What do you want to see return in If that wasn't in Awakening?

Alex95

I wouldn't mind having the GBA support back, as long as there was some indication as to when we could support or not.

To be fair, there was something like that in the GBA games, but the real problem is that characters like Serra that had no fast building supports got screwed over. I mean, it's more than enough of an inconvenience to tether units next to each other for dozens of turns to build up enough support points to unlock ONE of, let alone the 5 supports you could get in the GBA games, but it gets even worse when you have characters whose supports all build up sloooooowly.

To be fair, there was something like that in the GBA games, but the real problem is that characters like Serra that had no fast building supports got screwed over. I mean, it's more than enough of an inconvenience to tether units next to each other for dozens of turns to build up enough support points to unlock ONE of, let alone the 5 supports you could get in the GBA games, but it gets even worse when you have characters whose supports all build up sloooooowly.

I just realised that i accidentally locked myself out of ike-soren A in POR (and thus a large chunk of RD's plot) by not bringing Soren on the desert chapter because he would not have done anything. I like the GBA and awakening systems better simply because it is much harder to lock yourself out of a support on accident.

Edited by sirmola

I just realised that i accidentally locked myself out of ike-soren A in POR (and thus a large chunk of RD's plot) by not bringing Soren on the desert chapter because he would not have done anything. I like the GBA and awakening systems better simply because it is much harder to lock yourself out of a support on accident.

Bold: All I have to say is "What...? Why would you not bring him to the desert, other than you were just not planning on using him? It ain't like it's Ike-Titania, where the A requires fielding Titania for pretty much the entire game." That said, did you trigger the A support with someone else?

Incidentally, I generally found the support bonuses in GBA rather underwhelming for what I have to go through just to benefit from them...

Edited by Levant Caprice

I don't really see why people liked the PoR support system. The GBA method was tedious and illogical but at least you could A-support anyone if you were patient enough. With PoR, the game screwed you over if you decided not to use a unit for a mission. Awakening makes way more sense and is easier in most cases as well.

As for things I'd like added back in, practically everything that was in the GBA games that wasn't in Awakening, including:

-Strength based magical weapons

-Poison, Silence, Stone, Sleep, Berserk inducing weapons

-Reaver weapons

-Balistas on the map

-More victory conditions

-Light magic and Dark magic

-Alternate missions/New game from different perspective

-Thieves being able to steal

-More meaningful terrain

-characters being recruited by someone besides the Lord

Also, Soldiers/Halberdiers from Tellius.

I don't really see why people liked the PoR support system. The GBA method was tedious and illogical but at least you could A-support anyone if you were patient enough. With PoR, the game screwed you over if you decided not to use a unit for a mission. Awakening makes way more sense and is easier in most cases as well.

As for things I'd like added back in, practically everything that was in the GBA games that wasn't in Awakening, including:

-Strength based magical weapons

-Poison, Silence, Stone, Sleep, Berserk inducing weapons

-Reaver weapons

-Balistas on the map

-More victory conditions

-Light magic and Dark magic

-Alternate missions/New game from different perspective

-Thieves being able to steal

-More meaningful terrain

-characters being recruited by someone besides the Lord

Also, Soldiers/Halberdiers from Tellius.

Bold: I'd say that you answered your own question there. I'm sure there are others who hated how some characters pretty much needed you to have the patience of a saint just to have get any supports.

Bold: I'd say that you answered your own question there. I'm sure there are others who hated how some characters pretty much needed you to have the patience of a saint just to have get any supports.

Sure, but I wonder why people bring up PoR supports as something they wanted back in the base Awakening game when Awakening already does a better job at it..

I'd say pretty much everything that was not in Awakening.

-Rescue

-Weather

-Diversity of mission types

-Breaking doors with weapons

-Tird tier

-Branched promotions

-Auto promotion

-Fog of war

-Ballista

-Capture system

-Wi fi system from Shadow Dragon but with many things added

-Base system from Radiant Dawn (it was better)

-Skill system from Radiant Dawn

-Stealing

-Every class that was before, unique class maybe for spotpass or what?

And everything i forgot.

But please, i don't want to see the reclassing anymore..

Edited by Metakirby

-Rescue

-Weather

-Tird tier

-Branched promotions

-Auto promotion

-Fog of war

-Ballista

-Capture system

-Stealing

And everything i forgot.

The bolded portion: Did I not play the same Awakening that you did?

I also wanna bring the other units in our army that are supposedly fighting on the sidelines into the real battle. I've seen Ike talking to Soldiers and Paladins claiming they're fighting, but I have yet to see them do anything.

-Rescue

-Weather

-Tird tier

-Branched promotions

-Auto promotion

-Fog of war

-Ballista

-Capture system

-Stealing

And everything i forgot.

Also this, but I kind of like the reclassing.

Knives, crossbows, blades, great weapons, weapons like poleaxes/longswords back, light magic and other awesome weaponry I'm probably forgetting. Also, bring back certain skills from RD that were awesome like adept, resolve, daunt, provoke and beef up existing skills like wrath to be the powerhouse skills they were in PoR. But not FE4 or 5, wrath for example in those games was broken as hell. Awesome as it was, I wouldn't want to see that in more than two games. Also, bring back meaningful support conversations rather than the quick and flirty ones. Make the base as awesome as FE4's home castle, with an arena and everything. Make it so that you can trade as much as you want in one turn like in older games. And lastly....

BRING BACK CANTO! Seriously, I don't get why it wasn't in the gba games. I don't get why it wasn't in Awakening, come on man. (FE11 and 12 I can understand the reasoning, but it should have been in those games too.)

Edited by DomesticHausCat

I would like to see at least a couple expansive maps with multiple save points and events a la FE4 or that one chapter in PoR. Also, more platonic supports alongside the romantic ones, especially when it comes to guy-girl relationships. I'm more of a sucker for mushy friendship than mushy love, I guess.

Less importantly, bring back the reasonable-looking legendary weapons. The electric weps in Awakening were cool, but some of the designs for the legendary weapons were stupid (Hauteclere, Vengeance, Mercurius). Granted, not all of the legendary weapons looked ridiculous, but I'd still like there to be little to none of that.

Good map and level design, seriousness in the story, and general character identity.

If you don't know what I mean about the last one, every character was one-dimensional with one gimmick and limited combat identity in 13. Screw that. I'd take even FE10-level imbalance over having my army be boring.

Return of the magic weapon triangle (Light, Dark and anima).

Well thought out enemy placement.

More varied chapter objectives, settings and weather conditions.

Canto for horsemen.

The old support system from GBAFE (Quality over quantity please).

Status conditions and special staves.

Third tier classes.

Class exclusive skills (some skills are just to good on other classes galeforce )

Hard mode which doesn't mostly consit of giving the enemies a crit chance (that's not difficulty that's just being cheap).

If monster encounters for grinding return, a tower of valni or lagdou ruins, they're much less boring grinding ways then fighting monsters on beaten story maps.

Return of the magic weapon triangle (Light, Dark and anima).

Should I assume you also want some extra caster classes to go with that? Can't really say I'm on-board with this. See, more magic types means more magic users. The issue there is that attack magic is already extremely good in ways that are deeply entrenched in The Way Things Are Done. I mean, I'd expect that's why you're basically asking for more mages, right? Reclassing could alleviate some oversaturation... but let's be honest, it'd probably do exactly the opposite. And then you'd want to include special effects only available to certain types to make them feel more distinct, which again, tomes are plenty useful without. It also complicates the issue of making tomes available to mixed-type classes, which I like the idea of, but I know a lot of folks don't and this is a fairly small gripe anyway. Point is, magic doesn't need to diversify like that; it's already got the advantage of just being magic.

Besides, "Dark" and "Light" magic specifically feel like they should be... different somehow. Special. Even more so than magic in general. Access to dark casters was sparse even in the GBA games, right? Remember Canas? Bet you do, since he had literally no competition. And yet, that felt right. But at the same time, it'd be like... ever played a romhack that gave you practically no axe users? It's like that, but with too few lances on top of it. Either that or it doesn't come up often enough to matter, in which case why bother? (What was even the point of Canas besides using Luna? I forgot.)

Tellius base system, Tellius skill system, map design that doesn't suck, maaaybe a method of weapon weighting down so long as it's a stat with growths instead of something like Con, please no fog of war it's like ambush spawns only on normal mode as well, a variety of map goals, the magic triangle, Rescue, Sword falcon knights, the Path of Radiance skill system so I can (friend)ship whoever I like instead of just units that want to be in the same place, Bonus EXP instead of grinding. I wouldn't mind something like Hector Mode for replayability. Ballistas.

Magic triangle

Rescue command

Third-tier classes

More varied objectives such as seize the throne or survive for X turns

More spread-out difficulty spikes

Ballistician

Soldier

Enemy-only classes

Fog of War

Wi-Fi

Edited by Lord_Seliph

-Rescue

-Weather

-Tird tier

-Branched promotions

-Auto promotion

-Fog of war

-Ballista

-Capture system

-Stealing

And everything i forgot.

The bolded portion: Did I not play the same Awakening that you did?

I just did this list very quickly, so yeah that was an error ^^

-Capturing

-Less money, so as to incentivize capturing

-No game-breaking DLC. Ever. Not even after the game's been out for a year.

-Zero-consequence grinding

-Fatigue system

-Stat caps of 20 for better unit balance. Anything over 30 was stat-stratified lunacy in the first place

-Character-related skills. No more "you get this skill at level ___" bullshit that basically incentivized reclassing and grinding for skills for maximum efficiency. It rewards the player wasting his/her time on grinding, and if I wanted that I'd play a goddamn MMORPG.

-A consequence for reclassing (as in, if that unit couldn't naturally promote to that class, then he/she will get the growths, but not the skill). Or better yet,

-No reclassing at all (or at least, make it unlockable only after clearing the game once).

-A story that has focus and pacing, instead of trying to be 3 stories in one. You want good pacing, you slow it the fuck down to a speed that organically works at a storytelling level. Awakening did not work.

You can say "Don't Say Her Name" is all kinds of amazing, and it is, but that still doesn't change the fact that you couldn't be as invested in Emmeryn's death as the actual people mourning her in the game, and that's because you have basically nothing to her character other than "I WANT PEACE!" She's insufferably idealistic with no sense of depth; she's like Paz from Peace Walker (in fact, even Paz admits in the end that the whole "peace-lover" routine was bullshit). And what's more, you find out that she didn't even die. What the fuck? If you're going to have a poignant moment of self-sacrifice in a story, even one in a story as rushed as Awakening, then you don't renege that, hell, you don't renege a character's death in general without a fucking good reason, to which Awakening has none.

Seriously, fuck Awakening's storytelling. The more you think about it, the more it sucks.

Edited by Kysafen

~Sword-wielding generals. Bring. Them. Back. FE10 imo was their best outing. High strength, sword-wielding non-Lord/special classes have always felt like a far cry to me. The only reason I don't make my Avatar a Great Knight is because I prefer to be on foot.

~Ranged swords from FE10 (Wind Edge, Storm Sword, Tempest Blade). Not that it has to be those particular ones. Still, when you have javelins and hand axes and variations thereof, it's nice when swords aren't left out. Two things about them that need to change, though:

1. Don't make characters throw them like they did in Awakening, except maybe the thief classes. Otherwise, make them launch shockwaves or blasts of wind like in FE10.
  2. Should the particular ranged swords from FE10 return (and even if they don't), for the love of Naga please buff their hit rates. I know ranged weapons typically have slightly lower hit rate than 1-range ones do, but they were just messed up in FE10. I mean; 60, 50, and 55 hit respectively for the ranged swords. What the heck!? They are swords for goodness sake, they should never have such low hit rates. In Awakening,.Amatsu had 60 hit while Ragnell had 70. For Ragnell, that's not bad given it formerly had 80 hit in its glorious Tellius days. I'd say, don't let'em dip below 70.

If this looks like FE10 bias, you should know that Radiant Dawn was my favorite FE game (and still is in the gameplay department) until Awakening came along.