Fire Emblem: Magvel 803 - Alternate Story Act Three

Shin

The man simply nodded, accepting Kassem's money. "Good, now get out. This ain't a library."

"That's right, you're right," the man replied, quickly sliding the small idol into his pocket and holding the two swords under his arm. It took most all of his strength to do so, as evidenced by the heavy grunt he made as picked up each one. "I'll be right out," he continued taking the book in his free hand and dashing out the door. A quick glance at the level of sunlight revealed that it would still be a bit before he needed to be at the capital, but he certainly wasn't going back into that store and didn't want to risk getting wrapped up in something else and being late. So, he started a slow trek in the general direction, intending to meander around it and get a feel for the surroundings, as well as be early to attend when the time came. Once he'd make it a fair distance away from the Pawn Shop, he mumbled something intelligible under his breath. "What a prick."

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meeting with destiny

After each of the group had finished their various activities, the sounding of the clock tower signified it was time. Meeting up with Thwomp at the palace, the group were lead forwards into the palace, past lines of guards and through several doors. Not one of the guards nor Thwomp spoke a word until a pause at a large wooden door. Their guide turned back to them.

"General Valter will see you now. I hope you know to keep your manners."

As the door opened, the cruel visage of the general met their eyes, sitting at the far end of a table, smiling intently.

"Do sit down, I have little taste for formalities... I would much rather get to business." he called, his voice sending shivers down any spines in the vicinity.

"I've heard much of your talents on the battlefield... even slaying General Seth. I only wish I'd been there to savour his flesh on my spear. However, there are other matters to attend to. Rigwald was nearly taken by Prince Ephraim... it seems Frelia have gotten involved.

I require a potent force, one that I can trust... and who better than those who completely reversed a siege and killed General Seth. If there are any questions or even... requests or objections, I will grant you permission to humour me."

Edited by Shin

Well this fellow seemed like he was a few cows short of a dairy farm! But Fred didn't say nothin' about that. He only had one thing to bring up at this 'ere meetin'. "Well, yer generalness, I went myself to the barracks t'day and dun heard some talk that Seth's still alive, fightin' down at Rigwald'n try'na take it." He nodded a few times. "I'd like us to go'n figure out what's what with that. I know Seth's dead, watched him die. I'm figurin' some imposter's gone an' made trouble."

Sending shivers down spines that voice did. Just the General's gaze gave Alex the creeps, what was up with him? Wasn't he fired thanks ta some slaughter? Why was he promoted back again? Gulping, Alex complied and sat a bit far away from his end of the table, listening with actual interest when Fred spoke of a Seth that shouldn't exist. "I haven't heard 'bout that. I do suppose if Rigwald's where we're supposed ta go anyways, then it's more reason to see what got people sayin' that."

Edited by Xinnidy

Despite being at the palace rather early, Kassem was not at the front of the group, instead secluded himself around the middle, the bodies of him comrades providing a valuable wall of meat shields in the event of danger. Thus, it came as no surprise that he gulped as quietly as he could when the name 'Valter' was mentioned. Upon the door being opened to reveal the general, he immediately shriveled, silently backing away to place more people between the two of them and glancing back over his shoulder, then around the rest of the room before finally forcing himself to look at the Wyvern Rider addressing them. His discomfort continued to grow as his speech went on.

"Hey," he whispered to the person closest to him, who happened to be Thea. "Didn't we just fight zombies, you know, this week?" Kassem had not been present when Seth was slain, but he trusted the rest of the group was being honest about their feat, if for no other reason than because Fred said it. Thus the idea of him still riding around was both odd and worrisome, mostly the latter. The idea was in his mind, true or even likely it might not have been, that the Seth seen alive and well might have not exactly have been the former. If that was the case, then there was no telling what person of obscene power would be brought back and thrown against them. If it wasn't, well, either way there was someone who was presumably strong enough to pass for Seth, and that was someone he would have to fight. He dare not speak out about the order though, he was only in the army as payment for his thefts, so he had no desire to try and gain favors with any officials of it, yet alone General Valter.

Posted · Hidden by Nightmare, March 15, 2015 - No reason given
Hidden by Nightmare, March 15, 2015 - No reason given

Despite being at the palace rather early, Kassem was not at the front of the group, instead secluded himself around the middle, the bodies of him comrades providing a valuable wall of meat shields in the event of danger. Thus, it came as no surprise that he gulped as quietly as he could when the name 'Valter' was mentioned. Upon the door being opened to reveal the general, he immediately shriveled, silently backing away to place more people between the two of them and glancing back over his shoulder, then around the rest of the room before finally forcing himself to look at the Wyvern Rider addressing them. His discomfort continued to grow as his speech went on.

"Hey," he whispered to the person closest to him, who happened to be Thea. "Didn't we just fight zombies, you know, this week?" Kassem had not been present when Seth was slain, but he trusted the rest of the group was being honest about their feat, if for no other reason than because Fred said it. Thus the idea of him still riding around was both odd and worrisome, mostly the latter. The idea was in his mind, true or even likely it might not have been, that the Seth seen alive and well might have not exactly have been the former. If that was the case, then there was no telling what person of obscene power would be brought back and thrown against them. If it wasn't, well, either way there was someone who was presumably strong enough to pass for Seth, and that was someone he would have to fight. He dare not speak out about the order though, he was only in the army as payment for his thefts, so he had no desire to try and gain favors with any officials of it, yet alone General Valter.

"Eh?" Mercedes seemed to be a bit... preoccupied with cleaning out her ears at the time. This so-called 'general' was too creepy anyways. Like that guy who gave her that weird gem earlier. That was... a thing. At least she got money out of it, though! Lots of money. Lots of drinking and gambling money. "So, like... we'll be gettin' a good pay from doin' this, right General... uh..."

Shit, she forgot the name. "... Vaclav?"

Nailed it.

Man he's evil

Valter chuckled at Mercedes' stumbling, thankfully amused rather than enraged. "Valter, but I appreciate the effort. Yes, I'm rather skeptical of Seth's return also. However, Renais may be employing dark magic... Reports of the walking dead are no rarity amongst patrols." he mused, seeming unphased by the concept of the undead. "I'm sure you'll be able to find a few answers near Rigwald, or perhaps even slay another general, that would be delightful."

Close enough, Mercedes thought to herself as she actually tried paying attention and listening for once. Still, if that General that the group was fighting right when she joined them - man, talk about timing! - was still alive, then there'd be some major problems.

Unless they just stuck the farmboy out there and him deal with it. That sounded like a good plan, right?

Alex held the urge to elbow Mercedes in the gut when she mispronounced the general's name. Thankfully Valter was in a rather forgiving mood. Never thought I'd see that... Not that it helped Alex any. His everything still creeped her out, especially his voice. Forcing herself not to shudder nor look away out of the disrespect it could represent, Alex put on her best poker face while she heard Valter reinforce the suggestion he'd made. "Alright, that sounds like a fair idea, Sir. Do ya have a day planned fer us to march out? Mayhaps we'll join a bigger group on tha way there? Or are we jus' reinforcing the troops at Rigwald on our own?"

Risa had stayed fairly quiet during the meeting, as Valter's presence was unnerving to say the least, and not because of his position as a general. However, even after the others had asked their questions, it felt like they were missing one important detail. "Erm, general, how long ago was the attack?" It was entirely possible that Rigwald had fallen already and they would be walking into a trap, and the more time passed, the more likely it seemed.

"Perhaps a few days, current reports suggest that it's likely to fall within the week" he replied, his eyes fixed on Risa. "Without intervention, it's unlikely to stay that way... hence why you people are being involved."

He gestured to a chart on the wall, most likely that of the fort itself.

"Enemy forces are likely to approach from the north and attempt to breach the walls. The fort has a reasonable sized garrison but it is likely to be depleted. I shall be sending you with additional support, a small force to improve our chances. Edgar, I would like you to lead this outing, seconded by Thwomp. If there are any supplies or questions you have, ask now... otherwise we are finished here. You are to depart the morning after next."

Wow, Edgar sure is raisin' in favor. Next thing they'll be givin' him an official command title n' all that. Alex mused, looking at the chart in the wall. At least they had an idea of what to expect there, now. "Should we expect ta meet anyone important handlin' the forces stationed there?" Alex idly asked, thinking about what else would be nice to know. "Yeah, if there's any weaponry ya reckon we could use in tha mission with our competence, that'd be much appreciated, Sir. I'm tha only one here that uses magic staves, if there's any that could of help tha group's chances, I'd be glad to take. If you think it's fair, 'course." She suggested, "Morning after tomorrow is plenty of time to prepare. Understood."

"Er, I do got meself a question fer supplies, ol' Valter, sir." Fred scratched his head. "Been thinkin' I'd be more effective'n all iffin I could use more weapons. Already got me a lance, an axe and a sword swinging around. Think you could pervide me a bow to get to trainin' with?" Fred would be a jack of all trades, the best way to handle fighting properly!

Mercedes looked around and listened to everyone asking about new weapons. Her axe was getting kind of... well, it was about ready to fall apart. Then again, she got lucky with the creepy general not flipping his shit at her forgetting his name, so... Maybe she'd wait to ask about free axes until after? Yeah, good plan. Clearly not able to backfire at all.

Besides, she needed to keep all her spectacular dosh. Drinking wasn't cheap.

Evil charity

Valter laughed, nodding his head. "Now that's more like it. I find such formalities dull, things are much better when one reaches out for what they desire. I shall arrange for suitable equipment to be delivered to you all." A soldier leaned over to Valter, whispering something in his ear. The general smiled, standing himself up.

Now, I think that shall be all. I have other matters to attend to. I look forward to seeing your results."

Striding out the door, Valter was gone within seconds. It seemed that he had something important to deal with.

Items have been added to the convoy!

As Valter left the room, Mercedes looked around. These people seemed way too serious right now... was that because that guy creeped them all out? She figured that it was kind of justified, considering the fact that he was really fucking creepy, but...

"Aiunno, he seems like a decent guy." Mercedes piped up, shrugging her shoulders. "So, who's up for a drink? I'm buyin'!"

Alex sighed when Valter left the room, feeling her tension drop. Not only a higher-up, tha guy's darn creepy. How am I supposed ta get a good impression? She leaned on the table for a moment, catching wind of Mercedes' comment. "Dunno about the man, haven't heard a lot good 'bout him but... that meeting was pretty sane, true." She considered the offer, "Y'know what? Maybe I'm in. Tomorrow is a free day, right?" Don't think I've ever tried a drink before, now that I do think... Well, what could go wrong? She's payin'.

Having spent some time looking over the new tomes that Valter had given them (and being quite pleased with them as well), Thea had found the curious knife that Old Man Copperbottom had mentioned would be worth a large amount of money. Deciding to head down into town to the pawn shop, she brought it along, figuring she could at least find out how much it was worth, if nothing else.

Thea swaps Bless for Sharp Knife, heads to the pawn shop

Being unable to suppress a sigh, Kassem began to leave just about as quickly as Valter. He had many, many things to say about him at that moment, but no interest in dealing with the consequences of speaking them.

"Yeah, sure, a drink sounds fun," he answered Mercedes, forcing the memory of the wyvern rider out of his mind. Kassem had a bit of experience in pubs. They made good place to find things out or swipe a few things when everyone was to drunk to notice before he'd fled. There were a few other things he needed to do, but je could get them done tomorrow. Besides, Mercedes was paying, so he'd nothing to lose.

"Well! He ain't that bad, I reckon!" Fred nodded, and decided what he was going to do next, now that he'd gotten his request in. "Guess I'd better work the ol' gears and hit the arena!" Satisfied with how the talk went, and with how their plans had gone, Fred walked himself out of the room after Valter and proceeded down to the arena, ready to knock some heads.

Come get some

Fred's trip to the arena was as standard, perhaps one day they'd actually talk to the guard at the door. His opponent was a bizarre garbed man, with an air of ingenuity about him. "You look like a nice guy, how about a fair fight? I'm sure we're going to have some real fun. You look more fun than the guy with the eyepatch, that's for sure."

[spoiler=He wasn't]

Honesty, L2 Rogue @Sharp Knife
Corrosion
HP: 33/33
Atk: 4x2
Hit: 81
Crt: 0
VS
Fred, L1 THE WALL @Training Sword
Great Shield, Luna
HP: 39/39
Atk: 7
Hit: 70
Crt: 4
Fred attacks and deals 7 damage! (26/33)
(46, 58, 9, 76)
Honesty strikes back for 4 damage! (35/39)
(100, 38, 42)
Honesty doubles for 4 damage! (31/39)
(49, 35, 67)
Honest corrodes Fred's sword for 2!
Honesty's attack is blocked by Fred's Great Shield!
(73, 95, 6)
Fred smashes back for 7 damage! (19/33)
(23, 28, 14, 45)
Honesty gets blocked by Fred's Great Shield!
(10, 92, 15)
Fred thwomps Honesty for 7 damage! (12/33)
(32, 88, 37, 33)
Honesty returns for 4 damage! (27/39)
(20, 28, 25)
(5, 98, 5)
Honesty corrodes Fred's sword for 1!
(34, 50, 17)
Fred smashes Honesty for 7 damage! (5/33)
(20, 25, 9, 52)
Honesty stabs Fred for 4 damage! (23/33)
(48, 55, 25)
Honesty corrodes Fred's sword for 1!
Fred's sword sparkles blue!
Fred finishes Honesty!
(98, 24, 18, 10)
Fred gains 33 XP!
Fred gains 18 Sword WEXP!
Fred gains 400 gold and his deposit back!

Pawn dat knife
The store owner seemed as apathetic towards Thea as he had with the others. "If you've got something you want to sell or buy, do so. Otherwise, there's no point in you loitering."
Brave Sword (1/30) - 500G
Steel Sword (30/35) - 450G
Iron Lance (22/45) - 200G
Javelin (12/20) - 270G
Hammer (9/20) - 120G
Hand Axe (13/20) - 250G
Longbow (4/20) - 60G
Heal (20/30) - 230G
Fire (13/40) - 100G
Strange Idol - 200G