I Hope This Doesn't Start A Flame War...

Randoman

I saw GoNintendo link this article about from kotaku about some rather disrespectful conduct of the Smash community at Apex this year. I know it may not be news to quite a few of you on SF, but it sure was news to me and I have to say, that's a rather disrespectful and rude way to act towards someone winning a game that you don't like as much as the prequels.

This quote sums up my views on the article and what some of the attendees did quite well:

It's the behavior that is appalling, not the idea of preferring one game to another.

Yeah, I know about the Melee participants going through a rough time, having SSB4 cause a delay in the Melee tournament's start time, among other things, but that still doesn't make taking out their frustration on the SSB4 fans/tournament participants right or any less appalling.

Anyways, please let's keep the discussion about this civil.

I should probably also throw it out there that I know not all Melee fans or competitive Smash players act like this.

Edited by Randoman

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...Wow. Just wow. These fans that booed the Wii U players just because they fap to Melee make me want to dislike the game even more than I already do. Melee was already overrated in my opinion, now I find it even more so.

That was definitely disrespectful, that Zero guy just made a dream come true! He didn't deserve that bullshit one bit, and it would it have honestly KILLED these people to even give him a single congrats?

It happens in all communities, Smash's is pretty chill for the most part though.

It's really that common? I did not know that. That's really sad that people are that entitled and rude about their favourite game at such a big and public event.

...Wow. Just wow. These fans that booed the Wii U players just because they fap to Melee make me want to dislike the game even more than I already do. Melee was already overrated in my opinion, now I find it even more so.

I'd advise against making sweeping generalisations people who like Melee. The chances are someone's going to take offense to your comments and post a rather disgruntled, albeit understandably so, reply.

>"I Hope This Doesn't Start A Flame War…"

What a wonderful title. We're already off to a great start.

My opinion on this matter is to not care. Some people in every fan base will be immature, and some people don't always make the best decisions. But making a ~big deal~ out of this is probably just going to encourage people to either feel justified or get defensive or just start taking sides. Best to let these kinds of things die in obscurity.

It's really that common? I did not know that. That's really sad that people are that entitled and rude about their favourite game at such a big and public event.

Yes, its generally worse in communities outside of smash, I'd appriciate people didn't put all the needless hate on the Melee people for the select few who act out of line.

Most of the melee players I know are incredibly chill.

Is melee always going to be played? I mean, eventually it's gonna get a little ridiculous playing a 20-30 year game competitively? Eventually it'll have to be replaced.

Melee generally works as a competitive fighting game, there are a lot of things about it and how it plays that's meant it's stayed in tournaments. Of course there's going to be the occasional jerk who regards anything else as trash, but you get those in every scene.

considering the melee crowd has done it two years in a row, i'm not surprised at all.

Like I know things were running behind and such, but it wouldn't have killed them to show at least a little emotion for 30 seconds before sweeping the smash4 winner aside like garbage, it was a pretty pathetic display. In my opinion the smash community as a whole is just impossible to please.

That being said I only watched the melee streams, the smash 4 stream just wasn't as exciting.

Edited by General Horace

>"I Hope This Doesn't Start A Flame War…"

What a wonderful title. We're already off to a great start.

My opinion on this matter is to not care. Some people in every fan base will be immature, and some people don't always make the best decisions. But making a ~big deal~ out of this is probably just going to encourage people to either feel justified or get defensive or just start taking sides. Best to let these kinds of things die in obscurity.

Agreed.

Oh and Ana I'm sure they don't fap to Melee lol...I know what you meant but yeah.

You know what would be better at one of these tournaments? Have a player like Zero win the Smash 4 tournament and then turn around and win the Melee tournament. The looks on their faces...

I know that'll never happen but seriously does simply liking a game better in a series constitute such behavior? Thats like saying because I like Radiant Dawn the best that anyone who plays Awakening sucks and should be treated lower than dirt.

You know what would be better at one of these tournaments? Have a player like Zero win the Smash 4 tournament and then turn around and win the Melee tournament. The looks on their faces...

I know that'll never happen but seriously does simply liking a game better in a series constitute such behavior? Thats like saying because I like Radiant Dawn the best that anyone who plays Awakening sucks and should be treated lower than dirt.

This.

Which is why I don't play competively. I mean, I try to get into competitive pokemon, but even that has people who act like dicks. The fact is that any competition has those kind of people...sports, video games, music, anything.

People have this attitude on this site sometimes, actually. Not as blatant, but yeah.

I'd advise against making sweeping generalisations people who like Melee. The chances are someone's going to take offense to your comments and post a rather disgruntled, albeit understandably so, reply.

I wasn't generalizing, I was only talking about the fans spoken of in that article. My mistake if that wasn't clear. But the way that Zero guy was treated was just very messed up and he had every right to be annoyed about it.

People have this attitude on this site sometimes, actually. Not as blatant, but yeah.

Which is something I quite frankly don't get. Its not as if its affecting me or the games I like.

If people play Smash 4 and have a tournament does it mean the melee people can't have a tournament and enjoy their game as well? No.

Which is something I quite frankly don't get. Its not as if its affecting me or the games I like.

If people play Smash 4 and have a tournament does it mean the melee people can't have a tournament and enjoy their game as well? No.

My main point is that these kind of people are in every single fanbase, yet people love to single out Melee players as the only people who do this crap. It's disrespectful.

And yes this was horrible overall, I'm not saying that, its just when some Melee players act elitist suddenly everyone is like

LOL LOOK AT PEOPLE WHO LIKE MELEE, THEY ARE ASSHOLES, THE WHOLE BUNCH.

Edited by Jedi

My main point is that these kind of people are in every single fanbase, yet people love to single out Melee players as the only people who do this crap. It's disrespectful.

And yes this was horrible overall, I'm not saying that, its just when some Melee players act elitist suddenly everyone is like

LOL LOOK AT PEOPLE WHO LIKE MELEE, THEY ARE ASSHOLES, THE WHOLE BUNCH.

Oh yeah that goes without saying. I'm just saying that I don't understand the logic behind why people do it. The only thing I can figure is that they somehow feel as if whatever they like to do is under attack by the release of "casual" or "inferior" games and are paranoid about it when the fact is its just not. No ones holding a gun to their heads saying that they must play Smash 4, CoD whatever, or whatever the hell else.

Edited by LordTaco42

This was the case with Brawl for it's entire tournament existence. The outcome, while incredibly unfortunate, was entirely predictable.

I mean it was also sunday night and melee top 8 started at like 9 pm (ending at 3 am) and some people were there from like 9 am and literally had to fly/drive in and deal with a bunch of crap. So what if they were cheering for melee to come on seeing as they paid a ton of money to go see melee. Obviously it is a little disrespectful but it is also on the tournament organizers for planning it the way they did.

Side note when melee top 8 came on, melee was the number 1 game on twitch in terms of views, getting over 100,000 I believe.

I mean it was also sunday night and melee top 8 started at like 9 pm (ending at 3 am) and some people were there from like 9 am and literally had to fly/drive in and deal with a bunch of crap. So what if they were cheering for melee to come on seeing as they paid a ton of money to go see melee. Obviously it is a little disrespectful but it is also on the tournament organizers for planning it the way they did.

Side note when melee top 8 came on, melee was the number 1 game on twitch in terms of views, getting over 100,000 I believe.

Then that's a bit different that's just being excited and full of anticipation but the feeling I got from the article was that people were dissing the other tournies going on and being unecessarily rude about it.

And yeah I agree its on the tournament organizers to keep things in check.

I feel the need to point out that the Melee community itself isn't to blame for the harassment. In reality, the group of naysayers is an incredibly small, but very vocal, group from the pro-Melee camp.

There are many players who have played competitively in Melee that have also played competitively in Brawl and Smash 4 and like all three games. These guys also condone the heckling behaviors.

I feel the need to point out that the Melee community itself isn't to blame for the harassment. In reality, the group of naysayers is an incredibly small, but very vocal, group from the pro-Melee camp.

There are many players who have played competitively in Melee that have also played competitively in Brawl and Smash 4 and like all three games. These guys also condone the heckling behaviors.

This is partly what I was trying to say, but I couldn't find the words, due to the blatant disrespect those were showing Melee players in the thread.