Fire Emblem+ [planning stages]

feplus

Hello. I believe this is the correct subforum for this thread, but feel free to direct me elsewhere if I am mistaken.

I am very fond of Blazing Sword, but it's got some issues. As I doubt Intelligent Systems is planning a remake of the title any time soon, I felt it'd be worthwhile to make a patch for the game that fixes these issues.

Project goals: This is a modest project aimed at polishing up the Blazing Sword experience. I don't plan on adding new characters, new maps, new music, or anything along those lines. Instead, I aim to clean up the script, fix some glitches, make some minor improvements here and there, and include a handful of small balance changes.

How you can help: I will organize the changes I plan to make into four sections. I'm reaching out to you all for feedback on the proposed changes, and [ii] help on compiling the game's issues, particularly those issues involving typos and grammatical errors. Appreciate any and all support.

Spelling & Punctuation

This section includes typos, misspellings, grammatical errors, and punctuation oddities. This link lists many of the errors but I do not believe it is comprehensive.

NOTE: All chapter numbers starting with 11 correspond to Hector maps unless otherwise stated.

FE7 follows a simple set of rules regarding ellipses. When a long silence is taken, there are five periods not immediately preceded or followed by any words; when a short silence is taken, there are three periods. All ellipses are followed by a space or a word. Any time the game deviates from this standard, I will consider it a punctuation error and make note of it.

Chapter 2

1. In the tutorial prompt on droppable weapons, change "yellow" to "green."

Chapter 4

1. In the Dorcas recruitment conversation, change "mercenaries" to "brigands."

2. Change "We'll" to "we'll."

Chapter 6

1. Punctuation; three periods instead of four when Rath speaks about a hidden passageway.

2. Phrasing; "What in the world is that woman doing here? I cannot let HER find the passageway..." replaced with "...What in the world is that woman doing here?"

Chapter 7

1. Punctuation; Nils should use three periods instead of seven.

Chapter 9

1. Punctuation; "Look! a giant walks among you!!" replaced with "Look! A giant walks among you!"

Chapter 10

1. Punctuation; Lyn should use three periods instead of four.

Chapter 11(E)

1. Switch Hanon's gender to female.

Chapter 13

1. Punctuation; Helman should use two sets of three periods instead of four + five.

Chapter 13x

1. Punctuation / phrasing; "Let go! Let go!! Will you let go!!!" replaced with "Let go! Let go!"

Chapter 14

1. Punctuation; when speaking to Eliwood, Hector should use three periods instead of four.

2. Punctuation; Erik should use five periods instead of six.

Chapter 16

1. During the Hector / Florina "Talk" conversation, fix Florina's reference to "Makar"; it should be "Huey."

2. Punctuation; "...... Ah..." replaced with "..... Ah..."

Chapter 17

1. Fix Bernard's enemy description to read as "Knight Commander of Laus" instead of "Knight Commander of Bern."

2. Punctuation; replace "That's....." with "That's..." [Raven recruitment]

3. Punctuation; "Open that door!!" replaced with "Open that door!"

4. Punctuation; "It can't be!!" replaced with "It can't be!"

5. Punctuation; "I thank you for your mercy!!" replaced with "I thank you for your mercy!"

6. Punctuation; "My brother!!" replaced with "My brother!" [Raven recruitment]

Chapter 17x

1. Remove this line: "'Captain' will do, whelp."

Chapter 18

1. Punctuation; "... .....Unnn... I......." replaced with "... ...Unnn... I..."

Chapter 19

1. Punctuation; "Guuu... Well...done......" replaced with "Guuu... Well... done..."

2. Punctuation; "Ha ha...ha ha ha..." replaced with "Ha ha... ha ha ha..."

Chapter 19x

1. Punctuation; "Kishuna : .........." replaced with "....."

Chapter 19xx

1. Change Teodor's nickname from "Shrike" to "Shadow Hawk."

2. Fix Nergal's dialogue in 19xx to make it clear Aenir is a person, not a place.

Original: Daddy has to go to Aenir. ...I'm going to get Mommy.

Proposed change: Daddy has to go get Aenir. ...I'm going to get Mommy.

Chapter 20

1. Punctuation; "Is that... truly....... a dragon?" replaced with "Is that... truly... a dragon?"

2. Punctuation; "...Ni... .....Nils..." replaced with "...Ni... ...Nils..."

3. Punctuation; "Hyaaaa! Stop... You mustn't come here!! Lord Nergal! Lord Nergal! Please.....!!! Guwaaaaaahhh!!!!!!" replaced with "Hyaaaa! Stop... You mustn't come here! Lord Nergal! Lord Nergal! Please...! Guwaaaaaahhh!!!"

4. Punctuation; "...I told you. I will...oppose... you always....." replaced with "...I told you. I will...oppose... you always..."

5. Punctuation; "Open your eyes..... Faaatherrrrrrrr!!!!" replaced with "Open your eyes... Faaatherrrrrrrr!!!"

Chapter 21
1. Punctuation; ".....I'm sorry." replaced with "...I'm sorry."
2. Punctuation; "Lady Lyn, you did nothing wrong....." replaced with "Lady Lyn, you did nothing wrong..."
3. Punctuation; ".....All of this could have been avoided..." replaced with "...All of this could have been avoided..."
4. Punctuation; ".....Nergal exploited that... weakness..." replaced with "...Nergal exploited that... weakness..."
5. Punctuation; ".....Enemies draw near!!" replaced with "...Enemies draw near!"
6. Punctuation; "...This is....." replaced with "...This is..."
7. Punctuation; "very noble....." replaced with "very noble..."
Chapter 22
1. Punctuation; "...Ah, I....." replaced with "...Ah, I..."
2. Punctuation; "...I didn't imagine they were this capable...." replaced with "...I didn't imagine they were this capable..."
3. Change Eubans' nickname from "Hurricane" to "Fierce Eagle."
Chapter 23x
1. Punctuation; ".....I can't take anymore." replaced with "...I can't take any more."
2. Punctuation; ".....Ah..." replaced with "...Ah..."
Chapter 24(Linus)
1. Punctuation; "Urrg...rr....." reaplced with "Linus : Urrg... rr..."
2. Punctuation; ".....I lost." replaced with "...I lost."
3. Punctuation; ".....Bah!" replaced with "...Bah!"
4. Punctuation; "......nothing....." replaced with "...nothing..."
5. Punctuation; ".....Curse...s..." replaced with "...Curse...s..."
6. Punctuation; "........ Linus..." replaced with "..... Linus..."
Chapter 24(both versions)
1. Spelling. Replace "Most like..." with "Most likely..."
Chapter 26
1. Punctuation; ".....I..." replaced with "...I..."
2. Punctuation; ".....No," replaced with "...No,"
NOTE: From Chapter 27 onwards, I do not have access to ellipses mistakes. The SerenesForest script auto-corrects ellipses mistakes and the other game script I was using ends here. I will note any additional mistakes and corrections once the patch-making process begins.
Chapter 27

1. Fix Lowen's recruitment dialogue with Harken to read "Isadora" instead of "Isabella."

Chapter 29

1. Give Lloyd a runesword rather than a light brand, as it was in the Japanese version of FE7. This lines up with Nils' dialogue in the Augury and should make for a better fight anyway.

Chapter 32x

1. Fix the 32x intro to read as "quickly" instead of "quicky."

Light

1. Fix the Nergal / Renault battle conversation to read "eking" instead of "eeking."

2. Fix Nergal's hidden death quote to reference "Aenir" instead of "quintessence."

Epilogue

1. Fix Epilogue results to read "Imprisoner of Magic" instead of "Imrisoner of Magic."

Support Conversations

1. Tidy up the Merlinus / Nino B-level support.

To add: Support Conversation ellipses errors

Original: Merlinus: No! I don't want these things scattered again! ; Nino: Now you're going to listen closely to old Merlinus here, because...

Proposed change: Merlinus:No! I don't want these things scattered again! Now you're going to listen closely to old Merlinus here, because...

2. Replace "Wrigley" with "Reglay" in the Heath / Louise and Erk / Louise supports.

3. Correct "killl" to "kill" in the Heath / Priscilla B-level support.

Weapon / Item Descriptions

1. Fix the Rienfleche description to read "For experienced units only" instead of "Can strike consecutively."

2. Fix the armorslayer description to read "Effective against armored units" instead of "Effective against infantry."

3. Fix the wind sword description to read "A magic sword capable of striking at a distance."

4. Fix the dragon axe description to read "An axe designed to strike down wyverns."

5. Update the tactician's scroll description to read "A tactician's scroll. Improves its carrier's hit and avoid."

Miscellaneous

1. In Value of Life, the out-of-bounds area is called "sky." Replace it with "--" to ft with other out-of-bounds tiles.

2. Change Jaffar's Battle History text from "so I here" to "so I hear."

Game script

Instead of basic spelling and grammar, this section lists areas where the script itself is weak. This includes lack of clarity and awkward phrasings among other things.

1. Add a line of dialogue making it explicit that Lundgren's troops set fire to Araphen as an intimidation technique.

2. Make it so that Legault does not appear in Ch. 23/24 if killed; replace with new dialogue

3. Fix the line where Jaffar warns Nino not to "ruin his opportunity" (Ch.26/28); this is a translation error. Change to "Stop this foolishness! I told you! I will not be a part of your blundering!"

4. The Bartre / Karla paired ending implies that Bartre committed suicide after the passing of his wife; correct this

Balance changes

I do not wish to completely overhaul Blazing Sword's balance, since I want to preserve the soul of the original experience. However, there are a few cases of notable imbalance easily fixable with some quick changes.

1. Marcus -2 strength

2. Bartre / Dorcas receive Binding Blade promotion bonuses

3. Rebecca +2 all stats

4. Wil +2 all stats (for both LM and EM/HM bases)

5. Wallace +3 all stats (for both LM and EM/HM bases)

6. Harken +blue gem*

7. Karel +white gem*; wo dao now grants its wielder +5res, 1-2 range (targets defense), 30 uses, 3000 value

8. Karla +charisma skill (10hit/avo/crit/critavo within three tile radius), no level requirement for Bartre

9. Nino A staff on promotion

*-- blue gem / white gem in chest now replaced by emblem seal

OTHER ITEM CHANGES:

1. emblem axe replaces Bartre's iron axe

2. emblem bow replaces Wil's iron bow (EM/HM)

3. emblem blade added to Guy's inventory

4. emblem lance replaces Fiora's steel lance (normal) or javelin (hard)

5. dragon axe replaces 10K gold chest in Kinship's Bond

6. wind sword replaces recover chest in Night of Farewells

Miscellaneous changes

Any alterations not falling within the purview of the above three sections go here. Note that while this section is labeled "miscellaneous," many of the proposed changes within are significant.

-unlock all difficulties from the start

-prevent ring bonuses from applying to the arena (if possible, just fix the Nini's Grace glitch instead)

-change village dialogue to make the mechanics of support conversations more clear

-unlock all music from the start

-fix the Nils Light glitch

-include the bonus songs into the actual campaign; see below for specifics

-fix Nergal's battle sprite to his custom colors rather than the default Dark Druid colors (which he sports in vanilla FE7); you can see his custom color during the opening class crawl

-include Kishuna's battle sprite (viewable during the opening class crawl)

-include ballista battle animation

-allow the player to see ballista ammo a la FE6

-two tiles in Hector Mode Ch. 30 appear as walls but can be walked on; fix

-make Secret Shop locations more obvious; all Secret Shop tiles become diamond tiles

-include in-game ranking information from a new menu option

-get rid of fixed RNG and the mine / torch / lava glitches

-change the gaiden requirements for 19xx; offing Kishuna is enough

-fix the support conversation viewer so that, when all support conversations are unlocked, the "100%" isn't cut off

-fix arenas so that you cannot back out via soft reset; do this by hiding enemy details until you're already in the fight

-minimum arena wager is 800; this increases risk and makes arena abuse more difficult

-speed up most support convos

-add two extra bone tiles to make desert item locations clearer

-add an extra door key to PFoD Jerme on hard modes

Where to include the bonus songs within the campaign:

1. The Path to Greatness -- Light Pt. 2 map theme

2. Beneath a New Light -- Victory or Death theme

3. In the Name of Bern -- Fighting Vaida in Ch. 24/26 and 28/30

4. Legend of the Dragon God -- Ninian's revival scene where she bops two dragons

5. Royal Palace of Silezha -- Conversations between pegasus sisters, specifically: Fiora's recruitment; Farina / Florina convo on Crazed Beast; Fiora / Farina convo on Crazed Beast

If you have any additional script errors in mind or balance / miscellaneous changes you'd like to see, or if you disagree with some of my proposals, please let me know! I'll edit new additions into the opening post.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by feplus

This is the correct forum, yes.

And it's funny you should bring this up, since I was actually thinking of undergoing a similar project, although part of my intention was to add just a few characters, mostly to make it so that there weren't any class lines for which the player had only a single option as to who to use. (Nomad/Nomad Trooper, Troubadour/Valkyrie, Shaman/Druid)

Anyway, this is a pretty nice idea. The game script and balance could use a bit of touching up, so it'll be neat to see how this turns out.

In an effort to generate some discussion, here's something I've been toying around with in my head for the past few hours.

What should I do with the Transfer Data mode? While a novelty at the time, restricting a number of unique weapons- many not found within the main campaign- to a Mario Kart: Double Dash!! bonus disc seems archaic for 2015. Couple of options:

1. I keep the Transfer Data option as-is.

2. I keep the Transfer Data option as-is, but have it be unlocked by default without the need for any MKDD connectivity.

3. I get rid of the Transfer Data option entirely and relocate unique weapons and items- particularly the Dragon Axe and the Wind Sword- to somewhere in the main campaign. Maybe add a chest here and there, maybe swap out some village items.

Which sounds best?

In an effort to generate some discussion, here's something I've been toying around with in my head for the past few hours.

What should I do with the Transfer Data mode? While a novelty at the time, restricting a number of unique weapons- many not found within the main campaign- to a Mario Kart: Double Dash!! bonus disc seems archaic for 2015. Couple of options:

1. I keep the Transfer Data option as-is.

2. I keep the Transfer Data option as-is, but have it be unlocked by default without the need for any MKDD connectivity.

3. I get rid of the Transfer Data option entirely and relocate unique weapons and items- particularly the Dragon Axe and the Wind Sword- to somewhere in the main campaign. Maybe add a chest here and there, maybe swap out some village items.

Which sounds best?

Yes, do the third option.

Perhaps you could make these items available in the Secret Shops...

Edited by Tauro

• 3 weeks later...

Original post has been updated and is close to being finalized. Decided to scrap Trial Maps for now. Here's what I still need help on:

1. Ephidel fails to kill not one, but two helpless NPCs (Hausen and Caelin) whose survival contributes to Eliwood and company's success; I can accept him making this mistaken once, but twice? Need suggestions on how to improve.

2. Fix the line where Jaffar warns Nino not to "ruin his opportunity" (Ch.26/28); compare this part to the original Japanese line. What got lost in translation?

3. Input on proposed changes, especially character balance changes.

Why? As a Jeigan, the purpose of Marcus, it seems to me, is to be an earlygame crutch for the player that tapers off around midgame / lategame. Minus two speed seems to accomplish this goal better (though Marcus will remain one of your best units with -2 speed or -2 strength).

I think that's a misinterpretation of what role FE7 Marcus is meant to fufill. He's obviously MEANT to be stronger than he was in FE6, he's in his prime even. Characters like Seth and Titania have great stats and fine growths, and are young Paladins. They can be outclassed by growth units with long term investment but aren't supposed to just be earlygame crutches, they're meant to be good units. Marcus is a little older but he can't be that much older than someone like Harken.

I would accept nerfing his base strength (it really is quite ridiculous that he ORKOs so many enemies on HHM with a Javelin), but if you mess with his speed like that he'll stop doubling in earlygame very quickly and become pretty blegh fast.

If your only intent is "well Marcus shouldn't be so strong, it makes the game easy" then I think you would be better served actually making the game's enemies remotely threatening instead of having them start off at a point where Marcus obliterates, then like...not get significantly stronger for almost 13 maps. Don't slot Marcus into being what is essentially a fan created archetype just because you think he should be.

EDIT: Also, please revert weapon effectiveness back to 3x.

Edited by Irysa

You've convinced me. I'll go with the -2str option you and dondon proposed.

I'm a bit hesitant about the proposed change to Karel, so let me walk everyone through my thought process here. On the one hand, I'd like to make the choice between Karel and Harken more meaningful; on the other hand, I don't want to totally redefine their base stats, since this project aims to preserve the soul of vanilla FE7. Giving both units the brave sword is a start, but it's still pretty clear Harken is the superior choice, especially on HHM.

+2mov struck me as intriguing. Suddenly the choice is between a superior offensive unit with 1-2 range and a decent offensive unit with 1 range and high movement. I suspect most players will stick with Harken, but Karel is no longer a wasted choice. And I do think higher movement fits with the "well-traveled legendary killer" personality of FE7 Karel. That said, it might be too drastic a change, so looking for input.

As for 3x damage with effective weapons: will this make the game easier, or harder? It'll buff the lords' promotion items and make weapons like the heavy lance more useful, but does this benefit enemy units enough to compensate? Haven't played FE7J so I can't speak with any authority.

Karel's class is just fucking bad in FE7 and his speed is excessive whilst his strength is poor (Marcus in Chapter 11 had 1 less strength...) and being swordlocked in addition to that means he can't get ORKOs without critting on many enemies by the time he shows up. +2 mov is not going to help him ORKO.

Harken has 2 more con as well so their speeds are actually equal in many situations, and with Brave Sword wt factored in Harken is far more likely to actually 4x. If you want to give a unique reason to use Karel the easiest way to do it is to insanely buff his res stat so he's niche useful on CoD and Victory or Death.

As for 3x it makes your Pegs die in some situations they could otherwise tank, and makes Erik slightly more threatening earlygame. Although Marcus@IronAxe on the forest will handle him fine still. Making Lyn and Eliwood better units by merit of the change is fine by me, and it won't affect balance too much considering how easy it is to ORKO enemies with 2x effective weaponry anyway, so 3x only really saves weapon uses or helps weak units get KO's better, or at least makes it so Pegs have to be a bit more careful.

Edited by Irysa

You could always give him some kind of Prf that has +res on it or whatever. I think the potential dynamic for picking a unit that can trivialise the most annoying chapter in the game vs a unit that is extremely solid in almost any chapter is fairly compelling.

(if you can't tell, I hate CoD)

Edited by Irysa

A prf Sword for Karel sounds like a pretty rad idea actually. Giving him a Gem to make him a viable pick in ranked runs is an idea worth thinking about as well ... both suggestions are much better than just giving him a random +2 mov boost.

Speaking of ranked runs I'd like to see some tweaking of the requirements to make things a little more challenging. I haven't thought about anything specific yet but one notable aspect of the ranking system is that it somewhat balances the inherent advantages of mounted units by making things not simply a matter of running the lowest turn counts. I think it'd make ranked runs a lot more interesting if you could enhance that effect a little bit and make some requirements more difficult to achieve.

Edit: Also do something about Battle before Dawn. Jaffar's survival should not be a matter of pure luck. Nino and Zephiel will always survive if you're fast enough but if Jaffar decides to get full-retard-mode like he often does there's nothing you can do.

Edited by Yojinbo

feplus, on 27 Jan 2015 - 01:16 AM, said:snapback.png

fix Nergal's death quote to reference "Aenir" instead of "quintessence"

I actually like this one better as-is.

5jc4_zpsab615213.gif

You need to have a strong, strong, and I mean, STRONG argument behind this if you honestly think that obvious mistranslation of "Aegir"/"Aenir" should be maintained. I challenge you.

I can't say that I'm well versed in FE7's story, but from what I've seen it makes much more sense that Nergal says Aenir instead of quintessence. He still seems to have somewhat of a heart. However, I do see the reason behind keeping it as quintessence, since he seems to want nothing more at the point you face him.

However, I do see the reason behind keeping it as quintessence, since he seems to want nothing more at the point you face him.

I see it too, and it's a shit reason that doesn't even hold up. Let's read the localized line, and then let's read it, changing "Quintessence" to "Aenir":

Why? Why must I lose? More power…

I must be… stronger… I…

Why? Why did I… want power?

……Quintessence?

…Don’t…under…stand… but…

Gaa… Not like this…

I will not die…like this.

With my last breath…

tremble…and…despair.

Hwah ha ha…

Ha…ha ha ha…

"I must be stronger... I..."

Here, Nergal expresses a strong desire to become more powerful. His drive is his desire for power, and then, in his dying moments, thinks upon the core of that: why did he want power? And then, as the pauses would imply, after a long moment of thought, mentions "Quintessence?" The whole line denotes an entire shift in tone and mood for him, and then goes back to his "power mad" state he's been in, and the revelation that he comes to, upon deep thought and reflection is... Quintessence? If he was going to come up with something after a mood swing like that, "Quintessence" is not such a thing. And he says "Don't... under...stand..." afterward, as if he's puzzled about this revelation of "Quintessence". The fuck? What doesn't he understand about Quintessence? He's been handling it the whole game like a boy during puberty handles his dick. Character-wise, there is NOTHING for him to misunderstand about Quintessence at this point. He knows what it is, and how to channel it. The line sucks, because it doesn't make sense on multiple levels.

Why? Why must I lose? More power…

I must be… stronger… I…

Why? Why did I… want power?

……Aenir?

…Don’t…under…stand… but…

Gaa… Not like this…

I will not die…like this.

With my last breath…

tremble…and…despair.

Hwah ha ha…

Ha…ha ha ha…

This reveals a number of things:

1. The man from the chapter 19xx flashback was indeed Nergal

2. Nergal is Nils/Ninian's father (which would explain why Ninian/Nils felt inclined enough to go to the other side of the gate: the sound of a familiar voice)

3. Aenir is dead, and his end goal was to revive her using massive amounts of quintessence (as implied by Renault's dialogue with Nergal)

4. It also reveals why he didn't just easily use Nils/Ninian's quintessence to revive her (as well as why Ephidel didn't kill Nils outright at the Dragon's Gate in Chapter 19's ending); because he, subconsciously or not, has feelings for them, if he didn't know he was related to them outright.

No. "Quintessence?" does not work. Use Aenir.

Edited by Kysafen

I'll bite.

"I must be stronger... I..."

Here, Nergal expresses a strong desire to become more powerful. His drive is his desire for power, and then, in his dying moments, thinks upon the core of that: why did he want power? And then, as the pauses would imply, after a long moment of thought, mentions "Quintessence?" The whole line denotes an entire shift in tone and mood for him, and then goes back to his "power mad" state he's been in, and the revelation that he comes to, upon deep thought and reflection is... Quintessence?

The other question that's implicitly being asked is "What power was I searching for?" He was looking for the power to revive Aenir, sure, and how would we do that? With quintessence, of course! Except he's so deep into his drive for power that he forgot what his original purpose in attaining quintessence was

If he was going to come up with something after a mood swing like that, "Quintessence" is not such a thing. And he says "Don't... under...stand..." afterward, as if he's puzzled about this revelation of "Quintessence". The fuck? What doesn't he understand about Quintessence?

The confusion is derived from how he still is missing something despite having attained the power he was seeking. He doesn't understand what he wanted to do with his quintessence that confuses him.

He's been handling it the whole game like a boy during puberty handles his dick. Character-wise, there is NOTHING for him to misunderstand about Quintessence at this point.

The fact that he's been throwing this shit around so easily and still feels the need to acquire more (for some reason is exactly what is puzzling.

This reveals a number of things:

1. The man from the chapter 19xx flashback was indeed Nergal

2. Nergal is Nils/Ninian's father (which would explain why Ninian/Nils felt inclined enough to go to the other side of the gate: the sound of a familiar voice)

These are all but confirmed by the scene in 19xx when he arrives later and questions what he was looking for. "Aenir?" does nothing except beat you over the head with it.

3. Aenir is dead, and his end goal was to revive her using massive amounts of quintessence (as implied by Renault's dialogue with Nergal)

This is just as strongly implied without the actual word "Aenir"; he clearly needed the quintessence to somehow bring back the "mommy" mentioned in 19xx, but he'd forgotten that purpose. It also completely loses any meaning if you remove 19xx from the story.

4. It also reveals why he didn't just easily use Nils/Ninian's quintessence to revive her (as well as why Ephidel didn't kill Nils outright at the Dragon's Gate in Chapter 19's ending); because he, subconsciously or not, has feelings for them, if he didn't know he was related to them outright.

same thing

No. "Quintessence?" does not work. Use Aenir.

The biggest issue with using Aenir over Quintessence is that it is a proper noun that means absolutely nothing if you don't see 19xx. Considering how contrived and arbitrary the 19xx conditions are, there's two stories to be considered here - that with 19xx, and that without. With 19xx, quintessence and aenir don't make much of a functional difference - the only implications is that he remembers slightly more about his past (and I personally think it's more powerful to have him so far gone that he doesn't even remember the name of the person he was looking for). Without 19xx, "Aenir" is just a random proper noun; I suppose there's an argument to be made about how it makes hints at his past or whatever, but all of the undertones towards ninils etc are completely gone; it's just random noise that seems shoehorned in. Using "quintessence", on the other hand, provides the same (rough) implications, it's just not as explicit that he wanted to revive someone in particular

(if you ask me, the best course of action is to use aenir if 19xx was cleared but use quintessence otherwise)

See, the thing is, you have to have gone through 19xx for Nergal to have that death quote, because otherwise this is his quote

Why?
Why must I lose?
Gaa... Not like this...
I will not die... like this.
With my last breath...
tremble...and...despair.
Hwah ha ha...
Ha...ha ha ha...
Edited by Kon

could you give us a reason to use knights throughout the game?

[Excluding Oswin's earlygame use]

Nope. Knights aren't meant for LTC or speedrun strategies. They're good units for defense and chokepointing and that's how they'll remain. Wallace gets a statistical buff to make him less worthless at defense and chokepointing.

Kon is correct by the way, so if you're concerned the new translation won't make sense to those who didn't attempt 19xx, don't be.

See, the thing is, you have to have gone through 19xx for Nergal to have that death quote, because otherwise this is his quote

...i knew that, i swear!

(i still don't think that having quintessence over aenir is such a terrible thing, though)

alternate idea for karel is to give him a sword that only SMs/lyn can use that has 1-2 range. FE13 has the amatsu, which is such a sword.

I could make the Wo dao 1-2 range. Or I could give it +5res; this change indirectly buffs Lyn and Guy in addition to Karel, which is nice.