Codename S.T.E.A.M

Jedi

So I tried the demo, I quite enjoyed it. Although I got massive Valkryia Chronicles vibes from it, not that its a bad thing. I love how over the top the player and enemy phase calls are. Reminds me of freaking Expendabros lol.

Gameplay was overall solid, and was explained well, despite me being familar with how the game worked already (see Valkyria chronicles).

I think it'll be great to see Marth, Ike, Robin and Lucina join the player squads via Amiibo too.

Artstyle is very reminiscent of Silver Age comicbooks. Overall its worth a look!

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I definitely want to try this. I plan to get it if the demo doesn't completely turn me off.

Although I don't like the sound of getting VC vibes. I wasn't big on that one.

I'd say still give the demo a shot, even if you don't really like VC.

I have tried it out so far and here are my impressions.

It's a lot of fun where it's more focused on positioning and lining your sights with your rifles and guns onto the enemy. Basically you want to cautiously move around the map and take advantage of the camera angles as much as you can without being spotted by the enemy. Taking cover and position is really important to this game. The game is focused on an energy bar called steam. Using a weapon uses steam, moving to a specific grid requires steam and doing any specific actions uses steam. If your character is in defensive position or hiding and he gets spotted by an enemy he/she will use steam to counterattack. It's like Valkyria but uses a grid system instead of an open area meaning you can backtrack to the previous grind if you accidentally moved to the wrong position without using energy/steam.

The game while is fun have some issues and I do have some concerns with the game so far. The game really demands you to play defensively rather than playing offensively. If you even attempt to attack, you will just get demolished. So it's better to do move and sit and hide and do nothing than to actually attack on your turn. Basically overwatching is your best friend in this game. Enemy's turn also takes forever and there is no fast forward button. I heard you can skip it but I have found no way of doing it.

I'm am at the iffy point of getting the game but mostly because demos usually don't give me a good impression of the game but at least the gameplay mechanics do feel fine. I'll probably get it anyway because I like supporting new IPs.

Edited by kingddd

I have tried it out so far and here are my impressions.

It's a lot of fun where it's more focused on positioning and lining your sights with your rifles and guns onto the enemy. Basically you want to cautiously move around the map and take advantage of the camera angles as much as you can without being spotted by the enemy. Taking cover and position is really important to this game. The game is focused on an energy bar called steam. Using a weapon uses steam, moving to a specific grid requires steam and doing any specific actions uses steam. If your character is in defensive position or hiding and he gets spotted by an enemy he/she will use steam to counterattack. It's like Valkyria but uses a grid system instead of an open area meaning you can backtrack to the previous grind if you accidentally moved to the wrong position without using energy/steam.

The game while is fun have some issues and I do have some concerns with the game so far. The game really demands you to play defensively rather than playing offensively. If you even attempt to attack, you will just get demolished. So it's better to do move and sit and hide and do nothing than to actually attack on your turn. Basically overwatching is your best friend in this game. Enemy's turn also takes forever and there is no fast forward button. I heard you can skip it but I have found no way of doing it.

I'm am at the iffy point of getting the game but mostly because demos usually don't give me a good impression of the game but at least the gameplay mechanics do feel fine. I'll probably get it anyway because I like supporting new IPs.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention the more defensive nature of the demo chapters at least. Hopefully when you have a bigger team. You can afford to do half-n-half like Jagged Alliance loves to make you do (especially in 2)

Agh. The l button on my 3ds doesn't work, and the circle pad pro isn't set to have the left shoulder button on the pad take over for the l button on the 3ds. So I pretty much have no way of playing the demo because you have to press L to shoot.

I was feeling so-so about the game at the start, but after seeing the FE Amiibo support and trying the demo, I may actually buy the game.

Like others have said, the game is similar to Valkyria Chronicles, although you move around a bit less (not a bad thing) and the enemy phase counters actually require investment.

Only thing that bugged me was the slow and boring enemy phases in the earlier stages. They should really limit the number of enemies that you can't see moving... if that makes sense.

this game is like if somebody replaced the blood in XCOM's veins with pure liberty.

frankly i made it to where you get tiger lily and i got shat on and i'm straight up in love

this game is like if somebody replaced the blood in XCOM's veins with pure liberty.

frankly i made it to where you get tiger lily and i got shat on and i'm straight up in love

Clearly the game should have been named Codename L.I.B.E.R.T.Y

no, i think the name is excellent tbh

Someone told me it was silly a game with that title wasn't on Steam.. lol kinda amused me.

The demo was kinda boring and slow to me, at least my impressions are just ok. Player phases are fun specially when you chain the help panels and wreck enemies but enemy phases are lamesauce. I'll have to see more stuff about the game to have a reason to get it. But overall it was just ok to me.

Everything here and...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opCsjsJ2Rao

^

I

Loved it!

An Advanced Wars game done in a marvel comic book kind of way. I never thought that this game would blow me away enough to wanting to record it. But...it did. A must play for any Advanced Wars fan. Another great game as always, IS.

Edited by PuffPuff

@PuffPuff: Great for Advance Wars fans, you say? I'll take that as a recommendation! Unfortunately, my SD card doesn't have room for the demo right now.

Edited by Zera

15:03-16:45

What a great game this is...

Love the coordination talk that Xenoblade Chronicles also provides. Any Advanced Wars fan should definitely play this! Can't wait to see if Marth talks in English or Japanese with this coordination voice acting. with Ike being in it, he should say "I fight for my friends". Friends that your making of this era, Ike that Mist and the others don't know about...yep.

Edited by PuffPuff

So my favorite va is voicing Marth. Can't say I think it fits, he needs a much more noble and deep voice IMO.

Reminds me when he was the new Alucard in Sotn PSP, didn't fit at all. Especially compared to the original VA (who was by far easily the best va and one who knew what he was doing in PSX sotn)

Edited by Jedi