FE4 Save Issue

Oshimos

So, I'm playing through Genealogy again, and for some reason since hitting Gen 2 I can't perform ingame saves anymore. It's not an issue with my patch, and I've redownloaded the rom to no avail as well. I never had this issue before and could save just fine in gen 1 and in a new file. Has this ever happened to anyone else? It's preventing me from getting Seliph's extra leadership star, so it's kind of annoying.

In-game saves you do manually are only possible at the very start of your turn when none of your units have finished their action.

I probably should have been more specific, it's not that I can't perform the save action, whenever I do the game blackscreens and softlocks, and if I reset the rom my save file is entirely deleted. This happens both within chapters and between them.

Edited by Oshimos

I probably should have been more specific, it's not that I can't perform the save action, whenever I do the game blackscreens and softlocks, and if I reset the rom my save file is entirely deleted. This happens both within chapters and between them.

Oooh, that's a new one.

First try re-downloading the emulator and creating a new directory, transferring your save file and rom there.

If that doesn't work, what emulator are you using (include version) and if possible, can you upload its configuration file? (SNES9x for example is the .conf file you find in the root directory).

Edited by Sirius

Does it do this in the original Japanese version? Load your save without any patch applied and try saving. Then you can narrow down the problem.

That was the first thing I tried. Nothing seems to work. Plus, it was saving fine before I hit gen 2.

That was the first thing I tried. Nothing seems to work. Plus, it was saving fine before I hit gen 2.

Did you actualy reset the console before gen 2? FE4 has a habit of behaving rather oddly if you only play using savestates, although i have never heard of this specific behavior. Also, have you done any Previous FE4 playthroughs? Are you trying anything odd this time around (like rescuegliching past the final cutscene in gen 1)?

Edited by sirmola

Did you actualy reset the console before gen 2? FE4 has a habit of behaving rather oddly if you only play using savestates, although i have never heard of this specific behavior. Also, have you done any Previous FE4 playthroughs? Are you trying anything odd this time around (like rescuegliching past the final cutscene in gen 1)?

This is my third playthrough of the game and I never had problems before. I'm not doing anything glitch related and I had to restart to get the defence sword, which is where I always reset before.

This is my third playthrough of the game and I never had problems before. I'm not doing anything glitch related and I had to restart to get the defence sword, which is where I always reset before.

I'm stumped then. What about exporting a chapter 5 save, loading it in higan or some other emulator, and seeing if that works? It's entirely possible that you found an obscure bug in the game itself. Wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

Edited by sirmola

I'm stumped then. What about exporting a chapter 5 save, loading it in higan or some other emulator, and seeing if that works? It's entirely possible that you found an obscure bug in the game itself. Wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

I tried it in zsnes and got the same error. It must be something with the actual game then. Weird. I have no idea what I could have done to cause it.