The State of Nintendo

Sentacotus

So if you've looked into gaming news recently the Wii U has sold 9.2 million units in two years which is lagging behind the Gamecube and even the Sega Dreamcast at this point in time. This is after we've had a 2D and 3D Mario game, after Mario Kart 8, and after Super Smash Bros 4. Third party support continues to dwindle because of the underpowered hardware and Nintendo's general alienation of third parties altogether. Its also worth noting that the videogame market was not as big then as it is now. As you all know Nintendo had a rocky start to this generation with meager sales of its home console. The 3DS recovered in a big way and is now dominating the handheld market due to heavy hitters but it too started off in much the same way.

It doesn't stop there though. Nintendo has proceeded to make controversial and very nonsensical business decisions. One of them being their recent move to create a network on youtube that gives 70% of the profits to the user to let ads be posted (many networks provide much better rates btw) without fear of being copyrighted by Nintendo for using footage of their games in videos. This follows the mass of copyright claims they made earlier in the year. Despite youtube users practically giving free advertising for their games (which they desperately need) through lets plays, footage, etc...they seem to proceed to alienate what seems to be a loyal and active consumer base.

Then there is the amiibo debacle in the US. Granted they are selling like hotcakes but Nintendo has done nothing to recitfy the supply causing scalping to skyrocket and a loss in profits they could otherwise have. They already have sites set up to order amiibo from them for standard retail price in NOE, Australia, and in Japan but not in the US. Why the hell not?

This is not a I hate Nintendo thread or post. Quite the contrary, its I'm concerned as all hell thread and wondering if anyone else has noticed similar things as of late? I personally think that losing Nintendo or Nintendo fading into irrelevancy could be one of the worst things for the industry. One its less competition but Nintendo also produces unique experiences you can't find anywhere else (Fire Emblem just being one such example).

This is purely a disscussion thread and I'm wondering if anyone has noticed these unsettling facts. Please refrain from flamming others or igniting a flame war that dosen't need to be around.

EDIT: If this is the wrong place to put this I apologize. If its more fitting in the Debates section or Entertainment have at it Mods.

Edited by LordTaco42

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Nintendo is that weird company that does some things really well but is just so behind in other areas. The YouTube stuff is the worst offender, I'd say. I mean, sure, they're getting better, but it's clear they still have a ways to go.

I'd die if Nintendo dies because I usually play Nintendo exclusives, I'm really happy with the titles they offer: both the Wii U and 3DS have awesome libraries (imo Wii U has a library of much more quality), the problem (as I see it) is that the weak way the Wii U was introduced made some of its customers go for Sony's PS4 or DA BONE, and now they'll think twice about getting a Wii U unless they have the money and want desperately to play a good title. So that's what I think, but both consoles have good games.

And about the amiibo issue, I don't know what's the real problem, if it's about manufacturing them, if it's something regarding the supply chain or what, or if it's manufacturing cost or what, but I can only think they've been dumb enough to have a problem last so long. Like, here in Colombia you see Disney figurines like everywhere and there's not a fucking single amiibo neither in chain nor gaming retailers. SO SCREW AMIIBOS.

Threads like these make me sad. :( I don't want to think about the idea of Nintendo failing and then going away. They've gotten out of tough situations before. And the Wii, DS, and 3DS have done so well that they're still kind of rolling in money right now.

But that's only going to last them so long if they don't pick up the pace again, with both the Wii U and Amiibos and such.

Another thing to consider is marketing. Where do you ever see ads about the Wii U? There are literally still people out there who don't know that its an entirely new system and think its an add on to the Wii 2 years into its lifespan. No doubt due to poor naming in the first place. So what do they do? NEW 3DS...Really as if you didin't learn from the first go around? This is what scares me. They seem to not learn from their mistakes and be rather laisez faire about everything and not having a sense of urgency to save face and get as many consoles into homes as possible. Granted they have a huge war chest and won't be going bankrupt any time soon but if they do this crap generation after generation then they could. I know Nintendo has been around for the longest time and people have been saying that they're doomed for the past 30 years (I happen to think they are not) but they are a company and companies can fail if they keep making poor decisions. Sega was going on 20 years before they failed because of a bunch of epic screw ups (32X, Sega CD, Saturn).

I love the hell out of the Wii U its my favorite system by far this generation but damnit where do you see it? I've literally walked into Gamestops with nothing but 360, XBONE, PS3, and PS4 titles.

The youtube thing is stupid. Getting lets players on your bad side is one of the last things you want to do ever, because they are very good at trendsetting.

The reason the Wii was so big is because the casual market gobbled it all up, but now they're having a hard time getting those same people to even know what the heck this "wii u" thing is, I already own a Wii! It also had a pretty weak starting lineup, which companies underestimate all the time. Your opening software lineup can very well have a hand in determining your initial installbase and its a lot easier to start off strong than to work your way up from a weak one. The Gamecube at least had Smash and some other stuff that's escaping me right now. And there's the whole advertising thing that Taco made pretty clear above me.

You know, I always found that whole situation weird, how some people didn't/don't know the Wii U is a whole new console. I didn't have any problem understanding that it was a new console when it was first announced...

EDIT: Luigi's Mansion was a GC launch title, I read.

Edited by Anacybele

To be honest, even I hadn't even heard about the Wii U until a month or two after its release. I wasn't following as much gaming news back then, but still...

As far as the idea of Nintendo going bankrupt, I really don't think that's something to worry about now. They've done enough to keep themselves afloat pretty far into the future. Give it a few more failed consoles first.

Same here, retailers have BONE or PS ads/posters and few people know about the Wii U and the 3DS, I bet only the few gamers here know of its existence but Colombia doesn't give a shit about gaming so just ignore me.

I also think Wii U and NEW 3DS are dumb titles and they should be a bit more innovative and creative. But I basically just don't pay attention and just play the games, so yeah. I hope Ninty learns from its mistakes.

^Seriously? The Wii U was talked about at E3 and stuff. I remember them talking all about the Gamepad and showing off screens and showing gameplay of Nintendo Land. I was so freaking mesmerized and excited that I couldn't hold still.

Also, one simple thing that told me this was clearly a new console was the name. It's called the Wii U. It must be something new! It's not the Wii anymore! I thought, this must be something like how the SNES was to the NES.

EDIT: Ugh, damn it. I was directing that first comment to Red Fox.

Edited by Anacybele

The youtube thing is stupid. Getting lets players on your bad side is one of the last things you want to do ever, because they are very good at trendsetting.

The reason the Wii was so big is because the casual market gobbled it all up, but now they're having a hard time getting those same people to even know what the heck this "wii u" thing is, I already own a Wii! It also had a pretty weak starting lineup, which companies underestimate all the time. Your opening software lineup can very well have a hand in determining your initial installbase and its a lot easier to start off strong than to work your way up from a weak one. The Gamecube at least had Smash and some other stuff that's escaping me right now. And there's the whole advertising thing that Taco made pretty clear above me.

Because of the lineup I didn't get one at lauch like I did the Wii. The Wii at least had Twilight Princess. The Wii U needed that one Ninty heavy hitter to show off the HD and it didn't have it.

You know, I always found that whole situation weird, how some people didn't/don't know the Wii U is a whole new console. I didn't have any problem understanding that it was a new console when it was first announced...

EDIT: Luigi's Mansion was a GC launch title, I read.

Gamers like you and I don't but casuals who made the mass market of people for the Wii did and when they think next gen they think XBONE and PS4. Nintendo NEEDS to rectify this in following generations.

To be honest, even I hadn't even heard about the Wii U until a month or two after its release. I wasn't following as much gaming news back then, but still...

As far as the idea of Nintendo going bankrupt, I really don't think that's something to worry about now. They've done enough to keep themselves afloat pretty far into the future. Give it a few more failed consoles first.

Yeah Nintendo could literally produce bomb fail consoles (by bomb fail I mean Virtual Boy fail) for 3 generations before being in a do or die situation. Sides I wouldn't count the Wii U as a failure. Sure its not selling as well as the PS4 or XBONE but it is begining to turn a profit for Ninty. True failures are things like the 32X, Saturn, or Virtual Boy. The problem comes when Ninty sticks to outdated practices and keeps making the same mistakes. They decay from the inside.

Same here, retailers have BONE or PS ads/posters and few people know about the Wii U and the 3DS, I bet only the few gamers here know of its existence but Colombia doesn't give a shit about gaming so just ignore me.

I also think Wii U and NEW 3DS are dumb titles and they should be a bit more innovative and creative. But I basically just don't pay attention and just play the games, so yeah. I hope Ninty learns from its mistakes.

They litterally could of called it Wii 2 or Super Wii and people would of gotten the idea and they would keep the Wii brand.

IMO nintendo is focused too much on nostalgia, sure, its awesome having your favorite charakters fighting against each other, bad thing is when you are completely new to nintendo and don't even know what legend of zelda or kirby is

playstation and xbox or rather microsoft and sony are much more flexible on that, e.g. they support inie games muchore then nintendo does, also nintendo only gives games a "GO!" if everyone in nintendo things that the game is worth selling

I mean can you list some non-sequels on the wii u?

Edit: IMO Nintendo>PS>Xbox

Edited by Flareragnarok

Handheld market: They got this

Console market: They should try more powerful hardware once to see how it goes, otherwise just become a 3rd-party developer for other consoles.

They learned from SEGA about going third party. Name a good Sonic game released in past 10 years. Now imagine the same situation with Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and all the other franchises you love.

I don't think casuals play Xbox or Playstation though. Those seemed to only cater to the hardcore gamers. I mean, so many shooters and mature titles...

The problem is that all the casuals went to tablets and smartphones they are a finicky crowd as a market and always looking for the quick fix. That market is gone for Nintendo and I think they realized that a little too late in the development of the Wii U hense the tablet controller.

And there's no way Mario or Zelda will do well on something like Xbox or Playstation. Too many of their fans spit on Nintendo and call their games kiddy and dumb. I always just say fuck them. Nintendo is the best. I find them to be the most innovative and creative. Look how different the GC is from the SNES and how different the Wii is from the GC and how different the DS is from the Gameboy. I don't see so much difference in the Xboxes or Playstations. Hell, they don't even have as much variety in their names, let alone their appearances and controllers.

Edited by Anacybele

Casuals don't play xbox or PS? i think they play only ps and xbox for the shooters because they are casuals, i mean my classmates are only playing shooters and only 3 people own something of nintendo me included (i am the only one in my class who does not own a new gen console)

the younger are more into handhelds

Edit: of course mario and zelda won't be, they belong to nintendo

like i said, nintendo is only focussed on nostalgia, especially the consoles

so the handhelds are much better for newcomers while the wii u is absolutely not

also the only thing that improved the ps and xboxes were graphics and wifi

Edited by Flareragnarok

Nintendo has suffered worse Ex: Virtual boy, Power Glove and have stayed strong so there not doing bad. The Let's Player thing is stupid but other companies were doing it before and at least Nintendo didn't take the video's down. While yes they do favor the 3ds, didn't really promote the Wii U and it's annoying but they are trying to fix it.

Casuals don't play xbox or PS? i think they play only ps and xbox for the shooters because they are casuals, i mean my classmates are only playing shooters and only 3 people own something of nintendo me included (i am the only one in my class who does not own a new gen console)

the younger are more into handhelds

When I refer to casuals I'm refering to the grandparents, aunts, uncles, and people who never would of played games in their life. Like the console or not the marketing for the Wii was on point. Literally everyone knew what it was.

Nintendo has suffered worse Ex: Virtual boy, Power Glove and have stayed strong so there not doing bad. The Let's Player thing is stupid but other companies were doing it before and at least Nintendo didn't take the video's down. While yes they do favor the 3ds, didn't really promote the Wii U and it's annoying but they are trying to fix it.

Nintendo did actually take down content earlier in the year from certain channels.

Edited by LordTaco42

They learned from SEGA about going third party. Name a good Sonic game released in past 10 years. Now imagine the same situation with Mario, Zelda, Metroid, and all the other franchises you love.

Generations and maybe Colors

Generations and maybe Colors

Amongst the multitude of mediocre at best and unplayable at worst titles.

Generations on Metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/sonic-generations

Colors on Metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/sonic-colors

Not terrible but pretty average if you ask me.

When I refer to casuals I'm refering to the grandparents, aunts, uncles, and people who never would of played games in their life. Like the console or not the marketing for the Wii was on point. Literally everyone knew what it was.

Nintendo did actually take down content earlier in the year from certain channels.

The people who never played games before will never play them because they are not interested on those or they die, but yeah i think they would play nintendo rather then ps or xbox because there are so many games for the whole family

lets be honest, my grandparents say that they are most happy when they see the whole family having fun so i think that in this case they would own a nintendo console then a ps/xbox

Edit: BUT they won't buy one, since you need only one console per family

Edited by Flareragnarok

Amongst the multitude of mediocre at best and unplayable at worst titles.

Generations on Metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/game/xbox-360/sonic-generations

Colors on Metacritic: http://www.metacritic.com/game/wii/sonic-colors

Not terrible but pretty average if you ask me.

Still better then '06 but the point is those two probably the best sonic games made after they went third party. I would have said Heroes but a lot of people hated that one