I Hope This Doesn't Start A Flame War...

Randoman

I'm not saying that the crowd's actions were justified or even correct, but try to see their side on the matter and accept it.

I did consider their side of the matter. It's a shitty, uncontrollable situation to be in. Still asshole behaviour under nearly any circumstance. They're all thinking and hoping SSB4 will end soon, but are keeping it quiet and respectful. Then one asshole goes off chanting and booing and the rest follow suit like brainless lemmings. Like a bunch of children. Really quite embarrassing.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

idc what the context is, those shouts of "MAY-LAY, MAY-LAY, MAY-LAY" were completely unacceptable

I sure hope we don't see any of that bullshit at EVO this year

the only shouts I want to hear during EVO grand finals are "PROJECT M, PROJECT M"

...wow. I haven't been to this particular subforums in a while and this is the first thing I see. I was actually hoping back before Smash 4 got released that Melee fans would calm down for once.

I was thinking the reason some Smash 4 matches took so long was that people don't want to get clobbered by the HOO HAH and were trying their hardest to avoid it.

I totes agree with this. It's like Melee fans want every other game in the series to be just like Melee. Moral of the story: Melee fans don't know how to simply get over it for once.

I don't know how wrong and inaccurate this is, but I've been getting suspicious that it was because of behavior from rabid Melee fans like this that got Nintendo to almost ban Melee from EVO. I mean, these same fans pretty much booted Brawl off the competitive scene and made Project M a reality, which Nintendo most likely saw as a complete monstrosity.

Its not like some FE fans want the new game to be more like older games and less like awakening......... oh wait. Also brawl tourney's still go on, they just are not anywhere near as popular as melee.

I find it rather hypocritical that Diddy apparently makes Smash 4 so boring*, but Fox/Falco matches permeating 80% of Melee apparently never gets old. Honestly, I enjoy Smash 4 more than Melee these days because I feel like I've already seen every Melee match that will ever be played (and I've only even been watching for maybe a year and a half). I love Melee and all, but sometimes the spectators want to see something a little different, and it seems there are some people out there who need this fact rammed into their think skull.*For the record, I am rather annoyed at Diddy Kong in Smash 4, but there's still a greater variety of characters being used in Smash 4 than Melee.

let's give melee the little character variety credit it deserves. Yes, fox and flaco are obviously the most used, but there's also a decent amount of sheik, marth, puff, falcon, and peach mains put there. It's definitely not 80%... Smash 4 still destroys it in character viability though.

Melee elitists are terrible people, but meh. Not all people who like Melee do that. Although I would have screamed for Brawl to be at Apex if i had been in the crowd playing Melee in the ear of anyone who brushed ZeRo aside.

I was kind of reluctant to update this thread with words from the person who should've been most affected/hurt by this (ZeRo, the Smash 4 tournament winner), but seeing how his words are quite noble, go to the heart of the issue, and doesn't put down the Melee fanbase, I thought it'd be worth posting:

“I’ve been wanting to win an Apex for many, many years. I’ve dreamed of the moment where I can finally hold that trophy and just smile. But when the crowd was cheering it wasn’t for me, it was for the fact the game was over and they can now see Melee.

It wasn't anything personal, just a very respectful thing to do in general. I wrote a post detailing how we should act towards that in a more productive way as a community and to not simply focus on how it affected me personally. It wasn’t cool and my heart was crushed, but I was only annoyed at the individuals who went ahead with it. I’m not saying all Melee players do this, but this is to those who did. Let’s make things different. Don’t apologise to me, that’s not important. What’s important is fixing an issue in the community.”