What do you want to see return in If that wasn't in Awakening?

Alex95

A few things I want to see return that I was disappointed to find that Awakening didn't have are 1) the wheather. Fog of War and rain properties added a different experiance in the GBA titles that I wanted to see return and 2) more map clear options. All there was were route enemies and defeat boss. No sieze, defend, escape, etc. and I would like to see those return.

Better "homebase" things. Pointing towards Path of Radiance here. There were always some sort of interesting conversation to read at the base, but in Awakening it was just generic 2 liners. I would agree on weather as well as map clear. FE just isn't FE without at least one fog of war map (I hate them so much..), and "rout"/"defeat the boss" was tiresome. An endgame dungeon perhaps a la ruins of lagdou which provided a bit of fun for me postgame in sacred stones. I wouldn't mind a routesplit either, since that adds some replayability for me. Lastly I would love a team arena thing like there was in FE8 (and presumably FE7 though I can't remember). It was pretty entertaining pitting my top 5 mvp's from one file against another and seeing them duke it out.

I agree with you on all accounts a diversity of map win conditions helps make the game far less repetitive(not to mention route and defeat boss have always been the most dull win conditions in terms of strategy) and mix up strategy(particularly in the case of escape and defend maps)

I would like to see the return of status effects by both weapons and staves, light magic, magic triangle, S proficiency for legendary weapons, stealing, ballista, siege tomes for all magic type) and defensive structures

for things that are more in the extreme pipe dream category I'd like to see 3rd tier classes again but I don't ever expect to see them again...

Status Effects (Silence, Poison, Sleep, Berserk), staves that inflict them, staves and items that cure them, and weapons that have a chance of inflicting them

Stat Boosts staves that boost something other than resistance

Monks, Light Magic, Bishops, Magic Triangle

Escape Maps/Defend Chapters etc.

Stealing Items from Enemies.

Base Conversations

Let's see...

* Thraccia's Fog of War

* Magic Triangle, perhaps the Anima one as well

* More map goal diversity

* Status Effects

And perhaps also Tellius's 'Innate' and 'Mastery' skill system with equippable extras (although perhaps not with a capacity limit, but a number limit like Awakening)

As to weather, I can't help but agree with SecondWorld - it sounds like a good idea on paper, but in actual practice, all it did was be annoying and slow everything down. Also, am I the only one here who felt the magic triangle reeked of being counterintuitive, in addition to being some filler relic from the Jugdral games?

Let's see...

* Thraccia's Fog of War

* Magic Triangle, perhaps the Anima one as well

* More map goal diversity

* Status Effects

And perhaps also Tellius's 'Innate' and 'Mastery' skill system with equippable extras (although perhaps not with a capacity limit, but a number limit like Awakening)

Technically, Radiant Dawn did have a number limit as well, but it was unlikely you'd actually get to stack 6 skills on a character.

Edited by Levant Caprice

Light magic/magic triangle

A better base system

More victory objectives

Better maps

Tellius skill system/third tier classes

Radiant Dawn's climbing ledge/higher ground thing

Breaking doors rather than being restricted to thieves or keys

Animations that explain how bows shoot through solid walls

Higher (while fair) difficulty and gameplay mechanics from past games (that were likely already mentioned).

Next, if they bring back casual-mode, they should punish people playing that way some more, blocking certain parts of the game or not showing them the real ending.

Also, less focus on the support-system.

Here we go again!

• more mission types (defend, escape...)
  • all the staves from the GBA series
  • magic bows (flaming arrows, thunderbolts)
  • melee range bows (crossbows)
  • ballistas
  • fug of war maps
  • GBA and FE9 support system
  • steal command for thieves
  • bringing back third tier class instead of endless reclassing
  • weapon weight
  • triangle attack
  • Falcon Knights use swords
  • light magic and priest / bishop class
  • ledge feature from FE10
  • automatic promotion as in FE9 + 10

Or easier said: Almost everything

Edited by The Taninator

Here we go again!

• more mission types (defend, escape...)
  • all the staves from the GBA series
  • magic bows (flaming arrows, thunderbolts)
  • melee range bows (crossbows)
  • ballistas
  • fug of war maps
  • GBA and FE9 support system
  • steal command for thieves
  • bringing back third tier class instead of endless reclassing
  • weapon weight
  • triangle attack
  • Falcon Knights use swords
  • light magic and priest / bishop class
  • ledge feature from FE10
  • better AI (enemies can trade / and use vulneraries)
  • automatic promotion as in FE9 + 10

Or easier said: Almost everything

First bold: I don't know why you'd want the GBA support system back... tethering units to each other to build support rank was not a very good idea, to say the least. Especially when most supports were slow to build.

Second bold: Enemies actually COULD trade and use healing items in Awakening, but given that you don't see that many enemies with healing items in Awakening, you likely wouldn't know that.

Also, I dunno about you, but I wouldn't see the need for a magic based bow, given that it'd likely be a gimmick at best.

First bold: I don't know why you'd want the GBA support system back... tethering units to each other to build support rank was not a very good idea, to say the least. Especially when most supports were slow to build.

Agreed with second part.

However it was a fair system. The boosts weren't too ridiculous as they're in FE13.

Second bold: Enemies actually COULD trade and use healing items in Awakening, but given that you don't see that many enemies with healing items in Awakening, you likely wouldn't know that.

True... my memories are complety gone already.

NPCs used vulneraries or elixirs (Libra, Say'ri...)

Edited by The Taninator

Agreed with second part.

However it was a fair system. The boosts weren't too ridiculous as they're in FE13.

I kinda disagree on it being fair, because of how affinity dependent it was. And that's another thing - the affinity based support system got convoluted, especially since you were never told what affinities gave what (in the GBA games, at least).

I admit I did prefer gba support bonuses themselves. Affinity based and small when it came to the Atk/Def, and complex with crit and avo and the like. Not this ridiculous +5Str/Def/+1mov bonuses in prologue with no actual acquired support points

I admit I did prefer gba support bonuses themselves. Affinity based and small when it came to the Atk/Def, and complex with crit and avo and the like. Not this ridiculous +5Str/Def/+1mov bonuses in prologue with no actual acquired support points

Dual system and pair up are mutually exclusive to an extent - you could use the former without using the latter.

I wouldn't mind having the GBA support back, as long as there was some indication as to when we could support or not.

Also, one thing I want to see appear, whether it was in a past FE game or not, is some sort of custom class creation. Similar to character creation, but with classes instead.

Higher (while fair) difficulty and gameplay mechanics from past games (that were likely already mentioned).

Next, if they bring back casual-mode, they should punish people playing that way some more, blocking certain parts of the game or not showing them the real ending.

I like having access to a variety of difficulties. I would love to see at least 5. A difficulty level roughly equivalent to each awakening difficulty. and one between hard and lunatic.

As for punishing easy mode, i HATE it when games do this. I play games to unwind, which often means easy. Being made fun of because i am not playing through the game in the matter the developers happen to perfer is no fun at all. Imagine if the developers purposely locked you out of the true ending for LTCing the game, for no reason other than that was not how they intended you to play it. That's essentially equivalent (heck, the dificulty examle is worse because the developers include an option in the game, that actively punish you for using it). This is especialy true for casual mode, because the entire POINT of that feature is to reduce frustration. I will admit that i tend to savestate in older fes entirely to avoid redoing an hour worth of chapter because the boss got a lucky crit. Sure, it's possible to mostly avoid that kind of thing if you are paying hawklike attention, but that's the point. I don't want to always pay hawklike attention when I'm trying to unwind from the stress of real life. Punishing that kind of thing is essentially saying. "hah, you're trying to RELAX? To bad. Only scrubs allowed in THIS franchise." Not that i can't see the point of classic. I totally can (it prevents repeated intentional suicides as a strategy, and forces you to think through things better). It is just nice to allow additional difficulties for people who want to play through in different ways.