Recommended Units?

I decided I'm going to start a new run of Shadow Dragon, and it's been awhile since my last attempt which I didn't get all that far into. I'm aware that Shadow Dragon gives an awful lot of characters to recruit, and I feel it would be a hard time to decide for myself which ones I should use.

Which units would you suggest I use, preferably 1-2 from each class?

I'm playing through Shadow Dragon again after about a two year break. It's not really that difficult to discern which units are good and which are terrible. Just look at their stats and weapon levels, and it's all pretty straight-forward. Class doesn't matter so much since you can reclass units in this game.

some of the best units are:

Shiida, Peg Kngt -> DK / Paladin

Abel Cain Hardin, Cavalier -> DK / Paladin, one of which you can reclass into Sniper after promotion for a quick bow user without having to grind WEXP

Draug, Hunter -> Horseman / Warrior or something like a quick General with bow rank which is neat in FE11 too.

Ogma is awesome earlygame, but not very bosslike mid- and lategame because Sword faces WTD in many cases, but he still isn't bad. Needs no reclassing to be in his best class, so Merc -> Hero

Barst, Fighter -> Hero

Wolf Sedgar, as General or Axe!Hero. Warrior is okay too, especially if you proc defense often, which is likely.

Merric is a good combat!mage that doesn't face WEXP issues like Lena does.

Lena is a solid staffbot with easy access to high-rank staves.

Beck and Jake are very solid if used together, and even moreso with Xane as a 3rd ballista.

Arran is a nice source of free weapons

most other units are usable too, but remember that Matthis stinks and you should sack him right after recruiting him, which you only did for his iron lance.

Edited by Gradivus.

What difficulty are you playing on?

Echoing Gradivus but I think Wendell needs to be noted for being generally quite baller in a bunch of reclasses early on due to his high speed. Jeorge should be noted for being a good short term bow user in earlygame, and unless you grind weapon rank or use arms scrolls he may be the only user of Parthia for a very long time. Minerva's base weapon ranks can carry her quite far as a utility unit too.

Cord should be noted for also being quite a decent pick for Horseman/Warrior, but you really should only be worrying about training one. I think on higher difficulties Castor is actually better than both Draug and Cord because he has access to D Bows immediately which makes a big difference and Draug is not really going to get enough EXP to ever actually double enemies until lategame anyway, so Castor's mediocre speed in comparison doesn't matter.

Edited by Irysa

What difficulty are you playing on?

That's another thing. What would you all recommend for the difficulty as well? I'm already experienced with Hard Mode in the series, though it differs game to game. There are supposed to be 5 levels of Hard Mode. Which one should I do?

That's another thing. What would you all recommend for the difficulty as well? I'm already experienced with Hard Mode in the series, though it differs game to game. There are supposed to be 5 levels of Hard Mode. Which one should I do?

H3 would be around the ballpark I think. 5's early game is ridiculous, but if you think you can manage it. I'm not going to stop you.

If you get through H5 earlygame I think it's really fun. If you don't warpskip then the game becomes quite intensely focused on the basics. With the appropriate forges nearly all units (General!Wolf/Sedgar and chippers aside) either take or recieve tons of damage for in all instances of combat, as enemies recieve hax forges and you force up your Ridersbane/Wing Spear/Hammer to deal with the repetitive enemy types. Positioning and planning becomes highly important. You're also pressed behind by reinforcements a lot.

Edited by Irysa

Yeah H5 is pretty tough. Good units include Shiida, Cain Abel Hardin, Hunter Cord/Draug, Peg Sisters minus Est, Merric Lena, Barst. That's who I used on H5. Also, Marth is worthless unit. You can kill Medeus easily with someone else. You may consider Tiki for her Dragonslaying abilities.

Forged Rapier makes Marth not that useless IMO. This game gives so much money to you and having an extra unit for doing tons of damage to knights and cavs is nothing to be sniffed at.

IMO, I would rather forge a ridersbane or wing spear on competent units. Marth is all right during the early game bc of rapier, but I would rather spend my money on ridersbane forges and wing spear. For Knights though its good.

tbh if you're playing casually you get enough money for all 3 forges and some random stuff like a +1 silver lance that horace ohkoed a mage with! Marth still has really iffy bases and I'd do it out of FE11!Marth favoritism if at all, or if he would manage to proc strength already.

EDIT: or on a generic run.

Edited by Gradivus.

Shiida is the best

Barst is also awesome

H3 is a great difficulty for someone who is experienced with hard modes but is playing the game for the first time imo.

My first run of this game was on H2 and I found it way too easy. I restarted it on H3 and enjoyed it a lot more.

Edited by Nobody

why, must blind H5, it's very doable. H5 can be do'd just with generics and marf like I did back when I was a noob, marf can get stats to crit a certain spoiler final boss and every bad mage generic ohkoes a spoiler mage boss with a crit too. generic general by C5 is such clutch.

Edited by Gradivus.

tbh if you're playing casually you get enough money for all 3 forges and some random stuff like a +1 silver lance that horace ohkoed a mage with! Marth still has really iffy bases and I'd do it out of FE11!Marth favoritism if at all, or if he would manage to proc strength already.

EDIT: or on a generic run.

On my run I forged 2 Wing Spears, 2-3 Ridersbanes, a dragonite and Wyrmslayer, and a Pachyderm. Which IMO is of more worth than a rapier. But you do have enough money. I'm pretty sure all of them were +4-5.

Reclass Ogma to fighter, and he can work better when he go to hero class (raising axe ranks + strength and health)

if you want another magic user that isn't mage / curate, but Dark Mage / Sorcerer, you can reclass Cord to Dark Mage

Have fun with that 30% growth with magic. Although 50% speed is nice.

HP is the issue, not mag. Wendell has very good bases comparatively to when he joins to compensate for his low HP, and a good staff and tome rank; Excalibur is good for bosskills too because 20% crit. Merric has good HP. Cord's good Spd can be made better use of by using a bow class, or just staying fighter, but that's sort of overshadowed.

Dark Mage is pointless because there is no benefit anywhere compared to Mage in FE11 due to the char/growth/base spread selections. Far more random units can be turned into decent Mages that have better growths and bases than any potential Dark Mage, heck even the Cavaliers and Navarre make better Mages than Cord will make a Dark Mage. But all of them are worse than Merric or Wendell because they won't have Excalibur access for ages.

Edited by Irysa

Abel / Cain / Shiida / Ogma / Barst / Lena / Merric / Hardin / Wolf / Sedgar / Xane / Beck

Wendell if you need a filler. Myself, I don't like Jake, but he can turn out much better then Beck.

Use Julian / Rickart (thiefs) if you want.

Get Nagi for the final chapter.

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah I never got too far in this game because I felt like I was bombarded with recruits, and so many of them felt interchangeable. I think I'm going to start a new playthrough now.

Who is preferable, Ogma or Nabarl? I kind of like the latter, because he reminds me if Zihark.