Etrian Odyssey

Sunwoo

Hi, you-know-who-you-are :P:

Also, I gave EO:MD a try when Zodok came over to my house, but I can't say I'm a big fan of how it works from what I've seen. I think I'm gonna pass on this one.

I don't blame you the game is not for everyone. There are a few problems from what I heard like horrible AI from both allied units as well as enemy units are dumb as rocks. Example: Allied AI Runemaster keeps using Fire Runes and wasting TP to almost nothing and the enemy keeps trying to run away making the Runemaster miss anyways jeez >_< .

• Replies 811
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This sounds like some of the stupid behavior the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon AI does. Speaking of. . .JUST came home with this game in tow! The art book is so very pretty~! I'm glad that the male/female art is relatively equal, in terms of fanservice (or lack thereof).

It gives an overview of the classes (dunno if more are unlocked, don't spoil me), as well as a shot of the various facilities. I showed it to my grandma. She wants to know if Atlus will make a jigsaw puzzle out of the scenery. :P:

If your grandma asked you that, I'm guessing there's some really impressive scenery then. Even if I don't get the game myself, I'll be looking over the shoulder of someone who DOES have it :P:

Got my copy of EOMD and it's okay, I'm liking it so far. I just got to the fourth dungeon and I really dig the EOIII remixes throughout the game, especially that boss tune. I'm also really liking how friendly this game is towards customization, while some characters might be stronger than others, using any of them is perfectly viable. I wish that there were more classes as opposed to just ten, but for the ten that are there, I like them all.

Currently have an all male team of Prince, Gunner, Landtank and Hexer. The Prince and Gunner do most of the work while my Landtank deals with bosses and the odd enemy the Gunner doesn't snipe by the time he gets there, while my Hexer right now just poisons and binds things. I want him to later learn offensive attacks, but right now just hexes as they take up a lot of TP.

On the other hand however, there are a few nitpicks that I have problems with. First being how there are only two portrait options for each class (so far), as opposed to the usual four. I also really hate the fact that conditionals aren't highlighted any more, which makes it a pain to resource extract. The NPCs are rather bland as well, I'm finding myself to not have an opinion of any of them, as they don't really have anything to like about them. Lastly, I do wish DLC wasn't a thing in EO, suppose it isn't as bad as it was in EOUII, but getting a potion that boosts one's level by three for that one repeatable DLC mission is a bit overkill.

EDIT: And the self buff fail glitch has been the death of me for a few runs.

All in all, I'd give this game a 7/10, it's not a main series EO so I don't want to hammer it from deviating from it too much, but I feel as though it definitely took an unnecessary step back in terms of a convenient menu.

Edited by Maji

Just started Etrian Mystery Dungeon. It is kicking my ass, and I am thoroughly enjoying it. Current party is Landy, Gunner, Runemaster, and Dancer ('cause Marjoram's a strong independent woman who don't need no Protector or Medic. . .I'll regret this later).

Also, free DLC. YES!

I'll...just replay EOU and hope Europe/Australia region gets a release date for EOU2 and/or EO5 :/:

Can any of you name your Runemasters Rothene so that I can play the game in spirit? :3:

I'll...just replay EOU and hope Europe/Australia region gets a release date for EOU2 and/or EO5 :/:

Can any of you name your Runemasters Rothene so that I can play the game in spirit? :3:

If no one else reports having done this by the time I get my copy of MD, I will do so.

SURE! I need another one ATM, so it works out~!

Europe needs ALL the Etrian!

Finished the main story of EMD. Bosses felt a lot easier than regular enemies and DOEs but that might be because you get to control all your party members during boss fights and not rely on the iffy AI.

Overall it's a really fun game. The soundtrack is very good. I love entering dungeons and hearing the remixed music. Although I wish there wasn't that glitch with the Princess', it makes soloing with them a pain.

Wound up renaming the main Runemaster to Rothene. I felt it was more fitting.

Ate my first party wipe. It was fun spamming items, knowing full well that I'd die in the process.

Best part of EMD:

[spoiler=Fourth dungeon]Monster house on top of the stairway needed to access the boss.

Who died a horrible death the next time 'round, because Rothene stood off to the side and basically used fireballs to kill it. Everyone else kept from using anything meaningful. Fresh Waltz and Medic Bullet were lifesavers!

I got the game and have started to play. I have a landwhatever, a hexer, a dancer, and rothene II, my female runemaster. Rothene II is probably the most useful character after my landwhatever (I named her yunica).

Aside from my landwhatever my characters die very fast.

Runemaster/Hexer are EXTREMELY fragile - so much that Rothene has a Life Belt permanently attached to him, and any interesting weapons he wields have +HP forges on them! Dancers are slightly more durable, but not much. If you want to keep both the Runemaster and Hexer, I'd swap the Dancer for a Medic/Sovereign. The former can auto-heal people, and the latter is a bulkier support class.

Runemaster/Hexer are EXTREMELY fragile - so much that Rothene has a Life Belt permanently attached to him, and any interesting weapons he wields have +HP forges on them! Dancers are slightly more durable, but not much. If you want to keep both the Runemaster and Hexer, I'd swap the Dancer for a Medic/Sovereign. The former can auto-heal people, and the latter is a bulkier support class.

I wanted to try having 3 squishies. If I end up dropping someone it'll probably be the dancer. I think hexers look cool so I don't want to drop mine, and runemaster seems to be pretty great. I think I heard that sovereign skills are a little glitchy or something?

Edited by Severlan

The Sovereign's orders have a glitch where the Sovereign casting the order can avoid them. It makes it annoying because they'll continue to cast orders until they stop avoiding their orders. Orders will always hit the party members properly so no worrying about prevent order missing them or something.

The Sovereign's elemental arms will always hit the designated target, but if you continue to stack the effects before they're worn off you permanently increase the targets strength by 3 for each extra cast. So you can break the game like that.

I don't think they tested the Sovereign class all that much...

The Sovereign's elemental arms will always hit the designated target, but if you continue to stack the effects before they're worn off you permanently increase the targets strength by 3 for each extra cast. So you can break the game like that.

Well in that case there's no way I'm learning those skills.