The State of Nintendo

Sentacotus

I always hated the whole "more powerful machine" thing. What does it matter how powerful a console is? What matters is the console's features and games. If the games are good, so what?

It's just as bad as those people who complain about graphics. Nintendo's graphics are always behind the others in quality, but they're still amazing games in the end.

Edited by Anacybele

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I always hated the whole "more powerful machine" thing. What does it matter how powerful a console is? What matters is the console's features and games. If the games are good, so what?

Third parties have a hard time making ports of games from more powerful consoles to weaker consoles. I imagine this is part of the reason the WiiU has a minimal third party selection. (I do agree with you, power isn't too important to me, but I do appreciate really up there graphics.)

I have no doubt that Nintendo can weather the whole Wii U situation. Sure its not massively profitable, but they have enough money to just sit that rough ride out, while trying to please their core audience. Nintendo usually performs very well when under pressure so i'm expecting their first party titles to still be good.

I do have concerns about what happens after the Wii U though. They could make a more powerfull machine to answer many people's wishes for them to compete with Sony and Microsoft again, but I'm wondering if that will actually solve anything. Nintendo still has an image problem as an outdated, kiddy console maker and their relationships with third parties hasn't improved either. They tried with the Gamecube and I have a feeling that their next powerfull console will just be ignored again by people outside of Nintendo's fanbase.

I don't care for the specs of the console. Nintendo has shit selection of games on their home console vs their portable console. Port games like Etrian, SMT, SRW, DQ, etc on their home console and I'll buy it. Got tired of buying a new console for only one game I liked. I bought a N64 just for Ogre Battle 64. Also a GameCube for Fire Emblem Path of Radiance. I don't play games on a portable console.

^I will respectfully disagree. The Wii and Wii U have excellent libraries, imo. The Wii has the Super Mario Galaxy games, Zelda: Skyward Sword, Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, FE: Radiant Dawn, the PokePark games, and more. The Wii U has Super Mario 3D World, Smash Bros., Hyrule Warriors, New Super Luigi U, Captain Toad, and coming up are Yoshi's Wooly World and Zelda.

Edited by Anacybele

I have no doubt that Nintendo can weather the whole Wii U situation. Sure its not massively profitable, but they have enough money to just sit that rough ride out, while trying to please their core audience. Nintendo usually performs very well when under pressure so i'm expecting their first party titles to still be good.

I do have concerns about what happens after the Wii U though. They could make a more powerfull machine to answer many people's wishes for them to compete with Sony and Microsoft again, but I'm wondering if that will actually solve anything. Nintendo still has an image problem as an outdated, kiddy console maker and their relationships with third parties hasn't improved either. They tried with the Gamecube and I have a feeling that their next powerfull console will just be ignored again by people outside of Nintendo's fanbase.

Yeah financially they're set for awhile and I don't think they're on the verge of bankruptcy and believe it or not the Wii U has actually turned some profit albiet minimal.

As for making a more powerful machine it would help third parties out massively. Currently the Wii U has only 4GB of RAM while the PS4 and XBONE have 8GB. It seems like a small thing but for developers such a difference can be nightmarish to optimize for.

The problem with the GCN was that they went with a proprietary disc (which was a harder medium to port to) and could only store up to 1.1GB of info whereas the Xbox and PS2 used standard DVD discs to store info which was easier to write to and had more storage.

Well then, third party developers need to look at the consoles they want to make the game for before making it.

That's assuming they get dev kits for the console early. Microsoft is usually pretty good about this I don't know about Sony but Nintendo hasn't done this all that well so a typical problem since the GCN is that the developers don't even know what they're working with until close to launch or when the system hits.

^I will respectfully disagree. The Wii and Wii U have excellent libraries, imo. The Wii has the Super Mario Galaxy games, Zelda: Skyward Sword, Smash Bros. Brawl, Mario Kart Wii, FE: Radiant Dawn, the PokePark games, and more. The Wii U has Super Mario 3D World, Smash Bros., Hyrule Warriors, New Super Luigi U, Captain Toad, and coming up are Yoshi's Wooly World and Zelda.

There isn't anything that interests me on their home console. I'm not into games like Mario of Duty XI,(mario games don't interest me at all) and Smash Bros.(I like KoF or SF) FE Radiant Dawn is the only game I would probably enjoy from what you listed. I like mainly RPG games like Dragon Quest, Valkyria Chronicles, Super Robot Wars, Etrian Odessey, Shin Mega Tensei, etc. All of those games are only on their portal consoles.

As for making a more powerful machine it would help third parties out massively. Currently the Wii U has only 4GB of RAM while the PS4 and XBONE have 8GB. It seems like a small thing but for developers such a difference can be nightmarish to optimize for.

Developers care about the system architecture the most, I would say. It's why the PS3 took a long time in order for developers to get acquainted with it. The RAM is nice for a more powerful machine but third party support is hard to come by anyway.

And no, it doesn't matter how powerful the machine is if you've got no interest in the games available. I have little interest in most of Nintendo's franchises which is why I'm not bothering with a Wii U. Having the best graphics is hardly a concern to me, but being able to run games at a good framerate is much more important. A gaming PC is going to win all day every day in the graphics department anyway.

Developers care about the system architecture the most, I would say. It's why the PS3 took a long time in order for developers to get acquainted with it. The RAM is nice for a more powerful machine but third party support is hard to come by anyway.

And no, it doesn't matter how powerful the machine is if you've got no interest in the games available. I have little interest in most of Nintendo's franchises which is why I'm not bothering with a Wii U. Having the best graphics is hardly a concern to me, but being able to run games at a good framerate is much more important. A gaming PC is going to win all day every day in the graphics department anyway.

Fair enough but to even have a chance to GET games you might be interested in (say you like Bioshock or whatever is offered on the PS4/XBONE) you have to have a machine that can compete specs wise otherwise developers are not going to risk the extra cost to optimize for it and thats before considering whether or not said title would sell well on the machine.

And yeah its no secret that even a 800-1000 dollar rig is going to beat a home console in performance thats been the case for a long while now.

Hit the nail on the head. During E3 they showed off the gamepad with a name like Wii U now at face value what the hell are you going to think it is? Contrast that when they showed the Revoloution and they brought out an actual console and held in the air. There was no question as to what it was.

For 3rd parties its a catch 22 for nintendo and a self-licking ice cream cone 3rd parties don't sell on the Wii U because they make shitty ports and don't want to risk the investment. But then Nintendo dosen't want to make the hardware to alleviate this risk. The cycle just repeats itself and its gotten worse since the N64 with their decision to go with cartridges rather than discs.

I remember reading/hearing that big 3rd party games just don't sell well on Nintendo consoles, even on a console like the Wii where the market was huge due to the amount of consoles sold. Now it can either be because people who buy Nintendo consoles aren't interested in big names 3rd party games(I know I'm not) or it could be that even when the market is huge, big names devs half-ass their ports. Sure it's costly to basically remake the game for a weaker engine, but then whining that people won't buy an inferior port when you haven't tried to optimize the game for the platform is kinda meh. (There might have been high profile 3rd party ports on the Wii that had been optimized for it and passed me by so I might be wrong on that.)

It's just as bad as those people who complain about graphics. Nintendo's graphics are always behind the others in quality, but they're still amazing games in the end.

It's quite a sad thing that power and graphics have become such an important factor for most gamers. Most 'triple A' releases cost tons of money to develop because of how much effort they have to put in these games to make them look good in HD and satisfy the audience means that devs can't take risk because if one title fails to sell, it means a big hit for their finances. (IIRC, there are a lot of smaller devs that have had to close shops lately due to bankruptcy, heck, even Sega is in dire straits at the moment.)

I personally think that while graphics contribute to the experience, it isn't the most important factor, especially since I think that aesthetics are more important than graphics when it comes to the visuals of a game. If you use aesthetics that look good with your limited power, it might end up standing up much better to the test of time than a game that tried to look really realistic. GC games like Metroid Prime and Windwaker, as well as Wii games like Super Mario Galaxy and Xenoblade had some really nice looking locations thanks to the great art direction that used graphics that respected the system's limitations. Even then visuals are the last factor you should look into to buy a game. Gameplay is the most important factor. There's a reason why people continue to play old games with outdated visuals.

I remember reading/hearing that big 3rd party games just don't sell well on Nintendo consoles, even on a console like the Wii where the market was huge due to the amount of consoles sold. Now it can either be because people who buy Nintendo consoles aren't interested in big names 3rd party games(I know I'm not) or it could be that even when the market is huge, big names devs half-ass their ports. Sure it's costly to basically remake the game for a weaker engine, but then whining that people won't buy an inferior port when you haven't tried to optimize the game for the platform is kinda meh. (There might have been high profile 3rd party ports on the Wii that had been optimized for it and passed me by so I might be wrong on that.)

Hense it being a catch 22 for Nintendo they're damned if they do and they're damned if they don't. Although having hardware thats on par with the other offerings and uses their medium can help alliviate this at the least they could get standard things like CoD. It was an issue with the N64 because the medium was cartridge based, with the GCN they used different discs, with the Wii and Wii U it was/is power.

Personally, graphics are a bit of an afterthought to me although I do enjoy seeing things that look good and I get games mostly on the kind of game they are.