Editing Map Tile Palettes

Vagrant

Hello Serenes Forest

My question is really a simple one, though the answer I fear, may not be. Especially considering my inexperience. I've just begun using and testing the most basic of hacking utilities out there.

Basically, I'd like to go from this...

post-13559-0-24847100-1423250983_thumb.png

To this~

post-13559-0-88474000-1423251018_thumb.png

post-13559-0-50668900-1423251077_thumb.png

And this too, perhaps.

post-13559-0-14087200-1423251059_thumb.png

These are just mock-ups for me to daydream about.

I've been all over Nightmare and FEditor, and added a good number of portraits and a custom sprite, not to mention extensive text edits, through plenty of trial and error and a few gigs worth of corrupted roms, deleted in my Recycle Bin. My edits have gotten to the point where I've been getting a bit over-ambitious for my skill level.

I've skipped over a specific tutorial here that dealt with extracting and inserting the 'battle frames' seen in the above picture with Sain. (shadowofchaos' "Inserting Custom Battle Frames, to be specific. http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=25045 )I thought it was a little bit too much, so I figured I'd do with a recolour instead.

Is there any way to access/see/edit these specific palletes, that is also hopefully simple to accomplish?

Edited by Vagrant

map palettes you have to edit manually via hex(or you can do it with ferecolor but it requires some patience).

Uh... It's somewhat of a long process, but I feel like I did a tutorial on this already, I'll go look and come back.

of course I didn't, great.

I guess I'll make one when I get some time to; but basically you have to edit each color manually(the location of the palette you can find in nightmare).

or you could ask me to just do that palette for you if you can apply the same colors to the entire tileset.

Edited by Skitty of Time

Hex editors... Brilliant.

...I really hate hex editors. (Don't really know why.)

I had hoped this would have been possible without looking at the things.

As far as I gather, there's like a ton of map palettes around, too.

Wouldn't the same 'recolouring' effect be accomplished with GBage, or a tile map inserter?

I'm all ears for the Feditor way though, and patience to spare. I'm a pixel artist, after all.

Edited by Vagrant

no and no; neither of those allow you to manually edit colors(gbage you can import a palette iirc but you'd need to know the order of the colors in the tileset which would require a hex editor).

APE is an alternative if you don't want to use hxd(but hxd is a much faster method when combined with fercolor.

yeah, I typed feditor instead of ferecolor, sorry

There's no need to open a hex editor (aside from Nightmare) to edit map palettes. In fact, you can do it entirely with GBAGE as you would with almost any other graphic.

1, Go to the Chapter Data Editor in Nightmare

2, look at the chapter's map palette and tileset

3, go to those places in the list in the Event References module and write down their locations in the rom

4, open GBAGE; paste the location of the tileset graphics in the Image Control box; paste the palette's location in the Palette Control box

5, click Save as Bitmap; save the image anywhere

6, open the image using Usenti (not paint because that can mess up the order of the colors!)

7, on the right side where the palette is, click the button that says "16". The 256-color palette you see actually contains one 16-color sub-palette per row (this is how maps appear to have more than 16 colors). There's a different row for grass, one for mountains/walls, one for rivers, etc. Click on the bar to the left of the palette to change which sub-palette you're viewing.

8, use the Red, Green, and Blue sliders for the colors to change them to whatever you want. After you're done, make sure you switch back to the first sub-palette and turn off the "16" button.

9, click Import a Bitmap to insert the graphic in GBAGE— but UNCHECK "Import Graphics" so it only imports the palette.

After that all that's left is to test it in-game and perfect the colors. One thing to pay special attention to is grass, since the grass in the corners of tiles for cliffs, road, etc all have their own colors that are separate from the main grass tiles' colors.

Edited by Alusq

This conflicts with what was told before, but makes sense.

Yet still. I once tried to use GBage to edit palettes before, namely the title screen palette, among others. It managed to screw up plenty of things.

Is it because some of these palettes are compressed?

(Or it could've been just Graphics Gale being used instead of Usenti, so, nvm.)

The title screen stuff's palette works the same with sub-palettes as the tilesets do, if I recall correctly. One sub-palette is the "FIRE EMBLEM" logo, another is the Durandal, another is the Armads, another is the "© Nintendo" at the bottom, etc.

I don't think that they're compressed to any meaningful amount to cause any trouble. What you insert with Usenti/GBAGE is usually what you get in-game.