So Why Was Wario Changed to an Unlockable Character?

Randoman

Does anyone here have any guesses as to why Wario was changed to an unlockable character from Brawl to SSB4?

I mean, I can understand why a lot of the characters were changed from unlockable to starter, especially Luigi and Marth since they're really iconic and important to their own series (which have had many entries and have existed for a long time) and having them be unlockable just for tradition's sake at this point is ridiculous. Though the reason for Wario being changed from a starter (who was one of the first announced characters in Brawl and was even featured on Brawl's box art) to an unlockable completely eludes me. It also baffles me that despite the Wii U version changing 4 of the 3DS unlockable characters to starter, Wario still wasn't one of them, despite being quite recognizable by most gamers.

I don't particularly mind Wario being changed to an unlockable character. I just find it really weird and random and can't think of the logic behind that decision.

Well im not 100% sure about this but wasnt the most recent wario game a fail so perhaps they just wanted to ensure top sales and not place anything to the public that would possibly steer some sales away because believe me there are some people like that, mind you not much but they exist.

It's not a weird case really. Captain Falcon went from secret unlockable in the original smash to default roster in melee to unlockable in Brawl to default roster again. There really is not much to say.