8.png

I'll have him wait it out...

And yeah, that civilian soldier will attack anyone who engages the boss at 1 range. Yes. Yes it is annoying.

w5ZI3J5.png

Ragnar: Men like you are nothing but bluster. You may flap your mouth all you like, but I’ll let this lance do my talking.

Slivick: Bark, bark, bark! You remind me of that fool king.

vQtGlex.png

Ragnar takes damage, but deals PLENTY in response.

pZ2osgJ.png

Another attack on player phase finishes things.

Kdeuhp3.pngvYpRlEh.pngmPdy8Pa.png

I don't get it either.

l0hlZAi.png

I do some healgrinding before leaving.

QuBxv2X.png

For the record, this is probably the most enemies I've had to leave alive on a siege map.

pmw2sVK.png

But we are LEAVING!

NEXT CHAPTER: The mercy the game was having on me, level-wise, disappears. Also, the scale of the battles gets massively inflated!

The CHAPTER 1 CONCLUSION!

7n9dPw4.png

Rinoa: Gods above.

f24JZCR.png

Rinoa: Oh, King Urien! Are you alright?

Urien: Yes. Fine. The bastard clouted me one before he left.

Rinoa: Allow me to heal you.

Urien: No. You needn’t worry. You have to get out of here, Rinoa. Surely Silvatica has claimed the capital.

This wasn't the capital? Then why is the king here?

Rinoa: Silvatica is gone, your Majesty. We were saved by Azalia.

Urien: What? More detail, girl.

Rinoa: Ragnar and his platoon were travelling to meet you. I happened upon them and they agreed to rid us of Silvatica. They were like demons on the battlefield, Your Majesty.

Urien: …Send for this Ragnar.

qGzmuvk.png

Urien: Ragnar…

YvZv6Kj.pngXt44Lsj.png

It's nice to at least be given a shred of respect from everyone else for work we do, actually.

Ragnar: It is an honor, but please rise.

YxEUvll.png

Man, why does everyone keep telling him that?

Urien: You must realize the whole of Zerenus is in your debt?

Ragnar: It’s my duty to protect those in need.

Urien: *text skip* so far before a person is forced to show their true colors, no? But let’s not get strung up on the agendas of man. What is it that brought an Azalian platoon to Zerenus?

Ragnar: I’ll cut to the chase, Your Majesty. My men and I come on behalf of King Azalia. We seek an alliance in response to the growing Silvatican threat.

Urien: Yes, I assumed as much.

Ragnar: Azalia was assaulted by a Silvatican unit some nights ago. The attack was fended off, yet we lack the numbers to resist the certain all-out war.

Urien: As I’m certain Zerenus does too. An alliance is the best course of action for our survival.

Ragnar: Indeed. That’s why, on behalf of the Azalian Kingdom, I, Ragnar, Lieutenant of the First Platoon of Azalia knights, official envoy to King Erec Kestrel, formally request the alliance of the Zerenus kingdom.

So many titles!

tR0I3cl.png

Urien: If he’s desperate enough to send you out here to confirm it? I cannot begin to fathom the threat Silvatica holds.

Ragnar: …I’ve faced them twice in battle now. It’s difficult to explain, but they’re different. Not soldiers who fight for a cause. They fight with anger and rage. As if killing is what they were bred for.

I bet this is important somehow later.

Urien: Yes, there is a mysterious air surrounding that nation and it’s people. A thick air of death and destruction. You’d do well to ride back to your king and inform him of the alliance and what’s happened here.

Alright, time to head back to the allied nation.

LW9MGwS.pngzQl1TmY.png

Uh oh.

Urien: Then speak, soldier.

PA7mnOQ.png

Purp derp: They’re in drastic need of reinforcements. Fort Xinus can’t hold out much longer.

Oh. Well, I guess we're going to rescue them next.

Urien: Dammit! We haven’t the man power to spread ourselves so thin!

vfyqAxC.png

Urien: No. No, your own country needs aid.

Ragnar: I have to differ, King Urien. You are our allies. If I ride out and abandon you in your time of need, where will our own reinforcements come from? This war calls upon us all to carry those in need.

Urien: …Hah! That old crow of yours must be counting his lucky starts to have a soldier like you.

Ragnar: Then you will allow my men to reinforce your own?

Urien: Allow? I ought to kneel before you again!

Ragnar: I’m not above begging you to not.

Urien: Ever the modest soldier I see. Truly you are one of a kind, Ragnar. Don’t ever lose that spark.

Ragnar: Of course not, King Urien. We will ride immediately.

r9c3b55.png

Yes please! GIVE.

Ragnar: You needn’t worry—

Urien: Rinoa! I know you’re eavesdropping outside that door.

zsl3ht9.png

Oh, it's just that character who was already gonna join us anyway.

Urien: Hah! My foot! Perhaps a punishment is in order, hmm?

Rinoa: …

Urien: Oh, please. Don’t give me that face. I want you to accompany Ragnar.

Ragnar: Lord, while I agree that Rinoa is a great boon to have in any circumstance, your injured soldiers need her more than we do.

Urien: I disagree, Ragnar. We have a handy number of clerics at our disposal. And I’m sure our lovely Rinoa would’ve followed you anyhow.

Rinoa: You know me too well, King Urien. I know you’re too stubborn to think about dying without me.

Urien: That I am! And since that’s settled; I have one more gift to impart. Here, Ragnar.

Ragnar: What? This is gold, Your Majesty. Surely you can’t expect me to accept this much?

Urien: I do and you will. Think of it as the first installment of our alliance. And I know that king of yours is just waiting for me to pay back the debt I owe. Never play cards with that man. Take my word for it.

Ragnar: I will…avoid that in the future.

Rinoa: Forgive me, but perhaps we should ride out before poor Donwick loses his life?

Urien: Indeed! If not for you, Ragnar, we’d of been lost. You’re our savior. The people will worship you, as will the soldiers. We’re all depending on you, Ragnar.

Ragnar: And your faith shall not be misplaced. Come, Rinoa, we ride!

SO MANY WORDS.

I9fCZen.png

Because we're awesome, of course.

Well, we're finally do-oh wait, there's one more scene.

1SSefxc.png

Berta: May the gods favor you and your men.

Ragnar: Pardon?

Husbando: Your men and yourself… Gods! You spared them all! I ask not how you knew, but praise you, sir. I praise you for all you’ve done.

Ragnar: …You needn’t thank me.

Husbando: Modesty will do you no justice, kind sir.

Berta: Would you accept this gift? Please, we beg.

Ragnar: No, keep your coin. We need it not.

Husbando: We must insist. It is from the thankful hearts of all those you saved today.

Berta: We have not given beyond our means, do not worry.

Ragnar: I… I thank you, then. Your gift will be used wisely.

Husbando: Bless you, sir! May the Gods ease your journey.

wsHb72c.png

Berta: We will be making a journey to Azalia some day soon. We would give a proper thanks.

YjkguOy.png0J263hy.pngzfnXHFx.png

Heh. Anyways, the gold from the villagers and Urien somehow only adds up to 3000. That isn't that much. And no, we won't have an opportunity to spend a single piece for a while yet.

5ZDz7sw.png

So, I get curious and murder ALL the civilians, just to see if the dialogue changes.

meqJE3R.png

And of COURSE we get a fantastic level while doing it.

lpmSurn.png

And when I'm done, the first cutscene is changed, but the second one...

uWUEI2I.pngr79rqgM.pngvVZHyH2.png

Ragnar: Ma’am… I didn’t-

awGqtXF.pngrzJJt6Z.png

Kinda odd dialogue bubbles there...

qS2Eugu.png7skyCjz.png

Dude who somehow lived: We all lost someone to your men this day. It will…it will not be forgiven easily.

1eb8Ybh.pngibvZrTq.png

And then we get NO gold, despite the fact that Urien allegedly gave us some. I think the reward is 500 per civilian saved. But if you aren't concerned about money, the soldiers actually give good XP at this point in the game...

No, just kidding. I go back to my savestate where everyone was saved.

fdrkWab.png

You ready to save a fort?

Actually it's 375 per civilian.

DeathorGlory46-1.png

This is what I got for killing three. If you kill some but not all you get a more forgiving cutscene. And yeah it's a dick move to have the 1-range civvies move, but at least it's not an instant reset!

Actually it's 375 per civilian.

DeathorGlory46-1.png

This is what I got for killing three. If you kill some but not all you get a more forgiving cutscene. And yeah it's a dick move to have the 1-range civvies move, but at least it's not an instant reset!

375 gold? Okay, that's a bit of an odd number, but I guess it lines up with the civilian numbers.

Also, before I begin, I'd like to give a big shoutout to PureHeaven, who gave me all the game's text in .txt form! This will decrease my suffering greatly, and increase the speed at which I can record! Thanks a bunch!

The CHAPTER 2 PRELUDE!

wYJ3saK.png

We begin the chapter and right away zoom into...

DuRKg7l.png

Fort Zerenus, being sieged! Who's the hero guy?

Kg6cpw5.png

Unblinking crazy dude: Doesn’t it make you feel warm inside?

Why, the best character in the game of course! It isn't shown here, but trust me...

Hero man: It does, sir. My guts full of butterflies, sir.

u0qRGYW.pngM0AfCHZ.png

He's the best.

Hero man: Yes it is, sir.

IqHrhZ3.png

He doesn't...blink.His eye just sort of...spazzes out.

UCD: No no no! Not good.

Hero man: May I suggest that you leave this in my hands, sir?

UCD: Hmm? Hahaha! In ‘your hands’? Why don’t I leave it on your head, hmm?

Hero man: Sir, I don’t-

UCD: So if you fail I’ll take it. Take it! Head or hands?

Hero man: My… Sir…-

Vimal's reaction makes it even better.

ics84vQ.pngx4gBPiY.png

UCD: Hahaha!

Hero man: S-Sir y-you needn’t-

UCD: Oh but I do need. I do. ‘Cause it would be good. So GOOD!

XHyilKH.pngpkPCtek.png

So, unfortunately, he's left us with this normal guy. Meh.

OqDjKTl.png

Hero man: and dare I say I know what will happen if we fail. Get more men out here, now!

ivv2g5V.png

So, let's switch perspective to the guys under siege...

Ykwv0RU.png

Donwick: Bloody bastards.

jM5iKWF.png

Awesome headband bro: We won’t have two too rub together soon.

dLBqx25.png

So everyone, meet OUR LORD AND SAVIOR(unless he was nerfed), the fighter character for the game! In the previous patch, he would always turn into "the guy who did all the work" for everyone that played it, due to his great growths and bases, and general usefulness, not to mention having a large variety of axes to choose from later on.

You gotta have blue hair: I’m all for dying in battle, but I want to be a grey old man by then.

Donwick: Hah! A grey old man with an axe in his hand. That’ll be the day… A day very far from now, my friend. Kai, what of the front guard? How many remain?

t7qUaE9.png

Yeah, there used to be one line of knights, which would never last long, but now there's two, which makes the whole thing much more survivable.

Kai: Two are still stationed inside.

YGHBH: What’s the plan, tin can?

Donwick: …We hold out. Or we die trying.

YGHBH: A solid plan, I like it.

Kai: I feel good, sir. Oddly good. Is this what it’s like to know you’re going to die?

Donwick: I don’t know, Kai, and I don’t plan on learning today.

Kai: Perhaps we ought to keep alive for just a little longer then?

YGHBH: Sounds good to me. We aren’t dead yet, not by a long shot.

Kai: A long shot? I feel like I’ve got a few of those in me.

No, he doesn't have a siege bow. There aren't any ballistae around either, for that matter. You know, that would actually be a nice addition...

YGHBH: What say you, Kai? Are you for a little bit of tactical crashing and banging?

Kai: I bring the lightning-

YGHBH: And I’ll smash the thunder!

Hxm5ib9.png

And with that...

T7N4v6K.png

The reinforcements arrive!

veIi3zK.png

Rinoa: To the south of this river the battle will be waging.

Ragnar: Yes, I see it, and quite a bit of smoke. It would seem they’re surrounded.

Rinoa: Then we must ride! There isn’t any time to waste.

3YZUbZL.pngh4AQpXd.png

Yeah, don't go off by yourself! You're the only cleric we have, and that won't change anytime soon!

Rinoa: My apologies.

Ragnar: Let it lay. Now, what’s Xinus set up like?

Rinoa: A single entrance. It is only vulnerable to assault from the front.

Ragnar: Are you positive? Very rarely anything is so simple.

Rinoa: …Perhaps the river is emptying in these hot days. but I doubt if it is anything to warrant worry.

Believe it or not, it'll be important enough to warrant worry later.

Ragnar: Hmm. Best if we keep an eye on it.

LZ3ouju.png

Ragnar: Make a beeline for the keep and reinforce Donwick’s men. If the enemy is in your way, ignore them. Bolstering fort Xinus is our main priority.

You can try that strategy in-game. It won't work.

NpSF2yB.png

Ragnar: Do not rush off under any circumstance. Same as before: we come to you for healing.

Rinoa: Of course, Lieutenant.

END DIALOGUE

NMtnTkT.png

Here we go. The troops down there turned blue, and we have to survive for...EIGHTEEN turns? What? That's an insanely long defense mission! Ah well, best start looking at the tools at our disposal...

MyuIFQr.png

So, basically, Ragnar and his group have to traipse allllll the way around the river before they can make it(why are there enemies stationed on the path?). It will take LOTS of turns, so you'd best make sure Agro and Kai plan to survive for the long haul.

xaNKgWR.png9dJkujM.pngHTo4xBJ.png

Kai is the first archer we get. His stats are anything but useless, especially in the position he finds himself in. He'll be serving us faithfully for as long as we need him to.

i8rfUSR.png

Also, the Kimera bow is...kinda useless. It has the same/less Mt than an iron bow,and is effective against JUST cavaliers...but even if he's attacking them, it only has 1 more Mt than the steel bow. Really, just stick with the steel bow unless you really need that extra AS/hit.

xmiIbf3.pngzrm18eO.pngpI5iwQP.png

Introducing the best unit in the game(I hope), AGRO! He doesn't look like much now, but believe me, he will become much later on!

A versatile starting inventory helps too, of course.

AXFvQmc.pngFIa8vHX.pngs5pi6Iq.png

Donwik will be joining us next chapter, but for now, he's a tough green knight that needs to survive. Mind you, standing on a gate with high defense and a potion, he's just not really all that killable.

Also, note the high weapon ranks. Seriously, a B this early on? Wow.

1sEGKIV.pngrMIhJsF.png

The friendly mooks are slightly weaker, but still good enough to last against the oncoming horde.

q97hlya.pngpN4qkkQ.png

Vimal is our boss, and of course he gives us a nice little reward if we kill him. However, keep in mind that we have had no less than three opportunities to get money so far, and no more than ZERO opportunities to spend a single penny! When are we gonna get shops?

Also, dare I say it, that red gem sprite looks...kinda bad. I liked the old one better. Just my opinion, of course.

1hun0qq.png

The other new item is the Khanjar, which is one of the three new reaver weapons in the game. Expect to be seeing this and more reaver weapons a LOT down the road. The hack maker was VERY fond of them.

QYEKTOx.pngeSBbk6v.pngoHH5JNI.png

A droppable iron sword and some more new icons for you.

T7CdXt3.png

Finally, the mooks have started leveling up! They'll be tough to handle, especially considering how much the game's been screwing us over!

NEXT TIME: We "rescue" Fort Zerenus!

Death or Glory: Episode 3: Chapter 2: Part 1: Knights of Failure

pXJ1Vql.png

Could this possibly be more pathetic? Stupid Tero.

lhlmZUU.png

Here's what Kai and Agro are going to do for the first few turns.

BnqvBQ8.png

PATHETIC

1tsqg9m.png

Oh, of course.

KlqOdNJ.png

And it happens again on ally phase. Stupid greenies.

sNAt8CB.png

Kai gets his first kill. Like the palette!

zvMlZWV.png

Oh, hello! Didn't notice you before!

He4fTim.png

Looks like axe cavaliers are in this hack too! From what I can tell their stats tend towards being tankier than the ordinary cavalier generics. However, they're kinda less useful because they get one weapon rank while the other kind gets two...

1203FXz.png

Go Agro go! You're our best hope!

z0CPS4O.png

Such...a bad level...

FTeWRZW.png

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

ioIMd8h.pngLNET2sk.png

No one can kill him, but he can't kill anyone either!

Actually, I think he died after that last combat round...

of14NTc.png

The lance one, however, is faring much better.

GyIDs5F.png

Even when I'm targeting the right enemy, the Kimera bow still isn't that great.

fzq8bhC.pngcHMiqke.png

See? Told you he's the best unit.

cFvSoqT.pngXtkFUuh.png

Kai does an epic dodge, but the first line of knights is nearly dead...

easat6l.pngOhGaBTF.png

*sobs*

XwpkTxk.png

TOTALLY DIDN'T RNG ABUSE OR ANYTHING

mrcl06n.png

Guess that this level is? NOT...MAGIC!

dRpZhR4.png

The archer that Agro failed to injure kills another knight.

UUG6KHQ.png

Vimal: Speak.

Red derp #52: The scouts report of some men charging from the north.

Vimal: Reinforcements?

Red derp #52: They don’t appear to be of Zerenus, sir, but I wouldn’t discount the possibility.

Vimal: Shit! Get more men out there, block ‘em off before they can reach Xinus. My neck’s already on the damn line, but I don’t want my balls to be as well.

Red derp #52: Sir!

tPn65Iy.pngDlYx81B.png

And then some cavaliers come, right as it looks like we were gonna have a bit of breathing room! Yeah, this chapter really just keeps you constantly under threat. And in a defense mission, that's a good thing.

v438s46.png

We'll have to get behind the next knight line.

729gIg6.png

It's been a while since I gave a status update for the other group, but they're moving towards the fort at a forced slow pace. The terrain and the enemies in the way make it hard to hurry, and now we've got a chokepoint to get through!

tdEjPji.png

IT FINALLY DIDN'T HAPPEN OHHHH

Nu3VMEE.png

THIS STUPID ARCHER

N0zD0CM.png

Also, we killed that fighter blocking the bridge...

nfBbsvi.png

BUT THERE'S MORE DUDES THERE NOW

72nAzpv.png

Greenies=1, enemies=2.

jaG8DWF.png

Kai gets his first level, and it's awesome because strength.

pPzlCEx.pngBOWTbGQ.png

NOT YOU TOO VIDAR

I THOUGHT YOU WERE BETTER THAN TERO

XE2Hofl.png

There aren't that many enemies left, but there's more coming!

wTh9tc1.png

Oh, and the friendlies are almost dead, even if one stubbornly clings to life.

XwiaWkV.pngu9v1C4s.png

And then...

N7lZvn4.png

Now they're gonna have those guys murder the snag, and then waltz over to attack from behind! This is where it becomes super hard to survive if you don't get Ragnar's group over there soon. There aren't enough dudes to handle both fronts!

Eno7Xiw.pngdBh14c2.png

The boss also summons two more cavaliers, but Donwick gets out our last two knights(which move and attack the enemy), which does give us a bit more time.

I'm cutting it here, you'll have to wait a bit to see the epic conclusion! WILL I KILL THE BOSS? FIND OUT NEXT TIME!

this map looks epic, i love a good defense map.

also hey its a character named kai!

It actually is really fun to play. And indeed it is a character named Kai! I guess you can consider him your self insert.

Death or Glory: Episode 3: Chapter 2: Part 2: Breaking the Siege

7g2Kiem.png

One of the mercs coming for the snag spawned with this. Better keep him away from Donwick!

q0A99xO.png

Finally! Time to get moving again!

MW58c2F.png

Tero heads down to attract out some enemies...

F3Gf8lq.png

Yes, Agro hit on his attack. Best unit, I tell you.

xlIb5U9.png

I can even forgive him for this.

67w5tDF.png

The second defense line is breaking. It's a good thing those two new knights just came out.

MWdT34h.pngg2LWqzS.png

BEST UNIT I TELL YOU

9T98HM5.png

The new greenies are more than willing to CHARGE to their deaths. Their exact fate depends on a number of factors, of course.

fsEII59.png

Oh hey, he can double! Maybe he can still be good ye-

yGc6zOM.png

YOU SUCK SO BAD TERO

SO BAD

EL8C1p3.png

TOTALLY NO RNG ABUSE OR ANYTHING

njQMiPZ.png

I guess I can forgive this too... I could RNG abuse again, but I don't wanna play that card too many times.

vzgcwOI.png

The snag drops to one hit from the fighter. Here they come!

nDP3Xu2.png

And then Agro DIED because he didn't kill that cavalier.

fhcj5vj.pngXTMBuyZ.pngSzONUsc.pngfXXUlWY.png2iwRcQE.pngisj9An1.pngGdfQFKV.png8YucC3D.png

Donwick: FALL back. Get it treated and… and just live, alright?

Agro: ..Sir.

Man, even the DEATH QUOTES are super long in this hack! I didn't intend to take that many screenshots, but I kept thinking it would end, and it just didn't!

GumT7dJ.png

This time, Agro just does a much safer chip.

5ocYJLy.png

He gets his first level and it's the BEST ONE YET.

6V7VbkN.png

See? Much better!

McP1dzo.png

Another kill for the greenies.

XWqRKDI.png

Oh great. There's not many enemies left in the way...they're gonna head for the boss, aren't they?

wffjgbB.pngW0fednx.png

The other group has ALMOST ARRIVED, and Tero gets a level that contains a useful stat but not one of the stats he oh so desperately needs.

kZDxypM.png

There they go, charging to their deaths!

aWKYtmb.png

Meanwhile, the group that broke the snag is nearly to Donwick. He chips one, but we'd best help him out.

89fLrqY.png

More cavs from the bottom, and another group of two from the top! I guess we can leave the cavs to the knights for now...

qOK1yyo.png

Magic! Her heals are really weak right now, so she totally needs it.

m9ZAleT.pnghpiDQgB.png

Tero slays the axe cavalier, and Agro has to heal before he can take on the oncoming enemies.

zbQzhpM.png

The Glam merc hasn't arrived quite yet, but Donwick's getting hurt!

sY8NxGK.png

OH THE PAIN

yPMQ5cM.png

This is okay. Get that WTA going, yeah.

mchbv0c.png

Finally! Ragnar's group has arrived! Now we can finish things!

yFXqRSd.png

Ow!

8iKNuLY.png

Donwick was hurt, but NOT ANYMORE, thanks to his potion! See? Indestructible!

ZUqG79p.png

The other though, they aren't doing so great. Why does Zerenus have its fighting force as like 80% knights?

sNolJ4Z.png

Tero's headed for the village, but it looks like we have some time to focus on the boss...

o4MUhnE.png

Vimal: If I didn’t have that psycho looming over me, things might be different.

uSkAgTz.png

Thanks for making him switch to the Khanjar, derp knight! At least you chipped him...

noprIkA.png

EPIC DODGE

Ht4Bxsc.png

Oh come on! That wasn't even a 69!

iH6thxL.png

And, right as the charging knights go down, we have MORE cavaliers and reinforcements from the sides to deal with. Come on! Give us a moment to wrap things up!

ArqMyRS.png

Agro's holding the top ones off.

R7wOOJu.png

It's against my policy to RNG abuse levels...but...I'm seriously considering it...

4CUK0CA.png

Donwick's helping out as best he can.

EkQPj3P.png

Kai's levels are the only good ones!

QmkE0fM.pngk9GpoC7.png

‘Stache man: *text skip* Poor Sir Donwick never made it to the blacksmith to collect his lance. Take it to him. I want him knowing he saved us all. Please hurry.

9FaOG4o.png

A steel lance isn't all that special, but I'll take it. Also, why isn't there an armory outside if the town has a blacksmith? I WANNA BUY STUFF.

cfvAPJP.png

SO EFFECTIVE AGAINST ARMORS

PQALJeQ.png

The guy has no 2 range weapon, so...you can just do this if you want.

JFfB3wP.png

Well...I guess she had to work on it sometime...

dxRnQYc.png

OH SURE. MORE. On the second to last turn! Thanks a lot!

Especially those two from the left. They can't even reach the fort at this point, they're just there to stop you from routing the chapter.

IWV0cLv.png

Nice reaver bro.

Pv7fDIa.png

Defense! Clearly best unit!

JmzNhxl.png

Vidar gets a good level as well.

uHEcvtN.png

Tero's still pathetic though.

vElgz4Z.png

Last turn! Time to finish the guy off!

Ve8rAY0.png

And DONE!

O6hXGzN.png

Vimal: I could’ve… I could’ve done so much more…

f2YpIxB.png

Weee...

0LrjumA.png

Red derp #76: Men retreat!

JkNxHJP.png

And then we go to Ragnar talking to Donwick. I'll show that in the conclusion, but for now...

The Ragnar v Boss dialogue!

VzAL1eV.png

Ragnar: …Why do your eyes flick over your shoulder?

Vimal: Ha! No reason that concerns you. En garde!

Yeah, it's nothing much.

NEXT CHAPTER: The Longest Level Yet

Loving the LP so far. As for a couple of things to not:

You have been RNG screwed when it comes to level ups, especially with Ragnar lol.

I actually forgot to change Donwik's weapon level for sword from B to D so that's a bonus I guess lol.

The world map is still in the air. I just don't have anyone to make the map for me. I'm very busy to do it myself with my internship and school.

I actually might consider your suggestion on the civilian gimmick. Talking to them can indeed make them leave and why not? That will deft be ideal for the players to handle.

Keep up the good work! And thank you for LPing this.

Also before you play chapter 8x (far from now lol) PM me cuz I will give you a fix to a problem in that chapter.

Edited by NYZgamer3

The first Kai I got was a complete beast, had like 19 str and max speed by like lv 17 and proceeded to carry the entire fucking team cause he was basically one rounding everyone who was not a knight.

So of course he became a complete disappointment in my 2nd run. Goddammit Kai

...at least you can always count on Agro, right?

...right?

Loving the LP so far. As for a couple of things to not:

You have been RNG screwed when it comes to level ups, especially with Ragnar lol.

I actually forgot to change Donwik's weapon level for sword from B to D so that's a bonus I guess lol.

The world map is still in the air. I just don't have anyone to make the map for me. I'm very busy to do it myself with my internship and school.

I actually might consider your suggestion on the civilian gimmick. Talking to them can indeed make them leave and why not? That will deft be ideal for the players to handle.

Keep up the good work! And thank you for LPing this.

Also before you play chapter 8x (far from now lol) PM me cuz I will give you a fix to a problem in that chapter.

Thanks for your comments. I'll remember to PM you when I'm there. I'm just starting chapter 4 right now so...

Hello everyone! Time to dive into...

The CHAPTER 2 CONCLUSION!

xtJajSj.png

Rinoa: Oh, Donwik! I thought you were lost, Donwick.

Donwick: Not quite yet, Rinoa.

Rinoa: When the messenger came, I feared the worst. We all feared the worst.

Donwick: It was just a minor scuffle, do not fret.

I'm afraid I must disagree, 18-turn defense mission wasn't exactly minor.

Rinoa: And so soon to the Silvatican assault on the capital-

Donwick: WHAT? When? What of the king?

Remember, he doesn't know!

Rinoa: King Urien is fine, Donwick. No doubt badgering the royal guard into a game of cards, and likely losing, too.

Donwick: …Hah! You damn near gave me a heart attack there, Rinoa.

Rinoa: …I know that feeling all too well. Yet, if not for Lieutenant Ragnar and his men, I fear I may not have had the chance to experience another of those moments.

Donwick: Ah, you mean those men who are amongst my own as we speak?

zIMLrzC.png

Ragnar: To you as well, Sister. I hope you can forgive the intrusion.

Donwick: Forgive you? Hah! I ought to kiss you, my fine friend.

Please, please don't. That is the worst ship ever.

756GW6g.pngtfi99Xc.png

Donwick: My king owes you a debt. My whole damn country owes you a debt. You can intrude while a bathe for all I care.

Once again, please, please, PLEASE don't.

Ragnar: I’m flattered. But, I’m here to discuss war matters.

Donwick: War? Forgive me, Ragnar, word reaches us slowly here- but, war? Have things truly become so dire?

Ragnar: They have. And it seems likely they’re spiraling into something far worse. Silvatica declared war with my own kingdom of Azalia, Donwick.

Donwick: Aye, and it would make sense that they engaged Zerenus as well. Cut off the reinforcements before they can be mounted. Yet, we are not allies. Not true allies. Surely Silvatica knew we’d not be riding to your aid?

Ragnar: Perhaps that was true some nights ago, but as of now Azalia and Zerenus are allies in this war. Your king, Urien Rheged, made it so with that seemed to be little hesitation.

Donwick: Hah! And that’s why I’d die for that man; he’s always been out of reach of the nobles claws.

Ragnar: Yes, so few are. And thankfully we are united because of it.

Donwick: Then, what are we to do now?

iKPQ0qk.png

Time for a VERY LONG introduction scene!

Donwick: Of course. Of the men who’ll travel, I have but two. Messenger!

xpFzC0T.pngCggzyhm.pngyw3uyyt.png1stDKMe.png

Donwick: Hmm? Oh, yes. His mother was a serving woman here. I try to take care of him.

Is this supposed to serve as some sort of characterization for Donwick? Because it sort of works.

Ragnar: And why not?

fYpxK3f.png

Donwick: Yes I did. Ragnar, this is Kai. He was next in line for bow instructor of fort Xinus. As of sunrise this morning when the previous instructor took a

He's gonna say it, isn't he.

yFSIGdb.png

Oh, never mind.

Donwick: There isn’t a man out there I’d trust more than this one.

Ragnar: It’s an honor, Kai.

Kai: The honors all mine.

yEpgq5j.png

Donwick: Ah, and here is the brash, axe-swinger himself. Ragnar, may I introduce Agro. He is but a simple soldier.

Simple? I think not!

Agro: Simple? Ain’t nothing simple about the way I cleave men in half.

Donwick: And of course he has his redeeming qualities.

Yup.

Ragnar: I’m sure his qualities are abundant and useful.

Agro: Bet your sweet ass they are.

8d7vKrG.png

Donwick: I figure we all need a little bit of wild.

Ragnar: Perhaps in moderation.

Donwick: The smallest in quantities. But, what of your own men?

Ragnar: Allow me. Messenger!

uJ2XFxq.png

Messenger: The gentlemen with horses, sir?

Ragnar: Yes. And for your troubles…

Messenger: Gold? M-More g-gold? I-I… I…

m7ZODiu.pngWzndARF.png

Worst messenger ever.

Donwick: Hah! Who would’ve thought you’d have a sense of humor?

Ragnar: Send for another messenger?

Donwick: Messenger!

gL8Fp33.png

Messenger #2: Of course, sir. *leaves*

Ragnar: We best move him to the infirmary.

Donwick: Don’t bother, they’ve got more than they can handle. Let him sleep it off.

Ragnar: …We’ve all slept in worse places.

Donwick: That we have Ragnar.

KMj3rv8.pngk8Q98cj.png

Ragnar: two of the finest knights Azalia has to offer.

You're talking about yourself and Vidar, right? Because Tero doesn't count.

Donwick: It’s an honor.

Tero: Commander Donwick.

Vidar: Sir.

Yjct4mm.png

In FE, you ALWAYS lack numbers. Deal with it. Besides, we still have like 1 generic knight.

Ragnar: Indeed we do. What do you suggest, Commander?

Donwick: Fort Zera. It’s the largest stronghold on Zerenus ground. If we’re going to recruit some more hands, that’s where to do it.

Ragnar: I’ll take your word for it. If all goes to plan we’ll soon have the numbers to reinforce Azalia no matter the problem.

Donwick: …If there’s one thing I’ve learnt, Ragnar; it’s that nothing ever goes to plan.

Ragnar: Yes. This war brings with it some mysterious tidings. Best we ride out at sunrise.

Donwick: To the east then!

0X8AM1C.png

So, it seems like its over, but then...

fXwGE2e.png

There's actually a teleporting noise and then this guy walks onscreen. This hack has some pretty good eventing.

UCD: How does he know? How how how how? Hahaha! He knows EVERYTHING! Every little thing he knows. He knows all of those little things! How does he know? Won’t anyone tell me? No? Jolly good, here’s the door. Hahaha! He’ll know what to do. He ALWAYS knows what to do. But, he doesn’t tolerate failure. Failure is unacceptable. Those who are unacceptable fail. He’ll know how to find those unacceptable ones. He always knows. HAHAHAHA!

Still best character.

YmdnFps.png

NEXT TIME: What, you didn't think there ACTUALLY WOULD be allies at that fortress, did you?

fqQolHC.png

Vimal: God damned psycho breathing down my neck. I’m not ready to die. Not yet!

2vzR5dM.png

And that's what happens if you just wait for him to retreat.