Should Casual Return?

Zerosabers

Casual mode?  

198 members have voted

1. 1. Should it return?

• Yes
    • No

1.) Those are not the same. The very comment you quoted states the same. Force =/= influence.

2.) People may enjoy a challenge, but often not one unsuited to their expectations or patience. Being used to easy games often makes people hesitant to play ones that feel too hard for them. You're also now making some silly claims about how other people think, the thing you think you criticize me for.

3. No. I did not suggest that, and I suggest you check what I did say if you don't yet know it.

Stop trying to pick a fight, please. You're getting offended for no good reason and getting nowhere.

Ah, forget it. You ain't even readin'.

• Replies 587
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh my this thread...

zoJCDYB.gif

In all seriousness...

I don't see why everyone is blowing up at each other over something so ridiculous such as an OPTION

in my opinion casual is a nice little way for people that want to try out the games can go without feeling the need to be pressured with permadeath and all that shit

but people such as myself that have been playing the games before the option of casual was introduced, already can get used to most decisions or whatever

no need or feel of elitism or whatever, i'm just playing a game that I enjoy, with it just having one mechanic that usually scares away most others

in my opinion, if they want to bring casual mode back, go right ahead, it was an option in FE12 and FE13, so those new can get into the game and those used to permadeath can go for classic

It's an OPTION on the game, dude

no need to be at each others throats...

Edited by Shockmaster

Thank you for your sanity, I think I can stop beating my head on a rock now.

Just gonna pose a quick question out of curiosity's sake. I think I'm in the minority, but am I seriously the only one of the veterans here actually invested in casual mode and actually have fun with it?

I think I tried it once on one of my Lunatic attempts, but it felt wrong to me. I have nothing against its inclusion, but Casual ain't for me.

Edited by The Geek

Just gonna pose a quick question out of curiosity's sake. I think I'm in the minority, but am I seriously the only one of the veterans here actually invested in casual mode and actually have fun with it?

Not in the way it has been implemented so far, personally. If you apply casual to one of the other games without the other horribly unbalanced mechanics, I might be more open to it. The entire new engine is a travesty of balance. Casual doesn't help that at all. It amplifies it in my opinion, which does it no favors as a concept on its own.

"Higuchi: That’s right. So because we wanted not only beginners, but also the ‘lapsed’ Fire Emblem players to be able to casually enjoy the game, we decided that, instead of only making it a part of a certain difficulty level, we would let the players decide whether or not characters could be revived. Ultimately we wanted to let the players choose the way they would play the game. Targeting not only beginners, but everyone, who wanted to enjoy the game casually, we decided to call the mode with the ability to revive characters ‘Casual’. And for the people who wanted to play this game in the same way as always, we called the other mode ‘Classic’."

"Ultimately we wanted to let the players choose the way they would play the game."

I guess in the end they were convinced to give player choice more weight than a traditional feature.

"Higuchi: That’s right. So because we wanted not only beginners, but also the ‘lapsed’ Fire Emblem players to be able to casually enjoy the game, we decided that, instead of only making it a part of a certain difficulty level, we would let the players decide whether or not characters could be revived. Ultimately we wanted to let the players choose the way they would play the game. Targeting not only beginners, but everyone, who wanted to enjoy the game casually, we decided to call the mode with the ability to revive characters ‘Casual’. And for the people who wanted to play this game in the same way as always, we called the other mode ‘Classic’."
"Ultimately we wanted to let the players choose the way they would play the game."
I guess in the end they were convinced to give player choice more weight than a traditional feature.

Eh, fair enough.

Of course, I'm always going to argue that Casual mode would be better left out, but I think this particular thread deserves its rest from arguing already, haha.

Edited by Topazd255

Definitely not, I run a casual F-Robin file to mainly enjoy the different supports I can got with ease without dealing with deaths and all that frustrations in my main Luna+ file. It is a great relaxing tool for those who had beaten the game at the highest difficultly that want a break. I am extremely pooped after Luna+ and casual mode got me right back into the game.

You're not the only one, Rey. If I just want to blaze through a game with a new avatar without fussing over difficulty, normal casual is a pretty nice way to go. I played lunatic classic to prove to myself I can, but I play on the easier modes just to goof around.

Not a SF vet, and I don't know if I'll ever play on Casual. Though I doubt I will, since I spend more time talking and thinking about how the games could be better/possible new features rather than actually playing the latest installment.

Edited by omega zero

So, with even some people here enjoying casual... why can't we just agree with the devs?

Removing a feature should have an overwhelming benefit to justify it.

Edited by shadowofchaos

As someone who typically plays on Classic Mode (I just prefer that mode, to be honest), yes, Casual Mode should return. If people want to choose to make the game less punishing, thus increasing how approachable the game is in such a way that numbers don't have to be tweaked (as in another vector of altering difficulty), then sure.

Went back through the thread and counted up all the posts that were either hostile or insulting.

I found just ten. Nine came from people arguing on behalf of Casual Mode (like half of which were Sunwoo), and the other one was me sarcastically copy-pasting another hostile quote.

There really isn't much popcorn / drama here.

Went back through the thread and counted up all the posts that were either hostile or insulting.

I found just ten. Nine came from people arguing on behalf of Casual Mode (like half of which were Sunwoo), and the other one was me sarcastically copy-pasting another hostile quote.

Was that really necessary? And after people only just stopped fighting? Edited by The Protagonist

So, with even some people here enjoying casual... why can't we just agree with the devs?

Removing a feature should have an overwhelming benefit to justify it.

If you want people to enjoy the pleasant feeling of tension that you enjoy (you being someone who loves Classic, like the devs and many fans), will adding Casual mode help you convert them, or will it make them feel even more comfortable in dismissing Classic mode indefinitely?

If you want people to enjoy the pleasant feeling of tension that you enjoy (you being someone who loves Classic, like the devs and many fans), will adding Casual mode help you convert them, or will it make them feel even more comfortable in dismissing Classic mode indefinitely?

If they choose to do so, that's their choice. Sure, it would be nice if they went and played Classic mode and I'm sure people do, but if they just want to pick up the game for a bit while they have the time and finish a chapter, they can use Casual mode for that.

Doesn't make anyone less of a player for what mode they pick.

Is calling out names really needed? Really the entire reason the heat started was some disagreements which you then decided to sprinkle kindling on.

If they choose to do so, that's their choice. Sure, it would be nice if they went and played Classic mode and I'm sure people do, but if they just want to pick up the game for a bit while they have the time and finish a chapter, they can use Casual mode for that.

You didn't answer the question. The goal is to get them to appreciate the same thing as me. When developing a game, I have to make decisions that will affect the player's choice and steer them towards the one I want them to make. Same with any work of art and interpretation you want them to get from it.

The devs could indeed add some 'secret ending' or post game quests that are only available in classic mode, and give the reason that it is a reward to players for being loyal to the original structure. Another way to encourage players to try Classic is to flat out create and advertise official advanced tactics videos that you can watch on your 3DS. Don't they have such videos for the latest Smash games?

I liked the idea of casual mode and hope it returns. Even as someone who has played all the other FEs as they came out in the west, its nice to be able to turn off the permadeath at my leisure and play run of the game, I dunno, casually. As in, not having to worry about whether I left a flier in range of an archer I didn't see/forgot about or hoping that my unit survives an onslaught of enemies at a critical chokepoint in the enemy phase. Those situtuations are great gameplay experiences and all, but I like to have the option to not have to stress over those and potentially redo a chapter when I don't feel like I need the extra challenge. And casual mode hasn't detracted from my enjoyment of classic at all; in fact, sometimes I feel like they compliment each other, and make me appreciate the different strategies I can do in the other.

So yeah. Options are good. Options are great. They cater to as many as possible, and that's awesome~!

Definitely not! Its fun to screw around with things I'd normally not be able to do in other FE games. And have a nice vacation from unit loss stress. ^_^

I think you're missing the point. No one's calling anyone else less of the player, and that was never really a point of contention.