I Hope This Doesn't Start A Flame War...

Randoman

Thats like saying because I like Radiant Dawn the best that anyone who plays Awakening sucks and should be treated lower than dirt.

There was a guy in the comment section for the FE14 trailer who was spouting out that exact bullshit. And people were agreeing with him.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I was looking forward to a flame war, featuring flame chokes via the King.

Football gets a salty community

Smash gets a salty community

Geez even vehicle owners get a salty community

A fan base of a franchise is inevitably going to have louder voices within it who are heavily bias towards one side or the other. I think, like Sunwoo said, people should just ease up on getting their jimmies rustled. Imo, unless there is genuine hurtful disrespect from one competitive player to another, the fan base should just do what they want and let others in it do the same.

Let the melee players talk big. In the end, they are just a bunch of guys complaining about a video game. It's a way of life for some, but there is no universal love on this planet sadly

Edited by Sara.

Let the melee players talk big. In the end, they are just a bunch of guys complaining about a video game

YESZ. This and more this. Goes for any salty, vocal, and otherwise rude portions of a fanbase really.

Edited by LordTaco42

There was a guy in the comment section for the FE14 trailer who was spouting out that exact bullshit. And people were agreeing with him.

to be fair, its ok to treat people who like awakening as dirt if its the only game they've played in the series and refuse to try the others.

now if its thier favorite and they have played atleast one other entry, then cool beans, but you can't say "the best one is the only one i played"

Most Melee players I know in real life, who plague my college's Video Game Club with their snobby, arrogant assholery, would probably do something like this too. :/ It's a shame it seems the vocal minority is usually what people think of. "OTL

Edited by Faye

I mean I can't say I'm surprised. Like any fanbase you have the good with the bad. Some individuals get so wrapped up in their own personal feelings about their favorite game/franchise that they just go into a downward spiral. Look at the Call of Duty and MMORPG community. But I digress, whatever those individuals reasons were, there's no reason to throw a fit like that.

to be fair, its ok to treat people who like awakening as dirt if its the only game they've played in the series and refuse to try the others.

now if its thier favorite and they have played atleast one other entry, then cool beans, but you can't say "the best one is the only one i played"

I don't think it's okay to treat people like dirt over anything, ever. People who treat others like dirt have an issue already, do you really want to stoop to their level?

Edited by Sunwoo

This pretty much sums up how I feel about the FE fanbase, though I don't feel too hostile about it. It's more of an annoying thing when I see it.

Back to the issue though, while I still prefer Melee over Smash 4 and Brawl, it doesn't mean I don't enjoy playing the latter games as well. People need to chill out over this kind of stuff.

How...inane. Perhaps the best way about going about it is, stop giving them attention. The less attention they get, the less inclined to whinge.

No. Its never ok to treat people like dog shit because of a video game.

No. Its never ok to treat people like dog shit because of a video game.

How 'bout "it's never okay to treat people like dog shit", full stop?

Would it kill the negative, vocal minority to be civil? I don't think SSB4 is a snoozefest, and I like watching how the interactions play out. However, I'm well aware that I'm not the target audience, so it doesn't behoove me to be salty about any changes made to the tournament rules.

It's not like melee was THAT screwed over... did it really "steal time from the main event?" Apex seemed pretty dang popular this year, so they're really complaining to the air.

next time you enjoy staying up all night for what you wanted to see that should have been on hours ago, let me know.

Also imo the specific matches didn't help at all. Sheik dittos on fd was cool at first, but it got old fast, especially when neither could kill, and needles, so much neutral, etc... Then there were the Diddy matches, which I shouldn't have to explain, though it seens like people enjoed the fact that diddy has kill power which made it slightly better for me at least.

Edited by ID Thanatos

next time you enjoy staying up all night for what you wanted to see that should have been on hours ago, let me know.

No.

NO!

If I have to do something the next day, I'll see if I can catch the archive later. If things don't go according to plan, I try my best to work around it. But acting like what was outlined in the article? Completely unacceptable, especially for something that's essentially a hobby for most.

I think the best plan would have been to have two streams going if one took too long or whatever so things are on when they are scheduled to be on. That's what I meant when its partly on the tournament organizers since they didn't have a plan if things took too long other than have people wait for a really long time, and its not out of the ordinary for people to start getting frustrated and impatient. Obviously you hope people aren't rude and what not but they are still people.

I find it rather hypocritical that Diddy apparently makes Smash 4 so boring*, but Fox/Falco matches permeating 80% of Melee apparently never gets old. Honestly, I enjoy Smash 4 more than Melee these days because I feel like I've already seen every Melee match that will ever be played (and I've only even been watching for maybe a year and a half). I love Melee and all, but sometimes the spectators want to see something a little different, and it seems there are some people out there who need this fact rammed into their think skull.

*For the record, I am rather annoyed at Diddy Kong in Smash 4, but there's still a greater variety of characters being used in Smash 4 than Melee.

The whole situation is dumb. Melee has in the past also gone overtime in terms of how long it's taken for them to finish up pissing off the next group like with SF at EVO, and Melee's top 8 ended up running longer than Sm4sh's top 8. Maybe some Melee fans just look at Sm4sh as something they can look down on since the fighting game community constantly looks down on Melee/Smash. Regardless, this kind of behavior isn't acceptable regardless of who's watching what, especially in a community like Smash where these people are going to be stuck with each other for years to come.

I never stated that the behavior was okay (i don't think it is). It's just something to keep in mind. Smash 4 wasn't the main event. Melee, the main event, was undeniably pushed to a less than optimal time, which was what I was getting at, and it should be expected that people would be upset about it (not to the level it reached though).

Edited by ID Thanatos

The whole situation is dumb. Melee has in the past also gone overtime in terms of how long it's taken for them to finish up pissing off the next group like with SF at EVO, and Melee's top 8 ended up running longer than Sm4sh's top 8. Maybe some Melee fans just look at Sm4sh as something they can look down on since the fighting game community constantly looks down on Melee/Smash. Regardless, this kind of behavior isn't acceptable regardless of who's watching what, especially in a community like Smash where these people are going to be stuck with each other for years to come.

just an fyi on how melee top 8 took longer

Yeah, no, Melee had more than 10 games more than Smash 4 and only took 15 minutes more. Average time for a Melee game in top 8 was a bit over 4 and a half minutes. Average time for a Smash 4 game, with 2 stocks, 6-minute time limit, was over 5 and a half minutes.

I'm not going to give these guys a pass based on "oh they were just mad about it being late" because the exact same thing happened last year with brawl when nairo won his first major. It's not just frustration, it's just outright disrespectful and toxic behaviour that shouldn't be excused so easily.

Considering how the same happened to melee at evo last year you'd think there would be more unity...

Looks like some entitled pricks were in attendance. I'm happy that they are being called out. Yeah the delays sucked, but that wasn't the fault of the SSB4 players.

...wow. I haven't been to this particular subforums in a while and this is the first thing I see. I was actually hoping back before Smash 4 got released that Melee fans would calm down for once.

I find it rather hypocritical that Diddy apparently makes Smash 4 so boring, but Fox/Falco matches permeating 80% of Melee apparently never gets old. Honestly, I enjoy Smash 4 more than Melee these days because I feel like I've already seen every Melee match that will ever be played (and I've only even been watching for maybe a year and a half). I love Melee and all, but sometimes the spectators want to see something a little different, and it seems there are some people out there who need this fact rammed into their think skull.

I was thinking the reason some Smash 4 matches took so long was that people don't want to get clobbered by the HOO HAH and were trying their hardest to avoid it.

It's not just frustration, it's just outright disrespectful and toxic behaviour that shouldn't be excused so easily.

But still not the fault of the SSB4 players, who were ultimately the most affected by the shitty behaviour.

Moral of the story don't be an asshole at the tournament.

I totes agree with this. It's like Melee fans want every other game in the series to be just like Melee. Moral of the story: Melee fans don't know how to simply get over it for once.

I don't know how wrong and inaccurate this is, but I've been getting suspicious that it was because of behavior from rabid Melee fans like this that got Nintendo to almost ban Melee from EVO. I mean, these same fans pretty much booted Brawl off the competitive scene and made Project M a reality, which Nintendo most likely saw as a complete monstrosity.

Melee was almost banned at EVO not because of its fanbase, but due to not having the rights to stream and even host the game. It got revoked when the community decided to show their support for the game by having #FreeMelee become the most trending thing on Twitter. They also almost raised $100,000 for breast cancer to get Melee played at the event originally

The Melee fanbase itself isn't toxic. Well, you do get some that are strictly Melee, but they're minute in number. What people have to realise is that APEX, the biggest Smash tournament of the year (and the biggest one to have ever happened), was almost cancelled due to a sudden venue change 40 miles away. Friday didn't happen, so everything had to be condensed into two days. Everyone was exhausted, and probably a bit stressed at the whole situation. It's also no lie Melee was the hotspot of the event, even if Smash 4 was pushed. The majority of people who attended APEX wanted to play and/or watch Melee, not Smash 4. What happened to ZeRo and the entire Smash 4 competitive scene was unfortunate and disrespectful, but Smash 4 was delaying the one game most people came to see: Melee. People were bound to get obnoxious. All you need is one guy to ignite the kindle and you have a fire starting in seconds

I'm not saying that the crowd's actions were justified or even correct, but try to see their side on the matter and accept it. I'm going to hazard a guess that some of those people who chanted for Melee are probably feeling bad right now; they were just caught up in the moment

I would love for the divide between Melee and the other Smash games (not sure if 64 goes here or not) to completely disappear. Whether that happens or not, though, is up to the community itself. I personally don't see it ever happening

Edited by DodgeDusk

...wow. I haven't been to this particular subforums in a while and this is the first thing I see. I was actually hoping back before Smash 4 got released that Melee fans would calm down for once.

I was thinking the reason some Smash 4 matches took so long was that people don't want to get clobbered by the HOO HAH and were trying their hardest to avoid it.

I totes agree with this. It's like Melee fans want every other game in the series to be just like Melee. Moral of the story: Melee fans don't know how to simply get over it for once.

I don't know how wrong and inaccurate this is, but I've been getting suspicious that it was because of behavior from rabid Melee fans like this that got Nintendo to almost ban Melee from EVO. I mean, these same fans pretty much booted Brawl off the competitive scene and made Project M a reality, which Nintendo most likely saw as a complete monstrosity.

well it's a shame they want more games like the one they play and love

Have you seen what brawl looks like competitively? It isn't pretty.