Level 9 CPUs Damn...

Sentacotus

So me and my friends have been playing quite a few matches locally since I can't get online with my school network (not to mention its a hella fun) and we typically play with a level 7-9 CPU 7 and 8 are pretty easy and tend to die off real quick. But 9 damn talk about perfect shield every freakin time and perfect dodge from followups. While the offstage game is still a little lacking they are not push overs and we've even lost a couple of games to them (granted we play 4 player with items). Oh and those hard to land Final Smashes and Dragoon jet they land them 100% of the time. Is it me or did they ramp up the difficulty of the CPU's in Smash 4?

Oh yeah they definetly made them harder and more intelligent I remember in project M they tried to make it harder because they were so easy in brawl but in the end they would simply dodge in air to their doom now they dodge and hurt everything if only we could fight something as tough as amibo difficulty without an amibo cuz damn Walmart seems to never sell that shit and I don't want to drive 3 hours for one at eb games.

Oh yeah they definetly made them harder and more intelligent I remember in project M they tried to make it harder because they were so easy in brawl but in the end they would simply dodge in air to their doom now they dodge and hurt everything if only we could fight something as tough as amibo difficulty without an amibo cuz damn Walmart seems to never sell that shit and I don't want to drive 3 hours for one at eb games.

may I introduce you to the wonders of the magical land known as Amazon dot com?

anyways I haven't found Level 9s difficult so much as annoyingly frame accurate / etc., which is a really boring way to "increase difficulty."

I don't really play against them much because whenever I do for any lengths of time I pick up bad habits that take me an hour or two to unlearn - if I play against a CPU it's a level 3 (for trying out combos), a level 7 (to see if they're more clever about escaping combos), or a non-moving dummy (for getting a feel for a character).

...and even then I'd still need to play against an actual human to get any real idea of practicality, even if it is some random scrub on For Glory.

My biggest problem is that they seem to get the perfect shield 100% of the time regardless of which character you're playing as (whether you're a slow heavy hitter like Ike or a fast punisher like Fox doesn't matter) they somehow get the timing right everytime so they can counter right after. I could understand a human player (and even we don't get it right) but I don't even know how they programed that.

I'm not even mad I'm actually impressed.

My biggest problem is that they seem to get the perfect shield 100% of the time regardless of which character you're playing as (whether you're a slow heavy hitter like Ike or a fast punisher like Fox doesn't matter) they somehow get the timing right everytime so they can counter right after. I could understand a human player (and even we don't get it right) but I don't even know how they programed that.

I'm not even mad I'm actually impressed.

that seems like one of the easiest things ever (relatively speaking) to program

they already have all the frame and input data - the game already knows when your attack is going to connect

all it needs to do is tell the CPU to shield at the perfect frame

And I thought I was the only one losing to lv. 9 CPUs a lot. Glad I don't need to be embarrassed after all. They definitely feel a lot harder than Brawl's. I've managed to beat them every now and then though.

Edited by Anacybele

I mean it would make sense why classic on 9.0 is so challenging. I mean yeah theres items and a lot of random BS and Master Core. I usually lose to them once in a blue moon (1-2/10 times) but back in Melee and Brawl I never lost to them. Of course, its always because they get the smash ball on the last stock or some crap.

As a rule of thumb, they seem to be better to me. It's just that they epically fail to maneuver the stages.

They get carried away by the river in Kongo Jungle because of poor judgement with airdodges, they do absolutely nothing to avoid the attacks of the Pokemon in Unova Pokemon League, they constantly get carried away to the side on the Spirit Train, they do nothing against the Flying Man and they can't deal with the 3rd part of Paper Mario (but then again, who can?). But the worst is in Gerudo Valley were the AI manages to both fail to get out from below the bridge and fails to realize that they should try to get away from the side of the valley that's on fire and will insist on trying to find a solid footing before leaving their side. And I would bet that back in they day, they didn't fail their recovery in Corneria as often.

Airdodging in generals often leads to their doom. But of course it's the worst in Kongo Jungle.

that basically just illustrates the point that stage design in SSB4 sucks right

That statement is most certainly right. But even so, the AI will often screw themselves over through ill-timed airdodges regardless of the stage. Or they will just take too long to react towards changing stages. Robin is especially bad about this, it always seems like he just won't move before he manages to fully charge Thunder. And I really don't feel like blaming the stage for their complete failure to maneuver Gerudo Valley because that one is just embarrassing.

Edit: Also, on good old Temple, after sending Falco flying from the upper right edge, he tried to recover by angling his up-b diagonally downwards as if he was somehow aiming for that platform all the way down. This got him killed several times in that match, not sure if other characters do that too.

Edited by BrightBow

Fighting CPU's is a good way to learn how to grab and block, but they teach you bad habits for playing other people.

they're super irregular about how they time attacks, and I'm not even sure if I'd say that it's good for teaching you how to block

they won't grab you out of your shield as well as players will, or punish you etc., and they'll make decisions about when to attack that I've never seen a human make

As a rule of thumb, they seem to be better to me. It's just that they epically fail to maneuver the stages.

They get carried away by the river in Kongo Jungle because of poor judgement with airdodges, they do absolutely nothing to avoid the attacks of the Pokemon in Unova Pokemon League, they constantly get carried away to the side on the Spirit Train, they do nothing against the Flying Man and they can't deal with the 3rd part of Paper Mario (but then again, who can?). But the worst is in Gerudo Valley were the AI manages to both fail to get out from below the bridge and fails to realize that they should try to get away from the side of the valley that's on fire and will insist on trying to find a solid footing before leaving their side. And I would bet that back in they day, they didn't fail their recovery in Corneria as often.

Airdodging in generals often leads to their doom. But of course it's the worst in Kongo Jungle.

Ugh, I hate the Kongo Jungle so much because of that river. It's hard for even players to avoid, imo.

Kongo Jungle is the N64 stage that got remade for Smash Wii U. The stage with the river is Jungle Japes.

The problem I have with level 9's is that they seem to read your inputs sometimes and react faster than a human reasonably could. That's not good practice.

Something I've noticed with items is that things like the Nintendog and Skull kid seemingly don't effect them at all. And when they get the Dragoon Parts its like a 1 in 10 chance that they miss.

What bothers me about the level 9s is that their defensive play style isn't even fun to fight and punish. They just block, dodge, and counter, and it's just super annoying and tedious. I'm not that great at the game so I don't consistently do well against them, but I also don't lose very often.

They also do very poorly in terms of representing the decisions actual human players make, as noted earlier in this thread. Aggression is especially lacking.

Something I've noticed with items is that things like the Nintendog and Skull kid seemingly don't effect them at all. And when they get the Dragoon Parts its like a 1 in 10 chance that they miss.

Also this. It's bull shit. At least they occasionally fuck up when it comes to inverted controls as done by Palkia and Skull Kid. Occasionally.

I personally believe they're an improvement over Brawl. Then again, it's how I practice playing the game. 99 stocks against each character. XD

Not sure if it will help me with this game, but it definitely helped me crush opponents in Brawl.